Start by marking “Pizza Girl” as Want to Read:
Pizza Girl

Pizza Girl

In the tradition of audacious and wryly funny novels like The Idiot and Convenience Store Woman comes the wildly original coming-of-age story of a pregnant pizza delivery girl who becomes obsessed with one of her customers.

Eighteen years old, pregnant, and working as a pizza delivery girl in suburban Los Angeles, our charmingly dysfunctional heroine is deeply lost and in
Expected publication: June 9th 2020 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Pizza Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pizza Girl

Start your review of Pizza Girl
L.S. Popovich
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, 2019, reviewed
I devoured this scrumptious coming-of-age novel in two sittings. On the level of voice, character development, and humor it struck all the right chords. It's Catcher in the Rye with a female lead, more modern, more swear words, and just more adult. Easily a cult classic, it was one of the most memorable and enjoyable books I read all year.

I will gladly read anything else the author puts out. For a first novel, it sizzles. It never stumbles, falters or cowers. From the gorgeous cover to the
The Artisan Geek
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookcase, favourites

11/1/20
WOW. I said it last year and I was right! This was so good oh my gosh! My first five star read of the year I'm so so happy! This was an amazing debut and I can't wait to see other people discover Jean Kyoung Frazier and her more than stellar writing this year! :)

14/12/19
This sounds sooo good!! WOW!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Jessica Woodbury
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, authors-of-color
You could call this book darkly funny, but I think that's an oversimplification. It is sometimes funny, but you can't ever get carried away by our protagonist's biting humor. Because under it all she is deeply unhappy. She has just finished with high school and is unexpectedly pregnant, living with her mother and boyfriend, who are both excited and thrilled about the pregnancy. She is not. She works at a pizza place and that is where she meets Jenny, a mother who calls in with an unusual order, ...more
Ceej  Leede
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book will wreck, inspire, and ignite you. Jean Frazier, and her Pizza Girl, are wise beyond their years and reflect all that holds us back and propels us forward in day to day life. This book is more than suburbia, more than teenage angst, more than the fears of impending motherhood and those of repeating our parents’ mistakes. It is life, lived fully, for 200 pages. Thank you to a writer who made me feel alive from the beginning of page one and on after the book ended. Read this ...more
Liisabet
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5.
This is such a beautifully poignant book. It has been compared to Convenience Store Woman in terms of its wry tone, and I do agree. Both of these books look at people who don't quite live up to society's expectations of them, one way or another. The characters in this are written with such tenderness, it made it difficult not to feel for them, and the wry humour never felt forced, but natural and fitting. For such a short book, it's amazing how invested I was in these characters and how
Anya
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
VERY EXCITED FOR THIS
Sara
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
this book was really weird, but in the best ways. the internal life of pizza girl was really lovely and intense and sad. i'm glad i finished it today. a part towards the end made me cry on the train because of how relatable it was. people are just people, you know?
Morgan Schulman
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reader-s-copy
Thanks to Edelweiss for the ARC

It’s hard to review this book in terms of like or dislike – I tore through it as fast as possible because I had to know if this character got a happy ending, and I’m not sure that I fully understood if her ending was happy or not. I definitely wanted more for her, but I could not always understand her motivation. The other female character is a bit of a cypher- If she had been stronger this book could’ve been a 5. Solid 4 star debut.
Erica
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was given the opportunity from Netgalley to read this ARC. Any opinions expressed and honest and my full opinion.

Pizza Girl is by far going to be one of my favorite reads of 2020. It’s just above 200 pages so I don’t want to give away too much. But this is a story about a pregnant 18 year old girls life and growing up. Finding love. Finding friendship in the weirdest of places. And raw, pure emotion. You don’t want to miss this one!
Kyoung Frazier
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, funny, sad, intellectual, all at the same time.
Danny
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was super fun! It is sort of a coming of age story about an 18 year old dealing with pregnancy, the death of her father and her new friendship that came from an unexpected place. Since this book is only about 200 pages i dont want to give too mucaway but I did very much enjoy it! Thank for netgalley for the ARC!
James Beggarly
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very funny tale of an eighteen year old woman who is pregnant and delivering pizzas for a living. She becomes obsessed with a woman who orders weekly, meanwhile unable to adjust to the idea of motherhood and alienating her loving mother and boyfriend. Funny and then heartbreaking, it was lovely to spend time in the mind of this young woman as she tries to find out what really matters in life.
Rachel  Drenning
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC of this novel. This was a very enjoyable coming of age tale. The characters were all very likable and interesting. It was a fun read that I read in one sitting. Looking forward to more by this author.
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quirky and original coming of age story of a young pregnant pizza delivery girl who becomes obsessed with one of her regular customers as an escape from her claustrophobic home life. Her dad has died, her boyfriend and her mom are loving but smothering. Funny and poignant.
Becky
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a book I won and therefore, I will give my opinion of it. It started out okay, but got more and more depressing to read. I am guessing it would appeal more to someone who tends to be more of an introvert, which I am not. I forced myself to finish it.
Jillian
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thrillingly wry debut from Jean Kyoung Frazier-- it’s a wholly unexpected coming-of-age novel, fraught with tendrils of obsession, female friendship, motherhood, and identity. ...more
Alana Archer
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best book I’ve read all year! Love this author, can’t wait to read more of her work
Csimplot Simplot
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: popular
Excellent book!!!
Danny
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Almost gave this a 4 since I do think the writer struggled with plot. Ultimately, gave it a 5 though because I feel like a novel of this type and quality is rare. Frazier has a sensitivity and writes with a warmth that I don't feel like I see often. It's easy for writers to be snarky funny, mean funny, and while this book is funny, it's never mean or using its funny to show off. Every character is drawn with tenderness. Parts of this book made me cry and when I finished, I cried the hardest. The ...more
Ryan Frazier

• Perfect Tunes
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • Uncanny Valley
  • Three Women
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Lakewood
  • All Adults Here
  • A Burning
  • An Evening of Long Goodbyes
  • Dept. of Speculation
  • A Particular Kind of Black Man
“Did she still miss me sometimes like I missed her—missing that had no electricity, no lightning, or thunder, a missing like a hand digging into an empty chip bag searching for crumbs, any last salty bit, a missing more like mourning.” 1 likes