Start by marking “Dead Man's Tide (Viridian Gate Online: The Illusionist, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man's Tide (Viridian Gate Online: The Illusionist, #2)

Dead Man's Tide

(The Illusionist #2)

Viridian Gate Online is more than just a game… and now, it's Alan Campbell’s whole world.

Recently deceased and squishy as hell, Alan, a newly minted Illusionist, is forced to flee for his life. He needs time to deal with his loss, both in-game and IRL, but first he’ll have to escape his crazy ex, the treacherous Firebrand, Thalia Daceran.

On his way to safety and reveng
Published March 28th 2019 by Shadow Alley Press

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man's Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man's Tide

Start your review of Dead Man's Tide (Viridian Gate Online: The Illusionist, #2)
Steve
Shelves: gamelit-litrpg
Out of all the VGO arcs, I think that this is my favourite to date. I find Alan a relatable character as he struggles to adapt to his circumstances. This, combined with the complexity of the IRL situation and the machinations of the AI Overminds has a certain alchemy that I find some of the other satellite VGO books lack. This is not to say that the other books are bad, but I very much want to see where The Illusionist series goes as it doesn't have the feel of a "sidequest" like many of them do ...more
Pat
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

My only complaint would be the revolving door of supporting characters. If love to read more with Nik and Gnasher
Trevor Sherman
A nice addition to the series even though I wish we had the main story books coming out as fast as these prequels. But still a good solid read and the audio book was well done also.
John
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Picks up right where last book left off

Thalia and a group of her assassins pursuing Alan after he escaped the city. He meets up with Provus at a pre-agreed upon location (private messages are handy for that kind of thing), and together they run. While on the run, Alan is learning to use his first Illusionist spells in real time.

Nil the Mimic is assigned by his overwind to protect Alan, so he shows up and helps protect and guide Alan, incidentally helping save Provus along the way.

This gets very
Jake
Killer way to continue the Alan Campbell story

This is the second installment in the Alan Campbell series in the VGO Universe Expansion

This was a fantastically written story. I love how well Alan develops on this story, with believing more in himself but also learning to rely on others as well.

The ancillary characters in this portion of the series are expanded upon also and an stunningly well done job of it. Everyone seems so full of life and you get sucked right into the action of the moment.
Lissette
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alan Campbell never imagined just how much his life would change upon setting foot inside Viridian Gate Online. His only intention had been to show its creator that the game has promise. That it wasn't a mere fluke. With death, he'd achieved that feat, never once taking into account the fact that he was now immortalized forever inside the game itself. If he's to succeed in surviving such a cruel and unexpected world, he'll have to learn everything possible with every passing second. Only then wi ...more
Lana
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I must admit it took me a while to get into this book and I did not find it as exciting as the rest of the VGO series. Alan Campbell is in trouble, his ex Thalia Duceran also known as Firebrand and her group of Sicarii are hunting him down. She is working for the drowned man. Alan on the other hand is being protected by Titus, Nil and Gnasher and they end up in Wyrtide, the gas lit city of ill repute. During a massive skirmish they flee for their lives with Mad Marge also known as the bearded ca ...more
Fate's Lady
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: litrpg
The story continues to entertain me, although the way that Talia (the firebrand, however her name is spelled) is both portrayed and treated by the narrative, really makes me uncomfortable and I suspect I'm going to be unhappy if/when she's brought back into the main storyline. Alan's an okay protagonist but I find myself more engaged with his companions than with him himself.

Actually I'm thinking back and I'm having trouble pointing to literally ANY female character who isn't either fridged or
SetsunaNara
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read

Frankly speaking, I’ve come to enjoy the different point of views and perspectives provided by the Viridian Gate Online side stories, I feel that Nomad and Deadman’s Tide provide a nice precursor to show some of the issues faced by Robert Osmark prior to the start of the series. I also enjoy how the Overminds are being further personified and showcased because it adds depth and intricacy to their existence, I am still very curious about the many aspects we’ve yet to encounter. I also
Brian Layman
Sep 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
I wanted more from the irl side of the story and didn't have a real reason to care about most of the characters in this book. This part of the story was missing the interaction of those two worlds. There were irl segments, but that was not as much of a focus as in the first book.

There is level progression but I felt the joy of discovery was missing. As far as female characters, the book was written by a guy for guys, but not quite as blatantly as some are.

I've read the first book in the main ser
Tyler Patton
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Book two is propelled, in part, by the VERY flimsy notion of Alan's "ex" (extra emphasis on this) wants to kill him. She does indeed want him dead but book one didn't do a good enough job cementing the emotions to be an "ex", more I met her one time. Overall it was a big departure from the main VGO series, Alan isn't particularly entertaining. He runs 90% of the time and continuously levels up the same abilities. Also there was quite a bit of bizarre sexual tension between Alan and basically any ...more
Danyel
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gamer, pet-author, arc, 2019
This is the second book in this branch of the series and it probably creates more questions than it answers, in a good way. Less satisfying from a gamer perspective, this look into the world is more satisfying from a fantasy point of view: we understand less of how the game works in the world but more of how we work in the game world...once "we" are forced to accept that world as reality.

Regardless, I was left, once again, wanting more about this world and this story.
William
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love watching this early character development

The MC is pretty interesting. The way that he uses his newfound abilities is pretty inventive. But I guess that makes sense for why he got them now doesn’t it. Since it’s supposed to be tailored to him and his personality.

Nil is kinda different, great but different. Loved that trap scene on the boat. A personal series for Nil sounds pretty cool.

Can’t wait for the next books.
Steve
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Better than book one in the series.

The writing was better than the first book in most ways, but the wording was still a little confusing at times. The story was great though and I really enjoyed the fact that it's a good book I can recommend to my teen kids.

I also really liked the fact that there were no overt political views in the book being rammed down my throat.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.
Scott
VGO must read

Alan has survived and now finds that he has hunted but as the over minds play their games with the oives of their charges its Alan who finds himself in the forefront and soons finds their is more to gaming that he thought as it's now his survival hes fighting for. Alan has turned out to be a great character and the supporting cast I'd great especially Nil.
Jeff Nason
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent character development and storyline

I have enjoyed every VGO story i have read, but this series is one of my favorites with characters i enjoy (especially the evil ones). The story works well on all the levels it incorporates, including the gods. Do yourself a favor and check it out.
AmbushPredator
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Didn't really expect this sequel to go in quite the direction it did, but it was a satisfying conclusion (of sorts) all the same. I definitely will read more by this author, and I'm intrigued enough about the concept itself to maybe check out a few more of the Kindle recommendations I've got since buying this book. ...more
Jack Vinson
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: litrpg-2019
Just keep reading

I don’t know what it is with these series, but I find them hard to put down. This time we have Alan growing in his new role inside the game. And I wonder what happens to him in book 3. And I’m a little curious if there will be future VGO stories with the characters introduced in these side stories.
Benjamin L
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good side story continuation

Good story, sort of a pre-VGO story. But, still worth it. Oddly enough, you'll end up caring more about the side characters than the main character. Which, isn't a bad thing.
Jon Koelzer
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
This one just wasn’t for me. Way too verbose and pedantic. Sometimes felt like I was reading the Silmarillion again, sounding like a bible full of names that are impossible to remember and completely uninteresting.
Eric_R
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Still Loving the Series

It’s a really good series and true to the RPGlit genre. I think if you like fantasy, rpgs, and the two things combined into an epic novel....then dive into VGO today. It’s worth the time you dedicate to reading it.

Cheers
Eric
Chris Block
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great read

The VGO Aries is the gift that keeps on giving. These side series are just as good as the main story line.
Richard Callanan
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great VGO addition

Another fantastic character building story in the VGO world. Alan’s story is just another piece of the ever reaching story capturing readers imaginations
Jonathan
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun

This was a fun continuation of the series and the world. I enjoyed it and truly think you will too.
Marshall Mutch
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Slow Going

Found the book very slow going, not as interesting as the other characters in the series. Not really for me.
Chris Bell
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the first of the three new Viridian Gate stories I read. And it's a swashbuckling mind wobbling romp. And we got seconds!!! Yum. ...more
Paul Game
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Another fun romp in LitRPG.
Shonari
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loving the world development.
Michael
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally consider myself an enthusiastic fan of the "LitRPG" genre, but I like this series! ...more
Jessie Thomas
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great follow up book

If you love VGO, then you'll enjoy these books which take place before the main series. For me, this is my favorite series within the VGO expanded universe, not counting the main series, as it spreads more light on the beginning of VGO the game.

• Firebrand (Viridian Gate Online: The Firebrand, #1)
  • Embers of Rebellion (Viridian Gate Online: The Firebrand, #2)
  • Vindication (Viridian Gate Online: The Alchemic Weaponeer, #1)
  • Absolution (Viridian Gate Online: The Alchemic Weaponeer, #2)
  • Darkling Siege (Viridian Gate Online #7)
  • Viridian Gate Online: Path of the Blood Phoenix (The Firebrand Series Book 3)
  • Doom Forge (Viridian Gate Online #6)
  • The Artificer (The Imperial Initiative #1)
  • The Lich Priest (Viridian Gate Online #5)
  • Imperial Legion (Viridian Gate Online #4)
  • Viridian Gate Online: Insurrection (The Alchemic Weaponeer #3)
  • The Jade Lord (Viridian Gate Online #3)
  • Crimson Alliance (Viridian Gate Online #2)
  • Troll Nation (The Rogue Dungeon Book #3)
  • Cataclysm (Viridian Gate Online #1)
  • Civil War (The Rogue Dungeon, #2)
  • Annex (Artorian's Archives #3)
  • Rogue Evolution (The Rogue Dungeon, #4)
D.J. Bodden is a tech-startup COO who writes books because words are magic. He's an avid reader of science-fiction and fantasy, a gamer, a former pilot and coffee trader who's been to every continent but Antarctica. He's been woken up by gunfire, jumped out of helicopters, and climbed medium-sized hills in scorching weather; He likes to make people laugh for the wrong reasons; He tries to sell peo ...more

The Illusionist (3 books)
  • Nomad Soul (Viridian Gate Online: The Illusionist, #1)
  • Inquisitor’s Foil (Illusionist #3)