Start by marking “Impossible James” as Want to Read:
Impossible James

Impossible James

My father was dying. There was no hope. Then he took a screwdriver to the brain. Got pregnant. And found the cure for death.

Impossible? That's my dad.

IMPOSSIBLE JAMES
Published June 15th 2019 by Fungasm Press

To ask other readers questions about Impossible James, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impossible James

Start your review of Impossible James
Eddie Generous
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unnerving Magazine Review

Listen to my interview with the author here: https://www.unnervingmagazine.com/sin...

Absolutely nuts. Hilarious with a pace set so quickly you have no time to question what remains of your sanity. Wild. Frantic. Oddly motivating.
Frank
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can't review this right now. I have to interview Danger about this book for a fourth coming episode of Bizzong!
All will be revealed then.
And then I'll leave a better written review here.
Ben Arzate
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, ebooks
Full Review

Impossible James is an absurd and hilarious story about family and relationships with a lot of heart. It tells a ridiculous story while exploring the difficult and painful aspects of romantic and familial relationships. It's an excellent example of what the bizarro genre is capable of in terms of storytelling and exploring truths both beautiful and ugly.
Leo Robertson
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Amusing and amusingly grotesque comedy body horror about life, death and the death of death!

Slater is a great and original storyteller. His skills undoubtedly being in place, in future I’d like to see his prose stand on its own merit without certain quirks: varying chapter length, lengthy digressions, poioumena, many flashes both forward and back, third person narrative told by largely absent first person narrator--sparingly, these all work--all of them together was a bit much for me.

I'm quite
Steve Stred
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** Edited as the review is now live on Kendall Reviews!! **

Danger Slater was my first foray into true, full-on Bizarro fiction last year, when I read ‘I Will Rot Without You.’ I didn’t really know what to expect and at the time I said I’d probably not read more Bizarro. My brain actually functions very closely to how Danger’s books read, but overall I’m a horror fan through and through.

Saying all of that – Danger Slater is an author and Twitter user whose hustle I admire. He’s honest, upfront
Luke Kondor
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's as if Danger sat down and thought "What would Luke like to read?" and then set out to do just that.

Thanks, Danger!

Also, it isn't often that a book can make me howl with laughter but this book did it more than once.
Lori
Listen up people. This is the shiznit right here! I've been a big fan of Danger's writing for a while now. He continues to get better and better with each novel he puts out and you gotta believe me when I tell you he is fucking killing it right now. Impossible James is undoubtedly his finest novel to date. Not only is the story absofuckinglutely fabulous but the storytelling, and pacing... it's simply top notch!

No. Wait. Don't believe me. Go read it for yourself. And then come back so I can
Amy Vaughn
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Impossible James is a very good time in which very bad things happen. I enjoyed it immensely. The tone is light, the laughs are many, and before you know it you’re completely engulfed in a scene so vile or perilous or just plain weird—but mostly just so huge and all-encompassing—that there’s no way to stop reading until a modicum of resolution has been reached.

And a modicum is all we’re going to get. This book hurtles from a nearly recognizable present, through a delightfully preposterous set
Christopher Lesko
I couldn’t stop reading this book! Each chapter was short enough to swallow whole, and addictive enough to keep wanting more more more. I loved how the story expanded my mind without leaving any brrrrraaayyyin damn damn dammmmage.
Tracy Robinson
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
“It wasn’t ineptitude that was his burden, merely left-handedness.”

Impossible James afforded me the chance to step outside my comfortable reality to a world where anything can and will happen. The first chapter had me in tears, the doctor James’ father sees is a master at dry humor. He’s a terrible doctor and I like the way Slater uses this opportunity to set the tone for the rest of the book.

Because while this doctor is imparting devastating news, the delivery is irreverent and leads the
Isaac Thorne
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
If there be such creatures in the world of bizarro fiction, Danger Slater's protagonists often caution readers to not seek meaning in what they've just ingested. Jimmy Watson Jr, son of the Impossible James of this title and narrator of this novel, tells you the same thing. If there is meaning, he says, it's been lost already. You can reread the book if you want, but the words and sentences do not change.

He has a point.

However, there is no denying that Danger Slater's Impossible James is a
Ben Fitts
I Will Rot Without You may be Danger Slater’s most heartfelt book, Love Me may be his funniest and Puppet Skin may pack the most thrills, but Impossible James is certainly his SMARTEST book to date. Filled with nuanced, philosophical musings and skewering social satire, Impossible James is the kind of book that makes you simultaneously feel both smarter and dumber for having read it.

But is it Danger Slater’s best book? Well, I guess that depends entirely on what you’re looking for in your
Kevin Berg
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
“What can one say when confronted with the irrevocable certainty of their own doom?”
Jo Quenell
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Danger Slater is one of those writers that manages to get better and better with each book. Impossible James is his best yet, veering further into the weird horror direction of his particular style. This one gets GROSS.

When somebody is curious as to what bizarro is, Danger is the direction I point them to. This book is a perfect example of how chaotic yet smart the weird little genre can be.
Brendan
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Danger does it again! His latest is a meditation on death that manages to be hilarious, heartwarming, and horrifying all at the same time. Imagine if David Cronenberg directed Junior and then combine that with Atwood’s Oryx and Crake. A strange combination, I know, but this is one hell of a strange book. I loved every page and I’m continuously impressed by Slater’s ability as a wordsmith and storyteller. A must-read.
John Watson
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback
If I was a smarter man, I would dig deeper into the yarns that Danger Slater spins to find some hidden meaning. Instead, I allow the strangeness to wash over me, much like the killer Gray Tide in this one. If you haven't read anything by Mr. Slater yet, this is a great place to begin.
Shane Blackheart
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a ride from beginning to end. There were many twists and turns, and back and forths, but in the end, they all came together and, somehow, it all worked. And it was something I can't really properly put words to, but I'll try. Possible spoilers ahead, maybe.

James is a nobody with nothing and no one. He's not successful by any stretch and leads the world's most boring, unfortunate life possible. His wife wasn't even nice to him, and he's infertile. Of course, when he walks into his
A. Sneve
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Impossibly entertaining; an excellent read. "Impossible James" is the story of a put-upon average Joe who stands up and says NO: NO to death, NO to the mind-numbing monotony of his former life, and NO to whomever and whatever no longer serves him (fake friends, a-hole exes, etc). After a shattering medical diagnosis, he shucks his former life like a pair of soiled pants and proceeds to raise hell, embarking on a world-altering metamorphosis which involves flooding the world with carbon copies of ...more
Samantha
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book reads like a fever-dream or LSD trip. It is my first Bizarro read ever. It jumps around, but is easy to keep track of where you're supposed to be in its crazy grasp. It feels like it addresses the concept of human existentialism constantly without solving it, which is exactly what being alive feels like every day - just put into a context that is extraordinary. At first, I didn't like that there were no page numbers. Then I came to the realization that like life, we don't really know ...more
J. Peter W.
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cloning is described as a process that can be used to produce genetically identical copies of a biological entity. The copied material, containing the exact same genetic makeup as the original, is referred to as the clone.

There are four different types of cloning: gene cloning, reproductive cloning, therapeutic cloning, and James Watson cloning.

Gene cloning produces copies of genes or segments of DNA. Reproductive cloning produces copies of whole animals. Therapeutic cloning produces embryonic
Zach
This technically qualifies as a biopunk novel. I will not be taking questions at this time.

Seriously, though, there's a lot going on in this book -- narratively, philosophically, viscerally. Impossible James is sort of like if Kurt Vonnegut and David Cronenberg co-wrote an early 90s Nickelodeon cartoon. It gets gross at points, but does so to draw attention to the absurdity of your own temporary meatparts. Artful grossness.

The narrative paces its weird revelations well, alternating between the
Justin Day
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Impossible James is a fantastically bizarre meditation on the self and what it takes to exist in the world today as well as our relationships with family. I know that is broad, but I'm not really into spoiling books. Told in an engaging way, this book will open your eyes to some existential understanding while at the same time being laugh out loud funny. It's a weird juxtaposition, but I think it is Danger Slater's greatest strength! Just read it!

Sniff Test:

When you first sniff it, this book
Wayne W
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This my first book full length book in this category. I'm impressed. Danger Slater, does it right. I was reading this with my jaw dropped the whole time. What a great concept. You know it'll never happen, that's why it's impossible but, at the same time you're thinking. What if it did? This grey tide is scary.
Steven
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: danger-slater
Excellent!!! What a weird and twisted read. All I can say is it's quite the experience and I would recommend it. Slater has quite the imagination.
David
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a weird, wild, fun book. Exactly the sort of thing I read Danger Slater for, though still quite new. Definitely one to check out.
Jeremy Wallendjack
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm hoping this is the second part of a trilogy and the last book will be about the Flatly family and tie everything together.
Carrie Laben
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bartleby as done by Cronenberg, this is Bizzaro in all its absurd, half-allegorical, sketchy, logic-light glory.
Iain MacCallum
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WTF

WTF did I just read? This is a weird and wonderful story that I finished in one sitting. I hadn't read any bizzaro fiction before but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this.
Ola Elnaggar
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a lot of writers are as brave as Danger Slater.
Cassie Lola (holo.reader)
“If desire itself is scarcely more than a spark, what’s an arsonist to do when everything around them is already burning?”

Danger Slater is one of my favorite writers, and I don’t even know how to categorize his genre. I guess, according to the internet, it’s “bizarro fiction” – which I suppose probably just means kind of weird and fucked up and maybe… impossible? See what I did there? Whatever, I love it & I love him & I love this book.

“Mean love was better than no love at all.”

The

• To Wallow in Ash & Other Sorrows
  • Mongrels
  • A Sick Gray Laugh
  • The Night Manager
Wonderland Award winning author Danger Slater is the world’s most flammable writer! He likes to use a lot of exclamation points!