Start by marking “Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)

Black Summer

(Washington Poe #2)

Hardcover, UK First Edition, First Printing
Published June 20th 2019 by Constable

To ask other readers questions about Black Summer, please sign up.

Start your review of Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
Paromjit
MW Craven proves that his stellar crime debut The Puppet Show was no fluke and then some with this sequel featuring the charismatic pairing of DS Washington Poe with his traumatic and haunting background and the unforgettable genius that is the endearing crime analyst, Matilda 'Tilly' Bradshaw, on the autism spectrum, at the National Crime Agency. In Cumbria, Constable Graham Alsop of the Neighbourhood Policing Team is a problem solver running sessions at the library for the community after budg ...more
Peter
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exoneration
Black Summer is the eagerly awaited second book in the Washington Poe series from Mike Craven. It is an outstanding return for Poe and his colleague, Tilly Bradshaw, in a thriller that is as captivating, dazzling and edgy as any crime mystery I’ve read this year. Poe and Tilly have such a wonderful partnership that exudes humour, loyalty and great personal charm. They are both highly capable investigators, but from different ends of the spectrum – Poe who reads people well, and plays
Beata
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was what I call a page-turner as I kept turning the pages, neglecting some chores (no complaints here!) and speculating: 'Now, how was that done??'
This novel has the right pace, the intrigue, good dialogues and characters who, though not perfect, know how not to be ouwitted.
A case seemingly impossible to solve kept me guessing till the very end.
A big thank-you to Mr Craven and Constable for a print copy of the book. The opinion expressed here is entirely mine.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Yess! You know the feeling when your highly praised author decides to write another book of your favorite series which means your favorite characters are back promising you thrilling, entertaining, mind blowing hours of fun! You just want to chant, dance and fill your heart with pure joy and happiness!

The first installment of Washington Poe series was stunning. I loved Poe and his intense past story, his secluded life, his unusual methods to solve the cases. Of course we’re also introduced one o
Ceecee
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well that’s what I call a gripping read, it was impossible to put down! This is the second in the Washington Poe series and is just as twisty and clever as the first one. After a young woman in a weakened state walks into Alston Library where PC Alsop is holding his once a month police clinic this leads to a case that puts Poe in the firing line once again, risking not only his career but his liberty too. DNA tests prove that the young woman is Elizabeth Heaton, there’s just one problem she is m ...more
Matt
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After devouring M.W. Craven’s series debut, I was quick to get my hands on a copy of this sequel, which packs just as much punch with its sensational storytelling and strong plot. Washington Poe is still reeling from the fallout of the Immolation Man case and he carries the burns on his hands to prove it. When he is called back up to Cumbria, he cannot be sure if there is more he will have to remember. However, it is another of his past cases that comes to the forefront. Six years ago, Poe helpe ...more
Carolyn
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
M.W. Craven has written a second book in the superb crime series featuring the unlikely, captivating pairing of Washington Poe and Tilly Bradshaw. The plots are clever, intricately constructed, puzzling, and seemingly unsolvable. This is an intelligent, dark, twisted, and ingenious crime case.

Poe, a sometimes morose and angry loner, is an intuitive detective who goes by his hunches and his ability to read people by their actions and reactions. He has a history of breaking police rules and ignor
Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

On the fourth Wednesday of every month ‘problem-solving officer,’ Graham Alsop resides in the library in the village if Alston, Cumbria. The local police station closed in budget cuts and now just one day a month the residents of the village can see Officer Alsop to tell them any problems that have occurred in the last month.

Whilst attending his post a young woman, muddy and undernourished wanders into the library, apprehensive at first she approached Of
Mark
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Washington Poe is back!
Things have moved on since ‘The Puppet Show’ ( Book 1 ) finished and its fair to say this can be read as a stand alone or of course as Book 2 in the series, there are enough small nods to past events that if this is your first outing with Poe then you get a bit of a back story
It was good to have Poe back, I am not a massive lover of series books but took to Poe and Tilly ( his unorthodox tech expert ) in Book 1 and so was looking forward to the new case.....

Elizabeth Keato
NZLisaM
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, suspense, 2019, mystery
The highly anticipated second installment in the Washington Poe series delves into the world of renowned celebrity chef, Jared Keaton, and his Michelin 3 star restaurant!

In his last case as a DI, Poe's evidence and testimony, along with a blood spattered restaurant kitchen, saw Keaton receive a life sentence for killing his daughter, Elizabeth, even though her body was never found, and no motive was ever established.

Six years later, a scared, disheveled, malnourished young woman limps into the l
Helga
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, british, crime
Dark, witty, grisly, brilliant!
Nail-biting. That is one of the states you will find yourself in, reading this book.

How can someone be alive and dead at the same time?

Six years ago the highly successful chef Jared Keaton is arrested for the murder of his daughter Elizabeth. Although the police are unable to find her body, Keaton is convicted nonetheless based on circumstantial evidence discovered by D.S Poe. Poe has no doubt that Keaton is the murderer.

Six years later a young woman walks into a
Mandy White
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019, audible
Oh my goodness! That was fantastic. I just love Washington and Tilly. Dark and clever, this waa aa good as The Puppet Show if not better!!
Pat
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars is simply insufficient! That was deviously clever, deliciously convoluted, devilishly complex, I’m sure you get it. It was right up there for me. How do you even conceive a plot like that? And all without gratuitous violence, except towards the poor ortolan bunting (a songbird from the south of France) the preparation and eating of which was described very early in the book. Is it even gratuitous when you eat the animal? Either way, it is an actual thing, I looked it up, I’m still thinki ...more
Miriam Smith
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, net-galley
I was very late to the party reading “The Puppet Show” (the first in the Washington Poe series) and after thoroughly enjoying it, I was very excited to be able to read the follow up “Black Summer” immediately after. Although either book works well as a stand-alone, I would recommend reading in order as it does benefit you to learn how all the working relationships link together.
The story starts with a prologue that was attention grabbing, a first chapter that was like something out of a Hanniba
Adrienne
Loved it. Wonderful. So many twists and turns. And how they all added up correctly - in the final chapter. Beautifully crafted characters, almost improbable events - that the normal mind rarely is able to eventually grasp. But is easy for a psychopath.
Delightful prose. Unputdownable.
Jess☺️
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black Summer by M.W. Craven is book 2 in the Washington Poe series and I just love it so far this series seems to get more exciting with each book.(also I need more 🌟)
Poe and Tilly are two characters you can't help but love and their quirky chemistry (it's like a brother ten years older and the geeky little sister) they have makes this series enjoyable and believable it also gives you a smile when it gets a little darker 😊
It's extremely addictive which makes it hard to put down,if you're looking
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Black Summer is the second book in the Washington Poe series and can easily be read as a stand alone but I really do urge you to read the previous book as it’s just as fabulous as this one.

I have been dying to be re united with Poe and Tilly and boy has it been worth the wait. This book was everything I hoped for and more. From the first jaw dropping chapter, the author well and truly had my attention.

Everything about this book is just first class. From the very clever story line, to the best ch
Bridget
A phenomenally good read!

I didn’t know what I had really been expecting from reading Black Summer by M. W. Craven but I certainly never imagined I would enjoy it as much as I did. Things got off to a bad start when I failed the download the book before it was archived, but it was all onwards and upwards from there, as I suggested this book as a purchase at my local library and they granted my wish!

The plot-line for this novel, so cleverly devised by M.W. Craven was in another league. I was fasci
The Book Review Café
Ever since I reached the last page The Puppet Show I have been (in)patiently waiting for Black Summer by M.W. Craven, the second book in the Washington Poe series. One of my favourite things about picking up a new book is when a crime author grabs your attention with a dramatic opening, as soon as I read the first page I just knew that this was a book I knew I would savour. Although Black Summer could be read as a stand-alone I would urge you to read both books in order, not doing so would be li ...more
Nancy
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Please read the promotional description for the storyline.

M. W. Craven has not only done it again he has surpassed his first novel in this excellently written sequel of the Washington Poe series. In this book, Craven has placed Detective Sergeant Washington Poe, and his endearingly loyal sidekick Tilly Bradshaw, into a crime of murder that is inherently gruesome and as complex as a Burr Puzzle. DS Poe finds himself under attack when the victim of a murderer he was responsible for apprehending su
Bill Lynas
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After their debut in M W Craven's novel The Puppet Show detective Washington Poe & his brilliant assistant Tilly Bradshaw return in a new thriller.
The story concerns Jared Keaton, a famous chef, who has been serving a life sentence for the murder of his daughter. Despite the daughter's body not being found Washington Poe's work succeeded in Keaton being convicted. So, when the chef's daughter turns up alive six years later everyone is in shock.
I was so gripped by this book that I raced through i
David Gilchrist
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic follow on from 'The Puppet Show' Compelling, intriguing with some humour and some dark parts too. An author that is a sleep thief of the top order.
Jennifer Nolan
Another great Washington Poe book. Having a Springer Spaniel I loved the discription the author gave of Edgar's traits many of which my Springer shares. I highly recommend this book.
The Cats’ Mother
I was late to the MW Craven party, having only read The Puppet Show a few weeks ago, after hearing about it for months. Well I wasn’t going to make the same mistake twice, so was very pleased to see this available from NetGalley - even if it meant going through the UK site. I’m pleased to report that this second Washington Poe book is even more fiendishly twisty than the first, and just as well written.

Six years earlier, Poe arrested a callous psychopath, celebrity chef Jared Keaton, for the mu
Lou
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Puppet Show was one of my absolute favourite reads of last year, made all the more incredible by the fact that it was a debut. I feel like I've been yearning for this second thriller in the Detective Sergeant Washington Poe series for a long time and it certainly didn't disappoint. This can be read independently of the first book without issue but it is so damn good you'll want to pick it up I am sure. Here, Poe's judgement is called into question when the apparent victim of a killer he help ...more
Nigel
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Briefly - An entertaining read and 4 star + a bit for me. I like the Poe/Tilly combination a lot.

In full
What an intriguing start to this book. It may not be particularly pleasant but it ends with Washington Poe being arrested. The story then goes back 2 weeks before his arrest to look at the events leading up to it. The story relates to a case solved by Poe a few years back. A celebrity chef was found guilty of murdering his daughter and has spent 6 years in prison so far. A young woman goes in
Michelle
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black Summer is the 2nd in the Washington Poe series, and I admit I am late starting this series as I only read The puppet Show before I read this one and WOW what a book that was so I was excited to get my hands on Black Summer.
Celebrity Chef Jared Keaton was convicted of murdering his daughter Elizabeth Keaton 6 years ago. Washington Poe is the man that got him convicted. But one stormy night, Elizabeth turns up alive in the Police drop in centre at a local library. Is it really her?
Poe now un
Warrengent
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didnt think that M.W.Craven could possibly better his debut novel, but to my amazement he has he definitely has.
Black summer had me watching the clock counting hours until I could get back to the brilliantly written book, from the excellent opening though to the genius of an ending I was totally blown away.
This series should be on everyone reading list, i find myself clock watching again now eagerly awaiting my delivery of The Curator book three of the truly mind blowing Washington poe series.
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

Can Black Summer be a worthy follow up to the brilliantly entertaining The Puppet Show? The answer is absolutely!

We make a welcome return to the world of the ever-confident DS Poe, and his brilliant sidekick Bradshaw (who I love reading about once again), with a storyline that is, to me, even more intriguing than that of The Puppet Show. Both stories are brilliant but I just found the story in Black Sumer to be easier to get into, and to really lose myself in.
Kirsty ❤️
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this series set in rural Cumbria & the characters involved. This time we have a chef that was imprisoned for murdering his daughter but several years later here she is claiming to have been held captive somewhere before mysteriously disappearing again. All signs start pointing to Poe having killed her for real this time.

I love all the characters in the series especially Tilly and her growing friendship with Poe. Her intellect is astounding especially when trying to prove Poe

• Cut Short
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Written in Blood (Robert Hunter, #11)
  • The Unlucky Ones (Jessica Daniel, #14)
  • Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)
  • Deadly Games (A Cavendish & Walker Novel, #1)
  • The Child Before
  • The Liar's House (Detective Gina Harte, #4)
  • The Chain
  • The Silent Dead (Solomon Gray Book 6)
  • Her Sister's Bones (Detective Iris Locke, #1)
  • The Dangerous Kind
  • Control
  • Clear My Name
  • The Understudy
  • The Anglesey Murders: Unholy Island
  • Beneath the Surface
  • I Never Left
M. W. Craven was born in Carlisle but grew up in Newcastle, running away to join the army at the tender age of sixteen. He spent the next ten years travelling the world having fun, leaving in 1995 to complete a degree in social work with specialisms in criminology and substance misuse. Thirty-one years after leaving Cumbria, he returned to take up a probation officer position in Whitehaven, eventu ...more

Washington Poe (5 books)
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • The Curator (Washington Poe, #3)
  • Dead Ground (Washington Poe, #4)
  • Cut Short