Start by marking “Finna” as Want to Read:
Finna

Finna

When an elderly customer at a big box furniture store slips through a portal to another dimension, it’s up to two minimum-wage employees to track her across the multiverse and protect their company’s bottom line. Multi-dimensional swashbuckling would be hard enough, but our two unfortunate souls broke up a week ago.

Can friendship blossom from the ashes of a relationship?
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: February 25th 2020 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Finna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finna

Start your review of Finna
Lauren Stoolfire
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, lgbtq, adventure
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When an elderly customer at a Swedish big box furniture store — but not that one — slips through a portal to another dimension, it’s up to two minimum-wage employees to track her across the multiverse and protect their company’s bottom line. Multi-dimensional swashbuckling would be hard enough, but those two unfortunate souls broke up a week ago. To find the missing granny, Ava and Jules will brave carnivorous furniture, swarms of
Lori
When a shopper's grandmother accidentally gets lost inside a wormhole that opens up inside of their furniture store, ex-partners Jules and Ava are sent into the abyss to bring her back.

In Finna, Cipri perfectly captures the soul-sucking turdfest that is corporate retail while also giving us the all the feels - because c'mon, who hasn't been stuck working a shit ass job that you hate but can't afford to leave while also attempting to avoid your ex, who also works there? Right?

It's the perfect
Sana
Feb 21, 2019 is currently reading it
HELLO, MULTIVERSE WITH A SIDE OF CAPITALISM AND QUEERNESS. Also, this is written by a queer and trans author. GET IT, TOR.COM
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
4.5 Stars
This was such an entertaining science fiction novella that bought it elements of horror with some dangerous furniture. Yet despite the goofy synopsis, this was a surprisingly heartfelt story. I only expected a fun, light-hearted adventure, but I honestly didn’t think I would love the story as much as I did.

First, the IKEA-like setting was fantastic. The story reminded me a bit of Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix in how it explores the pains of retail employment. I also really appreciated
Claire Rousseau
This was delightful, in turns creepy and touching and rage-inducing, with some proper 'holy shit' moments. Will be keeping an eye on whatever Cipri writes next! My first 5-star read of the year!
Crini
Feb 21, 2019 marked it as get-on-my-shelf-already
SO here for "what would a wormhole in IKEA lead to?" and "queer relationships and queer feelings, the everyday awfulness of low-wage work, wormholes, and carnivorous furniture."

(source)
Carla B.  Estruch
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beware! There are chairs that could eat you whole in one bite in this tale about a fictional Ikea.

It was the first time I read something by Nino Cipri and I can assure you it will not be the last. I enjoyed FINNA a lot and, in fact, I read it in two days. The story's rhythm, the idea behind it and the characters that lived through it... For me, it all made a fabulous new constellation. I just hope it is not the last we heard from them. I want to travel eternally through this multiverse!
The thing
Paul
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cipri has the deft skill of weaving characterization into their plotting. I loved the banter, but that sarcasm does cut. Humorous and biting. Spend an afternoon or morning or night in this author’s wickedly wacky world. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

5 out of 5 stars

For my full review: https://paulspicks.blog/2020/01/30/fi...

For all my reviews: https://paulspicks.blog
Jordan Shiveley
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I just finished reading FINNA and I have to say the novella sized story is rapidly becoming one of my favorite lengths. Much like it’s minimum wage heartbroken protagonists Finna has little time to waste or words to mince before pulling you headlong into a lean, perfectly paced Swedish furniture tinged multidimensional horror romp.

Oh also it’s a wrenching story of emotional trauma, queer romance and gender identity all mixed with carnivorous...well I’ll let you find out what is carnivorous.
Elizabeth
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who has been to an Ikea knows that it is a lawless place that violates physics and exists in a purely liminal space between realities. One minute you’re in a perfect model apartment, organized into two hundred flawlessly neat square feet, and the next you’re buying cutlery with a Swedish name that makes the less mature among us giggle. Nino Cipro’s new novella, graciously given to me by Tor.com publishing, takes this concept on a literal level, to contain a twisty work that contains both ...more
Kristen
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here, on my blog~

This story caught my attention from an article on Tor.com. To quote the author:

“This story mixes together a lot of things that are close to my heart: queer relationships and queer feelings, the everyday awfulness of low-wage work, wormholes, and carnivorous furniture. It’s a story about what we can and can’t escape from: capitalism and accountability, labor and love.”

Queer feelings and carnivorous furniture, you say? Sign me absolutely all of the way up for this
Amy
Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read this novella!

Rating: 4.5 stars
Rep: f/non-binary relationship, POC MC and MC with mental illness (anxiety & depression).

As someone who doesn't tend to reach for a lot of sci-fi, I was a little apprehensive to pick this up. But after I found out it had such good rep, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to read it and I'm so glad I did!

I adored the main characters, I loved their connection and especially all the tension! The
The Resistance Bookclub
** I received an ARC through Netgalley in return for an honest review**
Short Answer: I need this to be a full-length novel and Netflix Original TV Show
Longer Answer: Finna is a novella that seems to contradict itself in being simultaneously very unrealistic and unrealistic.
Plot wise, this story is bonkers sci-fi at its best: social criticism wrapped in a layer of hilariously weird-but-smart settings and world-building. A portal sci-fi in a non-copyright-Ikea-equivalent. Even trying to explain
Jo Ladzinski
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, friends
Received an eARC from the author

The nightmare of IKEA—I'm sorry, LitenVäld—is made so much worse when it turns out that there are multiple versions of each one scattered throughout a multiverse. It doesn't help when you have to navigate it with your ex who is also your co-worker.

The relationship between Ava and Jules is so completely. Both of them are bona fide disasters. Cipri expertly sets up the conflicts and that ended their relationships as the kinds of arguments which help them survive
Annie
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I daresay that a lot of people who visit a certain Swedish home store feel overwhelmed and lost as they wander from set piece to set piece before they finally find their way out, hours later. At LitenVäld, a similar gigantic operation that serves as the setting for Nino Cipri’s highly entertaining Finna, customers and employees who become lost in the store run the risk of walking through wormholes to LitenVälds in other universes...

Read the rest of my review at A Bookish Type. I received a free
Marshall Boyd
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good multiverse-spanning adventure. Funny, anti-capitalist, and heartwarming.
Olav
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you've ever spent too long in an IKEA and gotten disoriented by the cavalcade of showrooms and design arrangements, you'll feel at home in the pages of Finna, the new anticaptialist portal fantasy from Nino Cipri.

Breezy, fun, and engaging, Nino Cipri's new novella is a delightful little book that I'm recommending to all my SFF-reading friends.
Christina
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a world only a little different from our own, there exists a home furnishings store called LitenVärld. That's "Small World" in Swedish, but it turns out that neither the store nor the world is particularly small. Both are places where people can get lost, and that's exactly where Nino Cipri's story begins: a missing grandmother, a labyrinth of affordable room solutions, and two employees who are also lost, albeit emotionally, and hoping desperately that they can help everyone get found again. ...more
Adrian M
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finna is a fun and fast novella that manages to pack a number of big ideas & emotionally engaging character arcs into its short, punchy page count.

It tells the tale of two low-wage retail workers at an IKEA-alike furniture store who must enter an extra-dimensional portal (created by the confusion the showroom layout causes) in order to find a customer who went missing, or an "appropriate replacement".

The set-up in some ways feels like the punchline to a joke (which is essentially confirmed
Tsana Dolichva
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
FINNA by Nino Cipri is an amusing novella set in a thinly veiled Ikea store in the US. It features wormholes to parallel universes, and two employees who recently broke up and have not yet worked through the awkward post-breakup period.

I really enjoyed FINNA. As is my habit, I had forgotten what it was about (aside from thinking that it was vaguely Scandinavian which it was, emphasis on the vaguely). The opening of the book sets the scene with a focus on the protagonist’s general misery from her
Coreena McBurnie
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this novella -- it was different from what I normally read. It takes place in a store called LitenVäld, a loosely veiled Ikea, complete with confusing and generic layouts. An elderly woman goes missing into another dimension and 2 workers, Ava and Jules (who have recently broken up) are tasked with finding her. Amazing concept!

The relationship between Ava and Jules is really well done -- the reader feels the awkwardness between this newly broken up couple and how there are still tender
FanFiAddict
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 8.5/10

Thanks to the publisher and author for an advance reading copy of Finna in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this eARC did not influence my thoughts or opinions on the novel.

Multi-dimensional portal opens up in IKEA-like store that leads to a lionhearted adventure between two (2) low-waged co-workers who just broke things off. Oh, and did I mention they are going after someone’s grandma who just happened upon said portal? What more do you need?

Like a majority of Tor.com’s
Vinny —.:* Artsy Draft
Thank you Macmillan-Tor/Forge for providing me with a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Ernest
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
How would you like be stuck in a search across multiple timelines all leading to big box stores with the partner you'd just split up with? Nino Cipri's new novella will haunt your next visit to IKEA, though the flat-pack furniture store in it is carefully named something else. You'll find the hidden paths, furniture tableaus, and reasonably priced food court you know from the blue and yellow flat-pack giant, plus wormholes to parallel worlds with "carnivorous furniture", bloodthirsty hive ...more
Monika
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-cis-authors
This is a fun, anti-capitalist, wonderfully queer,lightsci-fiadventure novellaand I'm all about it. It's like NBC's Superstore meets Grady Hendrix's Horrorstör, but FINNA has its own unique style. You've got wormholes and multiverses, danger and discovery, humor and heart. I would have been thrilled to read a slightly longer book that fleshed out the characters a little bit more, but this shorter format worked great, too. I raced through this book right along with Jules and Ava, and I'm rushing ...more
Lisa Wolf
What fun! Finna is a story about wormholes opening up in an Ikea-like superstore, and it's also a story about relationships and heartbreak and healing. And did I mention the WORMHOLES in IKEA? This novella is fast-paced and funny, with quirky, snappy dialogue and weird as hell alternate universes. In a Swedish furniture store! Really a blast -- check it out!

Review copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley.
Leo
Oct 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
The author said ”This story mixes together a lot of things that are close to my heart: queer relationships and queer feelings, the everyday awfulness of low-wage work, wormholes, and carnivorous furniture. It’s a story about what we can and can’t escape from: capitalism and accountability, labor and love.” which is why I’m going to have to need this book like I need air.

Also, the author is trans/nonbinary and I need to support them. We enbies stick together.
Arielle Duhaime-Ross
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really wonderful read. It’s so nice to encounter a book that treats queerness and being trans as fact and as nothing out of the ordinary. It was equally nice to encounter a character that goes by “they/them” pronouns and to not have thAt explained. Because it’s not a big deal!

The anti-capitalist, multi-verse storyline was also very well thought out. And Beautifully written.
Drew
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet adventure story about parallel worlds inside of okay-it's-IKEA, about what happens after a breakup, about the crushing weight of capitalism and the only thing that can save us from it: each other.
John
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
This book creates a wonderfully fun (and funny) sci-fi world. The conflict in the middle of this multiverse romp is deeply relateable, and leads us to a very poignant ending. If you hate Capitalism and/or have ever been creeped out by IKEA stores, check this book out (in February 2020!).

• Prosper's Demon
  • Docile
  • Riot Baby
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
  • Malus Domestica (Malus Domestica, #1)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • Wilder Girls
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City