Start by marking “Superman: Dawnbreaker (DC Icons, #4)” as Want to Read:
Superman: Dawnbreaker (DC Icons, #4)

Superman: Dawnbreaker

(DC Icons #4)

When the dawn breaks, a hero rises.

His power is beyond imagining.

Clark Kent has always been faster, stronger--better--than everyone around him. But he wasn't raised to show off, and drawing attention to himself could be dangerous. Plus, it's not like he's earned his powers . . . yet.

But power comes with a price.

Lately it's difficult to hold back and keep his heroics in the
Published March 7th 2019 by Penguin (first published March 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.
Isabelle In addition to actual ratings based on ARCs (Advance Reader/Review Copies), which usually come with reviews explaining the rating and helping hype up…moreIn addition to actual ratings based on ARCs (Advance Reader/Review Copies), which usually come with reviews explaining the rating and helping hype up the book leading up to its release, some people will give a rating before they even read the book, based on their opinion of the author/the subject/their mood.(less)

Emily May
I read this book after enjoying to varying degrees the other three DC Icons novels: Wonder Woman: Warbringer, Batman: Nightwalker and Catwoman: Soulstealer. I was really hoping that the author could make me love Clark Kent. A major problem for me with Superman is that he is so irredeemably boring. Growing up, I saw Spiderman as the lovable nerd, Batman as the brooding bad boy, Wonder Woman was the queer feminist, and Catwoman was a sexy rebel. Superman, though, was the douchey jock. In Dawnbreak ...more
emi
1.2.18 Update.

So Batman came out today, which is exciting and all, but this book is still a year away from its release date.

This is a crime and I will be suing.

Prereview:

So I'm not a Superman fan. He's too perfect with his sleek hair and too good of eye sight. Flying around, saving people without even asking if they want to be saved. Who does he think he is?

No, Clark Kent is where it's at. Not only is Clark kind and nerdy, but he also has a steady career, which is incredibly sexy. Whereas,
Adam Silvera
HERE FOR THIS, DE LA PENA!

Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
I SERIOUSLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO MAKE OF ALL THESE SUPERHERO STANDALONES HEADED OUR WAY BUT HELL YEAH COME AT ME BRO

Hamad
Mar 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Wonder Woman: ★★★★
Batman: ★★
Catwoman: ★★★
Superman: ??

The whole series was underwhelming so I hope it has a good conclusion at least!
Also can you answer this: Batman Vs Superman? (Psst, the right answer is Superman obviously :P)
Katelyn C
May 22, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
What makes me saltiest of all is the fact this book has a 3.8 rating and it's not even released yet. 👏 Don't 👏 Judge 👏 The 👏 Book 👏 If 👏 Ya 👏 Haven't 👏 Read 👏 It 👏 Yet 👏
Khurram
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this book 3.5 but I think it deserved a round up rather then a down.

This is a Smallville style Superman novel. The writing is a bit slow, but the story is well written.

For people who are fans of the Smallville series this would be a great book. I am not such a huge fan. I did like Clark getting used to his powers. Gaining life experience. I do think the community Vs racism angle was quite well done.

The unlike the other books in the DC icons series this book stays pretty close
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
Oh i did not realize this had a cover reveal! Out of all the dc icons i am most excited about this one because omg teenage clark keeeeeeeeent!!
Chad
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I thought this was the most well-written of the DC Icons series. It keeps the main gist of the Superman mythos intact. Nor is Clark written as a lovesick dummy, like Bruce Wayne in Batman: Nightwalker. I liked the parallels brought in by dealing with the immigration issue when technically Superman is also an illegal alien. Clark's supporting cast, Lana, Gloria, Bryan, Jonathan all serve a purpose. I was also happy to see Clark and Lana's relationship was platonic. Clark's struggling to figure ou ...more
Joshua (ithildins)
Feb 22, 2018 marked it as circular-files-did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Change the author due to the allegations against Matt de la Pena - screw the publication deadline, extend it if you have to, but GET A DIFFERENT AUTHOR - there are plenty of YA authors, male and female, who DON'T have a history of harassment and indecent conduct
Elena
May 23, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
5/23/16

Okay Matt, please let me grow a bigger love for Superman. Not Henry Cavill, but Superman. Please.

Sherna (bookwormswiftie)
why is this book still being published? why is matt de la pena still being given a platform? we have cancelled jay asher and james dashner and other authors accused of sexual harassment. why not matt de la pena?
don't read this book. don't support this author.
Alexandra ☆Reading By Starlight☆
A YA novel centered around SUPERMAN????

description

Um, F**K YES! FINALLY! I LOVE ME SOME CLARK KENT/SUPERMAN- #SWOON (am I right ladies)
Will 2018 hurry up already? Just take my money already :(

maegan ✷
so.

are we casually going to let this book be written by an author who has been accused of sexual harassing others??? this book is still set to be released next year, so please do something about this @ publishing team. change the author, please.
Suzanne
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.0-3.5*.

I was torn between three stars to three and a half stars on this one. I enjoyed it for the most part but it was an underwhelming account for the man of steel. I really enjoyed all the DC Icon books (Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and Batman) Buy really had high expectations for this one since it covered Superman. It was still good, don’t get me wrong, but like others I had high expectations.

My quick and simple overall: probably my expectations that effected my experience more so still giving
Adah Udechukwu
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superman: Dawnbreaker was a bit underwhelming. It was a fast read and it was quite short. I expected the novel to be longer and have more action scenes like other DC Icons novels.
Mar 31, 2016 marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
4 popular YA writers each writing a Superhero novel??? HELL YES, TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!

Publishing in 2017:
Wonder Woman by Leigh Bardugo
Batman by Marie Lu
Superman by Matt de la Pena
Catwoman by Sarah J Maas
Benjamin
Jun 26, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I'm delirious, but I think the Superman on the cover looks hot.

I'm so ready for this book to come out.
Rissa
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superman 3.75⭐
Clark Kent is just trying to be a normal teenage boy at Smallville high school but his abilities are getting him into trouble.
I enjoyed the writing and the characters it wasnt great but it was really good.

Series ranking:
1. Catwoman
2. Superman
3. Batman
4. Wonder Woman
Nicole
Feb 13, 2018 marked it as not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Will not read any of his books due to the accusations of sexual harassment and I believe the victims.
Yusra  ✨
Aug 16, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
mm i actually have a hate/love relationship with this cover
Drewthereader19
This was such a nice ending to this series. I wish there was a sequel to this novel though. U can't leave me like that! Loved the ending, I was kind of expecting him to say what he said but u know I love a cheesy ending. Lol!(:
Trisha  (The Tea Reader)
Can someone tell me why the rest of the series is written by popular and well established YA authors, and here is the final book and I have never heard of this writer?
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
It pains me to give this 2 - 2.5 stars but it was not what I was expecting or hoping for. Forgive me now for saying the cover seemed to be the most enjoyable thing about this book.

Womp womp

I'll type my review soon and post.

---------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

I consider myself a huge superhero nerd and while I prefer Marvel over DC, I give everyone a chance. I have enjoyed reading the DC Icons series and was ecstatic to read the last book in the series
andrea caro
3.5/4 stars? Idk how to feel about this book. A large chunk of it was about racism/immigration, but I feel like the author didn’t really explore it well. Idk, RTC. I’m just glad I finished this series.
Yessireads
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I am a huge DC fan and its amazing to read something about our fav characters that is other than a comic book. I loved all 4 of these books and i want more like their is the flash, green arrow, martian manhunter and many more and i think they all deserve a book of their own. Who's with me??
Kara
Mar 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, cousin, but even as a YA book this is really booorrring!

Instead of Superman, we have Selfdoubtboy.

I gave it an hour that I wish I could have back. DNF at 13%
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
ohmygod how come this book has a cover and I didn't know about it??

Not sure how I feel about it. I think it has a certain photoshop weirdness like the Catwoman cover.

Maybe it'll grow on me, idk.
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
I really don't like Superman ...

but this cover THOUGH.

Looks crazy intense and I'm kind of hyped for this book.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book cover 2 15 Apr 10, 2019 11:20AM
  • Untitled
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Fall Like Thieves
  • The Half King (Untitled #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Untitled (Alex Stern, #2)
  • Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5)
  • Catwoman: Soulstealer (DC Icons, #3)
  • Scorch Dragons (Elementals, #2)
  • Skyhunter
  • Ember Days
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #4)
  • Jack of Hearts
  • Untitled
  • Untitled Catalina Book (Hidden Legacy #6)
Matt de la Peña is the New York Times best-selling, Newbery-medal-winning author of six young adult novels and four picture books. Matt received his MFA in creative writing from San Diego State University and his BA from the University of the Pacific, where he attended school on a full athletic scholarship for basketball. de la Peña currently lives in Brooklyn, NY. He teaches creative writing and ...more

DC Icons (4 books)
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)
  • Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2)
  • Catwoman: Soulstealer (DC Icons, #3)