Start by marking “Not the Girl You Marry” as Want to Read:
Not the Girl You Marry

Not the Girl You Marry

How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days gets a millennial makeover in this romantic comedy by USA Today bestselling author Andie J. Christopher.

Jack Nolan is a gentleman, a journalist, and unlucky in love. His viral success has pigeon-holed him as the how-to guy for a buzzy, internet media company instead of covering hard-hitting politics. Fed up with his fluffy articles and the
Published November 12th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Not the Girl You Marry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not the Girl You Marry

Start your review of Not the Girl You Marry
Gabby
DNF @ 150 pages
I wanted to DNF this after the first chapter, that’s how bad it was. And I am so SAD, because this was one of my most anticipated romances of the year because I LOVE How To Lose a Guy In 10 Days. But this book is just bad and the only thing about this story that I liked is that Hannah is biracial, I appreciate that representation and I think books need more of it, but that’s about it. Here are my non-spoilery thoughts I had while reading this book:

-The writing is terrible, it
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Blehhhh. I gave this one another chance after DNFing the ARC, but my opinion didn't really change and I almost wish I hadn't bothered. This did get better after the point that I DNF'd, but I definitely didn't like it enough for it to have felt worth it. This has been such a disappointing romance month for me. Womp.
Berit☀️✨
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc-physical
Andie J. Christopher has written a fun retelling of one of my all-time favorite movies How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. The book put a bit of a twist on it, this time it is the guy that is trying to lose the girl and it is the girl trying to prove that she can be in a relationship. This was just a Playful light hearted story Full of sass, Snark, steam, and four letter words. Jack and Hannah meet one night at a bar, there is instant chemistry, but neither of them are looking for a relationship. The ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

There was part of me that was really having an internal struggle about rating this so high because it was clearly a remake of . . . . .

But then I thought – how many freaking P&P retellings have I read (answer infinity) and it never seemed to bother me with any of those that they were based on another story so this one is getting nearly all the Starzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz because it was exactly what I wanted it to be.

As I
Toni
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, romance
If you loved How to Lose a Guy in 10 days and decide to pick up this book, two things can happen: you either going to love this hard-edged gender-swapped retelling, or... you are going to quietly put itaside, get comfortable on the sofa and get ready to re-watch Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson spin their magic tale.

As I am a kind of girl who always chooses a book over a movie and did not swoon over the original rom-com, so I was actually quite open to whatever Andie J. Christopher was going
preoccupiedbybooks
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, dnf
DNF at 37% (chapter 11)

I wasn't enjoying this as it was repetitive, childish and mean. I haven't seen the film how to lose a guy in 10 days for many years, and don't know how I would rate it now, but I liked it then... This book is way too close to that film, but gender swapped. I do remember the film being very lighthearted, but this just felt wrong. To make a connection with someone, know they've been hurt in the past and have their barriers up, but then progress with dating them and romancing
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not the Girl You Marry is a fun rom com reminiscent of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, which I admittedly have not seen since its release. Hannah and Jake start a fake relationship that becomes real, very real. It was fun and engaging, and Hannah and Jake are such a cute couple. Overall, it delivered all I expect in a rom com, and it definitely left me wanting to watch How to Lose a Guy again soon so I can see the similarities between the book and the movie!

I received a complimentary copy from the
Sana
Feb 21, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
Fake relationship trope written by a POC author, yessss and like, the whole paragraph below is goals:

Christoper tells EW she was inspired to write the novel after rewatching the 2003 rom-com and thinking about the film in light of shifting gender dynamics and dating practices. "I decided to gender-reverse it because a lot of the things guys do are things that put women off now, and there’s been a slight shift in millennial dating," she says. "Women aren’t doing that as much. They’re not thinking
Hollis
Before starting this book, I did the thing you should never do : I looked at the GR rating. Which, as of originally writing this review, is sitting at 3.60. Which sounds bad but we need to remember this is out of five. It's not terrible. But it was surprising considering, at the time, this was still a month out from publication.

And so I dove in, waiting, wondering, for it to go sideways. And yet it never really did?

Despite seeing the rating, I forgot to revisit the blurb (#TeamNoBlurbs) and was
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Written as a re-imagined How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days for the millennial generation, Andie J Christopher’s novel Not the Girl You Marry was a fun book to read, but one that ultimately altered too much of the central aspect to the original move to work for me. Still, there’s a lot to enjoy here so let’s dive in!

I think there are lots of readers who will and already have loved this book, and there were definitely things I liked about it as well. The movie is one of my favorites, and this book
☽ TheBibliotheque
My favourite romcom movie (or better said one of my top 5) is How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Not only I have rewatched it a million times but I could do it a million times more. That movie is is the star of Matthew and the 2000’s golden era of romantic comedies.

Not the Girl you Marry is a makeover of this beloved, fun and cheesy in the best parts movie, and perhaps the reason exactly behind my disappointment.

While the premise is still the same as the movie and the gender swap - which includes a
Katie B

I so wanted to like this one, I really did. Unfortunately the premise just didn't work for me. I usually am willing to go with the flow especially when it comes to romances but for whatever reason this one drove me nuts. For the most part I liked the two lead characters, but I just wish their journey to love could have been different.

Jack Nolan is no stranger to relationships and this is one of those rare times in his life he is actually single. He meets event planner Hannah Mayfield at
Cam (justabookeater)
(e-arc provided by netgalley and publisher in exchange for an honest review!!)

I'm gonna start this review by saying I've been looking forward to reading this book since it was first announced. Not the Girl You Marry captures modern dating in such a raw, realistic light that I couldn't help highlighting multiple passages and pausing my read-through to either yell or sigh.

If you love genuinely funny and relatable rom-coms with a sexy ass all hell hero and a kickass heroine, this is your catnip.

shre ♡
Jul 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
scored an ARC woo woo.

lets-fake-date-and-no-loving-i-dont-need-love-and-i-oop-i-ended-up-falling-in-love-im-sorry-angstangstangst-oh-you-love-me-too-yay-happy-ending trope...here i come.
Lauren (The Novel Lush)
My absolute favorite thing about this book is the narration. Andie J. Christopher's writing style is snarky, quirky and hilarious and it speaks to my SOUL!

More to come closer to release date
Darinda
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, romance
A retelling of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, but with the guy trying to lose the girl. Jack comes across as the perfect guy who knows how to treat women. Hannah has sworn off men after getting her heart broken. Jack is a journalist and makes how-to videos for an internet media company. His latest assignment is How to Lose a Girl, and he chooses Hannah as the girl.

Told with the alternating points of view of Jack and Hannah. Jack thinks he’s pretty great, and believes himself to be the perfect
Anna Banana
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc-heroines

I knew from the moment I first heard about this book that it would be a winner and I'm so glad that my instincts were right!

This book gave me everything I ever needed from a romantic comedy and the fact that it has a biracial heroine (finally a heroine I can truly relate to) was honestly icing on the cake. So many of the things that Hannah, our heroine, talked about were things that I had felt so much growing up and even now and having her talk about those things was honestly so
Amy Imogene Reads
Aug 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
ARC approved!!

Thank you to the publisher via Edelweiss for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
honey (myonna reads)
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed this book, i relate to the main character hannah a lot, not being able to stay in a relationship and people not viewing her as “classy”. i’m so vulgar and seeing a character like that but also the fact that she’s black makes me, a black reader, so happy.

i love how to lose a girl in 10 days and i think this gender switches version does it such good justice! in the book jack always calls hannah “dutches” and at first it was weird because he had no real reason behind it but i
Cindi
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With its great cast of characters and laugh out loud moments, this book had me grinning from page one.
Kate Meader
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored the leads in this, but especially Hannah. Andie J. Christopher has fashioned the heroine we all want to be--stiletto-sharp and emotionally vulnerable, who knows she deserves the best in life and love, and isn't afraid to demand it. Not the Girl You Marry is a bold, sexy romance.
Jasmine
I wouldn’t call this a review because I DNF’d it at 150 pages, so I guess this is more of a why-I-couldn’t-finish-it list.

*Also, since I didn’t finish it, there aren’t really spoilers but if you’re someone who likes to go into a book without knowing anything, then this is the time to turn around!

Ok, so here’s the three reasons why I couldn’t bring myself to finish NOT THE GIRL YOU MARRY:

•Jack: I didn’t mind that he felt sparks between him and Hannah from the moment they met, it was how much
book bruin
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining romcom, but unfortunately it didn’t hook me the way that I had hoped. I liked Hannah and Jack, but I didn’t love them or feel really invested in them until later in the novel. The instalust/love was really strong (especially on Jack’s part) and that just made it even stranger to me that he would choose Hannah for his article. I understand that they both had emotional baggage that was wreaking havoc on their self-esteem and influencing their life choices, but their ...more
Stacee
I absolutely loved the premise of this one and I was excited to settle into the story.

I really liked Hannah and Jack. She’s a little jaded from her past relationships {with good reason} and deep down she’s a crunchy shell hiding a romantic marshmallow. He’s a little too giving and doesn’t know how to keep a bit of focus on himself. Together they have loads of chemistry and a playful sort of banter. Oh and Jack’s family is fantastic.

Plot wise, it was mostly good. The constant inner monologue
Aisling
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Steamy doesn't quite cover it....blistering, maybe does. But also strangely sweet in that these two don't quite believe in themselves enough. There was lots of humor, lots of angst and tension (sexual and otherwise), and a good dose of resolving/growing up. I was impressed with this contemporary romance in that it did more than the usual. There was some genuine reflection, true kindness, and friendship. Bring on the movie deal; this could totally be a box office smash RomCom!
Ari
Sep 19, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
*I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

*DNF @ 50%*

description

You know, this is my own damn fault. Once I saw that this book was a spin on How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days I shouldn't have even started this book considering I did not like that movie. I should've just stuck with my instincts because I didn't vibe with this book at all.

First, this isn't even a fake relationship romance since neither Hannah or Jack are aware that the other is using them to
Steph's Romance Book Talk
4.25 Stars / 3 Steam Fans

This was a fun updated play on the movie How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days. There is a gender role reversal by making Jack the journalist and the added conversation starter by Hannah being a biracial character. I enjoyed these new twists and it felt extremely relatable in the current climate of the world. Hannah struggled with some self-esteem and racial identity issues that many biracial people have to deal with and Andie J. Christopher tackled the topic in a way that did
nick
Feb 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: most-anticipated

The book sounds amazing and everything, but I'm not ashamed to admit I'm reading it for the FRENCHIE!!!! Look at that legend stealing the show on the cover!!!
Wendy ⏃: ✦Cheeky Chicks Blogger✦
3.5 STARS!

Not the Girl You Marry by Andie J. Christopher was a retelling of the classic romantic comedy movie from the 2000s: How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days. Only, Andie puts a unique spin into play as well as reversing the roles of the characters.

We first meet Jack Nolan. He's the kind of man who thrives in relationships. He's been in three so far but now that's he's single he wants to try the casual dating thing. That is until he meets Hannah and feels an instant attraction.

Hannah is a strong,
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received via Netgalley for an honest review

I love the movie How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days, so I was looking forward to this one.

However, Not The Girl You Marry and I were not a good fit. I nearly DNF'd it a few times, but I persisted with it as it had something that made me keep going.

It really was just retelling the movie with different character names. All that was missing was Jack and Hannah singing "You're so Vain" at the end of the book. It needed more originality to really
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Faker
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Would Like to Meet
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Blitzed (Playbook, #3)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • Love Lettering
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Open House (Uptown, #2)
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • Meg and Jo
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)