Start by marking “Under Lying” as Want to Read:

Under Lying

In this gripping novel of suspense, the disappearance of a couple’s baby daughter leaves everyone a suspect.

Susan has everything she ever wanted. A loving husband, an angelic daughter and the cottage of her dreams in County Cork. Her picture-perfect life seems too good to be true. And it is.

At a housewarming party with their new neighbours, her daughter Amelia
Expected publication: November 1st 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Nov 01, 2019

Susan has everything she ever

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 1507 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 01 - Oct 31, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Under Lying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Lying

Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

It’s a parent’s worst nightmare: the disappearance of their child. One that literally sends shivers down your spine and has you reaching for your loved one, just to give them that extra cuddle. How can you continue living when your child disappears? How does life carry on? Susan and Paul are the ones who find out.

For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
    Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
    3-3.5 stars for now

I am having a hard time rating this one. I did not see the twists and double twists and triple twists coming. Also, it was a little disturbing - this is why I'm having a hard rating. You have grief, revenge, betrayal, obsession, a little madness, criminality, etc. I may rate it 4 stars later.

RedRedtheycallmeRed
    3.5 STARS

This does start pretty slow, but it's not a long book, and once the story gets rolling it's batshit crazy in a way that kept my attention.

Susan and Paul have recently moved from Dublin to the country. They're the kind of obnoxious parents who snipe at each other about their parenting: You're smothering her! You're not paying enough attention! Susan seems to notice these qualities in other people, but not herself. Susan and Paul aren't particularly likable, and bo
    Leona
    Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Did you ever pick up a book to read and you know right from the first page that it’s going to be a cracker of a read ? Well this book did that for me . This is one of the best Psychological Suspense Thrillers that I have read in quite a while. It hooked me right in from the start and kept me gripped up to the last page. I have to be honest and say as I was getting nearer the end I didn’t want it to finish as I was enjoying it so much . This book has a super storyline and fantastic characters who ...more
    Annette
    Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I have read lots of psychological thrillers and this was up there with the best. It is multi-faceted with lots of intrigue and suspense but nothing could prepare me for the actions of the main character Susan and the motive behind what she does. The ending is absolutely mind-blowing and I certainly didn't see what was coming. It was a 2 am finish for me last night and quite fitting that it ended with fireworks going off in the valley opposite my bedroom.
    M
    Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Good suspense thriller. Slow start but picks up speed. Excellent twists w surprising end.

This book starts glacially slow from the POV of a self-centered woman living in an expensively renovated and beautifully furnished house with her husband and toddler daughter. The storyline is well-conceived and very carefully plotted, and there are multiple twists which are set up to develop organically. Surprisingly but happily, the characters change in many ways, but no one is truly who he/she appears to
    Char
    This was my Amazon First Reads pick for the month of October.

I initially was concerned because here is another First Reads book where I absolutely loath the people in it. With the exception of some back drop characters, there isn't anyone in this story that I could even remotely say I kinda sorta liked. Luckily you don't have to. Engrossing and well written, this story sucks you in and keeps you reading even with such unsavory people. It twists and turns and you find yourself pretty
    Caroline
    Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    What a read! UnderLying kept me up all night. A total mind-bender of a book, unputdownable and chilling!!
    Jo
    Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    You move to a new area, reach out to make new friends and the worse moment of your life occurs.Your child goes missing.
    You read the abstract and know that this is not going to be an ordinary read as the parents have a past and you are not exactly sure what will transpire. Well climb aboard and experience the twists and turns of what is a real page turner which shocks and makes you question the rights and wrongs,whose camp are you in and ultimately who deserves the treatment they receive. ...more
    Linda Appelbaum
    This book had an intriguing plot and fairly interesting, well developed characters and kept my interest. It was also very hard to believe and without spoiling the story, I won't go into specifics, but those things were big drawbacks for this book and my enjoyment of it. The story is about a young married couple with a 2 year old daughter move to the country and have a party to meet their neighbors. During the party their daughter disappears and is assumed drowned in the nearby lake. A strange no ...more
    Cassandra H
    SJB
    Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Alison Wilson
    Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Very poor. Unbelievable plot, poor characters, plot lines that made no sense (like her mother didn't know who she had married; she was surprised he husband knew herbackground; Jenny being sick at a party; deacon, just everything about the Deacon character made no sense...), I really could go on and on and on...like the dialogue between Susan and Paul, where he continually said "Susan" in every sentence. Nobody speaks like that, or maybe it was just the author clumsily trying to tell the reader w ...more
    Tracey
    Under Lying

On their 21at birthday Susan's twin brother Adam is killed by a car.
    Now Susan is married to Paul and they have a daughter Amelia who is nearly three. The family have not long moved to Ballyown near Cork, when every parents nightmare happens. Amelia goes !missing.
    This is the first book by Janelle Harris that I have read, and I don't think it will be the lady.
    Under Lying kept me gripped from beginning to end. It is a cracking read with twist and turns galore.
    Highl
    Michele Amedee
    Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: completed-2019
    Peter Tessyman
    Ludicrously Farfetched

I got this free with Kindle First Reads. It's not bad, in fact the first 50% is great. The second 50% however descends deeper and deeper into the most ludicrous, convoluted twist-a-thon that by the end I would not have been surprised if aliens did it, or even the ghost of Elvis.

Fun though.
    Tania
    Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Read this novel in two days, couldn’t put it down

Beautifully written. Provided a compassionate perspective of psychological personality disorders while maintaining the edge of the seat suspense of a thriller as the true nature of the characters emerged one layer at a time. The detail that other reviewers complained of enabled me to immerse myself in the setting and in the protagonist’s point of view.
    Sandra Dell
    Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Under Lying

This book is a psychological thriller. About half way through it really threw me for a loop. I was genuinely surprised! Not many books do this. I couldn't put it down for long. I would recommend it to all but the youngest.
    Dalene W.
    Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Excellent thriller

Janelle Harris did an excellent job with this book! It has many twists and turns that I never saw anything coming. This books stands right up there with “Girl on a Train”.
    Vanessa
    Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: kindle
    I have mixed feelings about this book. It has a very slow start, to the point I wanted to give up, it only gets interesting from around chapter 27, unravelling at a nice pace. Unfortunately the ending was disappointing for me and I feel there were a few loose threads that needed closure.
    Laurel
    Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Holy ****!

I really don't know what to say. This book was really, really good. I definitely did not expect things to go the way they did, and I loved it. I would for sure recommend this book for anyone who enjoys thrillers with a twist. This one really did my head in.
    Alice Price
    Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    An unbelievable story

From the first page to the last page this book will keep your emotions running from HOT to COLD. The family dynamics are out of a first class physiological thriller.
    Elvira D Ryan
    Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This story is twisted

That is the only word I could think of to describe it.
    The main character is grieving for her twin brother, but what happens after is as bad as it can be.
    Sue is not really likable, but wow!
    The twist in the end only makes more twisted.
    Claudia
    A Mother

For me, this book spoke of motherhood; the selfish kind and the unconditional love kind. Birthing a child makes no one a mother. Also, this book teaches that grief can truly make a person crazy. It has a few surprises.
    Dorothy Stone
    Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Intense and different

Well written with believable characters and intriguing plots that keeps your attention and keeps you guessing until the end. Would recommend this for anyone who loves a good mystery.
    Fiona M.
    Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Page-turner

If you enjoy a good psychological thriller, this is sure to please! I usually do pretty well in guessing the ending, but I came nowhere close with this book. Excellent read!
    Susan P MongER
    Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Brilliant book

I really loved this book I couldn't put it down. Shame Sue got away with what she did. I suppose losing her daughter was punishment but not enough as she killed 2 people. Still a good book though.
    Lucy-Jane Lacey
    I thought it was ok, there was some good surprises but it didn't make me feel like I just had to finish reading it. It sort of felt like the second half of the book wasn't really thought about very much
    Gail
    Different

This book was different. Several the happenings in the book were confusing as it skipped between time frames. However, I never guessed the ending. It is because of the ending that I gave this book a 5.
    Deborah
    Great read

I really enjoyed this book. So many unexpected twists and turns. Includes interesting plot developments, along with great character development.
    Will look for more from this author.
    Janelle Harris lives in Kildare, Ireland with her husband and young family. Janelle enjoys books that screw with your head and mess with your heart. She hopes her books offer her readers a taste of that world.

Janelle rarely checks Goodreads but she does love to chat, so if you would like to get in touch check out janellebrookeharris.com
    “We all change, don't we? Over time?' I suggest, picking up my coffee and walking towards the sitting room.
    'Yeah, sure,' Helen says, following me. 'But do we relly want to? Or, do we feel we should?”
    0 likes