Start by marking “Driftwood Days” as Want to Read:
Driftwood Days

Driftwood Days

Under autumn leaves, a boy watches a beaver build a dam. One of the branches slips away, carried downstream by the river. Through the changing seasons, the branch makes a long, epic journey to the sea, before finally getting tossed back onto shore. Changed by the elements, the branch—now driftwood—lies patiently on the beach, until the boy discovers it once again.

Featuring
Published October 22nd 2019 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Driftwood Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driftwood Days

Start your review of Driftwood Days
Tasha
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Follow the journey as a branch from a beaver’s dam heads downstream to eventually become a piece of driftwood on a beach. A boy watches in the autumn trees as a branch breaks away from the dam and takes a winding journey. It gets stuck for a frozen winter and then is loosened again and gets into the ocean. There, it serves as a perch for birds, gets caught in a net, and is once again thrown back into the salt water. When it eventually washes onto the beach, the wood is entirely transformed into ...more
Suzanne
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
This circular story follows a branch as it drifts from the mountains downstream to the sea, then back again as a souvenir piece of driftwood. Along the way that same branch encounters the changing seasons: autumn leaves, a frozen boulder in a wintry river, green reeds in springtime, and then the summer warmth of the beach. Warm colored pencil and ink illustrations capture the trip through the year and the countryside. Readers will see wildlife such as chipmunks, turtles, and seagulls when the ...more
Shaunterria
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this quiet tale of a branch that escaped an industrious beaver and the adventures it had drifting downstream to the ocean. The amazing illustrations portray the diversity of fauna that come to rely on the bough during its journey, while also accurately depicting the changes the branch undergoes during its transition to driftwood. A great addition to science units about biomes and the interconnectivity of food webs for elementary age students, while the colored pencil and ink ...more
Jane
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Living in the desert, driftwood is a concept of which many of my students have no first hand knowledge. I appreciate the way author William Miniver describes how driftwood is formed. His description makes this book a great addition to a science unit. Charles Vess’ colored pencil and ink drawings help readers visualize things they may never have seen.
I would not hesitate to add Driftwood Days to my K-12 Christian School library. I will be including it in my Mock Caldecott unit this fall.
I
Great Books
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 20-ages-3-5
As a boy watches, a tree branch breaks from a beaver lodge. Over three seasons it travels to the ocean where the boy unknowingly discovers it again as a piece of beautiful, smooth driftwood. The richly shaded colored pencil and ink illustrations are accompanied by minimal, yet descriptive text which puts this seemingly insignificant event into ecological perspective. Reviewer 4
Norkett
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I grabbed this one as it reminded me of vacations on Lake Superior. It has much more in store than a day at the beach. We never knew the significance of driftwood in the ecological system. A real educational piece, lovely illustrations which look to be done with colored pencils, and the end includes a note all about the role driftwood has played over the course of time.
Engel Dreizehn
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hmmm I can see in a school library under sciences and it convey the frame of both how the water cycle works (and where does water travels to) but also the process/weathering of driftwood + how are they important in nature.
Alyssa Gudenburr
This story shows the seasons and the path a piece of driftwood takes. This would be best as a one-on-one story in order to appreciate all the details in the illustrations.
Jason
A beautiful story about life cycles and amazing journeys and second chances with stunning artwork.
Peacegal
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cool! Wonderful illustrations tell the story of an important and so often overlooked ecological resource. I learned quite a bit about driftwood at the book's conclusion!
Chris Jamison
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful story, beautifully illustrated by Mr. Vess.
Mary Lee
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture-book, nature
A circular story that highlights the ecology of driftwood. Beautiful illustrations.
Julie Vaught
Jennifer Miera
Nov 08, 2019
Cat
Oct 28, 2019

• The Hike: (Nature Book for Kids, Outdoors-Themed Picture Book for Preschoolers and Kindergarteners)
  • Sulwe
  • Sunny Day: A Celebration of Sesame Street
  • Ho'onani: Hula Warrior
  • Mini Rabbit Not Lost (Mini Rabbit)
  • Caspian Finds a Friend
  • In the Sky at Nightime
  • A Fox Found a Box
  • What Color Is Night?
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • Finding Kindness
  • Just Because
  • A Trapezoid Is Not a Dinosaur!
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story