Start by marking “The Crafting of Chess” as Want to Read:
The Crafting of Chess

The Crafting of Chess

Nate wants more to life than moving from town to town, hustling chess with his con-man grandfather or wagering pick-up games online. A new immersive game opens up the chance to bring in a steady paycheck. Maybe enough to convince his grandfather to stay straight. Little does he know how his actions will change his life.

A GameLit coming of age story.
Published February 19th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Crafting of Chess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crafting of Chess

Start your review of The Crafting of Chess
GaiusPrimus
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: litrpg, fantasy, crafting
Great tangencial story

I love it when authors are able to surprise me. Ignore the cover and the book blurb and get this book.

It very nearly earned 5 stars from me.
Vroom
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A terrific book with a sympathetic protagonist and some of the best LitRPG I've read to date. It has better writing, more developed characters, and deeper resonance than pretty much anything I've encountered in this genre. It's not just gaming and the joys to be found there.

At its heart it is a political book, presented with a deft touch. It touches on topics of human dignity and family, abuse and dysfunction, trafficking and patterns of power. I reached the last page and was surprised not to f
Soo
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, reviewed
Mini-Review:

4 Stars for Narration by Matthew Broadhead
3.5 Stars for Game Concepts
2.5 Stars for Uneven Story Progression
3.5 Stars for Chess

The title & idea behind Chess is cool. The LitRPG story has potential. It has an interesting setting and just enough to give you a vague outline of what's going on. Light game mechanics and cool spins on how to work with a interactive game world that is driven by the choices that all players make within the game. The author lost me with the multiple tangents t
Alec Young
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good read

I really like the idea of you not trying to get in power but putting an NPC in power. So this is a different take on most lit RPGs. But it telegraph's the ending really hard so I can't really see myself doing more than three stars
Kupel Yosef
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: litrpg
One of my favorite LitRPG journeys to date. Do not be turned off by the cover in the slightest because this is some of the most creative usages on the theme of chess in any book I have ever read. This book has it all: game functionality, complex character, intriguing political plot, development, and an inner sense of self-reflection upon completion. Poses many interesting questions. I would say it a flawless book, but the ending did seem to be a bit rushed.... However! An utterly fantastic read! ...more
H Rez
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, litrpg
Lovely story very high entertainment value, can't wait for whats next.
Not very detail obsessive so don't expect stat tables or even every last detail or attribute following an item being crafted.
Some editing issues but its good enough to look passed those.
Arceius
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quick, Enjoyable, Different

The Creating of Chess avoids the tropes that plague this genre. A little Ready Player One, a little August Rush and one part all its own, it's a fun read.

The characters are believable and interesting. The world is fun. The perspective is different. A great first offering (from an author who needs to make an author page on Amazon so he can be followed).

The book as a few typos. And for whatever reason NPCs is NPC when plural... but the typos are few enough that they can
M
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was better than I expected but it could have been better. I don't care for cliffhangers the ending of this book seems rather abrupt. I would also have liked to see a bigger cast of characters who had meaning but everyone other than the MC seemed like throwaways.

I did enjoy how the MC's real life was interwoven with the game more often than not I don't really care what's happening in real life in litrpg books. I also liked that the MC was portrayed as this friendly but socially aloof and st
Jon Cook
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exceeded my expectations

What a great book. Needs a sequel or epilogue though...

One of the conversations early on in the story does rather spoil the ending (its a bit obvious).

Looking forward to more.
Rajkumar Pagey
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, science-fiction
I dived in this book without knowing that it is book 1 of a series.
I loved the book and before talking more about it, I want to voice my complaint. I've a staunch belief that book 1 should never end in cliffhangers.
The ending is a borderline cliffhanger. Will give it a 5 star regardless.

I loved the economy aspect of the game. And I always love crafting stories.
The Two Week Curse made me fall in love with characters who are spending hours doing actual work in order to attain greatness. But in th
Jenny Gaitskell
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I hadn't heard of the LitRPG genre before I spotted this novel on Twitter. I started reading it with curiosity, but was soon absorbed, impressed and thoroughly enjoying it.

Young Nate lives with his grandfather just outside the law. He makes a little money playing chess in the park and online, but has bigger plans for a better life. He enters the new immersion game Fair Quest, taking Chess as his name, and using chess skills like strategic thinking and creative problem-solving, along with a few h
Travis
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of the things I enjoy in a book, crafting, hidden quests, our main character going off and doing his own thing, and a lot more besides (including the author's trend of using the word besides when it should be beside).
This is definitely one of the better LitRPG books I've read this year, but if you're not a crafting kind of person, you may not agree.
Danny A.
Best crafter story in recent time.

The dynamic relationship between the players and the NPC was cool to read about and really realistic to how people would treat life like NPC.

Nate has been a blast to read about. He is smart, hard working and has distinct view of the world that I like. I loved his plan to win the game and his interactions with Jasper.

The ending was a real twist ending. Loved it
Rob Hunt
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Crafting of Chess is a wonderfully written, compelling story of a gifted kid called Nate. Nate is a likeable but imperfect, and believable character who captures the reader’s attention from the opening pages. In general, I enjoyed the parts of the book that were set in the real world more than those in the game (there was a bit too much crafting for me), but the story held my attention throughout. In large part, this was due to the well-developed characters and exciting, converging storyline ...more
Timothy Olsen
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gamelit-2019
In the real world, Nate is a hardworking teenager with a gift for the hustle, especially with betting on rounds of online shooters or playing chess at the park for money. He is cautious but optimistic, a product of having lost both his parents at a young age and being raised by his conartist grandfather. Nate has his eyes set on a new hustle: the virtual MMO Fair Quest. Players can raise an NPC companion to do their bidding, with the chance of winning 2 million dollars if their companion succeed ...more
David Rex
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book was a ton of fun, and frankly, it's one of my favorite fantasy reads ever. Other than Patrick Rothfuss, I can't think of another series where I immediately wanted to know when the next one would come out. The world was rich and interesting. Each plot twist kept me invested. I love a fantasy world that doesn't demand that the universe be at stake. I also enjoy the speculative aspects of the fiction that made the setting feel alive and complicated.

I found the read so satisfying, I immedi
Chip
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 out of 5
A gem of a crafting novel.

Thoroughly enjoyable lightrpg novel. It’s not heavy on mechanics, but the story and world building are positives. I liked the NPCs and their viewpoint is represented. The real strength is the main POV character. I found Chess to be compelling, personable and worthy to follow along.

I also liked the other POV characters and stories, although one of the two is kind of dropped without a lot of resolution. There are minor grammatical mistakes, but nothing too j
Craig Willis
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing gamelit story

I have to admit, I wasn't originally sold on the cover art, or title of this book, but I'd heard a few good things about it, so decided to give it a try, and I'm really glad I did.

The story focused on Chess, a gamer who focuses on crafting instead of combat, and the opportunities that opened up to him.

Chess and his grandfather lead a totally different life to most of the protagonists in gamelit stories, and that different perspective really sells this story.

I heartily rec
Wolkenfels
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: litrpg, favorites
A young man enters a fantasy setting MMORPG to craft and make money. A coming of age story that also reflects the conflict between the NPCs that live in the world and the player that acting ruthless towards the NPCs because even bad behaviour has no real consequences.
Wonderfully written. I could sympathise with the main characters a lot (yes plural -there are three characters we follow - but the player chess is the central point.)
I like how the game mechanics were handled. And now i want to read
Robert
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unique and amazing story

This is a unique and amazing story. I’ve not read one quite like Chess before, and absolutely loved it. I find myself both hoping for a sequel, and fine if there isn’t one. Its just that good and the story’s end point is near perfect. Yes, there’s still lingering questions, but I can completely see it being left as is. (Kidding, I really hope there’s a sequel!)
patrick turner
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book

This is a wonderful standalone novel that makes good use of its litrpg status. It features plenty of crafting aspect with a bit of mystery and a of genuine feeling of life mixed all together. I look forward to reading anymore books from this author and hope you enjoy this story as much as I have.
Chris Pelham
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great

Great book nice little twist at the end of the book. Only thing that detracted from it was some unnecessary words, use of the right word but wrong spelling of the word like "metal" versus "mettle." Also calling NPCs NPC when it should have been plural the entire book...

Other than those minor issues it was a great book. One of the better litrpg books I have read
Jacob T
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story

I enjoy the crafting, intrigue and player NPC reactions. I think that this story has a lot of different things to draw readers in. You have the struggling teen; a hinted at crime story; AI and player interactions that will make you rethink your own gaming experiences. All in all I highly recommend this book
wesley
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good I had to leave a review

Out of the almost a hundred litrpg books i have read this has been the only one to be so good i couldn't not leave a review, from the very first chapter the focus on the characters and crafting drew me into to a tale of absolute brilliance. If you like more story and people driven narratives this is a must read.
Jasmine Shouse
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cleverly crafted game novel

As an avid gamer, I love the idea of LitRPG, and I'm glad this was my first one. The story is intriguing, the "gameplay" descriptive but not overwhelming, and the characters personable and realistic. Unfortunately, the constant barrage of typographical errors felt distracting, which is the only reason this is not a five-star read.
Kory Ullrich
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good solid book. In my opinion, in the top 5 of the genre.

It's a crafting book, but not that boring. Would recommend it to everyone who's a fan of non harem , over powers characters
Olusunmade Ejiwunmi
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

OK this is without a doubt one of the best litrpg books I've read. The game world is quite different to the usual. Book 2 please
Katalin Miller
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining

Good juvenile fantasy. I liked the concentration on crafting and the general lack of gratuitous sex (a rare thing in litrpg today!)
Voromir Kadien
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome heart warming story

This book is the best crafting litrpg I have read to date. I can not wait for the next book!
Ellija
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid if predictable book

Decently believable character and well done npcs make this a pleasant of formulaic read. I will definitely be getting the second book.
Crazy for Young A...: New GameLit book 1 6 Feb 24, 2019 10:58AM

• The Mayor of Noobtown (Noobtown, #1)
  • Farmer (Light Online #1)
  • The Land of the Undying Lord (The Infinite World, #1)
  • Four: The Loot (The Good Guys, #4)
  • Dukes and Ladders (The Good Guys, #5)
  • Histaff (Skeleton in Space, #1)
  • Temper (Red Mage #2)
  • Forced Login (PrimeVerse, #1)
  • Legacy (The Crafter, #1)
  • Shadeslinger (The Ripple System #1)
  • Master of None (All Trades, #1)
  • Dungeon Bringer 1
  • The Fourth Realm (Ten Realms, #4)
  • Scamps & Scoundrels (The Bad Guys, #1)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • World's Strongest Farmer
  • Shade's First Rule (Divine Apostasy, #1)
  • Class-A Threat (Disgardium, #1)