Start by marking “Under Lying” as Want to Read:
Under Lying

Under Lying

In this gripping novel of suspense, the disappearance of a couple’s baby daughter leaves everyone a suspect.

Susan has everything she ever wanted. A loving husband, an angelic daughter and the cottage of her dreams in County Cork. Her picture-perfect life seems too good to be true. And it is.

At a housewarming party with their new neighbours, her daughter Amelia goes missing
Published November 1st 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Under Lying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Lying

Start your review of Under Lying
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
3-3.5 stars for now

I am having a hard time rating this one. I did not see the twists and double twists and triple twists coming. Also, it was a little disturbing - this is why I'm having a hard rating. You have grief, revenge, betrayal, obsession, a little madness, criminality, etc. I may rate it 4 stars later.

Alison Wilson
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very poor. Unbelievable plot, poor characters, plot lines that made no sense (like her mother didn't know who she had married; she was surprised he husband knew herbackground; Jenny being sick at a party; deacon, just everything about the Deacon character made no sense...), I really could go on and on and on...like the dialogue between Susan and Paul, where he continually said "Susan" in every sentence. Nobody speaks like that, or maybe it was just the author clumsily trying to tell the reader w ...more
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

It’s a parent’s worst nightmare: the disappearance of their child. One that literally sends shivers down your spine and has you reaching for your loved one, just to give them that extra cuddle. How can you continue living when your child disappears? How does life carry on? Susan and Paul are the ones who find out.

For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
Charlee
This was my Amazon First Reads pick for the month of October.

I initially was concerned because here is another First Reads book where I absolutely loath the people in it. With the exception of some back drop characters, there isn't anyone in this story that I could even remotely say I kinda sorta liked. Luckily you don't have to. Engrossing and well written, this story sucks you in and keeps you reading even with such unsavory people. It twists and turns and you find yourself pretty much thinkin
Leona
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did you ever pick up a book to read and you know right from the first page that it’s going to be a cracker of a read ? Well this book did that for me . This is one of the best Psychological Suspense Thrillers that I have read in quite a while. It hooked me right in from the start and kept me gripped up to the last page. I have to be honest and say as I was getting nearer the end I didn’t want it to finish as I was enjoying it so much . This book has a super storyline and fantastic characters who ...more
Cassandra H
Peter Tessyman
Ludicrously Farfetched

I got this free with Kindle First Reads. It's not bad, in fact the first 50% is great. The second 50% however descends deeper and deeper into the most ludicrous, convoluted twist-a-thon that by the end I would not have been surprised if aliens did it, or even the ghost of Elvis.

Fun though.
RedRedtheycallmeRed
3.5 STARS

This does start pretty slow, but it's not a long book, and once the story gets rolling it's batshit crazy in a way that kept my attention.

Susan and Paul have recently moved from Dublin to the country. They're the kind of obnoxious parents who snipe at each other about their parenting: You're smothering her! You're not paying enough attention! Susan seems to notice these qualities in other people, but not herself. Susan and Paul aren't particularly likable, and both are less so as the st
Mary
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was crazy. Headed out in one direction, then all of a sudden we're going the other way...I couldn't put it down. My only negative was the highly implausible backstory, and the ending was a little unsatisfying. Still, this was one wild, over the top, twisty thriller.
M
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good suspense thriller. Slow start but picks up speed. Excellent twists w surprising end.

This book starts glacially slow from the POV of a self-centered woman living in an expensively renovated and beautifully furnished house with her husband and toddler daughter. The storyline is well-conceived and very carefully plotted, and there are multiple twists which are set up to develop organically. Surprisingly but happily, the characters change in many ways, but no one is truly who he/she appears to
Finley
Oct 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Abysmal

Poli plotted, badly written, literally unbelievable, no character development ....what a complete waste of time... Both the authors and mine
Amy
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It kept my interest but honestly, the characters were deplorable and the twists weren’t done in a way that satisfied me. And there were inconsistencies throughout the book that I just couldn’t let go. Not my favorite Kindle First choice.
Darinda
Susan and Paul are hosting a party when their young daughter goes missing. After searching the area and not finding the girl, everyone starts to assume the worst. In the days following the disappearance, Susan and Paul are both acting differently… and they are both keeping secrets.

Told from Susan’s point of view using alternate timelines (now and then). Susan is not exactly who she seems to be, and her story is slowly revealed as the novel progresses. Susan is not a likable character. She is obs
SJB
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annette
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read lots of psychological thrillers and this was up there with the best. It is multi-faceted with lots of intrigue and suspense but nothing could prepare me for the actions of the main character Susan and the motive behind what she does. The ending is absolutely mind-blowing and I certainly didn't see what was coming. It was a 2 am finish for me last night and quite fitting that it ended with fireworks going off in the valley opposite my bedroom.
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was hooked as soon as I started this book. Susan and her husband Paul are not long in their new home and what should be a nice housewarming to get to know their neighbours better, ends up being every parents worst nightmare.

My heart went out to Susan as her relationship between herself and her husband starts to deteriorate and she is left to fall on the goodwill of her new neighbour.

It’s hard to know what to say about this book as everything definitely isn’t as it seems. The story flicks betwe
Kelly
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tough one to rate. In some ways it was a 2 to me, in others it was a 4. And I received this free from Amazon Kindle First Reads.

There was so much about this book that I couldn’t stand. It started out really slow and bland, with dry characters who were annoying and unlikeable. They seemed to spend half the book making or drinking coffee, at all times, all day.

Sue was horrible. Favorite word was ‘smirk.’ She constantly wants to slap people, she’s mean, has ridiculous responses and reacti
Amy Rennie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No no no no no

This was absolute nonsense garbage. Skip it and you'll save some precious brain cells, not to mention time. One star is too generous.
Petra
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobooks, irish, ku
Maybe 2.5 stars. Kind of entertaining in a weird way because the story was so ludicrous. But ultimately, too many twists, plot holes and seriously unlikable characters. Also, rather depressing when you think about the child that's involved (who was supposedly 2 years old at the start of the book and was portrayed in a completely unrealistic manner regarding language and skill levels).
Nancy Hudson
This book went from decent to bad at the flip of a switch. It was promising for the first half and then I suddenly thought I was reading a different book! What the heck? The twist in the middle of the book was insane and the characters went from ok, not exactly wonderful to absolutely deplorable. It would have been acceptable had the story not had so many holes and unbelievable moments. The only reason I finished was because I had to know what happened to the child. I would have loved to have se ...more
Linda Appelbaum
This book had an intriguing plot and fairly interesting, well developed characters and kept my interest. It was also very hard to believe and without spoiling the story, I won't go into specifics, but those things were big drawbacks for this book and my enjoyment of it. The story is about a young married couple with a 2 year old daughter move to the country and have a party to meet their neighbors. During the party their daughter disappears and is assumed drowned in the nearby lake. A strange no ...more
Josephine
While it faulted with inconsistencies and jolty writing techniques, the twists upon twists are just something that I will always appreciate above anything else. It is really hard to surprise me, probably because I’ve read so many books, but by the end of this one I honestly had no idea what was going to happen.

Halfway through the book, what I thought was a simple who-done-it turned into a crazy, and disturbing psychological thriller. There is literally no one I trusted by the end of the it. Eac
MiA
Nov 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was eager to pick up this one as the description promised a thriller that was built around a missing daughter. Well, it did what it promised and somehow it turned out to be a complete farce that I was turned off by the time I reached "the farce".

To begin with, this is one of those books with a catchy first line that is meant to pull you into the story and make you ask questions. Did I play along? Yes, of course. But somehow, book using that exact technique to sell seem not to go beyond the fir
Donna McCaul Thibodeau
Susan has the best life. A loving husband, a beautiful daughter and a gorgeous cottage in Ireland. Until it all falls apart the day Amelia disappears. Someone is lying. But who is it? I really enjoyed this book. I thought I knew exactly what was happening, but the plot twist turned everything upside down. The author did a masterful job of hiding what was going on. The book is very well written, and if you like thrillers, I highly recommend it.
Emma Summers
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’d probably lean a bit towards a 4.5 for this book but only because I struggled to get to grips with the “then” and “now” chapters at the beginning and would’ve liked a bit more detail at the end of the book. All that being said I was gripped and did not see the twists coming!!!
Kayla
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazonfirstreads
I had so many feelings throughout this whole book! One minute you hate Paul and then you feel sorry for him same with Susan! You don’t know who the bad guy is and you never know what’s coming on the next page. A must read! So happy to have chosen this one for my October amazon first reads.
Charlotte Jones
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was a well paced with some good twists and turns.
Lindsey Walden
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liked it

I really enjoyed this book. You never fully know what’s going until the end. I just wanted to keep reading to find out how twisted these people are.
Caroline
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a read! UnderLying kept me up all night. A total mind-bender of a book, unputdownable and chilling!!
Teri
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars from me. Wow that was soooooo twisted! Mind blowing ending. What. The.heck. I'll pick up more by this author for sure.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Home Truths
  • Here To Stay
  • The Silence
  • Thief River Falls
  • Don't Make a Sound (Sawyer Brooks, #1)
  • Last Day
  • When She Returned
  • The Missing Sister
  • What You Did
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
Janelle Harris lives in Kildare, Ireland with her husband and young family. Janelle enjoys books that screw with your head and mess with your heart. She hopes her books offer her readers a taste of that world.

Janelle rarely checks Goodreads but she does love to chat, so if you would like to get in touch check out janellebrookeharris.com