Start by marking “Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)” as Want to Read:
Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)

Sofia Valdez, Future Prez

(Questioneers Picture Books)

In the newest picture book in the mega-bestselling Questioneers series, Sofia Valdez fights for change and finds her voice as a community leader!

Every morning, Abuelo walks Sofia to school . . . until one day, when Abuelo hurts his ankle at a local landfill and he can no longer do so. Sofia misses her Abuelo and wonders what she can do about the dangerous Mount Trashmore.
Published November 5th 2019 by Abrams Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
chelka
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
WHAT DID THEY DO WITH THE TRASH???? When Sofia & her abuelo come across the giant, dangerous landfill, I assumed they were going to do something about it. Their answer, though, is to build a new park. It's never straight up said that they replace the trash pile with a park. And if that is what they do, where did they move the trash? I love the idea of people getting rid of landfills, but it doesn't change the fact that we still make trash, and our garbage has to go SOMEWHERE. Do they ship ...more
Amy
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book, but I only liked it. The story in and of itself is lovely, particularly Sofia and Abuelo, but the connection to the title is made only at the very end and seems a bit more of an afterthought rather than a statement to drive the story--and with a title like that, I expected it to be more of a force or theme of the book. I don't like to compare, but I can't help but think that I enjoyed Rosie Revere a bit more.
Panda Incognito
Preachy, unrealistic, and disappointing. And, as another reviewer already pointed out, what did the town do with the giant pile of trash that just disappears by the end?? This is a message book, not a well-developed story.
Mimi.Y
Great series but what did they do with all that garbage? Love that they was protesting for a park but where did the trash go?
Stefanie Molinaro
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I especially loved all of Sofia's Sade posters!
LauraW
I have read several of the other books in this series, and have been a bit ambivalent about them. This one, however, I found I liked a lot better. The ways in which the child is helpful and proactive are mostly appropriate to a 2nd grader. It wasn't about making a big deal about some future nebulous (and a bit unrealistic) goal, but rather about things that real kids could potentially do. Sure, it has the tag-line of "Future Prez", but that is more in the spirit of "you can do anything", rather ...more
Guilherme Semionato
This collection is actually quite nice. I'm glad it was translated to Portuguese.
Megan - Alohamora Open a Book
A great addition to Beaty’s Rosie Revere series. Strong woman getting things done. It’s too long for a Storytime, but perfect for parents to read with/to their kids.
Melinda Beatty
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite of Beaty's wonderful rhyming picture books! A fantastic tale about how one person can change their community for the good.
Melanie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was terrific! My favorite so far of the series. I had pre-ordered this and forgotten about it by the time it arrived. About a week later, I read it to my 7 y.o. granddaughter, who loves Rosie Revere, Iggy Peck, but Ada Twist, not so much. Sofia, a sweet soul and a helper, has to figure out how to make something happen—and that it takes more than one person to do it. There’s nothing magical here (except for an adult bureaucrat listening to a child’s idea), just the hard work and many people ...more
paula
We think the girl in the pink coveralls is going to be the next questioneer. What will she be? Astronaut? Sculptor? We can't wait!
Jezire C Akin
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this series of books is absolutely my favorite. I read the first few when teaching second grade and all of the characters are in grade 2. I currently teach 3rd and 4th grade but could see a lot of good connections to make with students in these books. They just have so many great examples of sentences that would be perfect to use for grammar while also having such a great message.
Austria Kovalenko
Not my favourite of the series - but still a good story. I think the others had a more childlike imagination to the character's. This one has the child character, with a strong backstory, but there seems to be a secondary force coming out of this whole book. It's one of those 'let's show the adults that even kids can be adult-like'.
The more I think about it, if I had a child like Sofia then I'd help her bring out that strength in her - probably in the same way as this book pushed it - but I'd
Lian
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
It was achingly tough to give this book 3 stars, because I love the previous books by this talented duo. This latest in the series is a little disappointing. Beaty’s normally infallible rhyming text repeatedly falters and occasionally becomes laborious and repetitive. Roberts’ illustrations are superb but lack the pizazz and detail of the previous books. But most of all, sweet Sofia feels less fleshed out and savvy than the other books celebrating her classmates. There’s just something missing ...more
Diane
“A dreamer. A doer. A real-life go getter. Most people like good, but Sofia liked better.”

After her abuelo injures himself chasing their dog over a mountain of junk (Mt. Trashmore), Sofia is determined to have that mountain turned into a public park. She goes to her neighbors with her idea and everyone has suggestions, but no one seems to want to help her. “They all thought Sofia could build it alone! But how could one girl do so much on her own?”

She heads off to City Hall to plead her case.
Kelley
I love this series of books from Andrea Beaty, and the latest book did not disappoint. I love the clever illustrations and the fantastic rhyming and rhythm of the stories. This book features Sofia who becomes a mini-activist to help create a park to benefit her community. The book focuses on caring for our communities and the people in them, social activism, empathy, and courage. It is hard to find kids picture books that have a great story, great illustration, teach a lesson, and encourage ...more
Amanda Carr
This book was lovely and empowering and oh so sweet!! Love Beaty's books in her "Questioneers Picture Book" series, that includes Iggy Peck, Architect; Rosie Revere, Engineer; Ada Twist, Scientist--whose books encouraging STEAM, and think-outside-the-box-ideas!

It's refreshing to see so many people as color featured in Beaty's books, and that the kiddos work together with everyone to achieve a goal!!! <3
Raven Black
Continuation of the Questioneers books. You will see a few of your old friends (and meet new ones). This is right along the same level of the others. Sofia is a go-getter, even if she has a not so impression second grade voice. This time our character is fighting to clean up her neighborhood. Colorful illustrations that an adult can find interesting to look through (a few modern twists and turns come up) and kids will just love the colors and excitement they show.
Pam
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sofia is organized and brave. She decides that their town needs a new park. She connects with neighbors who offer ideas but no help. Then she tackles City Hall and persuades the Clerk to help her start the project. Soon, everyone is involved and their town gains a wonderful gathering place.
Believe in yourself and be brave when you're scared.
Sara
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think the book was very inspiring. Yes, building a new park must be harder that what the story tells us, but the point is that Sofia started something even though she was in Grade Two. I think the author wants kids to know that their ideas matter, even though they are young. And that we adults should help them. For that I give it 5 starts. Plus I like the pictures.
Kelley Mitchell
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well done again. I like that the Questioneers are so representative of race and gender. I like that they encourage science and engineering and bravery and perseverance. And that they do it all without feeling preachy. Well done! I also love the treasure hunt aspect of finding the earlier book characters in this book. Treasure hunts are awesome when you are curled up on the couch reading.
Nikki
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Rosie Revere, Engineer is my favorite book in this series, but Sofia Valdez ranks high up there too. Such a great book!
LeeAnn Machosky Pomrenke
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, and so do my 5 and 9 year old daughters! The compassion and determination of the title character Sofia is inspiring, and it's about community organizing. I recommended it to my city councilwoman, who is ordering copies to read at the schools in her ward.
Jaymie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I wanted a bigger punch in this one - maybe that the protesting/fighting back portions might have happened sooner so they were bigger. Or maybe just more activism in general. The "Future Prez" part of the title also gave me different expectations than the book delivered.
Elizabeth
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore this whole series.
Alice
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars
Lindsay Ross
This book is dedicated to you. You are braver than you know and mightier than you can ever imagine. Be bold.
Ryan Miller
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant addition to the already magnificent Questioneers series. Perfect to inspire kids to take risks and change the world.
Josh Newhouse
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 19nov
Very cute. What is significance of any of Sade? I don’t know much other than a singer! Inspiring ending of hope! (And lots of cheese)
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the character Sofia and the theme of the book.

• Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • Ruby’s Worry
  • The Thank You Letter
  • Explorers
  • Reading Beauty
For more information, visit my website (www.AndreaBeaty.com).

Also, visit www.Questioneers.com for posters, activities, educator resources, and other information about the Questioneer books.

Further, check out Story Time From Space to see Ada Twist and Rosie Revere read at the International Space Station by astronauts! It’s out of this world.

Questioneers Picture Books (4 books)
  • Rosie Revere, Engineer