Start by marking “Not the Girl You Marry” as Want to Read:

Not the Girl You Marry

How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days gets a millennial makeover in this romantic comedy by USA Today bestselling author Andie J. Christopher.

Jack Nolan is a gentleman, a journalist, and unlucky in love. His viral success has pigeon-holed him as the how-to guy for a buzzy, internet media company instead of covering hard-hitting politics. Fed up with his fluffy articles and the app-
Expected publication: November 12th 2019 by Berkley

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Nov 12, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 100 advance reading copies of NOT THE GIRL YOU MARRY by Andie J. Christopher!

Praise for NOT THE GIRL YOU MARRY:

“I love

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 1999 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 01 - Jul 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Not the Girl You Marry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not the Girl You Marry

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
    Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

There was part of me that was really having an internal struggle about rating this so high because it was clearly a remake of . . . . .

But then I thought – how many freaking P&P retellings have I read (answer infinity) and it never seemed to bother me with any of those that they were based on another story so this one is getting nearly all the Starzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz because it was exactly what I wanted it to be.

As I
    Sana
    Feb 21, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
    Fake relationship trope written by a POC author, yessss and like, the whole paragraph below is goals:

Christoper tells EW she was inspired to write the novel after rewatching the 2003 rom-com and thinking about the film in light of shifting gender dynamics and dating practices. "I decided to gender-reverse it because a lot of the things guys do are things that put women off now, and there’s been a slight shift in millennial dating," she says. "Women aren’t doing that as much. They’re not thinking
    Cindi
    Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    With its great cast of characters and laugh out loud moments, this book had me grinning from page one.
    Anna Banana
    Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: poc-heroines

I knew from the moment I first heard about this book that it would be a winner and I'm so glad that my instincts were right!

This book gave me everything I ever needed from a romantic comedy and the fact that it has a biracial heroine (finally a heroine I can truly relate to) was honestly icing on the cake. So many of the things that Hannah, our heroine, talked about were things that I had felt so much growing up and even now and having her talk about those things was honestly so validat
    nick
    Feb 22, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: most-anticipated

The book sounds amazing and everything, but I'm not ashamed to admit I'm reading it for the FRENCHIE!!!! Look at that legend stealing the show on the cover!!!
    Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
    ❤Yay ❤

description

shre ♡
    Jul 09, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc
    scored an ARC woo woo.

lets-fake-date-and-no-loving-i-dont-need-love-and-i-oop-i-ended-up-falling-in-love-im-sorry-angstangstangst-oh-you-love-me-too-yay-happy-ending trope...here i come.
    b.andherbooks
    Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: contemporary, romance
    This book is AMAZING. I loved every minute of reading Hannah and Jack's story.

NOT THE GIRL YOU MARRY is a perfect contemporary romance. It will make you laugh and swoon and maybe even get a little weepy.

Hannah is a heroine for the ages, prickly, real, and worth fighting for. If only we could all have a Hannah in our corner.
    Chermaine
    May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is definitely not your typical fairy tale or happy ending but it's definitely the type of Love Story you want for yourself or for somebody that you love. Nothing worked at First like it was supposed to but everything fell into place at just the right time and just the way it was wanted and needed. I definitely recommend reading this if you love love stories and you're an optimist and if sometimes the prince admits that he's not such Prince all the time.
    Crystal
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019, 2019-romance
    This book had me at carnitas. And then there was hockey. And one of the most swoon-worthy heroes EVER. Add in a heroine who is real and raw and just perfectly imperfect, and you've got a book that is absolute PERFECTION. I had been dying to get my hands on this book, and it far exceeded any expectations I could've had!
    Kelsey Hudson
    May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    Andie Christopher’s debut Not the Girl You Marry puts a genderswapped spin on the idea from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days with a biracial heroine and a hero who I definitely imagined as Chris Evans the whole time. Hannah is a successful event planner living in Chicago, and life is pretty good, except for her love life. She’s used to guys disappointing her, and as a result, she is a bit prickly and unromantic, and that prevents her boss from promoting her to a wedding planner position. Jack is the ...more
    Deanna Bailey
    Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I received an Advance Readers Copy of this title via Net Galley

I'm all for romances right now, especially when diverse characters are featured. This was such a cute re-make of How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, I loved and enjoyed the tension and the games between Hannah and Jack. Please publishers continue publishing these stories from characters of different backgrounds because we need them and I devour these books up!!
    Michelle
    Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: romance
    This is a solid gold standard for what I want in a rom com read. A gender-swapped retelling of How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days, I couldn't have enjoyed it more. The guy was swoonworthy and decent (every time he got to head scratching over the behavior of his stupider male friends towards women, I loved him even more), but not too nice to hold his own in terms of banter and sheer masculinity. Bonus points for his female-first behavior in the bedchamber.

I like how they both had their own career goal
    Karen Hayes
    Slow start, but charming characters and a fun throwback to the movie 'How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days' - great romance for the millennial bracket - 35 and under :)
    Adriana Anders
    Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What an emotional roller coaster this book was! So honest, so full of feels and sexytimes. I couldn't glom it fast enough.
    May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalleyarc
    This book was fun, fun, fun! I was rooting for Jack and Hannah so hard, even though they each had ulterior motives for getting together. I loved them as a couple and I am so pleased with this book. I'm definitely hoping that there is a sequel with Sasha or Bridget.
    Sandra
    Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I enjoyed reading Not the Girl You Marry, a gender switch retelling of the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, so much! Hannah and Jack are great characters, both separately and as a couple. I loved how the author balanced their professional ambitions against their desire for love, making both characters relatable. Even when I wanted to strangle both of them, I could understand why they were making the terrible decisions that drove the plot.

I feel like I could gush about this book for days. The
    Monique
    I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. Not the Girl You Marry was a cute and fun read but it did drag on a little for me. As a black woman, it was a bit difficult for me to identify with Hannah Mayfield's biracial character. I get that she had a black father and a white mother but her black side was perceived as negative to me. She dated a black man but the wrong one and he decimated her self esteem. Hannah constantly replayed continuously through ...more
    Brei
    Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Today I want to talk to you about Not The Girl You Marry. I am still trying to process how I feel about this book. I liked it but I have some feelings about it that are pulling me away from loving it.

Normally I can run through a romance in a day or two but this one has taken me a week. Maybe it’s because I feel like I’ve read it before. I got Major How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days vibes. Maybe the book was just too close to the movie and the movie is one of my absolute favorite things to watch. It e
    Theresa
    Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I read the Author's Note at the beginning of this book and it really set me up for this story, which I loved!

I love when a romance has substance and this one did. Hannah is biracial and deals with the idea of fitting in and where she fits in. I got a much better understanding of the experiences of people in different ethnic groups.

Jack is a journalist and he wants to do something different, so he convinces his boss to let him write a piece on How to Lose a Girl. Hannah needs a guy to show her b
    Allison
    Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Initially, this book pissed me off. I knew what she was trying to do; a retelling of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, with a lady. I was put off by the drama in the main characters internal dialog, I felt like it dragged. However, once I realized that my internal monologue is much the same, I was able to get over their drama. I focused on the sweetness of the story and the humor and bam I was in love. I love how tough she is, how she wore moccasins to a bar, and even how she stopped him from manspl ...more
    So good, and satisfying. 4.5 stars.
    Kim Ammons (youthbookreview)
    DNF'd at 26%. I'd probably enjoy this as a movie (like How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days, the movie it's a twist on), but I didn't have the patience to finish. I need more of a slow burn romance.
    Ashtin
    Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I wanted to love this book, really. I wanted to adore it as much as I adore How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. I ended up really liking the main characters, but was really disappointed with the author's lack of creativity. I would have loved to see Jack and Hannah get a story of their own instead of a rehashed one. The read was just too predictable for me, which made it lose that can't-put-down, page-turner effect.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my review.
    Sami
    May 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Rom com fans won't be able to resist this genderbent take on How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, with a chic and brassy protagonist and a hunky male lead with a soft side.
    Cassie