Start by marking “Voyage of the Frostheart” as Want to Read:
Voyage of the Frostheart

Voyage of the Frostheart

(Frostheart #1)

The whimsy of Nevermoor meets the mythical world-building of Neil Gaiman in this unlikely hero's quest to find his parents--and find the home he's always longed for.

In a snow-covered land where monsters rule the icy tundra, only song weavers hold the power to control these vicious giants. But for centuries song weavers have been the subject of suspicion--how can those who
Published November 5th 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published October 3rd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Voyage of the Frostheart, please sign up.
Jade This book is amazing for kids of all ages. I would say children of 7+ would get a lot of enjoyment from this book.…moreThis book is amazing for kids of all ages. I would say children of 7+ would get a lot of enjoyment from this book. (less)

Start your review of Voyage of the Frostheart
Gavin
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite children's book since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

That's a huge claim to make, but hear me out. I read a lot of children's books / middle grade and it's quite possibly my favourite type of book. What I love about children's books is the whimsical and magical nature about them, all the while demonstrating to us the importance of family and friendship - as well as believing in oneself. 'Frostheart' by Jamie Littler demonstrates all this and more, with a colourful cast
Sara
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Gavin
4.5 stars.

Frostheart follows the story of Ash, a young boy with the ability to 'song weave', and communicate with the dangerous Leviathan monsters who hunt and destroy the people of his world. Song weaving is forbidden within his isolated Stronghold, and on discovering his secret, he is forced into exile aboard the Frostheart, a Pathfinder sledge manned by a crew of misfits who travel between Strongholds delivering supplies and fighting the Leviathans amongst the barren and dangerous frozen
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
*Rated 4.5/5 stars!
rachel ☾

pitching a book as "Nevermoor meets Frozen with a dash of How to Train Your Dragon" is bound to set some Lofty expectations. it was adorable and the world-building was top notch, sure, but i was a little underwhelmed

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler)
Prissewis
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it. I felt completely in love with the world, Ash and the rest of the Frostheart crew! So unique! And those illustations! I can’t WAIT for the sequel! ...more
Iceyreads74
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-in-2019
This was such a fun-filled and lovable novel! I loved the adventure, the jokes, and especially the loyalty and friendship! Ash is adorable, and I love everything about him! I cannot wait to get my hands on a finished copy to see the rest of the illustrations that were not yet made for this proof, and I also look forward to the next book in this series (though I know it will be quite a while). I thought the writing was so magical and imaginative that I was completely pulled into the story every ...more
Thebooksofwonder
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Great story and I love the writing style. The only reason it isn't an 5 star rating is because a lot of things a predictable.
Sophie (RedheadReading)
Wonderful! The worldbuilding was brilliant and the cast of characters were just lovely.
Victor The Reader
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
A touching and exhilarating journey that does feel a little too long but makes up with its cast of characters and cartoonish art. B+ (83%/Very Good)
Maia
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
'Clinging to a painful past will only poison the present. But the future is still there to be made'.

***MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD***

It's November. What better time to snuggle by the space heater with a middle-grade book about snow and adventures and magic?
Actually, to tell you the truth, I had to read Frostheart for work, and probably wouldn't have thought to pick it up otherwise, but all the same. November is a good time for cosy book reading.

This book, with its colours and its artwork, is
Dreximgirl
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really really enjoyed this book, the characters, story and setting was all amazing. I especially appreciated the beautiful illustrations as well which were in a perfect balance.
Katie
I really really enjoyed this.

This is a polar fantasy that follows our main protagonist Ash. Ash's parents have been missing for years and he yearns for their company. He lives in a place that is plagued by these monsters called Leviathans. Certain people have an ability to communicate with these creatures, but most societies in this world view these Song Weavers as evil and bad. Ash just so happens to be one of these Song Weavers and is ostracized by his community.

The writing in this isn't
Amanda Moller
I picked up this book because it came highly recommended, and I can totally see why people love it! The setting was so unique, atmospheric and the characters were charming. I am giving it three stars because although I enjoyed my reading experience I felt like it lacked passing. The beginning was far too slow and the climax was not properly built. I also felt like the book was angsty all the way through. Usually, in books like Harry Potter and Nevermoor the child is mistreated but soon discovers ...more
Dragon-Gabrielle Stone
This was such a cute and heartwarming middle grade. Full of adventure and great messages.
Definitely one of the better middle grades I have read in the past year and a bit. This is about a young boy who is both different because of his natural gifts but also isolated them at the same time. It is about taking the disciplined path rather than the easier path. It is about doing what you know is right even though an influential figure in your life is telling you do something very wrong. There is SO
Sabrina
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booktails
Ash's parents are pathfinders and left the stronghold on a mission when he was a child, but they never returned. He's sure they are still alive somewhere and has never given up hope that he would see them again. All his life he's been hiding his urge to sing, as Song Weavers are feared and reviled, despite having the power to fight back against the monsters that attack them every time anyone leaves the town.
I enjoyed the book but it didn't really keep me gripped until the last few chapters when
BetweenLinesAndLife
If Frozen and Moana had an equally precious, pure, fierce, funny, adventurous baby!

I truly think that this is simply an objectively fantastic book. The world building is incredible and rich, the characters precious yet flawed in such a realistic sense, they fail and they learn and most importantly they do it together.
Great messages are told and it still happens to be super funny at times to. I loved the different dynamics between different characters and the illustration really helped develope
The Book Sheelf
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a book is compared to Nevermoor, How to Train Your Dragon and Frozen, three things that make me happy, it’s hard not to be dubious.

Ash is an unlikely hero. Feared by the villagers in the small, isolated stronghold his parents left him in, the only person who can be found to raise the troublesome lad is a similarly outcast, very gruff yeti by the name of Tobu. Ash longs for friendship, family and adventure and clings to the lullaby his parents left for him despite the villagers’ fear of
Liam
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one to look out for. A fantastic voyage on a large sleigh - ship across a snowy wilderness, a diverse crew of creatures, a mysterious treasure hunt, illustrated throughout.

At times it reminded me of Mad Max, with isolated settlements surviving through traders daring to cross the empty expanses. There are touches of the Force, and the lure of the Dark Side, to it, but Jamie has created a fascinating world of his own.

The illustrations in my proof are unfinished, but already it's
Sophie Cox
Wow.
In a village where singing is forbidden, the main character leaves the life he has known in order to follow his heart, and the magical song which might lead him to answers about his parents, and the truth about the magic that comes from his singing.
This book has such an interesting concept and amazing characters. The story is action-packed and full of challenges for our hero. I love this world and can't wait to see the next chapter of the journey.
Jenn { pink.dove.reads }
DNF At 50% yeahhh no. This is just a poorly written book. The illustrations are great but the story needs help. List of things that don’t work/aren’t done well: characters, pacing, world building, the monsters, suspense, engagement. The story is just lacking overall I see no point in finishing it. I think the biggest mistake is there is too much telling not enough showing. Numerous times the main character has come to some revelation about his past just randomly and tells the reader without ...more
Arkham Reviews
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
Frostheart is the first middle grade novel that has really gotten me excited for a while. The scope of this novel is just vast, as it feels that though Littler has really only brushed the surface of what his world has to offer. It really is a novel that has a little something for all young adventurers.

Ash's world feels huge and dangerous - a place where people live in isolated settlements and enormous monsters hide beneath the ice that separates them. The novel had me captivated from the opening
Katie
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frostheart is a book that I definitely gave into the hype for. At the moment it is all over bookstagram and as soon as I heard that there was a yeti involved I knew that this was something that I needed to read asap.

Can we first address the illustrations in this book. Just by looking at the cover you know that you are in for a treat, but I don't think I realised how beautiful the illustrations were actually going to be. I definitely underestimated it. With every turn of the page there is an
✨Emily | Procrastinating • Bibliophile
Read as the Group Read for Believathon that's happening this month (November 2019).

This story was filled with daring adventure, heartwarming friendships and a deeply rooted quest for identity. Frostheart follows Ash as he struggles to overcome the unjust stereotypes that plague Song Weavers like himself, and his search to find his missing parents. Aiding him is his steadfast yeti guardian, Tobu, the quirky troublesome Drifter, Lunah, and the ever-so loyal and brave crew of the Frostheart.

G.M.T. Schuilling
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a great book. My son and I enjoyed it very much. Although lengthy, we would heartily recommend it to anyone wanting to be exposed to something wholly different and fantastic.

Plot and pace: The only con of this book for us was the length and pace. We expected it to be a standalone novel, but the journey is not completely over at the end, so this was a little confusing too. We wish it were a little more succinct and that it was part of a series so we could complete the quest.

Setting:
Nikki
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frostheart is a genuinely lovely story about a misfit boy who just wants to help his clan and his friends. It has simply stunning illustrations too, which really help bring it to life.

Ash is a great lead, but his lack of knowledge is sometimes a little frustrating. I normally like books where there’s a character working against the main but I did get a little bored with it here, though I couldn’t tell you why. Possibly because we don’t get a lot of answers. I feel I am going to love book 2
BookishStitcher
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it

This was a cute book, and the illustrations were fun. I didn't love it though. The main character was very annoying to me. He would repeatedly do things that were obviously bad. He didn't really learn from his mistakes for almost the entire story. He was very prideful, and I just couldn't root for him.
Shanice
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know we're only 3 days into 2020 but I just KNOW this is going on my favorites list. I loved this! If you like the found family trope, magical spirits and great worldbuilding I really recommend this (and it's 100% better with the illustrations!).
Angela Groves
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic, funny, utterly breath taking adventure story, made all the better by the wonderful illustrations. Full of heart and characters that will stay with you long after you put the book down. Roll on Frostheart 2!
Miranda
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jamie Littler has done an amazing job with Frostheart. The characters, adventures, world building... It's JUST AMAZING! Glad I decided to buy this book. Can't wait for the second one.
Meredith Mara
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars :) Imaginative and addictive middle-grade adventure read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • Nevertell
  • The Land of Roar
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)
  • The Star-spun Web
  • Explorers on Black Ice Bridge
  • I, Cosmo
  • The Christmasaurus and the Winter Witch
  • The Last Spell Breather
  • Tilly and the Lost Fairytales (Pages & Co., #2)
  • A Pinch of Magic
  • Shadows of Winterspell
  • Cog
  • The Polar Bear Explorers' Club
  • The Star Outside my Window
Jamie is an author-illustrator who graduated from the Arts Institute at Bournemouth in 2008, going on to win a High Commendation in the Macmillan Children's Book Award. When not trying to tame his unnaturally fast growing hair or having staring matches with next door's cat, he likes drawing, colouring in, cutting things out and sticking things in. He sometimes uses a scanner and a computer, and ...more

Frostheart (2 books)
  • Escape From Aurora (Frostheart #2)