Start by marking “Exactly as You Are: The Life and Faith of Mister Rogers” as Want to Read:
Exactly as You Are: The Life and Faith of Mister Rogers

Exactly as You Are: The Life and Faith of Mister Rogers

Welcome to the spiritual neighborhood of Fred Rogers

“I like you as you are
Exactly and precisely
I think you turned out nicely
And I like you as you are.”

Fred Rogers fiercely believed that all people deserve love. This conviction wasn’t simply sentimental: it came directly from his Christian faith. God, he insisted, loves us just the way we are.

InExactly as You Are, Shea
Published October 22nd 2019 by Eerdmans

To ask other readers questions about Exactly as You Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exactly as You Are

Start your review of Exactly as You Are: The Life and Faith of Mister Rogers
Porter Sprigg
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a heartwarming and insightful look at Mr. Rogers’ spiritual life. At times I felt like the book was a bit too speculative. Then again, I love spiritual speculation about TV shows so I wonder if that’s a hypocritical critique. All in all, a worthy read.
Vicki Huizenga
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
How can you not like Mr. Rogers? He reminded kids that "It's you I like" and "It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood." Excellent read that reminds us that our faith should be infused in all aspects of our lives. My favorite take away was the reminder that all ground should be seen as holy ground.
Cheryl Klein
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
In addition to telling a compelling and inspiring story about one of TV's most beloved icons, Shea Tuttle channels his best qualities into her writing, which is thoughtful, gentle, and deliberate. Reading this book feels strangely immersive, as if you're not just learning about the quirky, driven, and genuine man behind the neighborhood, but being cared for by him. Tuttle considers the ways in which Fred--the product of wealthy, loving parents from Latrobe, Pennsylvania--was both ahead of his ...more
Allison
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this biography of Fred Rogers. (Far better than another one I read recently, which was poorly and boring-ly written.) This was a wonderful look at the life he led and how he came to do the work he did. The writing flows very nicely and the book was organized very well. It was well researched and yet perfectly succinct and efficient while still telling us much about Fred. I loved the connection of his work to his beliefs. The religious connections shared in the book seldom felt forced, ...more
Kristin
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have long claimed that the mark of a good non-fiction book is how often you find yourself telling people about what you learned in it. As both a Christian and a social worker who specializes in Early Childhood, I told almost everyone I knew about a tidbit or wisdom from "Exactly as You Are: the Life and Faith of Mr. Rodgers."

So often children are thought of as an afterthought, mini-adults who should "get with the program." Mister Rogers' slow and deliberate approach to interaction with
Elizabeth Felicetti
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance review copy of this book. I didn’t watch Mister Rogers often when I was growing up. While he seemed like a nice man, I didn’t care for the puppets on the program. I’ve read bits here and there about Fred Rogers on social media since his death, especially following tragedies, when people remember him saying “Look for the helpers.” I also learned that he was ordained, and as a clergy person myself, that interested me.

“Exactly As You Are” exceeded my expectations. I was
Joel Wentz
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very heartwarming biography of a heartwarming individual. Tuttle does a fantastic job capturing the theological influences on Fred Rogers. Each chapter ends with an explicit connection to a scriptural-theological-religious idea, and even for those who don't consider themselves "religious," it lends a layer towards a deeper understanding of what made Mr. Rogers who he was. Like Rogers himself, Tuttle approaches everything with a generous disposition, which makes for an enjoyable book overall.

Richard Felix
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a Excellent book easy to read and follow, it’s a HUGE help to better understand the LIFE and what made Fred Rogers to be became and lived on a day to basis, Truly remarkable awed in this Iconic Larger than Life Man Of Service n Character. You’ll enjoy and better understand Fred Rogers aka Mr Rogers from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. It’s a Short Read you won’t be dissatisfied has tons of Gems. ...more
Teer Hardy
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mister Rogers has touched the life of nearly ever adult I know. Shea Tuttle combed through the mountains of information about the icon of my childhood and revealed not only more about the life of the creator of the Land of Make-believe but also proclaimed the Good News, that in Christ we are all welcomed into God’s neighborhood. This book is a must for preachers and teachers, fans of Mister Rogers, and his greatest critics.
ETHEL
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, inspirational and well written book

The purposeful way he lived his life should be a blue print for us all. This is a book I will revisit.
Sascha
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled to find a book exploring the way faith formed and informed Fred Rogers, and this book did not disappoint. The writing is clear and engaging, and the story of Mr. Rogers is insightful and, naturally, uplifting (it is Mr. Rogers after all!). The perspective, in particular, is uniquely situated among accounts of Fred Rogers. Highly recommend to those interested in faith, theology, and the goodness of ordinary folks.
Becky
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Weekday afternoons when I was a child often found me curled up on the brown, plaid couch in our basement family room, draped in a homely, single-yarn brown afghan, my fingers poking through its open knit.

Premise/plot: Exactly As You Are is a spiritualized biography of Fred Rogers, aka Mister Rogers. After a few chapters about his early life, college years, and first job experiences, the book settles down into exploring Mister Rogers and his neighborhood. From here the book
Alex Joyner
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a gentle, generous, beautiful book about a person who embodied the best of what America can be. At a time when so many of our values are being challenged, it’s good to be reminded of what an incarnational faith looks like. You’ll fall in love with Mr. Rogers all over again.

The scene Shea Tuttle describes in the introduction of her great new book is so familiar that it could be any one of us as a child. Curled up on a couch wrapped in a holey Afghan watching a television show alone. And
Breanne
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exactly As You Are is a beautiful book that made me love Mister Rogers even more than I already did. It is easy to read yet very thoroughly researched and intelligently written. Shea Tuttle’s writing is well crafted, with words and sentences woven together beautifully, and each chapter left me wanting more. I read this book having already read a different book about Mister Rogers and watched the documentary that came out in 2018, but I learned so much more about him from Tuttle’s book - she ...more
David
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Pleasant story of an exceptionally pleasant person, just in time for the Tom Hanks movie about him I guess. Doesn't really do much with critique of the program or the puppetry or anything, just using that to illustrate various points about his religious faith and his life. Lots of stuff I didn't know but am not surprised by [he was a loyal and thoughtful friend, had a long and happy marriage, didn't like violent kids TV cartoons.......]

Other tidbits i wouldn't necessarily have predicted -- he
Matt Hooper
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We are in a moment of peak–Mr. Rogers. Several recent biographies, a documentary film, and a Tom Hanks movie have dropped all within the past year as we collectively reminisce on and long for the quiet, gentle, moral leadership of TV's greatest children's program host. Even in the midst of so much competition, Shea Tuttle's compact tome stands out. Focusing on Fred's faith, his emotions, and his relationships, Tuttle portrays Rogers as much more than a good person, but a little less than a ...more
Bill
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is probably little in this book that is new to a serious student of Mister Rogers. I have read very little about Fred Rogers yet still found little here that surprised me or that was new. It seems to me that Mister Rogers' faith is hardly a new subject. What makes the book such a great achievement is its tone. The book has the same irenic spirit as Mister Rogers himself. It is warm, caring, and capacious just like its subject. The authorial voice is just pitch perfect.
Dawn
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
The book was good, but not great. I love the subject. Some of the writing clunked, and I could have really done without the speculation over Mr. Rogers' sexual orientation. I think my favorite part was near the end where, thru prayer and a willingness to serve, Fred Rogers seemed to always be present in his friends' and associates' lives just when they needed him most.
Karina
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. What a lovely and moving depiction of Mister a Rogers/Mr. Fred Rogers and his life as it was informed by his faith. This is not intended to be an all-encompassing, no details spared biography, but an analysis of how his Christianity shaped the creation of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood. I was deeply moved, as a Christian and a parent, and intend to purchase and re-read this.
Lindy
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How can you not love Mr. Rogers? I enjoyed learning about him and it’s funny how much of his show I remember 30+ years later. He’s an inspiration and we could definitely use a little more of him in this world.
Irene
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shea Tuttle masterfully sets the tone of this loving book that weaves in and out of Mr. Rogers’ life integrating his deep faith. I cannot imagine reading this and not remembering that we are liked and loved exactly as we are.
Kym
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked learning a little more about Fred Rogers and how his faith affected his life. However, I didn't really like the writing style and the references to other chapters so frequently was distracting.
Dalen
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
An interesting look at an interesting, and great, man that had a profound impact on so many people. I hope a high percentage of the book is indeed true. Me. Rogers was so creative while being a man of faith. Thus book can almost be used as a devotion book.
Therese
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Admiration for Mr. Rogers. This book does not totally gloss over his humanity. He seems to have been a difficult family member or boss, but an amazing friend.
Jamie Lyon
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely and thoughtful. Not a lot new here, but the way the author ties the ideas to scripture is nice. An easy, pleasant read.
Porter
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful bio of Fred Rogers! The last part of each chapter did an excellent job relating passages from the Bible to how it translated into action in his show.
Cynthia
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just outstanding! I recommend it to you all.
Kristin
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Wonderfully theological, yet accessible. An incredible close look into the work of Fred Rogers who is both treasured and made very human in this book.
Christina
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Sweet and light. More powerful for the subject than the writing.
Chris Beck
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Well written for smooth transitions.

• A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Movie Tie-In): Neighborly Words of Wisdom from Mister Rogers
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • The Good Nurse: A True Story of Medicine, Madness, and Murder
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • Salvation (Salvation Sequence #1)
  • The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel
  • The Girl Before
  • The Shortest Way Home
  • All the Wrong Moves: A Memoir about Chess, Love, and Ruining Everything
  • Walking with Frodo: A Devotional Journey Through the Lord of the Rings
  • Christmas Eve, 1914
  • Lady of Perdition (Benjamin January, #17)
  • Empire of Sand (The Books of Ambha, #1)
  • The Winding Path of Transformation: Finding Yourself Between Glory and Humility