Start by marking “Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer, #1)

Call Down the Hawk

(Dreamer Trilogy #1)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  18,628 ratings  ·  4,083 reviews
The dreamers walk among us . . . and so do the dreamed. Those who dream cannot stop dreaming – they can only try to control it. Those who are dreamed cannot have their own lives – they will sleep forever if their dreamers die.

And then there are those who are drawn to the dreamers. To use them. To trap them. To kill them before their dreams destroy us all.

Ronan Lynch is a d
Published November 5th 2019 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Call Down the Hawk, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Marusa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  18,628 ratings  ·  4,083 reviews

Start your review of Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer, #1)
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
“There was something else afoot that October, something else stretching and straining and panting, but it was mostly as of yet unseen.”

description

Call Down the Hawk didn't hit like a freight train, nor did it call for any fantastical shocks... The true magic of this novel is the fact that it is a subtle triumph. Stiefvater wrote a tour de force that caused me to lose my breath through its soft complexities.

_______________

Tamquam, Alter Idem
Without giving much away, Call Down the Hawk explores
Miranda Reads
IT'S HERE AND THE OWLCRATE EDITION IS FLAWLESS

UPDATE

This book is everything I ever wanted and more.
description

New Month, New Tierlist BookTube Video is up - click the link to check out my August Reading Vlog!
The Written Review
You are made of dreams and this world is not for you.
Ronan Lynch thought he was alright with staying at the Barns but what once felt like freedom is becoming increasingly more like a cage.
But joy is a small, tenacious crop, especially in soil that hasn't grown an
Maggie Stiefvater
Feb 06, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
"CALL down the hawk from the air;
Let him be hooded or caged
Till the yellow eye has grown mild,
For larder and spit are bare,
The old cook enraged,
The scullion gone wild."

"I will not be clapped in a hood,
Nor a cage, nor alight upon wrist,
Now I have learnt to be proud
Hovering over the wood
In the broken mist
Or tumbling cloud."

"What tumbling cloud did you cleave,
Yellow-eyed hawk of the mind,
Last evening? that I, who had sat
Dumfounded before a knave,
Should give to my friend
A pretence of wit."
- w. b. ye
chai ♡
me: I'm OBSESSED with this book

me: [remembers that, according to Plutarch, Alexander the Great slept with the Iliad beneath his pillow, alongside a dagger, presumably so that he could murder anyone who tried to steal his copy]

me: nevermind, I love this book a normal amount
Kai
Aug 08, 2016 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
my dilemma:

1. these stupid covers do not fit the original series so I really really really do not want to buy them.
2. I've come to the point where I feel uncomfortable when female, straight, cis-writers make fat cash of stories that just aren't theirs to tell so I really really really do not want to buy them.
(and most authors who write these bestselling gay series have a history of appropriation and other problematic bs ((despite all of that - and I hate myself for it - I still really really rea
Melanie

1.) The Raven Boys ★★★★★
2.) The Dream Thieves ★★★★★
3.) Blue Lily, Lily Blue ★★★★★
4.) The Raven King ★★★★★
4.5) Opal ★★★★★

Jesus... Maggie Stiefvater's mind (and prose). 11/10.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Ronan Lynch is everything!

“I think it means I’m a raven.
That makes you a raven boy.”

-The Dream Thieves.

"Squash one . . squash two . . squash three!!"

AAYYYYYYYYYYY!!

^^( LMAO! GET IT? )^^

I am honestly not even surprised to hear about this.
Extremely happy? Hell yeah!
Surprised? Not really.
It's no secret Ronan has always been Maggie's favorite, and when she first started writing TRB it was meant to be about Ronan and his dreams. I think it's time to find out what The Raven Cycle was or
Claudia Ramírez
SAYING THIS IS ONE OF MY MOST ANTICIPATED BOOKS ---EVER--- IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.
C.G. Drews
[read 2 | oct 2020]
The definition of mistake is rereading this before the sequel is ready 😩 I love this book so deeply and fiercely. It also is such a study in capturing the abstract with solid words, and I love beautifully, majestically peculiar it is. All utterly enhanced on audio too, I might add. I listened to it an intense amount of the weekend and the immersion was both beautiful and aching. I love it and it hurts.

also Adam 🥺miss that disaster.

[read 1 | november 2019]
[grasps fruitlessly fo
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Cool. Fun to exist in this perpetual state of agony. I’m fine.

Update 9/26/19:
Image

Just popping back in a few weeks before publication to say that I think this is so worth the wait. This is ambitious, original, and darkly fascinating. It offers so much character development and is occasionally just batshit crazy with its worldbuilding and fantastical elements. Once you start reading it is impossible to look away. I can't wait to talk about this book nonstop with all of you soon.
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, 2019-books
oh man....😭 😭 😭

_____

update: FEBRUARY 6, 2019

so the cover....

we finally have a cover....

AND A FUCKING RELEASE DATE .

so the cover....

we finally have a cover....

and i don't really like it.

but im still going to fucking love this book.

i know it.

Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |

__

um, hello??! 911 we have an emergency?!

we.

date.

or.

cover.

yet .

i would like to read this book sometime in 2019 pls.

if this gets push backed to 2020......

(deletes goodreads, BET)

___

I'M
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
ASDFGJIJLMNÖSSKAKDKSJSJASKKDKDKEAK!!!!!!!

WE HAVE A COVER AND A RELEASE DATE!!!
5th November 2019 !!!!

OMG!!! I am freaking out here!!
Yes! Yes! YESH!!!! 😍😍😍

*runs around hyper for eternity*

Maggie you perfect and sneaky human being!! This is the best early birthday present ever!! 😁❤

P.S: Of course we have a title too! How could I forget about the title!? I'm so freaking excited!!!

______________________

An entire series!!! AN ENTIRE SERIES!!!???

That means...

Three books about... a
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Here's the awesome CALL DOWN THE HAWK BOX FROM OWLCRATE! Let me just say, I'm so glad they got their special edition cover! I love theirs more than the original cover! Click on the GOODIES LINK to see the awesome GOODIES!

THE GOODIES LINK

Simply marvelous, but I figured it would be 😘

**************************************

Omg!!! What!!! I didn’t know this was a thing until I just got the email!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Uhh... we have a title? And a cover? AND A RELEASE DATE?!?!

Did I just pre-order this almost a year in advance? You bet yer butt I did.

---

Sometimes I'm having a bad day and I just randomly remember that this is going to exist someday and it brings a tear of joy to my eye
Maggie
Aug 08, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
God said Adam and Ronan not Adam and Eve

NReads
Feb 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
this cover is cancelled
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never read something so beautiful, magical, creative, original, depicted all those vivid dreams adroitly and meticulously! You may visualize everything written in the words with the help of them you may use entire five senses to open your heart to those unimaginably fantastic dream sequences!

This is creating a remarkable portrait with the power of vocabulary instead of using paint and brushes. This is creating a memorable song with the talented mind without using any notes and instruments.

I
jessica
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
‘you are made of dreams and this world is not for you.’

reading this book made me feel like i was dreaming someone elses dream, a dream that only makes sense to the dreamer and i was the intruder. thats really the only way i can describe my experience.

from the first page, the first word, i could tell this story is means something to someone. stiefvater has always had a dreamlike quality to her writing, but this story made me feel like i was inside her sleeping mind and i just couldnt quite g
amy ☂︎
Dec 08, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
my fervent desire to read this vs my insurmountable disgust about having to spend money on a cover that ugly. who’s going to win? cast your votes NOW
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
RTC

——————

A RELEASE DATE OH MY GOD SOMEONE HOLD ME

Stiefvater's Instagram:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think this woman understands the effect one vague instagram post has on my psyche. I NEED THIS BOOK

(And is this about Ronan finally using a phone???)

(I spy my boy, Adam ❤️)

(Also, is this now called The Dreamer's Trilogy? Because I can get behind that!)
Unknown Reviews
Over the past year, I’ve become quite emerged in Maggie’s Stiefvater’s writing, enough to say The Dream Thieves has become one of my favourite books of all time. Unfortunately, since said book, I’ve felt a downward trend in what once contained a lot of love and magic for me.

Call Down The Hawk is a spin-off focused on Ronan Lynch – a boy with the ability to bring anything he wishes back from his dreams – and how he is coping without his friends, who have gone on a year-long road trip, and his b
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
i love ronan so much.................................................... but i also dont trust maggie at all..................................................... im gonna.............. make a do it for him board i guess
also i dont like the cover much

wish i could reread trc but im afraid to
Elle (ellexamines)
do I generally really dislike when authors extend series past their endings and worry that they will be ruined for me? yes. do I understand that my adoration of this series is inextricably attached to the fact that I read it at a period of my life where two of these characters made me understand things about myself I didn’t yet know, and the series as a whole became my favorite thing ever specifically because of this? yes. am I going to read this anyway? yes.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

so like......
Nat
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“You are made of dreams and this world is not for you.”

bookspoils
Source

Right when I thought my Ronan Lynch obsession had reached its peak, Call Down The Hawk comes out.

Please tell me how it's been three full years since The Raven King came out and concluded one of the best series out there? It's unreal. Time is just an illusion.

I still remember cracking open the first book, The Raven Boys, waiting to see if I’ll be impressed. I was completely hooked on the first line. And I sped through the series in
Zaira

OMIGOD, OMIGOD, OMIGOD

WHAT I'M HOPING FOR:
1.More Pynch (They're endgame, they don't suffer, they explore their relationship and in under no circumstance do they break up.)
2.Ronan addressing his issues.
3.More Lynch brothers
4.Lynch brothers bonding
5.Ronan/Adam/Opal scenes
6. Did I mention more Pynch?!?!

nova ryder ☼
well that was a wild ride. i don’t know what to say except reading this felt like coming home. also. i would still die for ronan lynch.
Maxwell
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, ya
[6/10]

Let me say this first: I love The Raven Cycle. I think the characters, plots, and atmosphere with her writing that Stiefvater crafted in that series is phenomenal and unmatched by many YA (or even non-YA) series out there.

I went into this book with basically no knowledge of what it was other than a spin-off of TRC that followed Ronan, presumably after the events of TRC. That's what this book is about, for sure, but it's so much more. And it wants to be so much more than the Raven Cycle, wh
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
I didn't think that there could be a better dream than Chainsaw.
And then this happened.

My fave character gets a trilogy and trust me, the customers at the restaurant I was in when I heard know all about it (my BF was pretty confused, so OF COURSE I had to explain who was Ronan and why it was FREAKING FANTASTIC XD) *hides*
Emma
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
4.5/5 Stars

It was so nice being back with some of the characters I loved from the original Raven Cycle series.

I didn't think I was going to love a story that focused only on the Lynch brothers because I thought that everything between them was pretty much said in the previous series, but how wrong I was!
The bonds that keep them together are so strong, stronger than so many things. It's mesmerizing to read about them and how much love they have for each other. Yes, I'm also talking about Decla
Hamad
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“Adam.
Ronan missed him like a lung.”

The Raven Boys ★★★ 1/2
The Dream Thieves ★★★★
Blue Lily, Lily Blue ★★★★ 1/2
The raven King ★★★ 1/2
Opal ★★★
Call Down the Hawk ★★★ 3/4

First, this review is spoiler-free for this book but if you have not read TRC and planning to then this may contain some spoilers for that series.

★ I picked the above quote for a reason. Many readers think that this book is about Ronan and Adam -I thought the same- and I think I

• Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
  • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)
  • The Foxhole Court (All for the Game, #1)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Cemetery Boys
  • The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky (Montague Siblings, #1.5)
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • If We Were Villains
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • King of Scars (King of Scars Duology, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been formed by a desire to leave a mark, resulting in spray-painted cars, sharpie-covered computer printers, ink-splattered walls, and stories told in books, in magazines, and on stages. Maggie Stiefvater l

Dreamer Trilogy (3 books)
  • Untitled (Dreamer Trilogy, #2)
  • Untitled (Dreamer Trilogy, #3)

Articles featuring this book