Start by marking “The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  62,777 ratings  ·  11,278 reviews
Fried Green Tomatoes and Steel Magnolias meet Dracula in this Southern-flavored supernatural thriller set in the '90s about a women's book club that must protect its suburban community from a mysterious and handsome stranger who turns out to be a blood-sucking fiend.

Patricia Campbell had always planned for a big life, but after giving up her career as a nurse to marry an a
Published April 7th 2020 by Quirk Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 25, 2021
    We're giving away 50 advances of THE SOUTHERN BOOK CLUB'S GUIDE TO SLAYING VAMPIRES in paperback! ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 19884 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 01 - Apr 30, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Shama Bole I wish I could know this about every book I pick up.. so thanks for asking the question Lelouch.
    Rebecca Does anyone else wonder why the rat scene did not cause more of a stir amongst the characters, especially Patty's husband? Does this kind of thing hap…moreDoes anyone else wonder why the rat scene did not cause more of a stir amongst the characters, especially Patty's husband? Does this kind of thing happen in the South? If this had happened at my house I would have burnt the thing down or me and my neighbors would at least be concerned about the sewer system.(less)
    The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham JonesThe Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady HendrixMexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-GarciaIf It Bleeds by Stephen KingThe Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James
    Best Horror of 2020
    148 books — 303 voters
    House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. MaasAmerican Dirt by Jeanine CumminsThe House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Kluneرواية عناة by ماهر دعبولThe Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
    Best books of 2020
    1,076 books — 1,492 voters

More lists with this book...

·  62,777 ratings  ·  11,278 reviews

Start your review of The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
    Kai
    Apr 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: owned
    People's refusal to see sexism and harmful representation when it looks them straight in the face is what led this book to have such great reviews. Some even applaud the (male) author for being so good at writing female characters and I sit here flabbergasted, trying make my brain comprehend how they came to that conclusion.

Let's get the obvious out of the way: I'm a white man so clearly my perspective is limited. I'm stating how I perceived the book and as someone who is super keen to read book
    Emily May
    Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: paranormal-uf, 2020
    Then she got in her Volvo and hoped Grace was right and this was all just a product of the overactive imagination of a stupid little housewife with too much free time on her hands. If it was, she promised herself, tomorrow she would vacuum her curtains.

I FREAKIN' LOVED THIS. I loved every single dark, funny, gory minute of this book. I'm in no way qualified to talk about best and worst books, but I can say with absolute certainty that this is my favourite book so far this year.

For the first
    Grady Hendrix
    Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    I really think that Grady Hendrix has written his best book yet, and he did it all while dressed as a penguin. Not a lot of people know this, but in the two years it took him to write SOUTHERN BOOK CLUB he wore the exact same penguin costume every day while he wrote. By the time this book was finished that costume was a rancid, disgusting mess and he had to have it pulled from his body by hooks and burned because it was a biohazard.
    Kat
    Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
    no!!!! i think the fuck not!!!

(shoutout to zac for journeying through the madness w me tho!)
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    My vote for Goodreads choice awards for horror genre!
    I truly deeply madly in love with this book! More than five gazillion stars! Somebody has to stop my fingers adding entire books of the author to my nearly collapsing Mount TBR! But I cannot stop with only one book. Can I?

They defined this book as mash up of Steel Magnolias-Fried Green Tomatoes and Dracula! No, sir: this is Stepford Wives and Southern Desperate Housewives meet True Blood!

This book is not easy, entertaining reading! It is so
    Miranda Reads
    Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    description
    Patricia Campbell remembers what life was like before she gave into motherhood - she was an amazing nurse and strong-willed.

But marriage changed all that. She's now a stay-at-home mom and with the way her husband treats her...it is a sobering thought, the life that's ahead of her.

But at least she has book club.

Every meeting they go over the latest true-crime or grisly detective book. It is the one time that Patricia feels like herself.

And then...HE moved in. The new neighbor.

At first it was
    megs_bookrack
    May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    Patricia Campbell has a full life, but she doesn't necessarily consider it fulfilling.

With the majority of her time being dedicated to her family, the one thing she has for herself are the evenings she spends with her friends, the ladies of the 'Murderinos' Book Club.

The Club consists of like-minded Southern housewives, who discuss True Crime and other less savory topics.

Cleverly, different sections of the book are titled after real-life True Crime books. These are based upon what the Club is r
    Claudia Ramírez
    Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
    But more like 4.5 stars. I LOVED THIS.
    Melissa
    May 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: 2020, not-for-me, dnf
    DNF @ 63%

Go ahead, call me a quitter. I can take it. In fact, I own it.

Touted as Fried Green Tomatoes and Steel Magnolias meet Dracula—unfounded comparisons in my opinion—this novel at times felt like too much, yet somehow not enough.

Much like the bored housewives within these pages who find themselves bogged down with daily chores, family obligations, child-rearing, and their sexist and controlling husbands, I yearned for more. The author loosely connects these women with a book club that take
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Yes, there were some gruesome moments, but the shiny appeal that this book brought was the portrayal of the resilience and underestimated power of the "common" housewife.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
    Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    UPDATE: $3.99 Kindle US today 10/25/20

I wanted to smack everyone in this damn book! But that ending was 5 star crazy don’t mess with the ladies!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
    Yun
    Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    I know I shouldn't judge a book by its title, but The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires got me real good. It sounds like a fun, lighthearted take on slaying vampires, mixed in with some Southern hospitality and book club joviality. And it started out that way. But then it went somewhere else altogether.

If I were to sum up this book with two words, it would be gory and gross. Every time I picked it up, I would read some passages on rats eating people alive, or cockroaches wiggling in
    karen
    May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: girls-gone-wild
    oooh, goodreads choice awards finalist for best horror 2020! what will happen?

"I am not sure what the appropriate gesture is to make toward the family of the woman who bit off your ear, but if you felt absolutely compelled, I certainly wouldn’t take food.”

the thing that i am always forgetting about grady hendrix is that although his books have these zany and hilarious premises and are all decked out in wink-nudgey cover design:

haunted ikea!

teengirl exorcism!—like Beaches meets The Exorcist, onl
    David Putnam
    May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
    I struggled with the rating of this book between three and four stars (so 3.5). I loved the opening, the voice of the character. The story was light and engaging. The characters are unique and the repartee real and enjoyable. I knew the premise of this book going in. I have always said that I will read anything-any genre as long as it is written well. Having said that I am not a big fan of vampire stories (although I truly loved The Passage and that was a vampire book of sorts). This author is g ...more
    Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews

YaHoo!! Hot Diggity Dang! This is one brilliantly done story!!!

So how does what seems like a stereotyped, sexist story about southern woman in a book club turn into a skin-crawling, blood soaking story? Then turn into a refreshing, powering, brilliantly houmous story with meaningful character development. Well, Grady Hendrix does some mightly fine footwork here, and I couldn't help but analyze this story.

This one is not my normal story and one that was not on my radar to read, but aft
    Johann (jobis89)
    Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    “Sometimes she craved a little danger. And that was why she had book club.”

FINALLY. I have found my first five star book of the year that wasn’t a reread or non-fiction! This book is basically Desperate Housewives set in the late 80s/early 90s and the housewives started a true crime book club, only for a vampire to move in down the street... sounds awesome, right?!

It’s a hell of a lot of fun, simply unputdownable, but it also tackles some more hefty issues that were relevant at the time, like th
    JanB
    May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

There’s a reason southern woman are called steel magnolias. Their outer gentility belies their inner strength and fortitude. Underestimate them at your peril.

This book has a fun mix of satire, humor, and horror. Patricia Campbell and her friends have a classics book club but it’s stuffy and few enjoy it. When a friend gives Patricia a copy of a true cri
    Debra
    May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
    "We're not a lynch mob, we're a book club."

This book had me at the description of it being a cross between Fried Green Tomatoes, Steel Magnolias and Dracula! What’s not to love about that?

Patricia Campbell gave up her career as a nurse, to be stay at home Mother raising her two children with a distant husband. Her book club was her one escape. It was a place where she could indulge her love to true crime and suspenseful fiction.

When a man moves in next door, she is intrigued but her interes
    Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

My favorite work of Grady Hendrix's is actually his nonfiction collection of essays, PAPERBACKS FROM HELL, which is a loving homage to the horror genre that covers everything from Gothics to ghouls. As someone who reads pulps on the reg, I was excited to see someone else who appreciated trash as much as I do-- there's something about finding an out-of-print gem that nobody has heard of and getting everyone excited about reading it... it'
    Holly  B
    Five Fangs and a Big Toothy Grin!

Vampire parody and a group of southern book loving housewives with some very strange claims about the new guy next door!

I took a chance on this one and happy to say that it was a campy, creepy and wacky good time!!

I was craving something different when I picked it up (thanks again local library) and once I got started I just couldn't look away and the writing had me hooked. I found the tongue in cheek humor so entertaining and the horror parts were more creep
    Sumit RK
    Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
    It almost rare to see a combination of dark humor with blood-soaked horror and spine-chilling thriller but The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires manages to get it just right.

Patricia Campbell’s life has never felt duller. Her family is busy in their own world and she’s always busy with endless chores. The only thing keeping her sane is her book club, a close-knit group of women united by their love of true crime. One evening after book club, Patricia is viciously attacked by an elde
    Sadie Hartmann
    Review originally posted to Cemetery Dance April 1st, 2020
    You might be a horror book consumer like me and have already bought into the Grady Hendrix brand. You come for the unique titles and clever packaging (My Best Friend’s Exorcism) but you stay for the alluring storytelling, memorable characters, and iconic cultural references.

Hendrix fans, this might be your new favorite. Within the first few chapters, I got a real sense of the author setting the pace. If you’re one of those book-bingers wh
    MarilynW
    Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: edelweiss
    I liked the writing of The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires very much except for the extreme, over the top, way too much (for me) gory and gross passages describing, in too much detail, rats, roaches (the worst!), spiders, blood sucking, like I never imagined it, horribleness. Picture a small, well to do community where no one locks their doors, the kids are safe playing outside until dark or even after dark, the men earn the income, and their high achieving housewives iron socks a ...more
    Nataliya
    Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2020-reads
    “I wanted to pit Dracula against my mom.
    As you’ll see, it’s not a fair fight.”
    I admit: this book tricked me. After the first few chapters I had it pegged as a lighthearted and delightful mildly satirical story about prim and proper Southern ladies banding together to defeat a supernatural evil over sweet tea and peach pie and something equally stereotypically Southern.

I was wrong. I did not see this coming.
    “This story ends in blood.
    Every story begins in blood: a squalling baby yanked fr
    Heather
    Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: adult-horror
    What an insane, intense and gripping horror novel.
    Bridgett
    Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    My first Grady Hendrix novel has me longing for more. This book was such a refreshing change of pace. I'm hooked.

I do, however, feel like I should offer some warnings to my fellow readers. While there are some laugh-out-loud sections, and while much of the book is lighthearted and fun, this book also delves into several dark, grisly, macabre places...and I loved every minute.

This was one of the most realistic portrayals of vampires I've read, and although I'm not from the South, the lopsided rel
    Tina
    This book was getting so much hype so I decided to check it out. It did not seem to be my regular type of reading material but the title intrigued me a lot and I listened to the Audio. What a magnificent surprise! There is so much packed into this little book and the audio was amazing! The narrator was exceptional and I loved her different voices for the characters and how she delivered the story. I was mesmerized! At times this was a humorous book with cute little Southern idioms and then it to ...more
    Gabby
    Really enjoyed this! I love the 90’s suburban mom vibes and I’m not even a huge fan of reading about vampires but this book was just so fun and creepy, and there were definitely a few scary scenes that have stayed in my brain since I finished it.

Here’s my reading vlog with my experience reading this book: https://youtu.be/J2LyhHZvGo4
    Char
    Evil in a small town is one of my absolute favorite horror tropes and THE SOUTHERN BOOK CLUB'S GUIDE TO SLAYING VAMPIRES aces it!

Set in the 90's, we begin with a southern lady’s book club, (surprise!), that turns from reading fiction to true crime. These are rather old fashioned ladies for the 90's, they're stay at home wives, some with children and they feel their lives are complete. Until one day, one of them, (Patricia), is attacked by an elderly neighbor. Patricia is okay, but the neighbor
    Danielle
    May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    2020 F.A.B. Bookclub pick # I.❤️. F.A.B.

This book, by title alone, is a campy good time. The southern ladies are exactly as you’d expect. They knock on doors with casseroles in hand and write down license plate numbers from cars they don’t recognize in their neighborhood. Everyone knows everyone else’s business. So, you add a creep vampire into their world and of course they’re going to handle it. There are some creepy crawling bits and it definitely had the B movie raunchy vibe. It was as ente

• The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
    • Dear Scarlet: The Story of My Postpartum Depression
    • The List of Things That Will Not Change
    • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
    • Kill Creek
    • Doomsday Clock, Part 1
    • The Girls Weekend
    • Something to Talk About
    • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island, #4)
    • Snowball
    • Agent Running in the Field
    • Farscape: Scorpius Vol. 2
    • Farscape: D'Argo's Lament (Farscape Uncharted Tales #1)
    • Where the World Ends
    • Dead Voices (Small Spaces, #2)
    • You Let Me In
    • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
    • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
    Grady Hendrix is the author of the novels Horrorstör, about a haunted IKEA, and My Best Friend's Exorcism, which is like Beaches meets The Exorcist, only it's set in the Eighties. He's also the author of We Sold Our Souls, The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires, and the upcoming (July 13!) Final Girl Support Group!

He's also the jerk behind the Stoker award-winning Paperbacks from Hell,

Articles featuring this book

“Sometimes she craved a little danger. And that was why she had book club.” 48 likes
    “He thinks we’re what we look like on the outside: nice Southern ladies. Let me tell you something…there’s nothing nice about Southern ladies.” 48 likes