Start by marking “Finna (Finna #1)” as Want to Read:
Finna (Finna #1)

Finna

(Finna #1)

When an elderly customer at a big box furniture store slips through a portal to another dimension, it’s up to two minimum-wage employees to track her across the multiverse and protect their company’s bottom line. Multi-dimensional swashbuckling would be hard enough, but our two unfortunate souls broke up a week ago.

Can friendship blossom from the ashes of a relationship? I
Published February 25th 2020 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Finna, please sign up.
Artemis Do you go up to every fairy tale retelling, every Cinderella story, every Romeo and Juliet story, and ask why it needs to exist? Probably not. Concept…moreDo you go up to every fairy tale retelling, every Cinderella story, every Romeo and Juliet story, and ask why it needs to exist? Probably not. Concepts are cheap; the power is in the execution.

Anyway, even that analogy is selling FINNA short; FINNA isn't a reimagining or retelling of anything, it's entirely itself. It's not a horror story, nor is it trying to be; it's about navigating the multiverse, both literally and metaphorically. It's about two exes trying to be friends again, and understand each other better and rebuild something fragile and real between them that they hope they haven't destroyed. It's about choices. It's about tired queer millennials navigating the world - and as a queer millennial myself, I've never seen a depiction that NAILS it so well as FINNA does. It's a satire of of corporate retail culture and capitalism - which lots of people feel right now, and I welcome all the books doing that. No one book has a monopoly on a narrative that thousands of people live.

FINNA isn't the same as Horrorstör any more than A Game of Thrones is the same as Lord of the Rings even though they both are second-world medieval-Europe-ish high fantasy about the exiled heir to the kingdom. Do you think that no more fantasy novels about kings and kingdoms should have been written because Tolkien already did it? No one should bother to write about, say, grungy cyberpunk hackers being pressured by the cops to do a job for them to keep their freedom, because you could just read Gibson instead? Premises are simple. It's all in the execution that makes a book what it is. And if you personally didn't like it that doesn't mean it's worthless to exist.(less)

Start your review of Finna (Finna #1)
chai ♡
This was perfectly okay. Not the fun, page-turning romp about two exes who have to track an elderly woman through the multiverse after IKEA's maze-like interior punches a whole through space-time that I signed up for, but still okay. The plot plods along and the characters could emote more effusively, but the book's biggest strength lies in its razor-sharp critique of capitalism and the subpar treatment of retail workers.

ko-fiblogtwittertumblr
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
This store comes with a built-in 'creepy Scandinavian Narnia'. Yep, that's a multiverse take on IKEA, the modern corporate slavery, maskhål (aka mareji aka wormholes) and nonbinary ideas.
They even have tutorials on this: 'Wormholes and You'. These tutorials come equipped with 'the most obnoxiously heterosexual blobs' flirting!

The Rooms in here are hilarious:

Q:
Edgelord Rockabilly Dorm Room...
The Nihilist Bachelor Cube—... its cousins Coked-out Divorcée, Parental Basement Dweller, and Massage Ther
K.J. Charles
A very entertaining concept: IKEA(ish) stores are so confusing that they become portals to alternate worlds. When a customer wanders into a wormhole, two lowly retail grunts (who have just broken up, as well) are forced to go to the rescue. Monsters, pirates, adventure, and personal growth result. A delightful, deeply human/e story which is also a joy for anyone who's lost years of their life in blue and yellow retail hell.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
4.5 Stars
This was such an entertaining science fiction novella that bought it elements of horror with some dangerous furniture. Yet despite the goofy synopsis, this was a surprisingly heartfelt story. I only expected a fun, light-hearted adventure, but I honestly didn’t think I would love the story as much as I did.

First, the IKEA-like setting was fantastic. The story reminded me a bit of Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix in how it explores the pains of retail employment. I also really appreciated re
The Captain
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . . .

This novella answers the question about what would happen if a wormhole opened up in Ikea, I mean, LitenVärld (copyright issues!).  In this short but fun #ownvoices story, a grandmother wanders through the portal to another universe and gets lost.  Two employees have been tasked to find her . . . only they just broke up a week ago and are barely speaking.

The prem
Fiona
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
In a world very similar to our own (but importantly legally distinct!) a separated couple must embark on a voyage to save that most important of people - a customer.

Finna was a fun read, if a short one. There's always this dilemma with novellas - the most inventive and imaginative never quite seem long enough to properly explore what they offer the reader; that holds true here, but the worlds presented were so interesting and downright cool that I couldn't take a star away. But I would absolutel
Gabi
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Sorry to say, this one didn't work for me.

The premise of portals in the labyrinth of IKEA like department stores sounds terrific, but unfortunately the author didn't go anywhere amazing with it. The story and writing felt rather flat and the idea to combine a cool portal Fantasy idea with an ex-lover biggering team didn't work. Concentration on one of the two would perhaps helped the story, but this way neither could convince me.
Lisa Wolf
What fun! Finna is a story about wormholes opening up in an Ikea-like superstore, and it's also a story about relationships and heartbreak and healing. And did I mention the WORMHOLES in IKEA? This novella is fast-paced and funny, with quirky, snappy dialogue and weird as hell alternate universes. In a Swedish furniture store! Really a blast -- check it out!

Review copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley.
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
A grandmother goes to fake IKEA and accidentally stumbles into an interdimensional portal. Two employees (and exes), upon learning that this is kinda a thing at this place and that budget cuts have removed the highly trained retrieval teams designed for such things, are voluntold to go retrieve her.

This was absolutely fabulous, incredibly queer and highly anti-capitalist.

Before I go into my review, let me tell you of my first (and only) trip to IKEA.

Instead of sections, the store ushered shopper
Jenna
I mean, you had me at “wormholes in Ikea,” right??!!

I haven’t been into sci fi since...well, let’s just say it’s been sooooo long that I’d probably need a wormhole myself in order to access those far reaches of my memory. I’m old and jaded enough now that youth itself feels like a foreign planet. But, using a recent spate of dystopian literary fiction novel-reading as a sort of launchpad, I mysteriously and unexpectedly orbited into a modest dystopian-tinged sci fi reading binge at the beginning
Thomas Wagner
(Closer to 3.5 stars.) For a novella, Nino Cipri’s FINNA is as ambitious as they come. I’ve read entire trilogies that don’t aim to cover as much storytelling ground as this little book. Like many other novellas I’ve read from Tor.com, part of me thinks it needed to be longer to give all of its ideas room to breathe. But it is a highly entertaining, often very funny story with some really heartfelt queer rep, and you can’t exactly criticize it for having a lot on its mind.

Ava is an employee of L
Lauren Stoolfire
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, sci-fi, adventure
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When an elderly customer at a Swedish big box furniture store — but not that one — slips through a portal to another dimension, it’s up to two minimum-wage employees to track her across the multiverse and protect their company’s bottom line. Multi-dimensional swashbuckling would be hard enough, but those two unfortunate souls broke up a week ago. To find the missing granny, Ava and Jules will brave carnivorous furniture, swarms of
Melanie  Brinkman
This is so above their pay grade.

As if working at a big box furniture store wasn't frustrating enough, Ava's day just got worse. When an elderly customer slips through a portal to another dimension, Ava and her fellow minimum wage employee/ex are sent to track the missing grandmother down.

Crossing the multiverse together is no picnic when carnivorous furniture, "chipper" company spokespeople, and resentment in stand the way. Just what else might be waiting for them in the infinite dimensions?

A
Acqua
Queer portal fantasy, but make it Ikea AU!

As many others, I was first drawn to Finna because of its premise; after all, why not use the liminal space potential of retail stores to literally blur the boundaries between worlds? In that, Finna did deliver, and not without driving home certain points (love how the horror aspect comes from a world in which employees are all basically clones that exist to support the corporation aka "the Mother" because the workplace is your family!, and "sho
FanFiAddict
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 8.5/10

Thanks to the publisher and author for an advance reading copy of Finna in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this eARC did not influence my thoughts or opinions on the novel.

Multi-dimensional portal opens up in IKEA-like store that leads to a lionhearted adventure between two (2) low-waged co-workers who just broke things off. Oh, and did I mention they are going after someone’s grandma who just happened upon said portal? What more do you need?

Like a majority of Tor.com’s no
Lori
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
When a shopper's grandmother accidentally gets lost inside a wormhole that opens up inside of their furniture store, ex-partners Jules and Ava are sent into the abyss to bring her back.

In Finna, Cipri perfectly captures the soul-sucking turdfest that is corporate retail while also giving us the all the feels - because c'mon, who hasn't been stuck working a shit ass job that you hate but can't afford to leave while also attempting to avoid your ex, who also works there? Right?

It's the perfect b
Claire Rousseau
This was delightful, in turns creepy and touching and rage-inducing, with some proper 'holy shit' moments. Will be keeping an eye on whatever Cipri writes next! My first 5-star read of the year!
Sana
Feb 21, 2019 is currently reading it
HELLO, MULTIVERSE WITH A SIDE OF CAPITALISM AND QUEERNESS. Also, this is written by a queer and trans author. GET IT, TOR.COM
Gerhard
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay, the 'wormhole in IKEA' idea translates into a basic porthole-fiction yarn. But what I loved about Cipri's take on this is how it becomes an extended metaphor for the tender and fraught relationship between Ava and Jules. Review to follow.
Matthew Quann
This was a fun little novella in which a recently split couple are pulled into a multiversal mess in the heart of an IKEA stand-in. The wacky ideas come hard and fast, and the relationship-in-question material is also pretty endearing. There was a bit too much virtue-signalling for me, but a bit of preaching won't go astray for everyone. I would have been happy reading more from this world (or any of its infinite alternate worlds), but was still satisfied by this one's end. Giving this one a sol ...more
Marie-Therese
Warm, cuddly, and cute but just a tad too long and sentimental. The first third just drags terribly and I almost gave up and set the book aside, but the story picks up as our plucky protagonists break free from their dead-end jobs and enter new realms, and the last third of the book is genuinely sweet, hopeful, and heart-warming. A pleasant rather than an essential read.
Beth
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Beth by: tor.com
This is a fun romp through multiple dimensions that starts at an analog of IKEA. The writing style is simple and straightforward, which works for the adventure portions of the story, but makes the central characters and their relationship feel flat and distanced from the reader. The jabs at consumerism and capitalism are cute at times (blond consumerist zombies!), too mundane at others. Yep, I get it. Retail sucks.
Mehsi
Review deleted from Goodreads.I am crying at the moment. Good start of the week. If you want to read the review, it is for now on my blog, but edited. I don't feel safe to have it up on GR even though I didn't mean any harm or anything else.
Tammy
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: Wormholes, a missing grandmother, relationship drama and even some eldritch god horror infuse this short and lively novella with excitement and heart.

Silvia
Maybe 3.5 stars, this was a lot of fun!
Philip
Despite the interesting concept - basically, IKEA as the portal to parallel worlds- this was really just "meh," since there was little here that hasn't been done before and better elsewhere. Granted, this is a short novella, but the story was still pretty thin, and it's hard to claim to be a true "multiverse" story when you only flit through three alternate worlds in really short order.

I did enjoy the book's quick introductory exploration of the IKEA-like "LitenVärld;" it reminded me a bit of Pe
Caidyn (he/him/his)
CW: misgendering (purposeful), transphobia, and prejudice against non-binary folx

3.5/5

This was a very quick read that I enjoyed. I loved how this just wove in a non-binary character without an issue, while keeping it complex and bringing up issues that Jules had while also keeping it about the plot. Also loved that this featured, again, a queer relationship. Gotta love tor.com for basically making everything they write LGBT+ in some way. Always lovely.

The sci-fi was super fun. It reminded me of
Crini
Feb 21, 2019 marked it as get-on-my-shelf-already
SO here for "what would a wormhole in IKEA lead to?" and "queer relationships and queer feelings, the everyday awfulness of low-wage work, wormholes, and carnivorous furniture."

(source)
Tammy
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

Finna was a lot of wacky fun, with some surprisingly thoughtful emotional moments and commentary on identity. I wasn’t sure all these disparate elements would mesh together, but by the end of the story I was completely convinced. Nino Cipri is a nonbinary author, and they have written an insightful, #ownvoices story dealing with t
Nicky
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Nino Cipri is one of those authors I didn’t know anything about a few months ago and then started hearing a lot about all at once, so I was very curious about Finna. It’s set in what is basically IKEA, a megastore called LitenVärld. The layout of the place is so confusing that it wears at the seams of reality, and employees (and customers) have found portals to other worlds opening — and some of those worlds are less friendly than ours. As Finna opens, Ava learns that somebody’s lovely grandmoth ...more

• On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
  • Wilder Girls
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • Prosper's Demon
  • The Prestige
  • The Cactus League
  • The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2)
  • The Second Sleep
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • In the Dream House
  • American Sherlock: Murder, Forensics, and the Birth of American CSI

Finna (2 books)
  • Defekt (Finna #2)

Articles featuring this book

Someday, this year will end! And with the ringing in of 2021, we will come to the end of this year's Goodreads Reading Challenge. Of course,...
“Ava had never really had to deal with an emergency; just the slow disaster that was her life.” 5 likes
“This video is making me gayer out of spite,' Jules muttered, clear even from the other side of the room.” 3 likes