Start by marking “Sofia Valdez, Future Prez” as Want to Read:
Sofia Valdez, Future Prez

Sofia Valdez, Future Prez

(Questioneers Picture Books)

The newest picture book from the creators of Iggy Peck, Architect; Rosie Revere, Engineer; and Ada Twist, Scientist stars Sofia Valdez, a community leader who stands up for what she believes in!

Every morning, Abuelo walks Sofia to school . . . until one day, when Abuelo hurts his ankle at a local landfill and he can no longer do so. Sofia misses her Abuelo and wonders w
Published November 5th 2019 by Abrams Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Sofia Valdez, Future Prez
Amy
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book, but I only liked it. The story in and of itself is lovely, particularly Sofia and Abuelo, but the connection to the title is made only at the very end and seems a bit more of an afterthought rather than a statement to drive the story--and with a title like that, I expected it to be more of a force or theme of the book. I don't like to compare, but I can't help but think that I enjoyed Rosie Revere a bit more.
Chelka Posladek
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
WHAT DID THEY DO WITH THE TRASH???? When Sofia & her abuelo come across the giant, dangerous landfill, I assumed they were going to do something about it. Their answer, though, is to build a new park. It's never straight up said that they replace the trash pile with a park. And if that is what they do, where did they move the trash? I love the idea of people getting rid of landfills, but it doesn't change the fact that we still make trash, and our garbage has to go SOMEWHERE. Do they ship their ...more
Lata
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love these positive and inspiring stories with their whimsical illustrations, and how kids from one book show up in the background or participate in the activities in the current book.
La Coccinelle
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Unlike the other characters in this series who are focused on STEM pursuits, Sofia is more of a community activist. After her grandfather injures himself on a mountain of trash, Sofia decides that the community needs to get rid of the unsightly mess... and have a park instead. But just having an idea isn't enough. After consulting with her neighbours, she sets off for City Hall to try to make things official, only to run up against bureaucracy. Will Sofia be able to achieve her goal?

I didn't lik
Panda Incognito
Preachy, unrealistic, and disappointing. And, as another reviewer already pointed out, what did the town do with the giant pile of trash that just disappears by the end?? This is a message book, not a well-developed story.
Mimi.Y
Great series but what did they do with all that garbage? Love that they was protesting for a park but where did the trash go?
Stefanie Molinaro
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I especially loved all of Sofia's Sade posters!
Jeimy
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sofía Valdez is a young activist who will steal your heart with her determination to improve her community.
Austria Kovalenko
Not my favourite of the series - but still a good story. I think the others had a more childlike imagination to the character's. This one has the child character, with a strong backstory, but there seems to be a secondary force coming out of this whole book. It's one of those 'let's show the adults that even kids can be adult-like'.
The more I think about it, if I had a child like Sofia then I'd help her bring out that strength in her - probably in the same way as this book pushed it - but I'd s
Ella
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a great book about a young girl who achieves things for her community by being strong and working for what she believes in. I think the title of the book is a bit strange as it doesn’t seem to be what the book is about, however the idea does link. I also thought they’d be more of an emphasis on the removal of the waste and why/how this was done rather than just skimming over this as this would be an important issue to raise with children. I do however think the positive and strong messag ...more
LauraW
I have read several of the other books in this series, and have been a bit ambivalent about them. This one, however, I found I liked a lot better. The ways in which the child is helpful and proactive are mostly appropriate to a 2nd grader. It wasn't about making a big deal about some future nebulous (and a bit unrealistic) goal, but rather about things that real kids could potentially do. Sure, it has the tag-line of "Future Prez", but that is more in the spirit of "you can do anything", rather ...more
Nancy Kotkin
A rhyming picture book about being courageous to help others and your community. The child-grandparent relationship is touching.

The title is a stretch since Sofia is a young community organizer, not a politician-in-the-making. (I used to be a community organizer myself and it isn't training to become president; the skill sets required are actually rather different.) The "future prez" is only a mention tacked on at the end because it rhymes with "Valdez."
Kelly
I liked the story a lot. A young girl takes action when her Abuelo gets injured on a pile of junk. The only thing holding me back from giving this book 4 stars is the title; it is briefly mentioned at the end. I think that it would have meant more to me (personally) if the title reflected the girl's activism, not just trying to continue the series with a cute title.
Nikki
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Rosie Revere, Engineer is my favorite book in this series, but Sofia Valdez ranks high up there too. Such a great book! ...more
Chance Lee
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
A valuable and important message about social organization paired with the stunning illustrations I expect from David Roberts. The poetry doesn't flow as well as I'd hoped here. Little details, like a statue of Ida B. Wells, add to the atmosphere and themes of the story. Sofia for Prez 2048!
Karrie
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Purpose in mind - check, but told with humour charm, rhyme, something for the adults and illustrations you can keep finding things in.

My favourite line “most people like good, but Sofia likes better”.
James Payne
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
You cannot read this books in your head. It must be read aloud.

I'm a huge fan of the entire Questioneers picture book series and read the first three to my Year 4 class. These are the types of books the children complain at if you happen to stop midway through reading for a sip of water. They're wonderfully written and you could spend twice as long looking at the images than reading the book itself. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to read this book to my class so instead I sat on my bed, and read
Melinda Beatty
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite of Beaty's wonderful rhyming picture books! A fantastic tale about how one person can change their community for the good.
Guilherme Semionato
This collection is actually quite nice. I'm glad it was translated to Portuguese.
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
A great addition to Beaty’s Rosie Revere series. Strong woman getting things done. It’s too long for a Storytime, but perfect for parents to read with/to their kids.
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the character Sofia and the theme of the book.
Lynn
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Community Engagement

Sofia Valdez wants to get rid of a dump in her neighborhood and open up a park instead. She learns to go to her local politicians and lobby for a park. She then learns the process to get support and finding. A nice book.
Gina
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I wanted to enjoy this book so much more-pics were cute, message was girl empowering, but it was just missing something.
Shari
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
While I love this series, this book doesn’t quite hit the mark. I had high hopes for the book. A latina president? It’s quite a dream, however the book focused on community activism.
Jenncw
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stronger and braver

We are each stronger and braver than we think, when we advocate for something that matters to us. That is the message of this beautiful children’s book.
Melanie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was terrific! My favorite so far of the series. I had pre-ordered this and forgotten about it by the time it arrived. About a week later, I read it to my 7 y.o. granddaughter, who loves Rosie Revere, Iggy Peck, but Ada Twist, not so much. Sofia, a sweet soul and a helper, has to figure out how to make something happen—and that it takes more than one person to do it. There’s nothing magical here (except for an adult bureaucrat listening to a child’s idea), just the hard work and many people ...more
paula
We think the girl in the pink coveralls is going to be the next questioneer. What will she be? Astronaut? Sculptor? We can't wait!
Jezire C Akin
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this series of books is absolutely my favorite. I read the first few when teaching second grade and all of the characters are in grade 2. I currently teach 3rd and 4th grade but could see a lot of good connections to make with students in these books. They just have so many great examples of sentences that would be perfect to use for grammar while also having such a great message.
Lian
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
It was achingly tough to give this book 3 stars, because I love the previous books by this talented duo. This latest in the series is a little disappointing. Beaty’s normally infallible rhyming text repeatedly falters and occasionally becomes laborious and repetitive. Roberts’ illustrations are superb but lack the pizazz and detail of the previous books. But most of all, sweet Sofia feels less fleshed out and savvy than the other books celebrating her classmates. There’s just something missing a ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Sofia Valdez, Future Prez by Andrea Beaty, illustrated by David Roberts, PICTURE BOOK Abrams/Amulet, 2019. $19. 9781419737046

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Sofia is a helper - she sees something that needs to get done, and she gets busy. One day, on a walk with Abuelo, her dog gets away and Abuelo hurts his ankle after chasing it through some trash. Sofia decides to clean up the trash and build the park, but she's just in 2nd grade and will certainly need some he
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • V Is for Voting
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
For more information, visit my website (www.AndreaBeaty.com).

Also, visit www.Questioneers.com for posters, activities, educator resources, and other information about the Questioneer books.

Further, check out Story Time From Space to see Ada Twist and Rosie Revere read at the International Space Station by astronauts! It’s out of this world.

Questioneers Picture Books (4 books)
  • Rosie Revere, Engineer