Jump to ratings and reviews
All’s fair in love and war … And this is war

Family is just the worst. We’ve all got that one cousin who’s a raging turdhammer. My family thinks it’s me: Loki, God of Mischief Extraordinaire. But it’s not. It’s not even Thor, hammer references aside. It’s Odin, the AllDick. Listen, I’m not mad that I woke up in a woman’s body after the apocalypse. These things happen. The problem is, Odin stole my runes. You know, the ones that keep me smart, charming, and oh yeah, immortal.

With the AllDick cockblocking my every move, a frenemy chicken interfering in my biz, and the strange, delicious feelings this new body has for the knight-in-modern armor who keeps coming to my rescue, I’ll need every weapon in my war chest (which is bodaciously big—gods, how do you ladies sleep on these things?) if I’m going to survive.

Although, I’ve never been one for the bare minimum. Why only survive when I can thrive? If Odin thought Ragnarok was bad, he’s in for the ride of his afterlife when he gets a load of the new me.

Book 1 in the Asgard Awakening urban fantasy comedy series

ebook

First published March 19, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kendall Grey

29 books1,611 followers
A whale warrior, marathoner wannabe, and vodka martini aficionado, Kendall Grey is calm like an F-bomb*. She writes books about fierce women in genres ranging from erotica to urban fantasy comedy. Her aliases include Kendall Day (FALLING FOR MR. SLATER) and Seven Slade (COMING OUT).

Kendall lives off a dirt road near Atlanta, Georgia with her dashing geek husband, a one-eyed Dachshund that thinks she's a cat, and an incorrigible yet adorable mutt whose ice-blue eyes will steal your heart and hold it for ransom.

*Detonation manual not included.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
19 (4%)
1 star
9 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 106 reviews
Profile Image for The Sassy Bookworm.
3,262 reviews2,268 followers
April 12, 2019
description
description THIS is the exact reason I love trying NEW TO ME authors. This book was frigging HILARIOUS. It was also a fantastically enjoyable book. Well written. Well paced. A witty and original plot. Full of Norse mythology and characters. So much humor. A bit of romance. Surprises. A road trip. A crazy chicken. A gender swapping (hero) heroine. Two fantastic secondary characters, and a cliffhanger that will leave you dying to get your hands on book two.

What more can you ask for. I LOVED it and I need book two...NOW!

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

Profile Image for Kendall Grey.
Author 29 books1,611 followers
Read
March 26, 2020
Profile Image for Rhiannon Chillingworth.
696 reviews149 followers
June 18, 2019
This was so much fun! It's rare I repeatedly laugh out lous reading, but this happened throughout.

The concept of this book is really interesting. As the blurb tells us, the Norse trickster God, Loki, wakes up in the 21st Century in the body of a woman. Almost immediately she is saved by the absolutely fantastic Gunnar Magnusson (I love how she insisted on calling him by his full name throughout) and they go on a wild and crazy journey to help Loki, who he thinks is insane, find one of her runes. Once she gathers all four she'll have her Godhood restored.

There is really nothing not to like here. The plot is interesting and original and moves at a fast pace. Loki herself is an absolutely helarious narrator who I adored. Gunnar is just lovely and his friend, Freddie, makes a good addition (with his random robotics and weed lollypops). She even has a chicken sidekick, Huugin (one of Odin's reincarnated ravens) as a side kick. It's a fun, light read that doesn't take itself too seriously, but is really effective.

Highly recommend!
Profile Image for Carly.
301 reviews
June 19, 2019
It would be so easy to succumb to his everything-will-be-okay promises and just go to sleep, hoping I'll wake up tomorrow in a different body, a different time, a different place.
But none of that will happen. I'm a god from the past trapped as a mortal woman in a future I don't understand. As sure as my breasts are perky and my booty brings the thunder, I can't get complacent now. My new life is just getting started.

Holy Hel, this was so much fun! In fact, it was so fun, funny, and different that I'm giving it 5 stars right out the gate. And as I mentioned before, I usually reserve my 5s for re-reads that I still love the second time around. But I loved this so much, I couldn't not give it 5 stars.
I had pretty high expectations for this, not only do I love the subject matter, but I have liked everything I've read by Kendall Grey. And even though I haven't read a lot of her books, I'm a fan. Her Hard Rock Harlots series is some hilariously hot smut. So I picked this up right when it released and I've been hanging on to it for a rainy day. After a shitty week, it was just what I needed and it absolutely did not disappoint.
This has two of my absolute favorite topics:
1.) A traditional villain, who isn't quite as bad as history portrays. I am a serious sucker for a "bad guy" who isn't really that bad of a guy. That's why stories about Lucifer are some of my faves. (And there are some serious similarities between Loki and Lucifer.) Loki might have done some shitty things, but there's always a reason. Like they say, there's at least two sides of every story, and I will always want to hear the "other" side.
2.) Stories based in Norse mythology. It is, by far, my favorite out of all the polytheistic religions. And I'm also a sucker for any type of pantheon of gods, but when you add in Vikings to that…it's just, like…sploosh. Love it, can't get enough of it. And this was the most interesting take on, not just Loki, but any "god in modern time" story I think I've ever read.
I won't bore you and go through my thoughts on the plot and the characters…but I have to at least say I loved it all. I loved Loki, Gunnar Magnusson, and Huggin. Freddie, too. And while it ended on, not a cliffhanger, but a definite set-up for the next book, I loved that, too. It is downright unusual for me to say I loved how a book ends. And since book 2 is definitely not out, that's saying something. I actually try not to read series that only have one book released, I'm too impatient for that shit. In this case, I don't mind so much, but I'm a definitely anxious for more.
Also, I feel it's worth mentioning, that this book probably has an interesting point to make regarding gender-identity. And while I'm all for it, I'm also only here for the entertainment factor. So while I think a book about a male god reincarnated into a female body and Loki's resulting internal struggle with his new "reality" and his attraction to Gunnar Magnusson, and men in general, is a seriously ingenious way to tackle a current social situation, I'm not about to analyze and dissect and discuss. Because honestly, I read so I don't have to analyze or dissect or discuss…well, anything. From A to fucking Z, religion to current events, I don't want to dig into undertones and meanings and parallels to historically significant events. So while I recognize it, I'm all about the escapism in a book. My only care in writing a review is if it was an entertaining ride, that's it. My only take away is that this book was an awesomely fun time, and I'm absolutely salivating for more.

I glance down at my voluptuous figure. A plume of wavy, wet blonde hair hugs my shoulders. My fingers have lost their thickness, now thin and genteel with rounded, shiny nails at the tips. I have long, shapely legs - I check behind me - and a great arse.
I shake my head as I trip over the wire stretching across the punch line to this cruel joke.
I'm a woman.
Not a god who shapeshifted into a woman, but a full-blown, V-card sporting lady who's got all the mountains and valleys to prove it.
The trickster god Loki, son of frost giants, father to the beasts that brought down Allfather Odin and Thunder-Bringer Thor, who masterminded and personally delivered the end to an entire world, wrapped up in a pretty, bloody red bow has finally been bested.
Well.
I can't say I didn't have it coming.

~

See, if you haven't noticed yet, I'm bad. I do bad things. I can't help it. Bad is in my blood.
When I'm doing bad things, I love my job. Making mischief gets my brain off. Tell me I can't do something, and I'll do it just for fun to spite you.
But if you tell me I shouldn't do something, it becomes a challenge I'll obsess over until I see it through to its conclusion. Shouldn't implies a judgement against me before I even start. Shouldn't has moral implications that lead to consequences. Sometimes those consequences are lasting injuries to a person or place (How's the hand, Tyr?). Sometimes death (Sorry-not-sorry, Baldur, you whopping-great blister on the arse of godhood). On rare occasions, the end of the world (I started Ragnarok, and all I got was dead and this lousy man-sweater).
Shouldn't is my favorite word.
So, in this moment, as a god-turned-woman, riding inside a metal beast with a big, handsome, bearded man whom I shouldn't want anything to do with, all I can think of is how to extend the grift for maximum penalty to my newborn nether-petals.
Why?
Because I deserve it.
Self-flagellation can be a wonderful thing, especially when you're destroying lives alongside your own.
I'm Loki. I can't help myself.

~

"Do you believe me, Gunnar Magnusson?" Please believe me. I don't even believe in myself anymore.
"The truth? No. I don't believe you," he says. "But that doesn't mean you're not right. I'm with you, right or wrong."
"Why?" I demand, fighting back welling tears. "Why would you stand by someone you think is nuts?"
He doesn't answer for a long moment. He seems to be mulling over how to respond. Then he presses his lips together in a tight smile and leans closer. "I stand by you because despite all the evidence proving you're not a Norse god, I want to believe you are. I stand by you because I have a silly little hope inside me here," he points to his heart, "that keeps whispering in your defense. When my heart talks, I listen."
"Why do you listen to an organ? It pumps blood. It doesn't think or feel."
"Because it never spoke to me before you."
I eye him suspiciously. "All those girls you and Freddie reminisced about couldn't get it to talk? There were quite a few, if I recall correctly. Surely at least one had an impact."
He laughs. "Freddie's another story, but there were never that many girls for me. A few were special, but none of them were you."
Liquid heat washes over my head and drips down my entire being like the water from my first shower. It's unexpected but welcome. I may not know who I am, but this feeling is true. It's something to hold onto when everything falls apart.
Suddenly, the world seems a little less dismal, and my mental state - whatever condition it's in - feels less important than my emotional one. Gunnar Magnusson grounds me, for better or worse, Norse god or mortal woman. Maybe he's exactly what I need. My balance. My steady, sturdy anchor.
I gather my courage and consider the possibilities for my future. In the big scheme of things, does the current body I occupy matter? Sure, it's inconvenient and largely unexplored, but the prospect of discovery isn't so bad. If I open myself up to whatever is in store, the challenges to come might not impact me as negatively as they would if I resist.
Embrace the femininity. Embrace the wildness. Embrace the surprises.
As Loki the god, I always enjoyed such challenges.

~

In many ways, I've turned out to be quite the "wuss," as these modern Midguardians say. Abandoning my trickster life to fit into the twenty-first century. Adopting a girly mindset to match my newfound girly figure. Flirting with every handsome man that crosses my path.
I blame hormones and a dearth of runes.
Old Loki would be so disappointed.
But this is new Loki.
When Gunnar Magnusson first found me in the snow, he told me our souls didn't care what clothes we wear. At the time, I blew him off, but on reflection, I realize he was right.
I'm still Loki whether I have great boobs and a fine arse or a red beard and skinny man jeans. Female hormones may have softened some parts of me, but they don't make me any different at my core. And who's to say new Loki can't use her body to her advantage? After all, isn't that what old Loki would've done to get what he wanted?
The Universe follows certain edicts. To get something, you have to give something. Give an angry giantess your body, get a triumvirate of monstrous kids that bring down the entire world. Give away your penis and testicles, get breasts and a vagina. Give a little blood, sweat, and tragedy, get back your immortality.
I used to have to work hard for my hustles, tricking people, lying constantly, sneaking around everyone's back. Plotting, plotting, plotting. Now I can shake my boobs, and magically, things go in my favor.
This body isn't a curse. It's a gods-damn blessing.
I swing the necklace up and over my head. The raven pendant rests flat against my chest, right above my awesome breasts. "After tonight, I won't need this anymore," I tell Gunnar Magnusson.
"You seem pretty sure of yourself," he replies. "Should I be afraid?"
I smile. "When Loki has a plan, you should always be afraid."
"You don't scare me," he says.
Profile Image for Natalie .
2,332 reviews32 followers
June 20, 2019
Jumped into this one with high hopes because gender bent Loki? Bring.it.on. Over the top, sexed up, entertaining fun. Gonna say slow burn with only one definite lover at this stage. The chicken was wtf but by the end…aww. Loki knows how to tell a story, the tentacle in the creature thing was gold. The Ragnarök telling is pure Loki but reincarnated Loki is confused, has a case of identity disorder and no powers. Its nice to see that he/she hasn’t become a damsel in distress, just a crazy time-warped chick that argues with a chicken, has a thing for vibrators and speaks old Norse.
Profile Image for Daisy Delfin.
851 reviews102 followers
Read
November 27, 2021
I read 60% of the book and I can't get into it. This was a br with the #cakeeaters and they loved the book, went on with the series. But I don't know what it is and why I don't get the book. I like Gunnar and Loki too. I will give it a try in the futre
September 8, 2019
Boy-howdy I loved this book. Loki was instantly lovable. Hilarious. Gunnar was perfect. The author seems to be slowly knitting together a big picture plot for us (as we follow an unwitting Loki along on their adventures) dropping info bombs along the way. Only the suspense isn’t annoying...it’s actually quite nice. My only issue with the book is that it relies on a somewhat intermediate level knowledge of Norse mythology, about which i have an only surface knowledge. So...i wish a few more things were explained, especially some of the jokes that play on old myths.
Profile Image for Kayla.
1,565 reviews65 followers
April 9, 2019
I got this from KU, and just finished it. Omg, I loved it. It's my favorite book I've read this year. It might even be one of my favorite books of all time. It does have some romance (although it's not the main focus of the story), and it's freaking hilarious. I highly recommend you check it out.
Profile Image for Sally.
Author 121 books301 followers
August 29, 2020
Runed by Kendall Grey is fantastically funny and fabulously fantastic. I was smirking by the end of the first page, smiling by the end of the first chapter, and giggling aloud often enough that people in the airport were giving me strange looks. What a delightful read!

There are three things going on with this book that you need to be aware of. First, there is a meta-textual bit of mythological appropriation, which is wonderfully done. Grey has a lot of fun with Norse mythology, updating it for the twenty-first century, and inviting us to view both past and present through Loki's eyes - which is twice as much fun as you might expect, owing to a Game of Thrones/Vikings style TV drama about Odin and family that leaves Loki rather unsettled.

Second is the fish-out-of-water theme that, despite having been exhaustively explored is comedies both literary and cinematic, works wonderfully here because of Grey's deft touch. Loki is lost in a new body . . . a new world . . . and a new time. Everything - language, transportation, communication, entertainment, culture - is either foreign or alien. All the misunderstandings you might expect are exploited, but it is those that you do not see coming that are the most fun. Forget cellphones and airplanes, if you really want to overwhelm an ancient Norse deity, drop a vibrator in their lap. I laughed out loud!

Last is the very element that hooked me from the start - the gender-swap, which goes far beyond trickster shapeshifting, leaving Loki a "full-blown, V-card sporting lady" with "two no-need-to-stock-up-on-sheep’s-milk-I’ve-got-you-and-the-rest-of-the-village-covered breasts" and "a great arse." The initial gender discovery is a lot of fun, and the little details along the way keep that aspect from getting tired or stale. Even when the story is being laugh-out-loud humorous, though, Grey still manages to sneak in some wonderful observations about how women - both transgender and cisgender - are treated. There is a simple bathroom scene that surprised me with how tasteful and triumphant it played out.

Short enough to be read in one sitting, and entertaining enough to make the time fly by, Runed was so much more than I had hoped it might be!

Profile Image for Poplora.
608 reviews85 followers
June 18, 2019
This was a fun read. I'm glad fluidity of gender is embraced in this. It's nice to not have to deal with a char who is just locked into a gender stereotype simply because they have the bits. Internally, Loki is still Loki regardless of the body and refers to himself as such. But he also embraces and explores his new self and potential identity as a woman, or both. I don't know, it's just a nice refreshing change that I hope doesn't stop.

Not entirely sure where this series will go but I am looking forward to it. Love the twist at the end, I didn't actually see that coming.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jennifer Wells.
Author 9 books73 followers
March 25, 2019
This book is a fabulous mix of Norse mythology, comedy, romance, urban fantasy, and poultry. Runed made me laugh like a trickster god. It caused me to lose sleep because I could not put it down. It made me want to go on a road trip, indulge my most eccentric fashion leanings, and pet a chicken. What the Hel are you waiting for? Buy this book and embrace the chaos!
Profile Image for Ginger.
1,138 reviews7 followers
June 9, 2019
Mythical, hilarious, delightful! I know this author writes with a twisted sense of humor, but this story took me totally off guard.
This story is different than anything I have listened to this year, and I can’t wait to listen to more in the Asgard Awakening series.
If your looking for pn and a laugh than this audible book is for you!!
Natalie Duke is the narrator and she nailed it.
Profile Image for Melanie Marsh.
462 reviews18 followers
July 31, 2019
What a great story! Runed was everything I hoped it would be. Funny, exciting and one of a kind.

It’s not every day that you read a book about Loki, the trickster god being trapped in a woman’s body. I’ll admit, I was a little bit leery at first. My feelings quickly changed as the story developed into something that could only come from the mind of Kendall Grey.

I like that she kept things, to a reasonable degree, along with the truth of the mythologies. Obviously, there was creativity at play here, but that’s what one comes to expect from fiction writers. The mythologies are still recognizable and familiar despite being different.

Loki’s relationship with Huginn had me DYING I was laughing so hard. I haven’t read anything this funny in a long time and I am extremely excited to read the next book when it comes out.
Profile Image for Abi.
1,928 reviews
September 7, 2019
Oh my God, this was so much fun! It was a gender bender, modern, Norse, underdog type story, and it was hilarious to boot! Loki, Gunnar Magnusson, Freddie, and the chicken were all great. I totally called the Gunnar thing by the way. Awesome book! Action, romance, gods, magic, a bad tv show the MC hated because of its portrayal of her godly self, and did I mention it was hilarious? So. AWESOME! And only $3.99! Onto book 2! 4.5 stars.
Profile Image for Tara.
475 reviews7 followers
March 31, 2019
Hel-FREAKING-Yes

Thank you Kendall Grey for another AMAZING book of words and SO MUCH MORE!! I've read every book you've written and YOU surprise and surpass my expectations every time. You are a master of words. Keep up the fantastic work.
Profile Image for Moony (Captain Mischief) MeowPoff.
1,408 reviews121 followers
June 7, 2021
I got this eARC from Netgalley in exhange for a honest review
I went in, hopeful that i`d like this book, since i really like Loki. But i didn`t find it funny or connect with any of the characters. I`ve noticed others found it hilarous, i guess it`s just me.
Profile Image for Zenda.
1,496 reviews
October 3, 2021
Loki = greatness

Great play on Norse mythology. I can see we are getting hints of what everyone is, but I haven't quite pegged who everyone is yet. These characters are fun and I can't wait to see where the story goes.
Profile Image for Kateblue.
560 reviews
November 14, 2019
At the beginning it seemed clever and different. And it is, I suppose, but after the halfway point, it became tiresome because much of the cleverness is caused by the main character's misunderstanding of the world. Plus, the main character is not very nice, so hard to root for.

Later, I started skimming because there seems to be a lot of internal review--you know, how a character thinks back on what has happened and all of the drama . . . I wanted to be done, but then, when I went back to the Table of Contents to see how much further, (3 chapters, 21, 22 and 23) the Table of Contents said at the bottom, "want to know what happens next?" so I knew then I was not getting a complete story.

There's an ok ending, but not a complete one. The last bit was better than the part I was bored with at about 60-70%. And then there's a new question/revelation right at the end to try to sucker you in to the next book.
Do I recommend people read it? Not sure. I really liked it when I started, but now I am glad it's over. I don't think I will continue unless I keep recollecting it. Then I might buy book 2

I'm sorry this is not helping readers decide. I'm ambivalent, and so is my review. Despite the cleverness, meh.
Profile Image for Terri.
315 reviews
July 2, 2019
O.M.G. Where do I START?!

This book was hilariously funny, imaginative, and left me wanting MORE!

Loki The Trickster has been awakened in modern times over a thousand years after bringing about Ragnarok. Loki's current predicament? He's now a SHE and all of HER runes that make her a... ahem... GODDESS have been stripped from her. With the help of a googley eyed immortal chicken and some new mortal friends Loki must find her runes to regain her God(dess) like glory. The twist at the end was UTTERLY evil and I'm rabid for the release of the next book in Loki and company's story!
Profile Image for Samantha.
85 reviews2 followers
March 31, 2019
I grabbed this book after it was recommended by a friend, so glad I did. If your a fan of Norse mythology and Rom coms grab this book. The book was well written and kept me engaged and laughing from the beginning. We are use to seeing Loki as the bad one.. this puts a different spin, add in a sexy man, cross eyed chicken and you have a great book. I can’t wait for book 2. Amazing job Ms. Grey.
Profile Image for Maka Neese.
122 reviews1 follower
April 7, 2019
Bloody magnificent

I wasn’t to sure about those book as a person who loves Norse Mythology I was skeptical about something else. I have to admit as usual Kendall has out done herself. It’s a great read and I most definitely can not wait for the sequel.
44 reviews
March 25, 2019
I thought this was really unique, funny, and well-written. I like mythology and this modern-take was really great. I look forward to the next in the series.
7 reviews
April 6, 2019
Best "Loki in the modern world" book ever.

Funny, witty, clever, and totally original. Completely different spin on the Asgard mythology, can't wait for the next book to come out.
Profile Image for Bookish.
81 reviews7 followers
August 14, 2019
This book had me laughing until I couldn't breathe. A seriously funny -and original - take on old legend and myth. Loki as a modern woman? Too much fun! Plus, there's a chicken! Any book with a chicken as a central character has to be awesome, right? And Huginn is no ordinary chicken.

Get this book and read it. If laughter is the best medicine, this book will cure anything that ails you. Kendall Grey has proven again that she can write anything and do it well.

Odin himself couldn't have updated and inverted Loki's world in better fashion. Absolutely read this book and stand in awe of the talent, the humor, the originality, and, of course, the chicken. And then realize that, as always, the fun and games are all part of Grey's trademark ability to keep you entertained while telling you something really important. Not gonna tell you what, though; you'll figure it out.
Profile Image for Iza.
1,104 reviews5 followers
April 1, 2019
I started it because I needed something funny and I knew Kendall Grey would deliver.

I didn't count on the feels it gave me - but I should have. The rock stars series I read by this author all gave me feels, so I should have expected the same thing from Runed, as well.

Loki, the Norse god a.k.a. The Trickster wakes up and finds himself reincarnated into a human. And a woman. Takes a bit for him to get used to this change, but he somewhat accepts it.

His/her sidekicks are both funny and swoon-worthy - looking at you, Gunner. He might be my favorite KG hero yet! And boy, did I love her kinky & wild rock stars!

The adventure and many mishaps are fun to read and I really look forward to more.

Recommend it. 4 stars.
Profile Image for Michelle VanDaley.
1,489 reviews
August 1, 2019
My review is based on the audiobook. Runed has got to be my fave listen of the summer! Loki's journey is exciting and comical - it is rare for me to laugh out loud while reading or listening but I found myself doing just that multiple times through out this book. The narrator is fantastic with distinguishable character voices that really bring the story to life. I loved everything about this book. It was my first from this author but definitely not my last. I can't wait to see where Loki's journey takes us in the next book! SQUARKK!!!
Profile Image for Marsha.
5 reviews3 followers
April 23, 2019
A really hilarious twist on Nordic mythology. Loki the mischievous, reincarnated as a girl? Sexy bod and all! Of course she likes black leather and high-heeled boots. Of course she meets sexy men and battles bad guys. And with a surprisingly touching relationship with a...chicken??? It’s a quick read, a fun adventure, and the funniest book I’ve read in years, all from the wonderfully twisted mind of Kendall Grey. If you like Christopher Moore’s books, you will probably like this one.
Profile Image for Angela James.
1,411 reviews9 followers
April 24, 2019
Loki is LIFE!

Bahahaha! This book was funny as heck and highly entertaining! I adore Loki and his chicken lol Humor and trickery and surprised at every turn. This story is so unpredictably perfect and I loved every single second. This was a new to me author and I can not wait to get my hands on more.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 106 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.