Start by marking “Goodbye Newsroom (HollyAnna Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Goodbye Newsroom (HollyAnna Book 1)

Goodbye Newsroom (HollyAnna Book 1)

When reporter Anna is sacked from the newsroom, she limps home for sympathy from her sister and housemate, Holly. But she discovers that Holly is jobless too, after resigning from the Fairweather Report, a celebrated women’s website.
Now, Holly has grand plans for starting her own online media empire, and she insists that Anna joins her.
Anna’s first task? She’s whisked away
Published February 19th 2019 by Michelle Prak

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye Newsroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye Newsroom

Start your review of Goodbye Newsroom (HollyAnna Book 1)
Kalyn✨
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, 2020
This isn't the type of book I usually read, and yet this story still blew me away. It never got boring; every bit was witty and interesting, keeping my eyes on the page. I read the whole thing without stopping once, and I was in awe.

Anna and Holly are frustrating and relatable, and their sisterly relationship is so perfect. And while Goodbye Newsroom is light and cute, it also covers very serious issues, especially within the media industry and online communities.

I can't wait to see what other s
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

South Australian based author Michelle Prak released her debut novel last year. Goodbye Newsroom is a story of the bonds of sisterhood, career reinvention, the media industry, romance and adventure, which is presented in a light hearted format.

Meet sisters Anna and Holly. These unemployed journalists are forced to band together to create their very own news site when they lose their jobs. While Anna is a traditional style reporter who has a great deal of exp
Megan
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, engaging read featuring two very relatable and sassy sisters, a highly entertaining plot and warm, generous friendships. Loved it 🌟x5
Sally
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great read!! The characters felt relevant but fun. Some situations were reminiscent of previous work situations for myself. Be a good read while on holidays. Looking forward to seeing if there will be further adventures for the two main characters!
Alicia (Alicia Reads It)
Anna and Holly are two sisters who are starting a new career venture together.

The characters were likable and funny. There were quite a few giggle moments that reminded me of the relationship between me and my sister.

This one didn’t grab my attention right away like some books do though, so it did drag a little for me. The story also doesn’t have a lot of depth, but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing for this type of book, and it makes for a nice quick read.

I also had a hard time with the sister
Stephanie
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Hidden Gems in return for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book up until the end. The protagonists, Anna and Holly, were fun, likable characters and there were quite a few laugh out loud moments as the sisters started their new careers. This is what I would consider a great vacation read.

So, why deduct two stars? I don't want to give anything away, but the author leaves a major plot line unfinished. I never found out what happened with Anna's big
Rebecca
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were engaging and interesting. They were well-drawn but not to any annoying level of detail. I particularly loved Holly because at first I couldn't stand her (I'm old, she was annoying me with her millennial-ness), but then I came around over time. I love when a character does that to me, keeps me on my toes.

Relevant and current, it's a fun read, but it also has just enough intrigue to keep you turning the page to find out what's going to happen.

I look
KayBee's  Bookshelf
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Anna and Holly are sisters and journalists albeit unemployed. Their lack of income prompts them to launch their own site. The characters were written to be fun, likable and a bit sassy. While the story took a bit to get into, I eventually wanted to find out if things worked out for the two sisters and their entrepreneurial endeavors. It was quick, light and didn't delve too deep into any drama. There was travel, humor, and light sex. If there was any one thing that I had to take issue with it wa ...more
Amanda
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
All of my Goodreads ratings are based on how much I enjoyed the book and, while this is not the type of novel I'd usually pick up, this one is an amusing, light-hearted romp!

The novel is light, but entertaining and the writing is great - it really draws the reader along. The dialogue is spot-on, natural and pacy and the story is well plotted, with well drawn, believable characters.

This is Michelle's first book, and I can’t wait to see what comes out of her corner in the future, I think she has
Leah
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a free ARC in exchange for an honest review. My opinion is my own.

If you like a light, easy read this is definitely a good book for you. There is just enough drama to keep the pages turning but not overly complicated. The story line could have been fleshed out a bit better. I hope that the next book fills in some of the holes. I am interested in seeing how it continues so I'll probably read the next one.
Bianca
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved these sassy sisters! Some of these situations are very familiar; hosting journalists on travel famils and rearranging seating plans at Awards nights - I could definitely relate!
The short, spirited chapters makes for an absolute page-turner and the perfect holiday read. Lots of moments to laugh, cringe and cheer them on. Can’t wait to find out what Holly and Anna get up to next...especially the big exposè. Recommend.
Heather W
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was a quick and easy read, lots of fun and laughter.

Sisters Anna and Holly are out-of-work journalists who decide to create their own news site. There are lots of laughs as they take the journey to success while trying to find romance along the way.

I voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this book from Hidden Gems.
Pat
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The storyline was good and the characters were interesting enough to keep my attention until the very last page!
Milly
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVED was a great read loved it was a great and easy read loved following the journey of the main characters really hope that there is a second book as I would love to find out more about the main characters stories.
Ric Hayman
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit light and frothy, but enjoyable if you like rom-com (and I do). Almost a roman-a-clef …

If you prefer physical books, the paperback is on its way.
Kelly A
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read! The story moves at a satisfying pace with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing and the relationship between the sisters was perfect - a little bit of friction and a whole lot of love. I really hope there will be a sequel!
L A King
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon, waterstones
I loved this book. Holly. Holly was introduced in Michelle Praks novel Media Queen. This is a fast moving, hilariously funny, yet emotional, the characters were adorable and believable. Holly resigned from her job Her sister Anna was sacked from her job at the Advocate. Devastated, Anna returns home to find her sister busy setting up her own online digital media business. Within a couple of days Anna was off on a superb trip to Uruguay. This is where the fun starts. Sisters end up having a text ...more
Zviko Masiiwa
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've recently gotten back into reading and Goodbye Newsroom was the perfect start for me.

I liked that the book focused more on the career of young women having a go at their dreams, and less on the romance - finally, a rom-com plotline that doesn't involve a woman waiting for a knight in shining armour to save her. Instead, there was just enough romance involved to keep things interesting but still realistic.

The cyberbullying aspect was also a good addition as it reflects a major problem a lot
Jane Durbridge
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A witty page turner & a perfect holiday read. I looked forward to each chapter in these women’s lives, and the relevance of their work in current digital and ‘traditional’ media.

I have to know what happens with the investigative journalism piece, so I’m hoping there’s a sequel?

Well worth a read, even for non rom-com genre fans.
Tash
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took me an unusually long time to finish Michelle’s debut novel because the release coincided with my own debut as a mum of a baby girl. So, reading was happening bit by bit, during and between the feeds and naps. Sometimes I felt so tired that couldn’t read a single line, even to save my life.

Anyway, enough complaining, back to the review :)

The book brought back many familiar feelings. The area of work of two main characters, Australian specifics, some events in girls’ lives. It all made me
Sarah Price
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I like the way it's written.

Most of us have social media accounts so understand a bit of what Holly and Anna are doing.

Its a ballsy move starting your own business but I really feel like the way this is written really makes you feel like you're going through all of it with Holly and Anna.

Jordyn Fairweather seems like a person who is going to stay on top and doesn't care who she tramples along the way. She's a really dislikeable character.

I loved the bit where Anna i
Simone
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With travel as an underlying theme, I thought this was the perfect holiday read! I adored the exploration of Holly and Anna’s sisterhood, and both characters felt realistic and relatable. I also enjoyed the career element of the book, exploring the uncertain situations which many media professionals are currently finding themselves in. The writing was engaging, the chapters went by quickly and I was disappointed when it ended... which is an indicator of a good book in my world! I hope to see Hol ...more
Sonia
Jul 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Love the lightness, the humour and the two main characters in this book. It is so much fun! The short chapters enables the book to travel at a speedy pace and for me, the storyline was so relatable.
I would have loved more of an 'ending' to the book but I have since learnt that there is a sequel which I can't wait to devour.
Pick up a copy! Lots of fun to be had!
Eleanor Miller
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has spent most of their working life in media, this book was riveting. Sure, it's a rom com/ chic lit read... and there's nothing wrong with that. But scratch below the surface and Prak provides some very clear insights into the state and challenges of Australia's media landscape. I enjoyed picking out the publications and people that seemed to be based on real life models.
Michelle Casserley
Loved it! Fun to read, easy to relate to characters and I enjoyed wondering what would happen. Enjoyed a little glimpse into the digital journalist life, and now looking forward to reading book two, thanks Michelle!
Josephine Spawton
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Fun storyline, cool characters...I can’t wait to see if there is a next installment...
Vlada
Feb 23, 2020
Yvette
Jun 29, 2020
Katina Curtis
Apr 27, 2019
Tash
Jul 03, 2019

• Sunshine and Second Chances: A heart-warming, feel-good summer read about friendship, love and second chances.
  • Everything is Fine
  • If I Had Your Face
  • Below the Big Blue Sky
  • Perfect Imperfections
  • The Passengers
  • Palace of Fires: Unholy (BK2)
  • Beast (Palace of Fires #3)
  • The War Widow (Billie Walker Mystery, #1)
  • I'll Eat When I'm Dead
  • You Are Mine: a gripping psychological suspense
  • The Woman Who Lost Her Love: a heartwarming and uplifting new release
Michelle Prak is an Australian author, writing fun, modern rom-coms - but now leaping into thrillers! Wish her luck!

In her own day job, she has a PR consultancy, and teaches PR to wonderful university students. She is an avid social media user, and you might find her elsewhere online as Prakky.

#MediaQueen