Start by marking “The Fell” as Want to Read:
The Fell

The Fell

In an unspecified time and location, an unnamed boy is living what he feels to be an idyllic life in the faded and peeling Lido where his father is a lifeguard. He idolises his father – never more so than when he saves the life of a suicidal man – and he comes to believe that heroism is all.

The arrest of his sister Lilly later that summer brings the halcyon days to an abru
Published April 25th 2019 by RedDoor Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Fell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fell

Start your review of The Fell
Carmel Hanes
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 for most of the read, with moments of absolute brilliance:

"His own words seemed to make him angry and he stiffened and I knew I was looking straight at madness and madness isn’t a monster and it isn’t a stranger and it’s right there in the room and just a twitch away from all of us always and it can have high cheekbones and almond eyes and a strong jaw and sometimes it just comes from the corner of the room like a coil of soft smoke and you can’t stop it or fight it or waft it away..."

How to e
Marcus Hobson
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an unexpected and excellent read; enjoyable, fast paced and gripping, sometimes brutal and sometimes gentle, always darkly humorous.

This is a book about teenagers written for an adult audience. It is narrated in the first person and we never learn the name of the central character, nor the time or place in which the novel is set. There are some clues, but I don’t think they are important because the story is brought alive by your own experiences and you will have places that you recall that
Weaving Fiction ( Sj )
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, contemporary, owned
non illegitimus carborundum - don't let the bastards get you down

This was a book that took me back to feelings of my teenage years (which yes, okay, were not that long ago) but specifically, it gave me a reminiscent feel of a more relatable version of catcher in the rye (with a main character you don't want to throttle!)

The Fell, by Robert Jenkins is a coming of age novel set in an undisclosed location with a nameless main character. We follow him from his young years, where he spent his time

John Tell
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Fell is the real deal. It caught me from page one, and as soon as I picked up the beat of the voice I was hooked. This a very clever piece of story telling.
I am 22 years old, male, studying literature at university and when I was at school, I used to board. More relevant than that, I was young (!) and faced the challenges of youth and I still do. The Fell resonates, it moves and entertains. It is entirely, perfectly authentic.
The Fell will shock, disturb, inspire, inform, entertain dependin
Kaye
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I hope this book finds its audience. It's such an oddball mix of elements, perhaps Ulysses meets Lord of the Flies. At base, it is commentary on the world as seen by an unnamed boy of an indeterminate age in an unspecified time and place.

British spellings on some words and the author's nationality are the only hints offered for those readers who positively must know what it is they are reading.

"The Fell" is Feallan House, a residential school for boys with troubled backgrounds. In our boy's cas
Harry
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Fell was a fantastic journey into the unique literary mind of Robert Jenkins. With a style that is certainly not the norm, the book does require the reader to have a certain level of creativity and intellect to be able to break their pre conceived notions on how they expect a novel to be formulated.
Once you allow yourself to be absorbed by the pages however it is a riveting and intoxicating ride. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with The Fell and Jenkins’ storytelling and I can not wait for his
Charles Pauls
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
an outstanding, clever, subtle, thrilling and confronting novel.
The teenage protagonist slides towards the dark side and takes us with him in something far superior to anything I have read in a very long time.
Quite possibly this will be a classic on a par with any rite of passage novel ever written. Being published by a small press and by an author with no 'name' The Fell risks being overlooked but I believe one day the world will find it and wonder how they missed it first time around.
Read thi
Andrew Crofts
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be on every creative writing curriculum

This is a fabulous book and should be on every creative writing curriculum. Jenkins takes the reader deep inside the troubled head of the narrator and creates an entirely absorbing world. The writing itself is incredibly clever, funny, sad, disturbing and uplifting. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys immersive reading.
Joanne Tinkler (Mamajomakes)

When I finished this book I was at a loss as to what I would say about it so I had to leave my review for a day or two so that I could gather my thoughts. When I started reading I must admit that I struggled with the writing style, it took some getting used to. My advice is to stick with it, it’s worth it.

The main character of this story is an unnamed boy whose life is changed following an incident involving his sister. Events that take place after this shatter his world into pieces and he tell
Andi
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gosh, I’m quite surprised to see folk couldn’t enjoy this book because there was no name place or date given. Seems a strange thing to get caught up about when the writing, word play and characters are all so excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with The Fell, there was a lot I could relate too having once been a boarder too, it’s a truly unique experience for a young person, where the relationships you forge are everything. I look forward to hearing more from this author.
Janette Brown
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Robert Jenkins potent story of love, loss and power told through the lens of an unnamed teenage boy encourages the reader to think critically about the power relationships between adults and young people.

On the boys journey to manhood Robert invites the reader to observe the protagonists widening experience of love as the story shifts from family to friends to early romantic love.

At times graphic and brutal, but also full of love, warmth, humour and hope this gripping story engages every emoti
James White
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the first line of this book I was drawn into a world and a voice that I could not walk away from. This novel is a masterpiece to be discovered. What would seem to be a story about a boy, torn from his world and those he loves, is so much more. I have read many novels in my years, and this author is one of those rare gems that you look at in awe once discovered. It was akin to picking up a modern day Steinbeck, filled with characters and beauty and horror that you find yourself loving. This ...more
Karen
This is one of those books that the blurb will give you a very good feel for the style (and there is a lot of style here) of story-telling deployed. THE FELL I can best describe as a stream of conscious coming of age novel that's light on punctuation, and big on the angst, challenge and nail-biting heightened reality of being a teenage boy.

The blurb will also give you a clear picture of the plot of the book, but not what happens after his sister's arrest - starting out for shoplifting but gettin
Michael Batten
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't just like this book I really loved it.! It captured the bond between young men born into adversity so well. What I liked about the story was that neither the sex nor the emotion were overstated and you were left with a sense of authenticity and rawness. The peripheral activities which were not mentioned in the story were not necessary because the story was about enduring love and acceptance amongst boys who found themselves on the outside of life without the normal supports of family.

Th
Joanne Tinkler (Mamajomakes)
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Paul Jowsey
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Fell is a magnificent & inspiring piece Rob! I savour your style upon life’s easel.
I do not want it to end.
A truly beautiful offering, ones mind begins slowly but surely to consume the narrative with an ever increasing cockney accent, our secret!
Vickie
Apr 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I tried several times to start and to read this book, but I found that it was just too disjointed in the plot and the characterization for me to follow. It was like trying to find your way out of a maze and I just didn’t have the patience or time to try to figure out what the author was trying to do. This may have been fantasy, sci-if or regular fiction. I just don’t know because I could not figure it out. I cannot recommend this book to any reader until it is edited and re-written, hopefully gi ...more
Alan
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
‘Sunset was a final kiss of a day lived right through and a reminder before the dark came that the dreaded sorrow of night would pass and these colours would come again and again if you only looked for them and looked up.’

Robert Jenkins’ new novel tells the story of a boy, unnamed, who is torn away from his family when his sister is imprisoned for attacking a police officer. What we learn later, in a letter he sends to his sister Lilly, is what happened to the family afterwards that resulted in
Lauren
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The fell was a very captivating read with a unique writing style. From the beginning there was a slight sinister undertone seeming to follow the young male lead character. The book followed his difficult and trying development through adolescence and showed his ability to find beauty in a world where the odds were stacked against him. Although the writing style was not my usual preference I felt this book opened the door for discussion and it truly felt like being in the mind of the young boy. I ...more
Beth Younge
I went into to this with high hopes but i could not connect with writing style at all. What i managed to read was okay but it never gave me the drive to continue with the book.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Alex
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ambitious and successful, by and large. Not easy to read. Very moving.
Jo
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The opening chapter is outstanding, a powerful stream-of-consciousness which sets the characters and place. I love it.
I did initially struggle with the following chapters as the tale darkened and became more fragmented, but it cleverly follows the fractured psyche of the unnamed narrator.
Damaged, hearttwarming and challenging - these characters will haunt you.
Matt Gambrill
Lou
Jan 23, 2020

• Shuggie Bain
  • The Ritual
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Nemesis
  • The Cay (The Cay, #1)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World
  • Days Without End (Days Without End #1)
  • Imaginary Friend
  • The Memory Police
  • Elevator Pitch
  • The Last Samurai
  • Conviction
  • Wakenhyrst
  • Night Boat to Tangier
  • Lost Children Archive
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
Robert Jenkins was born and raised in Walthamstow, East London. Running wild was his heritage but he also wrote plays for the stage, novels and short stories. He wrote poetry from a young age and read them in the early days of stand-up poetry nights in London pubs. Straddling realities can happen in great cities. He travelled the world with his wife and children and back at home lived and worked w ...more