Start by marking “Akela” as Want to Read:
Akela

Akela

Forrest Gump meets Woody Allen in this endearing story about a sea turtle seeking to be reunited with the love of his life.

When Akela is separated from his migrant soulmate, Kalea, he will do anything to be reunited with her. Journey with this charming and neurotic sea turtle as he crosses paths with celebrities, politicians, and other moments in history with unbreakable
Expected publication: June 4th 2019 by BHC Press

To ask other readers questions about Akela, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akela

Carolyn
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
Many thanks to NetGalley and BHC Press for this delightful ARC. Over time our hero encounters great dangers, tragedy, melancholy, stretches of boredom during his adventures. The story is at times heartwarming, and sometimes heartbreaking, as he strives to find his mother, discovers he has a brother far away, and longs to return to the love of his life. He encounters dreaded enemies, is uplifted by friendships of various species during his journeys.

I must mention that this fascinatin
☼Shannon☼
I'm not sure where to start so I'm just going to spit it out: some of the things that happened were unbelievable and the constant philosophizing annoyed me.

After being separated from the love of his life, Akela spends a good portion of his life trying to get back to her. The things that happen to him get more and more fantastical as the story goes on. Am I really supposed to believe he caused Watergate? Also, there are animals that have sworn off eating meat.

Akela has way too much self reflectio
Mariana
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an epic, heartwarming story about a hero who journeys into the unknown to reunite with the love of his life. If you're a romantic old soul looking for a psychedelic read, packed with historical events, and the underwater version of Forrest Gump, this is the perfect book for you!
I loved every beat of Akela's adventures throughout the centuries, as well as his inner philosophical thoughts about his life-changing experiences.
Paul
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story with some Gump-like aspects. This kind of story, from an animal's perspective, can be very tricky to pull-off, but I thought the author mostly achieved his goal successfully. This book will not be for everyone due to the amount of suspected-belief required. But I liked the narrator, and the story overall. If you're seeking a light story with some adventure and humor, this might fit the bill.

Thanks very much for the advanced copy for review!
Corinne Sparks
This was an odd one for me. Its like half a philosophical outlook on life... Half a story about a turtle.. Half... Something else?
We experience Akela the turtles life, from birth onwards. The trials of being a turtle. Which is a pretty cool idea, but I'm not sure it translated. The voice of Akela is a bit whimsical and too forthright? I'm not sure how to describe it. But it didn't feel like it fit the character.
I also found the more fantastical events that happen to Akela too farfetched, and it
Sinead
Apr 15, 2019
Nilton Teixeira
Feb 23, 2019
Ryan Uytdewilligen Bio
Ryan Uytdewilligen was born in Lethbridge Alberta and raised on a farm just north of the city. It was there that his family and surroundings would give him countless stories and inspiration for novels and screenplays. He grew up participating in 4-H as any good country kid should and graduated from Kate Andrews High School with aspirations to write and perform.
He studied Broa