Start by marking “Not the Girl You Marry” as Want to Read:
Not the Girl You Marry

Not the Girl You Marry

3.20  ·  Rating details ·  4,993 ratings  ·  1,007 reviews
How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days gets a millennial makeover in this romantic comedy by USA Today bestselling author Andie J. Christopher.

Jack Nolan is a gentleman, a journalist, and unlucky in love. His viral success has pigeon-holed him as the how-to guy for a buzzy, internet media company instead of covering hard-hitting politics. Fed up with his fluffy articles and the app-
Published November 12th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Not the Girl You Marry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not the Girl You Marry

·  4,993 ratings  ·  1,007 reviews

Start your review of Not the Girl You Marry
Gabby
DNF @ 150 pages
I wanted to DNF this after the first chapter, that’s how bad it was. And I am so SAD, because this was one of my most anticipated romances of the year because I LOVE How To Lose a Guy In 10 Days. But this book is just bad and the only thing about this story that I liked is that Hannah is biracial, I appreciate that representation and I think books need more of it, but that’s about it. Here are my non-spoilery thoughts I had while reading this book:

-The writing is terrible, it read
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Blehhhh. I gave this one another chance after DNFing the ARC, but my opinion didn't really change and I almost wish I hadn't bothered. This did get better after the point that I DNF'd, but I definitely didn't like it enough for it to have felt worth it. This has been such a disappointing romance month for me. Womp.
Berit☀️✨
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-physical, 2019
Andie J. Christopher has written a fun retelling of one of my all-time favorite movies How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. The book put a bit of a twist on it, this time it is the guy that is trying to lose the girl and it is the girl trying to prove that she can be in a relationship. This was just a Playful light hearted story Full of sass, Snark, steam, and four letter words. Jack and Hannah meet one night at a bar, there is instant chemistry, but neither of them are looking for a relationship. The ...more
Warda
Well then. I’m never trusting ratings or reviews ever again since I loved this and I was initially hesitant to read this because of superficial reasons. Which I’ve already kicked myself for.

Now I know to go back to the days before Goodreads and social media and I was only interested in reading the blurb of a book and that alone would’ve been my deciding factor. Plus the cover. Plus the title and first few chapters. And recommendations from librarians.

This was just so enjoyable. How to Lose a G
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

There was part of me that was really having an internal struggle about rating this so high because it was clearly a remake of . . . . .

But then I thought – how many freaking P&P retellings have I read (answer infinity) and it never seemed to bother me with any of those that they were based on another story so this one is getting nearly all the Starzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz because it was exactly what I wanted it to be.

As I s
preoccupiedbybooks
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, dnf
DNF at 37% (chapter 11)

I wasn't enjoying this as it was repetitive, childish and mean. I haven't seen the film how to lose a guy in 10 days for many years, and don't know how I would rate it now, but I liked it then... This book is way too close to that film, but gender swapped. I do remember the film being very lighthearted, but this just felt wrong. To make a connection with someone, know they've been hurt in the past and have their barriers up, but then progress with dating them and romancing
Toni
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2019
If you loved How to Lose a Guy in 10 days and decide to pick up this book, two things can happen: you either going to love this hard-edged gender-swapped retelling, or... you are going to quietly put itaside, get comfortable on the sofa and get ready to re-watch Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson spin their magic tale.

As I am a kind of girl who always chooses a book over a movie and did not swoon over the original rom-com, so I was actually quite open to whatever Andie J. Christopher was going
Katrina
I’m probably not going to finish this book. I’m almost 25% in and it’s just chock full of anti-Black micro aggressions. Is this author serious!? She literally couldn’t look the white man in the face as she told him she was half Black. IS THIS THE STATE OF ROMANCE AT BERKELY!? If I have read the book thus far correctly Hannah is “Not the Girl You Marry” because she’s part Black. That’s it. And all she wants is for someone to on the one hand not worry about her race and also realize that she’s “ju ...more
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
A re-imagined How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days for the millennial generation, Andie J Christopher’s novel Not the Girl You Marry was a fun book to read, but one that ultimately altered too much of the central aspect to the original movie to work for me. Still, there’s a lot to enjoy here so let’s dive in!

I think there are lots of readers who will and have loved this book, and there were definitely things I liked about it as well. The movie is one of my favorites, and this book somehow managed to be
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Not the Girl You Marry is a fun rom com reminiscent of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, which I admittedly have not seen since its release. Hannah and Jake start a fake relationship that becomes real, very real. It was fun and engaging, and Hannah and Jake are such a cute couple. Overall, it delivered all I expect in a rom com, and it definitely left me wanting to watch How to Lose a Guy again soon so I can see the similarities between the book and the movie!

I received a complimentary copy from the
Larry H
3.5 stars.

Can love win when both people are both out for their own gain? That's the question Andie J. Christopher tries to answer in her latest rom-com, Not the Girl You Marry .

If you loved the movie How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days (with Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson), this adaptation of the film which flips the genders may be right up your alley.

Hannah is a to-hell-with-love, feisty event planner always up for a good time. She's known for planning wild events, where people are often l
Katie B

I so wanted to like this one, I really did. Unfortunately the premise just didn't work for me. I usually am willing to go with the flow especially when it comes to romances but for whatever reason this one drove me nuts. For the most part I liked the two lead characters, but I just wish their journey to love could have been different.

Jack Nolan is no stranger to relationships and this is one of those rare times in his life he is actually single. He meets event planner Hannah Mayfield at
Sana
'But the rules, even when she'd tried to follow them, had never seemed to fit right. They were a little tight in the crotch, to be quite honest.'

Not the Girl You Marry has gotten so many poor reviews and DNFs that I became sure I wouldn't enjoy it either, but I was too curious to pass up on not reading it. It just be like that sometimes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I read it and it was...okay? I mean, it's definitely a mess and not the good kind because the love interest keeps doing terrible things and the hero
Hollis
Before starting this book, I did the thing you should never do : I looked at the GR rating. Which, as of originally writing this review, is sitting at 3.60. Which sounds bad but we need to remember this is out of five. It's not terrible. But it was surprising considering, at the time, this was still a month out from publication.

And so I dove in, waiting, wondering, for it to go sideways. And yet it never really did?

Despite seeing the rating, I forgot to revisit the blurb (#TeamNoBlurbs) and was
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
I so desperately wanted to like this fake-dating romance starring a headstrong, vulnerable, lovely protagonist whom I loved, but it really let me down with its convoluted plot line filled with mutual lying to the other’s face and ridiculous demands from bosses who wanted Jack and Hannah to date people in order to further their career, which– I know I should suspend my disbelief with romance novels– I just could not get on board with the plot line because it was so unrealistic.

Because of that out
Rachel Reads Ravenously
DNF about halfway.

To be honest, I felt this book was boring and poorly written. Life is too short to keep reading something you're not enjoying.
Cam (justabookeater)
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(e-arc provided by netgalley and publisher in exchange for an honest review!!)

I'm gonna start this review by saying I've been looking forward to reading this book since it was first announced. Not the Girl You Marry captures modern dating in such a raw, realistic light that I couldn't help highlighting multiple passages and pausing my read-through to either yell or sigh.

If you love genuinely funny and relatable rom-coms with a sexy ass all hell hero and a kickass heroine, this is your catnip.

D
TheBibliotheque ♡
My favourite romcom movie (or better said one of my top 5) is How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Not only I have rewatched it a million times but I could do it a million times more. That movie is is the star of Matthew and the 2000’s golden era of romantic comedies.

Not the Girl you Marry is a makeover of this beloved, fun and cheesy in the best parts movie, and perhaps the reason exactly behind my disappointment.

While the premise is still the same as the movie and the gender swap - which includes a m
myo 🍒 (myonna reads)
i really enjoyed this book, i relate to the main character hannah a lot, not being able to stay in a relationship and people not viewing her as “classy”. i’m so vulgar and seeing a character like that but also the fact that she’s black makes me, a black reader, so happy.

i love how to lose a girl in 10 days and i think this gender switches version does it such good justice! in the book jack always calls hannah “dutches” and at first it was weird because he had no real reason behind it but i actu
Cindi
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With its great cast of characters and laugh out loud moments, this book had me grinning from page one.
Lauren (The Novel Lush)
My absolute favorite thing about this book is the narration. Andie J. Christopher's writing style is snarky, quirky and hilarious and it speaks to my SOUL!

More to come closer to release date
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
This was an okay read but in all honesty, I had a tough time getting into the story (and then staying interested in it).

I think my main issue was that I found both characters to be frustrating. I understand that not all characters should be 'likeable' but I found myself liking neither of them due to behaviours. If you aren't liking either of the main characters, what's the draw keeping you interested in the story and the outcome?

One thing that I did like was the similarity of this plot to the m
Sheyla ✎

Not the Girl You Marry is supposed to be a re-telling of the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. So, of course, I wanted to read it. Sadly, I don't think it met my expectations. There were parts I really liked and others were I thought: what was the author thinking!

Not the Girl You Marry's two main characters are Hannah Mayfield and Jack Nolan.

Hannah Mayfield is successful in her work but not in her love life. She has been hurt before. She has fallen in love before to later realized she's th
Zoe Stewart (Zoe's All Booked)
Just realized I never wrote a review for this. WHOOPS.

This was one of my favourite books of 2019. It was the first time in any book I had ever felt so represented. It took over 26 years to find that rep, which is sad, but it echoed my thoughts exactly. All of Hannah's struggles to find her place as a biracial woman are exactly what I've struggled with. I lowkey felt like I had been stalked, that's how spot-on everything was. I loved the romance too, it was exactly what I needed when I read it.
shre ♡
Jul 09, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
scored an ARC woo woo.

lets-fake-date-and-no-loving-i-dont-need-love-and-i-oop-i-ended-up-falling-in-love-im-sorry-angstangstangst-oh-you-love-me-too-yay-happy-ending trope...here i come.
Darinda
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss, romance
A retelling of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, but with the guy trying to lose the girl. Jack comes across as the perfect guy who knows how to treat women. Hannah has sworn off men after getting her heart broken. Jack is a journalist and makes how-to videos for an internet media company. His latest assignment is How to Lose a Girl, and he chooses Hannah as the girl.

Told with the alternating points of view of Jack and Hannah. Jack thinks he’s pretty great, and believes himself to be the perfect boy
Carole V Bell
My initial feeling was that I might too close to this one—I have a long-standing academic interest in and opinions about how interracial relationships are portrayed in fiction and why it matters. And why so many of these depictions are incredibly problematic. That’s why I’ve stewed about this for months without comment. But that feels too much like cowardice. So here’s a quick rundown of what I thought and felt in reading this book.

From my perspective, the story skimmed the surface of the chall
Anna Banana
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poc-heroines

I knew from the moment I first heard about this book that it would be a winner and I'm so glad that my instincts were right!

This book gave me everything I ever needed from a romantic comedy and the fact that it has a biracial heroine (finally a heroine I can truly relate to) was honestly icing on the cake. So many of the things that Hannah, our heroine, talked about were things that I had felt so much growing up and even now and having her talk about those things was honestly so validat
Kate Meader
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored the leads in this, but especially Hannah. Andie J. Christopher has fashioned the heroine we all want to be--stiletto-sharp and emotionally vulnerable, who knows she deserves the best in life and love, and isn't afraid to demand it. Not the Girl You Marry is a bold, sexy romance.
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
I’ve never watched How to Lose A Guy in Ten Days and I can’t say whether that helped or hurt me. I did like this one overall, but not as much as I was hoping to. I struggled to feel a connection with the characters and sometimes the story felt repetitive and slow, particularly the parts where the MCs would keep rehashing their past hang ups over and over. But Jack and Hannah were cute together and I appreciated the discussions surrounding Hannah’s biracial background.

• The Worst Best Man
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • Faker
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
  • Blitzed (Playbook, #3)
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • Tools of Engagement (Hot & Hammered, #3)
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters, #2)
  • If I Never Met You