Start by marking “Under Lying” as Want to Read:
Under Lying

Under Lying

In this gripping novel of suspense, the disappearance of a couple’s baby daughter leaves everyone a suspect.

Susan has everything she ever wanted. A loving husband, an angelic daughter and the cottage of her dreams in County Cork. Her picture-perfect life seems too good to be true. And it is.

At a housewarming party with their new neighbours, her daughter Amelia goes
Audio CD
Published November 1st 2019 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Under Lying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Lying

Start your review of Under Lying
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
3-3.5 stars for now

I am having a hard time rating this one. I did not see the twists and double twists and triple twists coming. Also, it was a little disturbing - this is why I'm having a hard rating. You have grief, revenge, betrayal, obsession, a little madness, criminality, etc. I may rate it 4 stars later.

Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

It’s a parent’s worst nightmare: the disappearance of their child. One that literally sends shivers down your spine and has you reaching for your loved one, just to give them that extra cuddle. How can you continue living when your child disappears? How does life carry on? Susan and Paul are the ones who find out.

For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
Alison Wilson
Very poor. Unbelievable plot, poor characters, plot lines that made no sense (like her mother didn't know who she had married; she was surprised he husband knew herbackground; Jenny being sick at a party; deacon, just everything about the Deacon character made no sense...), I really could go on and on and on...like the dialogue between Susan and Paul, where he continually said "Susan" in every sentence. Nobody speaks like that, or maybe it was just the author clumsily trying to tell the reader ...more
Char
This was my Amazon First Reads pick for the month of October.

I initially was concerned because here is another First Reads book where I absolutely loath the people in it. With the exception of some back drop characters, there isn't anyone in this story that I could even remotely say I kinda sorta liked. Luckily you don't have to. Engrossing and well written, this story sucks you in and keeps you reading even with such unsavory people. It twists and turns and you find yourself pretty much
Leona
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Did you ever pick up a book to read and you know right from the first page that it’s going to be a cracker of a read ? Well this book did that for me . This is one of the best Psychological Suspense Thrillers that I have read in quite a while. It hooked me right in from the start and kept me gripped up to the last page. I have to be honest and say as I was getting nearer the end I didn’t want it to finish as I was enjoying it so much . This book has a super storyline and fantastic characters who ...more
RedRedtheycallmeRed
3.5 STARS

This does start pretty slow, but it's not a long book, and once the story gets rolling it's batshit crazy in a way that kept my attention.

Susan and Paul have recently moved from Dublin to the country. They're the kind of obnoxious parents who snipe at each other about their parenting: You're smothering her! You're not paying enough attention! Susan seems to notice these qualities in other people, but not herself. Susan and Paul aren't particularly likable, and both are less so as the
Peter Tessyman
Ludicrously Farfetched

I got this free with Kindle First Reads. It's not bad, in fact the first 50% is great. The second 50% however descends deeper and deeper into the most ludicrous, convoluted twist-a-thon that by the end I would not have been surprised if aliens did it, or even the ghost of Elvis.

Fun though.
Mary
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was crazy. Headed out in one direction, then all of a sudden we're going the other way...I couldn't put it down. My only negative was the highly implausible backstory, and the ending was a little unsatisfying. Still, this was one wild, over the top, twisty thriller.
Cassandra H
Finley
Oct 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Abysmal

Poli plotted, badly written, literally unbelievable, no character development ....what a complete waste of time... Both the authors and mine
Amy
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
It kept my interest but honestly, the characters were deplorable and the twists weren’t done in a way that satisfied me. And there were inconsistencies throughout the book that I just couldn’t let go. Not my favorite Kindle First choice.
M
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good suspense thriller. Slow start but picks up speed. Excellent twists w surprising end.

This book starts glacially slow from the POV of a self-centered woman living in an expensively renovated and beautifully furnished house with her husband and toddler daughter. The storyline is well-conceived and very carefully plotted, and there are multiple twists which are set up to develop organically. Surprisingly but happily, the characters change in many ways, but no one is truly who he/she appears to
SJB
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Annette
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read lots of psychological thrillers and this was up there with the best. It is multi-faceted with lots of intrigue and suspense but nothing could prepare me for the actions of the main character Susan and the motive behind what she does. The ending is absolutely mind-blowing and I certainly didn't see what was coming. It was a 2 am finish for me last night and quite fitting that it ended with fireworks going off in the valley opposite my bedroom.
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was hooked as soon as I started this book. Susan and her husband Paul are not long in their new home and what should be a nice housewarming to get to know their neighbours better, ends up being every parents worst nightmare.

My heart went out to Susan as her relationship between herself and her husband starts to deteriorate and she is left to fall on the goodwill of her new neighbour.

It’s hard to know what to say about this book as everything definitely isn’t as it seems. The story flicks
Kelly
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a tough one to rate. In some ways it was a 2 to me, in others it was a 4. And I received this free from Amazon Kindle First Reads.

There was so much about this book that I couldn’t stand. It started out really slow and bland, with dry characters who were annoying and unlikeable. They seemed to spend half the book making or drinking coffee, at all times, all day.

Sue was horrible. Favorite word was ‘smirk.’ She constantly wants to slap people, she’s mean, has ridiculous responses and
Amy Rennie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No no no no no

This was absolute nonsense garbage. Skip it and you'll save some precious brain cells, not to mention time. One star is too generous.
Linda Appelbaum
This book had an intriguing plot and fairly interesting, well developed characters and kept my interest. It was also very hard to believe and without spoiling the story, I won't go into specifics, but those things were big drawbacks for this book and my enjoyment of it. The story is about a young married couple with a 2 year old daughter move to the country and have a party to meet their neighbors. During the party their daughter disappears and is assumed drowned in the nearby lake. A strange ...more
Josephine
While it faulted with inconsistencies and jolty writing techniques, the twists upon twists are just something that I will always appreciate above anything else. It is really hard to surprise me, probably because I’ve read so many books, but by the end of this one I honestly had no idea what was going to happen.

Halfway through the book, what I thought was a simple who-done-it turned into a crazy, and disturbing psychological thriller. There is literally no one I trusted by the end of the it.
Nancy Hudson
This book went from decent to bad at the flip of a switch. It was promising for the first half and then I suddenly thought I was reading a different book! What the heck? The twist in the middle of the book was insane and the characters went from ok, not exactly wonderful to absolutely deplorable. It would have been acceptable had the story not had so many holes and unbelievable moments. The only reason I finished was because I had to know what happened to the child. I would have loved to have ...more
Emma Summers
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’d probably lean a bit towards a 4.5 for this book but only because I struggled to get to grips with the “then” and “now” chapters at the beginning and would’ve liked a bit more detail at the end of the book. All that being said I was gripped and did not see the twists coming!!!
Kayla Dumas
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazonfirstreads
I had so many feelings throughout this whole book! One minute you hate Paul and then you feel sorry for him same with Susan! You don’t know who the bad guy is and you never know what’s coming on the next page. A must read! So happy to have chosen this one for my October amazon first reads.
Charlotte Jones
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a well paced with some good twists and turns.
Caroline
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a read! UnderLying kept me up all night. A total mind-bender of a book, unputdownable and chilling!!
☕Laura
Ratings:

Writing 4
Story line 5
Characters 3
Emotional impact 4

Overall rating 4
Kristy Rice
Well written, extremely twisted, depressing story

Ok, I like suspense and complicated plots. However, this has to be one of the worse twisted stories I’ve ever seen. If you like thoroughly getting to know the main character and liking her and rooting for her only to have her change halfway or more through the book into a horrible person, enjoy your read. I can’t imagine how someone could even think up such a horribly depressing story, complete with murders of favorite characters and child abuse.
Concetta Kellough
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this book in about three days, which means it kept my interest. For keeping my interest, I usually give a book 4 or 5 stars. However, the author in this book introduces all the characters and then does a 360 on one of the characters, which makes no sense due to what's already happened in the book. I am assuming the author did this to throw out a surprising twist, but it doesn't make sense (you'll see what I mean if you read the book) so I have to give it a 2.
Dana Carmichael
I was enjoying this book even without liking any of the characters very much. I could see it ending a few different ways. The way she decided to end it made no sense to me. It’s like she wanted to have a plot twist that no one saw coming, but nobody would have seen it coming because it didn’t make any sense.
Carol Pickersgill
Oct 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm glad that this was a quick read.... Started and finished last night. Forced plot changes for the suspense - so so so not believable. Yuch.
Bran
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I dislike first person, but it didn't grind my gears in this novel as much as it usually does. I thought the pacing was well done. Bits of the mystery were revealed bit by bit to spur on my reading but not so infrequently that I found myself growing bored or impatient. It's a fairly quick but enjoyable read. I would recommend it to anyone who likes mysteries/thrillers.

***SPOILER***
I'm not so sure I like the last twist of Paul knowing who Susan was all along. I guess we are
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Drowning With Others
  • Little Voices
  • In the Dark
  • Here To Stay
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • Home Truths
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • What You Did
  • The Patient
  • False Step
  • The Midnight Wife
  • I Will Make You Pay
Janelle Harris lives in Kildare, Ireland with her husband and young family. Janelle enjoys books that screw with your head and mess with your heart. She hopes her books offer her readers a taste of that world.

Janelle rarely checks Goodreads but she does love to chat, so if you would like to get in touch check out janellebrookeharris.com
“We all change, don't we? Over time?' I suggest, picking up my coffee and walking towards the sitting room.
'Yeah, sure,' Helen says, following me. 'But do we relly want to? Or, do we feel we should?”
0 likes