Start by marking “Mother Knows Best” as Want to Read:

Mother Knows Best

A mother’s worst nightmare, a chance at redemption, and a deadly secret that haunts a family across the generations.

There’s only room for one mother in this family.

Claire Abrams’s dreams became a nightmare when she passed on a genetic mutation that killed her little boy. Now she wants a second chance to be a mother, and finds it in Robert Nash, a maverick fertility doctor
Published September 10th 2019 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Mother Knows Best, please sign up.
Laura Jay Considering the subject matter of Mother Knows Best, I would say the long twirling red braid is representative of a DNA strand (and the red color of t…moreConsidering the subject matter of Mother Knows Best, I would say the long twirling red braid is representative of a DNA strand (and the red color of the braid might be because of Jillian's red hair, and because Abby has red highlights in her hair). (less)

Start your review of Mother Knows Best
Meredith
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Frankenbabies and Crazies!

Mother Knows Best is a psychological thriller about a controversial scientific experiment that involves genetically modifying an embryo to eliminate genetic mutations by creating a three-parent baby.

After burying her 8-year-old son who died of mitochondrial disease, Claire Abrams vows not to have another child. She doesn't want to pass on the disease that killed so many in her family. That is until she hears of Dr. Robert Nash, who is experimenting with the possibi
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an exciting, original psychological thriller! You all know I love a good science fiction, and this book truly felt as such, since the science aspect is so well developed and explored. While the ending does become a tad predictable, I don't feel like it took away from the overall enjoyment of the book, as the main focus is on what a brilliant concept the author has crafted. Highly recommended to those who enjoy reads beyond the scope of reality (or is it *wink wink*), and I am looking forwar ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-m-intrigued
Okay 3.5 I’m really lost somebody help me, did I just read some book about a child may have 3 different genetic parents, a mother is also chased by her deceased son’s ghost in everywhere, well let’s round us up to FOUR GOD, I THINK MY CRACKS ARE GETTING BIGGER ON MY HEAD, I HOPE I LET ONLY SUNSHINE GETS THROUGH THOSE CRACKS STARS!

Let’s talk about our three POVS: Good mother Claire, evil scientist madam Frankenstein Jillian (Don’t forget, this name firstly belonged to the doctor not to the patche
Kaceey
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
What lengths would you go to have a perfectly healthy child? Would you step over the line, outside the law? Give up everything?

All Claire wants is a healthy baby. Having tragically lost one child to a genetic mitochondrial disorder she’s not taking any chances! She is fully prepared to do whatever it takes to see that her child is free of the insidious genetic disorder! Oh Claire, if only you realized...everything comes at a price!

Kira Peikoff writes a captivating and intriguing novel that will
Susanne  Strong
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
3 Stars.

A Three Parent Baby? Does that sound just plain Crazy or is it the Future?

In “Mother Knows Best” I think you’ll find that perhaps it’s both!

When Claire’s first son passes away from Mitochondrial Disease she is devastated, especially as she carried the gene and passed it on to him. Desperate to get pregnant again, she finds a way to get what she wants. Hearing of experimental treatment that has not yet been approved, she approaches the doctor who is working a scientific procedure to crea
Nazanin
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, thriller, netgalley
4 Stars

"Mother Knows Best" is a story about a mother who did everything to have healthy children and did her best to protect them, no matter how they were created! I went in blind and I suggest you do the same. This is not really a mystery, at least it wasn’t for me but it was a really good thriller! I enjoyed it so much! Told in multiple POV, 1st person. It’s a standalone novel; well-written, fast-paced, a page-turner with a satisfying ending, contains short chapters and alternates between Befo
Katie B
I'll go ahead and bump this one up to 3.5 stars but it was a tough decision because I do have mixed feelings about this book. It was a quick read that did hold my interest but it got too outlandish for my taste towards the end. This might sound weird but if the author took away some of the psychological thriller aspects of the story and made this a straight up fiction book exploring ethical issues, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

Claire Abrams's son died due to a genetic mutation. She want
Carolyn
There's nothing I love more than a good medical drama mixed with a psychological thriller and I enjoyed this one very much!

Claire and Ethan Abrams lost their first child Colton at eight years old from a degenerative disease caused by faulty mitochondria, the energy driving components of our cells. They would dearly love to have another child but while Ethan is prepared to take a chance that another child would not be as badly affected, Claire doesn't think she could go through watching another
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

What a ride! This sci-fi thriller combined with family/relationship drama was a really engrossing and fascinating story! I highly recommend checking it out!

Happy reading!

Also, this title reminds me of the song from Tangled and if you say it didn't, you're lying.

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Erin Clemence
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

Claire Abram’s dream turned into a nightmare when her beloved son, Colton, died at a young age due to a genetic DNA abnormality. Although her husband, Ethan, is desperate to try again for another child, Claire is reluctant to pass on the defective gene to another child. When Claire is introduced to cutting edge fertility Dr. Robert Nash and his protégé Jillian Hen
 Li'l Owl
FIVE Thought Provoking and Suspenseful Stars!

The entire fifth-grade class participated in a genetic experiment through the company MapMyDNA. Each person spit into a tube and received a report of their inherited traits, like whether they had detached earlobes or could taste bitter flavors. We felt cornered into letting her participate. It was easier than answering the questions that would follow, but the test came and went without a hitch."

Or did it?

***********
Mother Knows Best by Kira Peikoff
Mary S. R.
What. *screams, tears out hair, bites off fingers, hits head into the wall* How HOW THE HELL did I get accepted for an ARC of this? *walks into the ocean while staring at the horizon and drowns. The end.*

There’s only room for one mother in this family.

Theresa Alan
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel gets a lot of points for originality.

Claire has a genetic disease that she passed on to her son, who died at 8 years old after spending his life ill and in a wheelchair. With the help of a doctor and the mitochondria of a woman who doesn’t have Claire’s disease, she and her husband Ethan have the opportunity to have a healthy child that is still theirs, but with some help from extra DNA, meaning the child will have three parents, which is illegal.

The suspense of Claire and her new h
Monika Sadowski
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy and quick read. Subject very interesting – genetic engineering in humans. Mother will do anything to protect her child and then the child grows up and wants some answers. I enjoyed this fast-past psychological thriller.

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Crumb
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A debut psychological thriller!

This book was amazing! I don't want to reveal too much about the plot because I feel like less is more in this case. I really enjoy books with in depth character development and this novel definitely had interesting characters. There was also an unreliable narrator, which I always love.

I can't emphasize enough how surprised I was by this book! There were many twists, as well. I'm a huge fan of a well-executed twist. Kira Peikoff is an author to watch! I am anxiousl
The Cats’ Mother
Mother Knows Best is a well written medical + domestic thriller set in New York State about the lengths two very different women to achieve their heart’s desire using groundbreaking reproductive technology. It was a quick easy read and I enjoyed it, despite the very predictable plot twists and overly convenient ending. I had not come across this author before but would be open to reading more of her work.

Science journalist Claire has been hiding away in the country for eleven years, terrified o
Dennis
Just because I'm giving Mother Knows Best 3 stars, don't think that I didn't enjoy it. While very predictable, it still was a fun and very fast-paced read! It follows the same mystery/thriller format that readers are used to, which could either work for or against you, depending on the type of book you like to pick up. Within 25% into the story, I knew exactly what was going to happen—and it happened. That being said, Kira Peikoff's writing is awesome and I would 100% pick up another book by ...more
♛ Garima ♛
Rating:
5 stars

Trigger:
Child mortality

Short review:
I wasn't planning to read this at all. But after I got copy from netgalley, I gave cursory glance at opening chapter and I was hooked. 5 hours later, I finished the entire book in single sitting.

Abby is unique child who shares not 2 but 3 parents' DNA. 2 Eggs taken and fused to perfection (from 2 donors - 2 mothers) and 1 sperm (1 father) created perfect embryo, past 8 months that frankenbaby is Abby.
Going back and forth, the book is divided
Linda Strong
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-2019

Her son died from a genetic mutation that was passed on to him from his mother, Claire.

Ten years later, she has a daughter ... free of any genetic mutation. How was this possible? It's a secret ... a secret that could put Claire, her doctor Robert Nash, and his assistant Jill at great risk. They have discovered how to eliminate inherited diseases ... but anything they do is entirely illegal.

When word of their illegal experiment leaks to the wrong person, Robert escapes into hiding with the now-p
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
This psychological/medical thriller is such a surprise for me and this is why. As an avid thriller reader, I realize that a lot of books can seem predictable or suspension of reality will be needed and sometimes I don't care and other times it grates on me. Maybe it depends on mood? Maybe it depends on just how far that shark jumped or if there's absolutely no originality after a certain point. Who really knows?

With Mother Knows Best - Peikoff gives us something pretty original... and while I D
Lisa
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MOTHER KNOWS BEST is a rocket-paced thriller that dives deep into questions about science, family, and how far we’ll go to protect the people we love the most. Peikoff brings her extensive scientific knowledge to the pages of this taut, smart, and compelling novel. Don't miss it!
Ayesha (The Fifth Marauder)
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
4.25 stars!

I was extremely excited to receive this ARC via Netgalley, given the rave reviews I had read earlier, and I'm glad to say; THE HYPE IS WELL DESERVED!

This was a fascinating, well thought out slow burn thriller. I loved the attention to detail the author showed, and how she explained complex phenomena in simple terms.

While I'm proud to say I guessed the major plot twist of the book, it did not tone down my enthusiasm in the least. It was an absolute pleasure to read, and I can't wait f
Christina
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a totally unique thriller that I thoroughly enjoyed in audiobook form. You have to get past a little bit of initial skepticism about the premise — which I won’t spoil, but which has to do with genetic modification. There was suspense at every turn and starts out with the small family at the heart of the book on the run from a mysterious person for unknown reasons. There’s a lot of honest emotion here about Claire’s struggles losing a young child to a rare genetic condition, and finally ...more
Arpita (world of a book enthusiast)
Bookishfirst First Impression:

What a book! I read first 23 pages of this book. The book seems to be gripping and intriguing. The story begins when Abby (Abigail) is driving to New York City from Garrison with her parents on his dead brother Colton’s twenty-first birthday to his favorite place (Natural History Museum). Colton was 8 when he died and since that day they are living a dull life so that no one finds out where this family is living and no one recognizes them.
Abby is around 10 years old
Kimberly Belle
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can we talk about this cover? Because it is perfection. The braid, the title, the way the two are intertwined. I wanted this book before I even knew what it was about, and thankfully, the insides lived up to the out. A well-written, compelling read that blurs real-life science with fiction. I flew through this one!
Shelby
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Then: Claire and her husband, Ethan, are still grieving the loss of Colton, their 8-year old son who died due to a hereditary mitochondrial condition. Now the couple wants to expand their family and open their hearts to another child, but Claire is worried about passing her genes onto yet another child, only to meet the same fate as Colton.

So instead, Claire seeks out an experimental doctor that is using cutting edge science to prevent hereditary conditions via mitochondria. Instead of having 2
Tabi⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Jul 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Tabi⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ by: Mary S. R.
Shelves: netgalley, hypewagon
not a fan of thrillers but I'm a fan of Mary S. R. and I pretty much read whatever she tells me is good xD ...more
OutlawPoet
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
So, I confess that I found this book very interesting, and almost never exciting.

The concept was unique. I did find myself wishing for a bit more insight into the science behind all of this. Instead, we focused more on the obsessive histrionics of one of the people involved in this drama.

I didn't care for the characters - even Abby grated on me after a while.

However, I was still curious enough that I wanted to see how it all would end.

It could be that the various POV characters mixed with the va
Rissa
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, nook
Mother Knows Best

We jump back and forth before Claire and her daughter Abby. We see how Claire became the cold heartless women that she is now. We also see Abby trying to find more out about her family history which causes her to find some interesting information out about her mother or the women claiming to be her mother.
It was slow and predictable but I still enjoyed the characters and the story.

Thank you so much to Crooked lane books via netgalley for sending me an ARC copy of mother knows
Figgy
Review to come.

This was a buddy read with Mary S. R. and it was a good one for this purpose... lots of twists to try and figure out.

Mary figured out one of the twists, and I figured out another (early on, but the book had me second-guessing myself the rest of the book).

The Rapunzel themes were minimal, and I predicted one of the biggest twists to the book, but it was an interesting read and a speculative story set around existing tech, and built around the actually progresses in that tech back

• When You Find Me
  • One Little Secret
  • Beneath the Shadows
  • Last Girl Gone (Laura Chambers Mystery, #1)
  • The Liar's Girl
  • Stay
  • This Is Not How It Ends
  • The Argument
  • The House of Brides
  • The Runaway
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • When I Was You
  • Holding On To Nothing
  • The Last Resort
  • What Happened That Night
  • In an Instant
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • The Patient