Start by marking “And They Were Never Heard From Again: A Yarnsworld Tale” as Want to Read:
And They Were Never Heard From Again: A Yarnsworld Tale

And They Were Never Heard From Again: A Yarnsworld Tale

The woods are not safe.

Especially at night.

Felton takes his younger brother for a walk through the Magpie King’s forest, hoping to change his life for the better.
Things do not go as planned.

And They Were Never Heard From Again is set in Benedict Patrick’s Yarnsworld, and is the perfect introduction to the world readers are calling a ‘delightfully weird, dark
Published February 21st 2019

To ask other readers questions about And They Were Never Heard From Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And They Were Never Heard From Again

Start your review of And They Were Never Heard From Again: A Yarnsworld Tale
Marielle
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books-own
Wonderful short story, I loved it! Definitly makes me want to continue to read Yarnsworld books... Also, that cover is gorgeous!!
Timy
You can find this review on my blog, RockStarlit BookAsylum!

Disclaimer: you can get this book for FREE!

And They Were Never Heard From Again is the perfect entry into the Yarnsworld created by the brilliant Benedict Patrick. If this little dark gem can’t convince you to read any of his other books, then I don’t know what will. It has everything that makes Patrick‘s works so charmingly unique and irresistible. And him one of my favorite authors to date.

This novella is set in the Magpie King's
Filip
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Magpie King’s Forest was one of my favourite new places to inhabit last year, when I first came across Benedict’s work. It’s a mysterious place, dangerous during day and deadly at night, the Forest still unclaimed by the human villagers who live in its reaches. I’ve had my share of exploration of its great and dark confines, and yet have hungered for more over the past few months. Once Benedict Patrick gets in your head, you see, it’s difficult not to hunger after more knowledge of the ...more
David Stewart
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do not understand the title, but I liked this short. I was a little leery halfway through, thinking "if this is what this author does to children, this might not be for me," but I think I'm more interested in his novels now than before I started this. I get definite Bloodborne vibes.
Travis Riddle
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An exciting, quick return to Yarnsworld. Easily read within an hour, and it's free on Amazon, so why not take the plunge, especially if you haven't experienced any of Benedict Patrick's Yarnsworld stories yet?

This is a great short tale about the stories we tell, filled with a lot of excitement and creepiness in its small amount of pages. Some relateable characters, grotesque and interesting monsters, and Patrick's always-welcome style of fairytale prose.
Bart
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, fantasy
Actual rating: 3.50
Sharkie
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short, but absolutely brilliant. I love the Yarnsworld so much, and having a story come to life... it's great. It's thoughtful. And it makes an amazing short story.

It also makes me want to go back and read all the Yarnsworld novels.
Charlotte
I adore Yarnsworld, it’s easily sat in my top 5 fantasy series. A free Yarnsworld short story has made my year, never mind day!

Amazing short set in the Magpie King’s forest - gave me chills! Patrick is a gem of the genre. Creepy and fabulous world, characters that will stay with you and plot twists that keep you on the edge of your seat. That he can craft such an artful story in 40 odd pages says it all.
S. Naomi Scott
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

I’ve been seeing Benedict Patrick’s Yarnsworld books popping up on social media and review sites for a couple of years now, but despite having the first two sat on my to-read shelves for a long time I’ve never actually gotten around to reading any of them. Well, that’s all changed now, and if this short but thoroughly engrossing tale is anything to go by I shall certainly be adding the rest of the series to my priority list.

Weighing in at just forty-ish pages, this is
Suzannah
This short story was too small of a taster for me to make up my mind about the author and story world. The covers and titles of this series have always intrigued me, though, so I was interested to dip my toe in.

I liked the creepiness and eeriness of the story world, and I have to say that although IRL I have 0 interest in gardening I just love the story trope of the dangerous enchanted garden or forest. This one has serious Naomi-Novik-UPROOTED vibes, in the best possible way, although I'd be
Krow
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I haven't read the other Yarnsworld books, but since they're all pretty independent I started with this free short story as a sampler. I'll start off by saying that the world building and horror elements are fantastic. I love the small hints towards greater things in the world, like abilities called Knack, the god Artemis, the forest protector, and more. It leaves me wanting to know more about this Yarnsworld.

My biggest complaint are the two main characters. They are so utterly unlikeable.
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is a very nice piece of folklore set in the forest of the Magpie King. It’s quite horrifying, as all good folktales should be since they are warnings. These stories the villagers tell their children have power as well. Don’t be caught out in the forest after dark. When five year old Tad creates his own tale, it takes on a terrifying life of its own. Tad and his older brother Felton learn a deadly lesson when Felton’s disregard for the tales leads them into the dark of the forest at ...more
Clare O'Beara
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult-sff
This is a short dark fantasy about the wildwood, its creatures, people and legends. Two boys end up far from home and darkness is falling. They know strange creatures come out by night...

This is a spooky, perfectly human and understandable tale set in woods like 'Mythago Wood' or 'A Different Kingdom' where the landscape is a major character.

I have enjoyed all this author's books and recommend them to readers of any age.
This is an unbiased review.
Sabetha | Aconite Cafe
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The covers for this series are AMAZING. 100% why I picked up this book, but I've got to say, the story is even better. While it may be short, it's enthralling. Heartache, loss, & hope are big themes in this little novella. The main idea of this book which would be a plot giveaway, is so intriguing.
Cali Schmidt
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
it wasn't terrible. short, if it were any longer it'd get one star.

probably could've gotten another star except none of the characters were even mildly likeable. the main character touches sleeping women's butts? and scolded himself for not touching her boobs while she slept? creepy. even creepier that this was the only part that seemed to portray any sort of original voice or style.

not sure i'm willing to spend any money on the other books after this mild disaster, however, i refuse to believe
William
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a short story, I thought, just a quick read... then the next thing I know I'm a third of the way through the first Yarnsworld novel!

The story itself is a compelling, classical piece and a fun fairytale in its own right, full of heart, adventure, and reckless peril, but with this fairytale, Patrick launches the reader into his Yarnsworld setting, providing just enough detail about the Corvae people to make you eager for more. It doesn't feel like a teaser, but by the end I was excited for
Anna
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The more I read of Benedict Patrick's stories, the more he becomes one of my favorite authors. This story in particular grabbed me in the first paragraph, and didn't let go until I read the very last word. I can't fully describe how much I love this book, because it's honestly left me a bit speechless.
Dianthaa (Pia)
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
ATWNHFA is a short story set in the same forest as They Mostly Come Out At Night. It takes place over less than 24 hours, and things escalate quickly, well it's more of a constant crescendo of stress. I suspect it has a bit of information about how Yarnsworld works that will prove important later on. I think it can serve well as a quick read and intro to BP's work.
Jessica
3.5

I read this free short story as a taster for the Yarnsworld series. I didn’t really like the characters in this one, but the story set up a very interesting premise. I love reading about the darker side of folklore and fairytales, so I’m definitely looking forward to diving into this world of fantasy and horror!

((Also can I just say how much I love the covers for this series! ))
Deborah Dorsey
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank goodness for The King.

At some point in the book I knew I would have to skip ahead to see what happened to Tad. When I came to the part Tad and Bramble Man I stopped, put my tablet away and used my imagination as to how I wanted it to be..... I was wrong. Thank goodness for The King. Great read. For effects, I read this at night.
Simon
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully creepy short tale about a night journey through a forest where terrors lurk. It's a welcome return to Patrick's first Yarnsworld novel and the ending here is just the right balance of terrifying versus moral.
Sandra Burns
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great short read

Two brothers, go into the forest. They get to the next town. Older brother to see a girl, and give her a gift. She doesn't accept. The brothers, try to get home before dark. End up in a cave. Escape that, and they get attacked by the Bramble Man.
April Hyatt
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short story

I love the Yarnsworld stories - every one has such interesting and thought out characters and tales. This short but interesting story really hit close to me as I'd do anything to protect my little sister!
Donna
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very intriguing

This short story pulled me in from the get go and wouldn't let go! And must now dive into more of this world and Benedict Patrick's books. Highly recommend reading this especially if you love dark fairytales, fantasy, and horror.
Jon
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent introduction to Yarnsworld. It's a dark, creepy, horror-like fantasy tale. The author really built the atmosphere and kept me glued to the pages. I just don't understand the title in context to the story.
Kyle Dougherty
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good set up to an intriguing world.

This book does a surprising amount of worldbuilding in just a few pages. I'm now really anticipating diving into the series proper.
BookishFloss
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A lovely introduction into the Yarnsworld universe, I'd recommend this to anyone who is curious about the other books.
Lisa Greiner Maughan
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a short story set in the Magpie King’s forest . The author has a way of opening your imagination and bringing the story to life. It’s a dark fairytale. The writing is gripping and detailed.
Nils Odlund
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short but good

This is a short introduction to the Yarnsworld setting, and as such it works great.I read this in about half an hour, and I'm eager for more.
Vidmantas Bazevicius
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Small story that is bigger and darker then it seems , i loved it it was what Benedict Patrick dose good and for new reader it will show why you need to read more books in yarnsworld.

• The Jigsaw Blade (The Bizarre Blades, #1)
  • Lost Lore: A Fantasy Anthology
  • Beyond the Shadows (A Battleborn Mage Story)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Citrine's Monsters
  • Limited Wish (Impossible Times, #2)
  • Hero Forged (Ethereal Earth, #1)
  • Six Sacred Swords (Weapons and Wielders, #1)
  • Ioth, City of Lights (The Wildfire Cycle #2)
  • Shields in Shadow (The Silent Champions #1)
  • Breaking Chaos (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #3)
  • Dark Isle (Dark Isle Series Book 1)
  • The Imbued Lockblade (Sol's Harvest #2)
  • Defiant Guardians (Heirs of Destiny, #0.4)
  • One Word Kill (Impossible Times, #1)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Kellie's Diary #3
Benedict Patrick is from a small town in Northern Ireland called Banbridge, but has been living and working in Scotland since he moved there at the age of eighteen. Tragically, that was quite a while ago.

He has been writing for most of his life, and has been reading for pretty much all of it (with help from mum and dad at the beginning). Benedict's life changed when a substitute primary school
“A story is a dangerous thing, Felton Herder. We must value them, we must be careful with them. Set one loose on the world, and you lose all control over your own creation.” 0 likes