Start by marking “The Ones We're Meant to Find” as Want to Read:
The Ones We're Meant to Find

The Ones We're Meant to Find

One of the most twisty, surprising, engaging page-turner YAs you’ll read this year—We Were Liars with sci-fi scope, Lost with a satisfying resolution.

Cee awoke on an abandoned island three years ago. With no idea of how she was marooned, she only has a rickety house, an old android, and a single memory: she has a sister, and Cee needs to find her.

STEM prodigy Kasey wants e
Expected publication: May 4th 2021 by Roaring Brook

To ask other readers questions about The Ones We're Meant to Find, please sign up.
Joan He There is violence and sex on the page, but nothing explicit or extremely graphic. Hope this helps!
Joan He Hi, thank you for the question! The marking was a mistake--the book was always a standalone, and the book 2 is unrelated :)

Start your review of The Ones We're Meant to Find
chai ♡
self-care? do you perhaps mean adding books with gorgeous covers to your TBR list?
daph pink ♡
Oct 25, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021-tbr
I am judging it by its cover !!!
may ➹
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
this cover is very pretty in an objective way and..... the girls are very pretty in a gay way ...more
Joan He
Feb 23, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
1/8/21 The book is now available to request on Edelweiss (with NetGalley to come)! Thank you in advance to everyone taking the time to read and review <3

Content warnings are here: (view spoiler). Please note that the list may not be exhaustive, and will be updated as necessary.

9/17/20 and the cover is live!!! mee
Vicky Again
Feb 21, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i want the art from this cover to be printed as a sticker so i can slap it obnoxiously everywhere

(Joan said it was a 9/10 on the sob scale. Descendant of the Crane was a 5/10 according to her. I was already sobbing during DOTC. I am not prepared.)
Jamie Pacton
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Joan and I'm always excited to read one of her books. But this one? Oh my god, it blew me away.

SERIOUSLY.

Joan sent me this book before it went on sub; I read it in a few hours; and, not a day has passed since that I don't think about it.

Let me say that again: Every. Single. Day. For. Months. I've been thinking of these sisters, turning their story over and over in my mind, and marveling at the sheer imagination it to took to envision the story + the alchemy Joan managed in getting it on
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Jun 06, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
"I will happily devour anything this author writes," I say as the author chases me away from her grocery lists. ...more
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
what's embarrassing is realising you haven't marked a book by one of your favourite authors as 'to-read' eons before the cover reveal, but here we are ...more
Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
comparing a book to We Were Liars aka one of my faves of all time, adding sci fi, and then serving with that cover... how dare you....

....*adds to tbr*
rose ★
babe, that cover!!!
Tana &#x1f33b; Cozyreadings
17/12/2020

EXCUSE ME HAVE YOU SEEN THIS STUNNING COVER???
Mic
this is a horror novel.

(2021)

------

(2019)

This fierce, dark, twisted book full of lovable characters will beguile you from start to finish.

If you love:
-determined girls
-broken boys
-sexytimes (sorry not sorry joan)
-THE OCEAN
-cute sidekicks
-philosophy
-feelings
-messy people being glorious hot messes
-twistsssss
-the ocean, once more, for good measure, because water is the best

then get your butts ready cause THE ONES WE'RE MEANT TO FIND has it all and it is A++++ phenomenal.
Sam
Shelves: 2021
All the other covers of 2021 can pack it up and go home.
solanne
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
this is one of the most breathtaking covers I've ever seen ...more
Lauren James
[Gifted]
In a climate-ravaged future, the love between two sisters is the only hope for humanity's future. This is sci-fi at its best: robots, kindness and desert islands!
rain
Feb 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021-releases
AT THIS POINT I WILL READ ANYTHING JOAN HE WRITES.

We Were Liars + Black Mirror??? I'M ALL FOR THIS BOOK THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Kat
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very lucky to read an early version of this book. Friends, HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS

Without any spoilers, because (duh) the book doesn't come out for a while, you gotta know that you will not be able to put it down. You have been warned! You will have this book glued to your hand and your eyes glued to the page even when you are supposed to be sleeping because you will not be able to stop reading. The twists and turns and surprises had me guessing up until the last page.

Preorder this amazing pi
Christian
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released-2021
The blessing my eyeballs just received looking at this cover.......
Lauren
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
i am in love w a cover yes it is possible no i will not be taking any questions at this moment
alysa
Sep 27, 2020 marked it as to-read
girls hot
Leigh Mar
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been obsessed with this book since concept. Honestly, I was so into the concept when Joan described it to me that when she finished the book and sent me the MS as one of her critique partners, I was almost afraid to read it. The idea was perfection.... what if the book itself wasn't what I'd hyped up in my mind?

I had no reason to fear. Literally none.

This book so exceeded all my expectations (WHICH WERE SKY HIGH!) with it's brilliant characters, compelling plot, incredible world buildin
sol
Nov 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
this cover called me gay in 168 languages
Sara
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
this cover is prettier than me in every way possible, and i'm 100% okay with it. ...more
Heather
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As deep and dark as the ocean, this story will sea-sweep you along with its prose and drag you—breathlessly—toward every perfectly executed twist! <3
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
*hyperventilating* My soul has left my body after the cover reveal.

This cover is simply stunning and I can't WAIT to be able to read Joan's second book! I adored The Descendant of the Crane and will read everything Joan writes.
Blog | Twitter | Pinterest
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
this had me at black mirror
Chloë
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
This cover.......I am gay.
Sapphic Shelves
Sep 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
you say black mirror and I say I need to read it ASAP

also that cover?!

description

sassyspines
Jul 31, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I will read anything and everything Joan He writes! This looks amazing!

Update: That cover is gorgeous!
Ele
Feb 02, 2020 marked it as to-read-ya
Descendant of the Crane was the best book released last year and nothing will convince me otherwise. Joan He puts so much love into her writing. ...more

• These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • The Only Good Indians
  • The Forest of Stolen Girls
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Guide to Hogwarts
  • Hour of the Witch
  • The Prophets
  • Made in Korea
  • The Baddest Girl on the Planet
  • The Elven (The Saga of the Elven, #1)
  • Nala's World: One Man, His Rescue Cat, and a Bike Ride around the Globe
  • Spellhacker
  • The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly
  • Bridge to Terabithia
  • Franny and Zooey
  • The Kingdoms
  • The Traitor Queen (The Bridge Kingdom, #2)
  • Her Final Words
Joan was born and raised in Philadelphia but still will, on occasion, lose her way. At a young age, she received classical instruction in oil painting before discovering that stories were her favorite kind of art. She studied psychology and Chinese history at the University of Pennsylvania and currently writes from a desk overlooking the city
waterfront. Descendant of the Crane is her young adult d

Articles featuring this book

Gothic romance, dueling family restaurants, West African magic, and much, much more! It sure looks like 2021 is shaping up to be a year of...