Start by marking “Warriors of Understone” as Want to Read:
Warriors of Understone

Warriors of Understone

Durgan must struggle to overcome not only his common birth but also the prejudices of a stagnant and isolated society to become one of the warriors of Understone. The sprawling dwarven city lies deep beneath the mountains, at the heart of a kingdom that has not changed its ways in centuries. Plagued by threats both within and without, life is a constant struggle to survive ...more
Published February 22nd 2019 by Kyanite Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Warriors of Understone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warriors of Understone

Start your review of Warriors of Understone
M.E. II
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Epic feel in a novella
Warriors of Understone is an excellent new novella crafted by the skilled hand of B.K. Bass. I was immediately immersed into the detailed society and caught up within the caste structure and setting completely. Each character spoke with their own unique voice and pursued a grounded agenda. Their interactions wove seamlessly into a rich tapestry of visceral reality. Everything had a real and immediate feel to it. The story carried me along at a breathless pace, building up t
Tiffany Young
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was amazing and I would recommend it to anyone. There were a few formatting issues but not enough to make me stop reading. Durgan had a heart of gold and struggled with self doubt. But the way his confidence rose in the end was amazing.
Crystal Kirkham
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure what to expect of this story when I got it. The previous work I’ve read and enjoyed by B.K. Bass, Night Shift, was set in a strikingly different futuristic world. As much as I love fantasy and hold it dear, my tastes in reading tend more towards contemporary and science fiction. I’ve always been picky when it comes to high fantasy and it takes two things to make me fall fully in love with a high-fantasy story: a richly developed world and intriguing characters that drive the plot ...more
Eric Lahti
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What B.K. Bass gives us in Warriors of Understone is character-driven fiction that uses the fictional world and all its nuances as a jumping-off point for the actual meat of the story. And the story, for all its fantastical elements, is a very human story about very human things. That’s what makes it special and, arguably, what makes any fantasy story magical: Less time spent describing a feast from a thousand years ago and more time focusing on motivation.

Even if fantasy isn’t your bag, give Wa
Aisha Tritle
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW.
After the dramatis personae and breakdown of dwarven pronouns in the beginning, I knew I was going to enjoy it - but I didn’t know I was going to enjoy it THIS much. I loved it.
The world was masterfully developed. The characters were colorful. The writing style is beautiful - and at times, reminiscent of the George MacDonald fantasy novels I loved growing up.
Very excited to read more in this series.
Michael Nadeau
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book takes you deep into a setting rife with tradition and the stuffy winds of change. The culture is done well and the flavor it is written in is fresh. If you like fantasy at all you will love this book!
Janet Forbes
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun, fast-paced book about social change in a traditional dwarves kingdom! If you’re looking for a quick, satisfying read then this is for you!
Kati Felix
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this in one sitting! B. K. Bass has woven a fantastic tale of a Dwarven society split by caste and social problems. I thoroughly enjoyed getting into the mind of Durgan and seeing the culture through his eyes. The conflicts, both between the characters themselves and with the society, felt authentic and tense. It goes without saying that the worldbuilding is also excellent. Dwarves aren't a typical choice as the subject of a fantasy work, let alone their inner workings and conflicts. ...more
DaMaar
Mar 20, 2019
DaMaar
Mar 25, 2019
Aisha Tritle
May 27, 2020
B.K.
Feb 22, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: authored-books
Kent Corlain
Sep 05, 2019
C.D. Storiz
May 28, 2020

• River (The Beginning of the End #1)
  • The Magician's Sin
  • What They Deserve
  • Company of the Damned
  • It Came From The Deep  (Supernatural Sisters, #3)
  • Mind's Horizon
  • The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
  • Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales #2)
  • Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)
  • Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #3)
  • Northanger Abbey (The Austen Project, #2)
  • Man from the South
  • The Modern Faerie Tales: Tithe; Valiant; Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #1-3)
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
B.K. is an author of science fiction, fantasy, and horror inspired by the pulp fiction magazines of the early 20th century and classic speculative fiction. He is a student of history with a particular focus on the ancient, classical, and medieval eras. He has a lifetime of experience with a specialization in business management and human relations and also served in the U.S. Army.

B.K. Bass is als