Start by marking “A is for Audra: Broadway's Leading Ladies from A to Z” as Want to Read:
A is for Audra: Broadway's Leading Ladies from A to Z

A is for Audra: Broadway's Leading Ladies from A to Z

From Audra McDonald to Liza with a "Z," this is a rythmic alphabet book featuring your favorite leading ladies of the Broadway stage!

Start with "A" for six-time Tony Award winner Audra McDonald, then sing and dance your way through the alphabet with entertainers like Carol Channing, Angela Lansbury, Patti LuPone, Bernadette Peters, Chita Rivera, Lea Salonga, and Liza
Published November 12th 2019 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A is for Audra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A is for Audra

Start your review of A is for Audra: Broadway's Leading Ladies from A to Z
Bookishrealm
Loved this one! I mean I really loved it. I was so surprised how much I didn't know. I won't consider myself a huge Broadway fan, but I definitely thought that I would know more about the women highlighted in this book and surprisingly I didn't. So that being said, I learned a whole lot. The author utilizes each letter of the alphabet to highlight a leading lady of broadway and even uses the letter "X" to highlight women that he couldn't fit into the poem. I also enjoyed that he provided context ...more
Lesa
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a Broadway fan, even before I actually saw the book, I wanted a copy of John Robert Allman's A is for Audra. He wrote the book, but this picture book wouldn't be anywhere near as wonderful without Peter Emmerich's illustrations of Broadway's leading ladies. It's subtitled, "Broadway's Leading Ladies from A to Z", and this adult just had to have this book. I love it more every time I look at it.

Check out that cover with Carol Channing, Liza Minnelli, Audra McDonald, Patti LuPone, Bernadette
Nancy Kotkin
I'm unclear who the audience for this book is, since alphabet picture books are for 3-5 year olds who would not have seen any of these shows or heard of any of these famous divas. The letters F and S are not devoted to "Broadway's leading ladies" (Fosse = male choreographer & Sondheim = male composer), and the letters X and Y do not even designate people. The last few pages are devoted to very brief biographies of all the performers mentioned in the alphabet line-up. An encyclopedia approach ...more
Nicole
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
S’wonderful!
Baby Bookworm
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is A is for Audra: Broadway’s Leading Ladies From A to Z, written by John Robert Allman and illustrated by Peter Emmerich, a stylish celebration of the greatest lady thespians of the Great White Way.

Told in appropriately lyrical rhyming text, this biographical alphabet book is packed to the gills with some of the most notable women to walk the boards. From household names like Julie Andrews and Barbra Streisand, to breakout stars like Lea Salonga and Heather
Barbara
Ah, if I lived in New York City, I'd be at every play that opened on Broadway. Luckily, when I lived in New Orleans, many shows came to our city as part of their tours, and I was fortunate enough to see Cats, Into the Woods, The Phantom of the Opera, and Miss Saigon, among others. This charming and lively ABC picture book brought back all the delights of those shows and the singing, dancing, and acting that always inspired me. It's a veritable retrospective and song of praise to those wonderful ...more
Ben Truong
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A is for Audra: Broadway's Leading Ladies from A to Z is a children's picture book written by John Robert Allman and illustrated by Peter Emmerich. It is part biographical book and part alphabet book that have women of the Broadway theatre take center stage once again in this loving homage.

Allman's text is rather simplistic, straightforward, informative, and lyrical. This inclusive rhyming abecedarian begins with Audra McDonald and ends with Liza Minnelli with captions identifying each performer
Lisa
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh! An Alphabet book about the greatest musical theater actresses ever to tread the boards? You better believe it! Each has at least a full page illustration in their iconic role with a caption at the bottom in case you aren’t familiar and the year and title of the show.

So much fun to read with my drama buddies as we tried to guess the actress by just the picture - the short rhymed text is an additional tribute. Some of the trickier letters are creatively managed by making Bernadette Peters
Gabrielle Stoller
I adore Broadway. So when I heard last year that this book was coming out....I just had to look it up! Well, it took forever to come in. But it finally did. And I'm so happy I got to look at it.

It won't appeal to everyone. In fact, it's not an alphabet book I would even consider for a storytime. BUT what I love is all of the strong female singers that are represented. Classic throwbacks like Judy Holliday (who no, didn't get her own letter but still was acknowledged) to THE Audra MacDonald and
Michelle Marie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Santa left this delightful book under the Christmas tree for my oldest daughter, along with tickets to see Come From Away on tour • If you are a Broadway fan even just a smidge, you need to pick up this book!

The rhythmic cadence and colorful illustrations make this by far my favorite children's ABC book and also one of my favorite picture books in general • The tidbits of theater knowledge worked into the short lines and the vast cast of female stars showcased result in a bookshelf smash!

Another
Yazmín
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Was very excited for this one but was a tad disappointed with the range of divas included. I feel like the Hamilton ladies were added because the author just saw the show - I would’ve chosen Karen Olivo as a diva over Jasmine Cephas-Jones who is great but doesn’t have as much experience. And no Sara Ramirez?!?! No Shoshana Bean?!
But it was still enjoyable and fun way to ABC it. Liked the way X was incorporated, and I loved the bios at the end (although some weren’t as detailed as others and I
Read  Ribbet
A is for Audra is a unique alphabet celebrating a diverse group of women from Broadway. Presented with rhymed verse, it is a great way to introduce any reader to Broadway stars. Each star and their illustrated role is also identified in captions on each page. Some detours (F is for Fosse and S is for Sondheim) and the X page is filled with eXtras that didn't fit elsewhere, this alphabet book provides a lot of information which is extended even further in the end notes. Part of profits are ...more
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This book is so great, but there are two major issues that keep it from being five stars:

1- The book cheats on letters F and S, choosing to use Fosse and Sondheim. There have been many incredible roles for women written by these esteemed gentlemen, by neither are one of “Broadway’s Leading Ladies”.

2- Where oh where is Rita Moreno?!? She’s completely missing from the book, and that is a travesty.
Robert
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A Perfect Gift for Every Broadway Devotee!

In the style of a children's ABC book (and perfect for every young triple threat you know), this was a deligthful trip down memory lane of performers and performances I loved and/or wished to have seen. From Audra to Z (guess who), every illustration is gorgeous and every bit of doggerel delightful.
Robin
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
If there's a Broadway musical fan in your life, you may still have time to purchase and give this book for the upcoming holidays. It's a really fantastic overview of SO many leading ladies, not just the 26 you would imagine with the A to Z concept.

I loved this book and can't wait to read it again! So much fun!
Kristin
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads, favorites
This is such a sweet homage to so many of Broadway's greatest leading ladies! The illustrations are absolutely STUNNING. I loved the way John Allman noted every character/production displayed in the photos and put little bios of each woman in the back of the book as well. This would make a wonderful gift for any budding (or long time!) theatre fan.
Caitlyn
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A necessary book for any theater fan - John Robert Allman gives a wonderful tribute to all the best women in the industry. The beautiful illustrations by Peter Emmerich bring each and every page to life - especially the final spread for 'Z.' Perfect for all ages!
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Very cute and lots of breadth, though with entries on Fosse and Sondheim it would have been nice to see entries on Tesori and Ahrens (both with shows mentioned in the book!), due to the subject matter.
Erikka
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2020
This was ADORABLE. I love seeing all these amazing women celebrated for their skills and talents. The art is beautiful and bold and the citations at the end are a great way to meet new chanteuses to obsess over. What will be your next favorite play?
Mollie
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot! I really loved the diversity of stars included, and that each illustration included what show the costume in it was from. I do wish the illustrations were a little stronger, but otherwise I think this is a great one to share with little Broadway fans.
Lisa Burris
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful artwork and clever rhymes introduce children to the great women of the Broadway stage. The book includes brief, single-paragraph bios of all of the people mentioned in the text. A portion of the proceeds from the book will go to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids.
Stefanie Kellum
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I've been waiting my whole life for this book, and I didn't even realize it. ;) I believe I shall have to buy it especially since a portion of the proceeds go to Broadway Cares!

*I read a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss.
Steven Copp
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so so special, brought tears to my eyes as I read it.
Karyn
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!! So clever and the artwork is bright and accurate to the women it portrays.
Anna Smithberger
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful book with lovely illustrations. Definitely in the category of more for grownups than littles, but great for any musical theater fan!
Katy
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very cool!
Edward Sullivan
A spotlight on Broadway's brightest female stars.
Christi
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it--all except for K LOL

Q was the best
Elizabeth
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
An alphabetical tribute to Broadway's leading ladies-lots of fun!
Becca Rutkowski
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book about the leading ladies of Broadway!

• Saturday
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Truman
  • Our House Is on Fire: Greta Thunberg's Call to Save the Planet
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Bruce's Big Storm
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • Hair Love
  • White Bird
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Stormy: A Story About Finding a Forever Home