Start by marking “Pizza Girl” as Want to Read:
Pizza Girl

Pizza Girl

In the tradition of audacious and wryly funny novels like The Idiot and Convenience Store Woman comes the wildly original coming-of-age story of a pregnant pizza delivery girl who becomes obsessed with one of her customers.

Eighteen years old, pregnant, and working as a pizza delivery girl in suburban Los Angeles, our charmingly dysfunctional heroine is deeply lost and in c
Published June 9th 2020 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Pizza Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pizza Girl

Start your review of Pizza Girl
The Artisan Geek
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
3/8/20
Did an interview with Jean back in January, so that one will hopefully be up sometime soon :)

11/1/20
WOW. I said it last year and I was right! This was so good oh my gosh! My first five star read of the year I'm so so happy! This was an amazing debut and I can't wait to see other people discover Jean Kyoung Frazier and her more than stellar writing this year! :)

14/12/19
This sounds sooo good!! WOW!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Thomas
I loved the tender and messy emotions in Pizza Girl even as I wanted more from the book too. The novel follows an unnamed eighteen-year-old pregnant pizza girl, who feels suffocated by the care of her supportive mother and doting boyfriend and haunted by the death of her alcoholic father. Early in the novel she meets Jenny, a stay-at-home mother who orders pizza with pickles on it. Our protagonist develops an obsession with Jenny and wants everything to do with her. This infatuation spirals into ...more
Sam Quixote
Pizza Girl is 18 years old, preggers and working at a pizza shop. Then she meets Jenny, a middle-aged mom with a son who will only eat pizza with pickles on. And so begins a strange friendship…

… yeah I didn’t like Jean Kyoung Frazier’s debut novel Pizza Girl. The blurb comparing it to Normal People makes me laugh - I don’t think the marketing team for this book read Sally Rooney’s novel because there is no similarity whatsoever, they just saw her sales figures and are trying to make that happen
Elyse  Walters
Aug 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Audiobook... narrated by
Jeena Yi

“Pizza Girl”, by Jean Kyoung Frazier had a catchy beginning.
But quickly I grew disenchanted.

I was getting nauseous from
the many empty calorie food concoctions: red licorice twisters, ice cream with Cheetos, cookies, candy, hot dogs. tacos, peanut butter. coke, and coffee, to name a ‘few’.

Reviewer, *Danielle*, described this book as a “Train Wreck”.
Danielle says:
“Do you like watching paint dry?? If yes, this book is for you! Too harsh? Whoever wrote the synopsis
L.S. Popovich
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, 2019
I devoured this scrumptious coming-of-age novel in two sittings. On the level of voice, character development, and humor it struck all the right chords. It's Catcher in the Rye with a female lead, more modern, more swear words, and just more adult. Easily a cult classic, it was one of the most memorable and enjoyable books I read all year.

I will gladly read anything else the author puts out. For a first novel, it sizzles. It never stumbles, falters or cowers. From the gorgeous cover to the immer
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Is it only called a nervous breakdown if there’s someone there to point at you and be, like, “Yo, get your shit straight, you are nervous and you are breaking down”?

A dramatic reenactment of my face any time someone dared walk into my reading room while I was devouring this . . . .

Pizza Girl is definitely not going to be for everyone (ACTUAL SPOILER SO BEWARE: (view spoiler)
Amy
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
I think I’m in the minority with this one but I’m surprised I managed to finish it, after wanting to DNF it so many times.

We have Pizza Girl, an unlikeable unnamed protagonist who develops an obsession with Jenny, a customer and wants everything to do with her. She is also pregnant, has a boyfriend and mother who are thrilled about the pregnancy while she feels differently.

The main thing for me was the lack of development in the characters and plot. Neither felt driven by that and I didn’t fee
Anna Luce
“They could support a teenage pregnancy, but not this, not a person who drifted from one moment to the next without any idea about where she was headed.”

Sayaka Murata meets Ottessa Moshfegh in this freewheeling and darkly funny debut novel. Jean Kyoung Frazier's deadpan wit and playful cynicism give a subversive edge to what could otherwise seem like yet another tale of millennial ennui.

Pizza Girl is uncompromising in its portrayal of love, obsession, addiction, and depression. Our narrator an
Scott
Oct 06, 2020 rated it liked it
"I stared hard at every person I walked past. If they didn't tell me my shoes were untied, I cursed them in my head - '**** you, how dare you not warn a pregnant woman that she could fall' - and if they did tell me my shoes were untied, I cursed them in my head - '**** you, leave me alone, I can do whatever I want.'" -- the titular protagonist, on page 35

To paraphrase a sentiment from the late film critic Roger Ebert (tweaking it from directing a movie to writing a book) about a first-timer brea
Skyler Autumn
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
1.5 Stars

This book was very forgettable. It follows the story of an unnamed self-absorbed protagonist (who is young and pregnant) and her obsession with a woman she delivers pizza too. The obsession or connection these two characters share is never really explained or explored. The most common thing I can think that these women share is their level of self absorption which is written in such way that you're not amused or entertained just irritated.

Like the character's in the novel this book i
Jessica Woodbury
You could call this book darkly funny, but I think that's an oversimplification. It is sometimes funny, but you can't ever get carried away by our protagonist's biting humor. Because under it all she is deeply unhappy. She has just finished with high school and is unexpectedly pregnant, living with her mother and boyfriend, who are both excited and thrilled about the pregnancy. She is not. She works at a pizza place and that is where she meets Jenny, a mother who calls in with an unusual order, ...more
David
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is so punk rock. While I finish another Asian-American novel wrestling with notions of identity, navigating micro-aggressions and the weighty calculus of being a "model minority" I get to follow it up with this debut from queer Korean-American Jean Kyoung Frazier. Her Korean-American protagonist Pizza Girl is 18 and pregnant. She's not wringing her hands about what it means to be bi-racial and raise a child who will technically be more white than Korean, or worrying about how her dopey whit ...more
Paris (parisperusing)
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"I had been thinking constantly about han, a feeling that had been killing generation upon generation of Korean people. According to Mom, han was born in the gut and rose to the chest. … Han was a sickness of the soul, an acceptance of having a life that would be filled with sorrow and resentment and knowing that deep down, despite this acceptance, despite cold and hard facts that proved life was long and full of undeserved miseries, "hope" was still a word that carried warmth and meaning. Despi ...more
Laura • lauralovestoread
I abandoned everything that I was reading temporarily and binge read Pizza Girl in one sitting last night, and I loved it! Told in such an honest, unusual way, with just enough humor, and I just loved this coming-of-age story.⁣

I don’t know what it is about oddball characters with wit that I gravitate towards so much, but the protagonist in this story really pulled me in. It’s weird and tender, and at every funny turn there’s also such unexpected rawness.⁣

*thank you Doubleday for the free copy!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Jaclyn Crupi
Electric Literature says Pizza Girl is the "The Queer Slacker Pizza Delivery Novel We’ve Been Waiting For" and I'm not even sure I can say it better than that, but I'll try.

"Her name was Jenny Hauser and every Wednesday I put pickles on her pizza." And that's how the novel PIZZA GIRL begins. I've had this book on my radar but the comparisons to Moshfegh didn't make me want to try it - but it is one of the shortest books from the Tournament of Books longlist that I could get from the library with
Nursebookie
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am obsessed!

Pizza Girl was endearing and surprisingly, a very good read that caught me by surprise. This was a flawless debut novel about an unforgettably flawed Korean- American protagonist I adored completely. Such a unique read.

Our Pizza Girl is eighteen years old, pregnant, lost, and grieving the death of her father. Living with her mom and boyfriend in the suburbs of Los Angeles, she connects with one of her customers, Jenny whom she delivers pizza to.

This book was so quirky I read and
Barbara
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Han: a Korean term/ concept for an acceptance of having a life filled with sorrow and resentment. “

Pizza Girl” by Jean Kyoung Frazier follows Jane, the narrator, in her eighteenth year, pregnant, rudderless, and searching. Jane is sad, self-destructive, yet yearning for something to make her life happy.

I tend to judge a book by its cover, and hence I thought “Pizza Girl” would be a quirky fun protagonist like in “Lady Bird”. Alas, no such thing in the novel. Yet, I loved it all the same. Jane is
TraceyL
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Ehhhh. This book was just Ok. It's being compared to Convenience Store Woman but I very much disagree with that comparison. The only similarity is that both books are about women working low-level jobs.

This book is also tagged as having the MPG of humor, but I don't think that's true either. Occasionally the main character will say something sarcastic or shows a kind of black humor, but most books do that. This is about a young woman who has no idea who or what she wants to be. She's pregnant b
Mari
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it

I just also read Luster by Raven Leilani, which is a good comparison point for this book: a slice of life with a messy character in a bad place making bad decisions. This also feels unresolved at the end, because what resolution could you possibly have in 200 pages for such a complex things as life?

As with all of these sorts of short looks at car wreck lives sorts of stories, the make it or break it will be whether you can withstand the cringe, if you find the dark humor funny, and whether or n
da AL
Jan 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: modern-fiction
Pizza Girl is no rah-rah cheerleader, which is a beautiful thing. Wonderfully written, this book left me thinking about how life isn't always as tidy as I'd like, retributions aren't always forthcoming in the way I want, and wishing the best for all Pizza Girls seniors, Pizza Girl juniors... Can't wait to read more by Frazier! ...more
Roman Clodia
There's an interesting thread in female-authored contemporary fiction which is challenging complacency and stability narratives and that's where I'd place this: it's a little like Halle Butler's The New Me without such a strong women-at-work aesthetic. Frazier's protagonist confronts a different taboo: pregnancy, and the fact that she's just not sure she wants it.

With issues of millenial malaise, wanting and yet being suffocated by love, obsession and fantasy, dealing with grief, and tackling t
Tiernan
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most unique, funny, and totally gripping contemporary books I've read this year. What stands out the most is how completely frustrated I was by the main character while still rooting for her. If you want to read a short (200 pages) book that will shake your world, IT'S THIS ONE. ...more
Matthew
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate enough not having to grow up too fast. It’s something I’ve thought a lot about these days, one of many examples of white privilege I’d taken for granted yet now recognize more than ever. If anything, my growing up took longer than it should have; one could argue it’s still in progress. But at 18, I didn’t know shit (nor was I expected to), the closest thing to tumultuous having been a few alcohol-related, vomit-inducing nights out with the boys.

The same could be said for pretty
Katie Long
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up is really hard. I know that sounds obvious, but this gem of a book reminded me of the fact in such a fresh and relatable way, it seems that I had nearly forgotten it.
Never Without a Book
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chile!!!! Pizza Girl is a HOT MESS!!! I enjoyed every moment of this ride. LOL!!!!! Short & entertaining.
Tiffany
Jun 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What on earth did I just read..... Blech. Worst book I’ve read all year by far. I feel gross all over. Read at your own risk, the main character is despicable, and I can’t even qualify it by saying she redeemed herself or anything. Awful awful awful. The writing is fine, but the story itself is nonexistent and the character development .. well that’s nonexistent too. There’s zero redeeming qualities to this main character and her motivations, so I’ll give zero stars to this story too.
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
An alcoholic sociopath stalks a pizza-delivery customer who has inexplicably tried to befriend her. I was looking for something to sink my teeth into and instead got a fast, unchallenging read that left me disturbed.
Ingerlisa
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: releases-2020
Let me begin by saying this a genre that I don't read really all that often to be honest. That being said, literary fiction is one of those genres that I feel like I should read more from.

This was a really quirky but really enjoyable read. I would say this is very much a coming of age story where you follow a pregnant 18 year old girl that works in a pizza place. And she kind of becomes fixated on this middle aged lady who orders once a week a pizza for her son. This was one of those unique
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I honestly don’t know what I was expecting from this book but I got much more than I bargained for!

Readers are introduced to a deeply unhappy eighteen-year-old pizza delivery girl in L.A. She just recently found out that she’s pregnant and has a wonderful support system with her mom and boyfriend at home. Unfortunately our MC feels completely smothered by the people who care about her the most and is also in total denial about grieving the death of her alcoholic dad.

One day she picks up a call
Jaclyn Crupi
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love this book and both its covers so much. It’s Juno meets Sorry to Disrupt the Peace. A darkly funny and understated coming of age novel that made me think of Motherest and My Year of Rest and Relaxation.

• Pocket Full of Glass
  • Home Before Dark
  • On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • 28 Summers
  • Three Women
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • An Evening of Long Goodbyes
  • Sleep
  • The Most Fun We Ever Had
  • Real Men Knit
  • The Topeka School
Lives in Los Angeles. Pizza Girl is her debut novel.

Articles featuring this book

Someday, this year will end! And with the ringing in of 2021, we will come to the end of this year's Goodreads Reading Challenge. Of course,...
“Did she still miss me sometimes like I missed her—missing that had no electricity, no lightning, or thunder, a missing like a hand digging into an empty chip bag searching for crumbs, any last salty bit, a missing more like mourning.” 4 likes
“Soon, you'll have your own beautiful boy or girl who will look at you with their perfect little face and you'll feel love and hope and, mostly, you'll feel the weight of everything that's ever happened to you and everything that will ever happen to them and you'll want to run.” 3 likes