Start by marking “Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)

Black Summer

(Washington Poe #2)

Hardcover, UK First Edition, First Printing
Published June 20th 2019 by Constable

To ask other readers questions about Black Summer, please sign up.

Paromjit
MW Craven proves that his stellar crime debut The Puppet Show was no fluke and then some with this sequel featuring the charismatic pairing of DS Washington Poe with his traumatic and haunting background and the unforgettable genius that is the endearing crime analyst, Matilda 'Tilly' Bradshaw, on the autism spectrum, at the National Crime Agency. In Cumbria, Constable Graham Alsop of the Neighbourhood Policing Team is a problem solver running sessions at the library for the community after budg ...more
Peter
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exoneration
Black Summer is the eagerly awaited second book in the Washington Poe series from Mike Craven. It is an outstanding return for Poe and his colleague, Tilly Bradshaw, in a thriller that is as captivating, dazzling and edgy as any crime mystery I’ve read this year. Poe and Tilly have such a wonderful partnership that exudes humour, loyalty and great personal charm. They are both highly capable investigators, but from different ends of the spectrum – Poe who reads people well, and plays
Beata
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was what I call a page-turner as I kept turning the pages, neglecting some chores (no complaints here!) and speculating: 'Now, how was that done??'
This novel has the right pace, the intrigue, good dialogues and characters who, though not perfect, know how not to be ouwitted.
A case seemingly impossible to solve kept me guessing till the very end.
A big thank-you to Mr Craven and Constable for a print copy of the book. The opinion expressed here is entirely mine.
Matt
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After devouring M.W. Craven’s series debut, I was quick to get my hands on a copy of this sequel, which packs just as much punch with its sensational storytelling and strong plot. Washington Poe is still reeling from the fallout of the Immolation Man case and he carries the burns on his hands to prove it. When he is called back up to Cumbria, he cannot be sure if there is more he will have to remember. However, it is another of his past cases that comes to the forefront. Six years ago, Poe helpe ...more
Helga
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, crime, mystery, british
Dark, witty, grisly, brilliant!
Nail-biting. That is one of the states you will find yourself in, reading this book.

How can someone be alive and dead at the same time?

Six years ago the highly successful chef Jared Keaton is arrested for the murder of his daughter Elizabeth. Although the police are unable to find her body, Keaton is convicted nonetheless based on circumstantial evidence discovered by D.S Poe. Poe has no doubt that Keaton is the murderer.

Six years later a young woman walks into a
Mark
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Washington Poe is back!
Things have moved on since ‘The Puppet Show’ ( Book 1 ) finished and its fair to say this can be read as a stand alone or of course as Book 2 in the series, there are enough small nods to past events that if this is your first outing with Poe then you get a bit of a back story
It was good to have Poe back, I am not a massive lover of series books but took to Poe and Tilly ( his unorthodox tech expert ) in Book 1 and so was looking forward to the new case.....

Elizabeth Keato
NZLisaM
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The highly anticipated second installment in the Washington Poe series delves into the world of renowned celebrity chef, Jared Keaton, and his Michelin 3 star restaurant!

In his last case as a DI, Poe's evidence and testimony, along with a blood spattered restaurant kitchen, saw Keaton receive a life sentence for killing his daughter, Elizabeth, even though her body was never found, and no motive was ever established.

Six years later, a scared, disheveled, malnourished young woman limps into the l
Miriam Smith
Shelves: net-galley
I was very late to the party reading “The Puppet Show” (the first in the Washington Poe series) and after thoroughly enjoying it, I was very excited to be able to read the follow up “Black Summer” immediately after. Although either book works well as a stand-alone, I would recommend reading in order as it does benefit you to learn how all the working relationships link together.
The story starts with a prologue that was attention grabbing, a first chapter that was like something out of a Hanniba
Mandy White
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, read-in-2019
Oh my goodness! That was fantastic. I just love Washington and Tilly. Dark and clever, this waa aa good as The Puppet Show if not better!!
Adrienne
Loved it. Wonderful. So many twists and turns. And how they all added up correctly - in the final chapter. Beautifully crafted characters, almost improbable events - that the normal mind rarely is able to eventually grasp. But is easy for a psychopath.
Delightful prose. Unputdownable.
Shelves: fiction
Black Summer is the second book in the Washington Poe series and can easily be read as a stand alone but I really do urge you to read the previous book as it’s just as fabulous as this one.

I have been dying to be re united with Poe and Tilly and boy has it been worth the wait. This book was everything I hoped for and more. From the first jaw dropping chapter, the author well and truly had my attention.

Everything about this book is just first class. From the very clever story line, to the best ch
David Gilchrist
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic follow on from 'The Puppet Show' Compelling, intriguing with some humour and some dark parts too. An author that is a sleep thief of the top order.
The Book Review Café
Ever since I reached the last page The Puppet Show I have been (in)patiently waiting for Black Summer by M.W. Craven, the second book in the Washington Poe series. One of my favourite things about picking up a new book is when a crime author grabs your attention with a dramatic opening, as soon as I read the first page I just knew that this was a book I knew I would savour. Although Black Summer could be read as a stand-alone I would urge you to read both books in order, not doing so would be li ...more
The Cats’ Mother
I was late to the MW Craven party, having only read The Puppet Show a few weeks ago, after hearing about it for months. Well I wasn’t going to make the same mistake twice, so was very pleased to see this available from NetGalley - even if it meant going through the UK site. I’m pleased to report that this second Washington Poe book is even more fiendishly twisty than the first, and just as well written.

Six years earlier, Poe arrested a callous psychopath, celebrity chef Jared Keaton, for the mu
Nancy
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please read the promotional description for the storyline.

M. W. Craven has not only done it again he has surpassed his first novel in this excellently written sequel of the Washington Poe series. In this book, Craven has placed Detective Sergeant Washington Poe, and his endearingly loyal sidekick Tilly Bradshaw, into a crime of murder that is inherently gruesome and as complex as a Burr Puzzle. DS Poe finds himself under attack when the victim of a murderer he was responsible for apprehending su
Lou
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Puppet Show was one of my absolute favourite reads of last year, made all the more incredible by the fact that it was a debut. I feel like I've been yearning for this second thriller in the Detective Sergeant Washington Poe series for a long time and it certainly didn't disappoint. This can be read independently of the first book without issue but it is so damn good you'll want to pick it up I am sure. Here, Poe's judgement is called into question when the apparent victim of a killer he help ...more
Michelle
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black Summer is the 2nd in the Washington Poe series, and I admit I am late starting this series as I only read The puppet Show before I read this one and WOW what a book that was so I was excited to get my hands on Black Summer.
Celebrity Chef Jared Keaton was convicted of murdering his daughter Elizabeth Keaton 6 years ago. Washington Poe is the man that got him convicted. But one stormy night, Elizabeth turns up alive in the Police drop in centre at a local library. Is it really her?
Poe now un
Jennifer Nolan
Another great Washington Poe book. Having a Springer Spaniel I loved the discription the author gave of Edgar's traits many of which my Springer shares. I highly recommend this book.
Sandra Leivesley
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
Wow, wow, wow!! I have been waiting so long for this follow up to The Puppet Show, but it was definitely worth the wait!

Washington Poe and Tilly Bradshaw are back with a new case to solve. This time, six years after Poe helps to convict celebrity chef Jared Keaton for the murder of his daughter, despite the fact that no body was ever found, the daughter suddenly turns up and then disappears again. But is she who she says she is?

This is different to The Puppet Show in that it isn’t as gory, but i
Suzanne Oliver
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was honoured to get a copy of Black Summer by the amazing M W Craven to read from @netgalley and wow I wasn’t disappointed!! I have read it in a day as again, I couldn’t put it down!!

This was a fast paced read, so many gasp out loud moments, loved all the police procedures,, it has an extremely well written and researched storyline and I love the growing friendship between Poe and Tilly.

I am stunned by this book, I loved The Puppet Show and this one also blew all my expectations out of the w
Laura Rash
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one didn’t pack quite the punch that Puppet Show did but it was highly entertaining and had its dark and odd moments that makes Craven a talented author. Love the characters of Poe and Tilly and hoping for many more books with them.
Eva
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Black Summer is the second book in the Washington Poe series and I’ll say right now that it’s even better than its predecessor. I never reviewed The Puppet Show on my blog because the sheer awesomeness blew me away and I couldn’t find the words to describe all the feels, as the youngsters would say. Ever since I finished reading that one, I’ve been impatiently awaiting its follow-up and here it is. This time, I’m determined to get some half-decent sentences on paper and try to convince you that, ...more
Donna Maguire

I loved The Puppet Show and put it straight in to my top three books read in 2018 so for me Black Summer, the second book in the Washington Poe series was one I had been waiting for!!

I love the team of Poe and Tilly and I was eager to catch back up with them, and delighted to see that they were again on top form in this story, they work brilliantly together and I love their interaction, Tilly is one of my favourite characters in all crime thrillers and I
Gram
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Six years ago, celebrity chef Jared Keaton was jailed for the murder of his teenage daughter Elizabeth. Her body was never found. Now, she's turned up alive and Washington Poe is in trouble. He led the investigation which resulted in Keaton's conviction, regarding him as a psychopath - the most evil man he's ever met. Now, Keaton is set to turn the tables. Shortly after a police interview, Elizabeth Keaton disappears again and Poe becomes a suspect in her abduction and possible murder.
Aided by
Liz Barnsley
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Having been, like many people, a huge fan of The Puppet Show I was keen to engage once more with the world of Washington Poe and Tilly Bradshaw.

Always tricky, that second novel when the first is so well received, this author overcame that by giving us a truly creative and dastardly mystery, where the dead return to life but are also probably dead. Yes, we are definitely going to need Tilly for this one…

Black Summer is wildly entertaining, mainly because of its two main protagonists, but also bec
Kate
Really excellent, atmospheric, moody and compelling crime mystery - so good to see Tilly and Flynn again. The mystery is particularly good and pleasingly foody. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Clair
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now where the heck do I begin with a review of Black Summer and do it justice?! Black Summer is the second book in the Poe and Bradshaw series. I absolutely loved The Puppet Show and I did something that I don’t often do….moved start onto the next book in the series as I needed more of the wonderful DS Washington Poe and the super intelligent Tilly Bradshaw who is working alongside Poe as a criminal analyst.

However, as with all books that follow an amazing first book, would Black Summer be as g
Ingstje
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
'We have a problem, Poe'. How I love to hear these words now!

I'm forever and more #TeamPoe now.

While I thought The Puppet Show was brilliant, I have to say this novel is possibly even better. The mystery is sooo big in this one! I loved every single page of this thrilling investigation.

Washington Poe has his work cut out in this novel, that's crystal-clear from the start! A decision of the past is backfiring in an unbelievable way and now they're coming after him. Don't we all love to give our s
Jean
3.5 stars! Bradshaw's still my favorite character. Wish there was a spin-off series that focuses on her!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
M. W. Craven was born in Carlisle but grew up in Newcastle, running away to join the army at the tender age of sixteen. He spent the next ten years travelling the world having fun, leaving in 1995 to complete a degree in social work with specialisms in criminology and substance misuse. Thirty-one years after leaving Cumbria, he returned to take up a probation officer position in Whitehaven, eventu ...more

Washington Poe (2 books)
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)