Start by marking “Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure (The Worth Saga, #2.75)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure (The Worth Saga, #2.75)

Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure

(The Worth Saga #2.75)

Mrs. Bertrice Martin—a widow, some seventy-three years young—has kept her youthful-ish appearance with the most powerful of home remedies: daily doses of spite, regular baths in man-tears, and refusing to give so much as a single damn about her Terrible Nephew.

Then proper, correct Miss Violetta Beauchamps, a sprightly young thing of nine and sixty, crashes into her life.
Published March 26th 2019 by Courtney Milan

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure

K.J. Charles
A thoroughly enjoyable light-hearted frothy romance which is also a howl of pure screaming rage. We don't get enough of those.

We also don't get enough f/f histrom, and we particularly don't get enough romances with heroines in their sixties and seventies. But here it is: two ladies who are properly old, with bad knees and gnarly knuckles and papery skin, and who are still desirable and desiring and ready to love--and one of them was never beautiful and has a squint, for heaven's sake, and they
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I CONFIRM WHAT I SAID IN MY PREVIEW this was lovely and such a mood!!!

Older sapphic women fall in love while on a quest to make Terrible Men pay for, you know, Everything.

TW: panic attack, misogyny, patriarchy, mention of rape and sexual assault, "more than friends"

____
So this is apparently a historical f/f novella with two older women and the mood is "hell yeah"
Chasia Lloyd
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***ARC received from the author's team***

HECK YEAH, Y'ALL.

WE DID IT. WE SURVIVED IN THIS TRYING WORLD AND WERE REWARDED WITH THE BOOK WE HAVE BEEN HUNGRY FOR - ELDERLY QUEER LADIES FALLING IN LOVE AND GETTING REVENGE ON HORRIBLE MEN.

What? Was it just me? Hah hah, no way.

In a lot of ways it felt like this novella was tailored specifically for me. Milan's AFTER THE WEDDING was easily my favorite book of last year, and I was thirsting after Mrs. Martin immediately after she made her brief, but memo
Stephanie
Well, this is just an utterly adorable and fabulous novella about two elderly Victorian women (both of whom have been through a LOT from the men who've legally controlled their lives so far) teaming up to take down a Brett Kavenaugh-like Terrible Man, succeeding against all odds, and falling in love along the way.

There were so many lines I loved and highlighted along the way, like:

"Discussions never helped anything; they inevitaby ended in people begging Bertrice not to do whatever it was she w
G.
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well.

I'll limit myself to two points:
1) Mrs. Martin's Incomparable Adventure or Mrs. Martin, Lacking Common Sense: An Adventure?, I'm leaning towards the latter;
2) the romance development was lackluster.
Under the Covers Book Blog

I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Here's the thing about this novella. I wanted to like it more than I did.  And I wanted to like it not only because it's Courtney Milan, one of my favorite historical romance authors, but because it brings some much needed diversity to the romance genre.  Not only is this a f/f romance, t both characters are over 65.  However, as much as I will alwa
Book  Minx
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This is a delightfully angry romp about two women who have had ENOUGH, are finding their voice, their power, and each other. It’s probably the angriest romance I’ve ever read and I’m so impressed with the way Milan channeled something so many of us have been feeling into a glorious work that manages to explore themes of class, privilege, bisexuality, #notallmen, pervasive misogyny, and the cisheteropatriarchy.

Throughout the story, societal assumptions that men are better, smarter, or somehow wor
Iona Sharma
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Sweet, satisfying romance about two older Victorian ladies and the hilarious revenge they wreak on a Terrible Nephew.
Freya Marske
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two elderly queer ladies fall in love, make cheese toast, and do their very best to - literally - burn down the patriarchy. I read the entire thing with the world's most enormous grin on my face.
Li Sian
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this, but I... did not. Milan's heroines do not sound like women living in England in the nineteenth century, they sound like an American novelist trying - and doing a bad job of - to sound like women living in England in the nineteenth century. Is it voice, or is it exposition? Milan's not very good at distinguishing between the two. I was also... not invested in either the plot or the relationship between the two main characters. We get it, men are terrible. As a co-signer of ...more
Nathan Burgoine
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt
Magic.
Malin
This was absolutely lovely, and I didn't even realise that I needed a deeply feminist romance of two aging lesbians in my life, learning not to give a f*ck and fighting back against the patriarcy. Once again Courtney Milan effortlessly manages to diversify romance. While the heroines were both white, I can't actually ever remember reading about women around my mother's age in a romance, certainly not as empowered protagonists. Full review to come.
Jenica
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As you may know, Courtney Milan is one my absolute favorite authors and I think she's also an amazing person. I am so lucky to be on her ARC team, but also she's an auto-buy author for me so this one has been preordered since it was announced. Anyway, I'm telling you all of that up front so you know I got the book for free, but then I also paid for a copy. You know. The important thing is that this review was not paid for and is all honest, but I think the FCC cares or something about how I got ...more
Katherine Fabian
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Utterly delightful f/f romance novella about two older queer women who give each other the gift of being seen clearly. Together they go on a caper to bring down The Terrible Nephew, merrily raising two fingers to the patriarchy as they do so. Sweet, funny, absorbing and heartfelt -- exactly what I wanted to read.
Cheryl
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was quite an unusual story involving two elderly women, one rich,Mrs Bertrice Martin and one poor, Miss Violetta Beauchamps. They worked together to bring some sort of justice to Bertrice’s nephew, Robert Cappish, known as ‘Terrible Nephew ‘. It was amusing to read all the ways they tried to achieve this and the final solution was very clever. I liked the way the women developed their own relationship. This story highlighted the way women were treated in a male dominated world and how women ...more
Verity W
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: advance-copies
A novella about two older women fighting back against a Horrid Nephew and falling in love? What's not to like. This is tremendous fun - I loved the stunts they pulled on the nephew and the class clash romance. And the reminder that life for older single women in the era was really quite precarious was a good one - as well as adding a level of peril to the situation.

I received an ARC for this novella as part of Courtney Milan's Advance readers group.
Aarya Marsden
“You really shouldn’t blame men for everything.”

“No, just the ninety-eight percent of society’s ills they’re responsible for.”

I don't think I've ever read a story where I was sobbing with laughter in one second and then weeping in rage the next second. I usually read fiction to escape the terrible world around me. Sometimes I feel numb from all the news headlines; if I let myself feel too much rage at the world, my mental health starts to take an emotional toll. And there's so much to feel rage
Maja
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this today, at which point I thought "hurray! I'm so excited! Hopefully I'll finish this in time to post a review before it comes out!" ... and then I ended up reading the whole thing in two hours. WHOOPS.

Anyway, any superlative I could possibly throw at y'all about Courtney Milan at this point would sound like extreme overkill, though that certainly doesn't mean she doesn't deserve it. She is so, so good at tackling angles of historicals that would never
Amelia
Courtney Milan's latest novella breaks the historical romance mold with heroines who are older, unpretty by conventional beauty standards, and falling for each other. Wealthy widow Bertrice and 'surplus woman' Violetta are frothing with anger at decades of being treated badly by men and out for revenge against the patriarchy, in particular against Bertrice's villainous Terrible Nephew. They team up for some spectacular trolling and scheming in order to seek justice, and along the way go from bei ...more
Shannon
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical-rom
This novella was so much fun!

Violetta was let go from her job just before she could draw a pension. As a last resort, she decides to scam Mrs. Martin, the elderly aunt of one of the worst tenants from the building she managed, out of some of her fortune. Upon meeting Mrs. Martin, Violetta realizes that the woman despises her nephew, whom she calls The Terrible Nephew.
Mrs. Martin is not a fan of men. She believes they are terrible and her nephew one of the worst of all. When Violetta shows up wan
Res
Apr 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
The one where the very wealthy widow Mrs. Martin and the rooming house manager Miss Beauchamps are brought together by their shared hatred of Mrs. Martin's Terrible Nephew.

The characters are cute; the heart, as always, is in the right place; but the hijinks are forced (view spoiler)
Margaret
A really lovely historical romance between two older women: charming and heartfelt.
Mary
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This love story of Violetta and Bertrice is best summed up by a line from the Author's note (crazy, right? The whole story is underlineable!) "Happiness is not just an act of optimism- it is an act of defiance."
Nicole
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

It's a Courtney Milan novel about wonderfully vengeful older lesbians. It's fantastic and perfect and if the mere idea of this novel didn't delight you enough to get it already, you should know there is also:
- waterfowl
- cheesy toast
- chocolate
- a very deserved bit of arson
- some very satisfying revenge

It's the novella for when you want to burn it all down, and dance on the ashes of the pride of stupid men. It's kinda perfect.
Alicia
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ordered this on the basis of a) Courtney Milan and b) a reference to it being an f/f romance featuring older women. I didn't read the rest of the blurb and frankly the covered had totally deceived me into thinking that this was going to be a contemporary political romance.

It's not. It's historical and absolutely wonderful.
Lauren loves llamas
Courtney Milan is one of my insta-buy authors, so when I heard she was writing a new novella that featured two elderly women who take on the patriarchy and fall in love… well, you can imagine my reaction! Though this is part of a series, reading the other books isn’t necessary to enjoy this.

“Two wrongs didn’t make a right, but occasionally they did make an escape.”

Violetta has spent forty-seven years managing a series of boarding houses, only to be let go a year short of her promised pension due
Kaethe Douglas
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Milan manages to write a charming romance about two women of a certain age, and also manages to give a hot take on the horribleness of sanctimonious rapists such as Brett Kavanaugh and the other men who protect his privilege at the expense of truth, justice, fairness, and women.

On a somewhat related note, it does Biden no good at all with me to say he's finally woke now that two execrable assholes have gotten the astounding privilege of a lifetime appointment to abuse women from the bench of the
Suz Jay
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“It was amazing how years of mere existence had taught Violetta to hate herself, as if simply existing in the impossible sea of society’s expectation put hateful scales over her eyes and made her believe that her own body was unworthy of love.”

Bertrice and Violetta have given up on finding love in the sunset of their lives. Bertrice is heartbroken over the loss of the friends and lovers who have preceded her into the great beyond. Her only family is her Terrible Nephew, who wishes his aunt dead
Angela
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Oh my goodness! You ever have books you're afraid start because of anticipation? Such was the case here and I ended up finishing in less than 24 hours. As always my biggest complaint for Milan novellas is that it wasn't longer. I could read Bertrice and Violetta scheming against terrible men all day. There were a few passages lamenting the "unseen" factor of aging women that hit me hard even in my 30s and getting those first silvers. This was particularly the sort of book that made me feel reall ...more
F/F Regency with Older Women!! 1 1 Mar 29, 2019 09:56AM
Courtney Milan’s books have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist. She is a New York Times and a USA Today Bestseller and a RITA® winner.

Courtney lives in the Rocky Mountains with her husband, an exceptionally perfect dog, and an attack cat.

Before she started writing historical romance, Courtney got a graduate degree in theoretical physical chemistry from UC Berkeley. After th

The Worth Saga (7 books)
  • Once Upon a Marquess (The Worth Saga #1)
  • After the Wedding (The Worth Saga #2)
  • The Devil Comes Courting (The Worth Saga #3)
  • The Return of the Scoundrel (The Worth Saga, #4)
  • The Kissing Hour (The Worth Saga, #5)
  • A Tale of Two Viscounts (The Worth Saga, #6)
  • The Once and Future Earl (The Worth Saga, #7)
“Here was life, gently reminding her that she could care again. That her grief was allowed, but so was her joy.” 0 likes
“Lots of people live on farms,” Violetta added. “Many of them don’t die, I’ve heard.” 0 likes