Start by marking “Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family” as Want to Read:
Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family

Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  7,081 ratings  ·  1,108 reviews

" Mitch Albom has done it again with this moving memoir of love and loss. You can’t help but fall for Chika. A page-turner that will no doubt become a classic.” --Mary Karr, author of The Liars’ Club and The Art of Memoir

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Tuesdays With Morrie comes Mitch Albom’s most personal story to date: an intimate and heartwarming

Published November 5th 2019 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Finding Chika, please sign up.
Deborah Rusch No, I think he is simply an evolved man with a. heart overflowing with love and empathy.

·  7,081 ratings  ·  1,108 reviews

Start your review of Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
Kloe
Mar 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
Mitch Albom is going to have a new book and no one here except me on goodreads is hyped for it ??!
Cheri
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
”Hopelessness can be contagious. But hope can be, too, and there is no medicine to match it. Chika’s believing in us helped us believe in ourselves.”

In the late 90s, a friend gave me a copy of Mitch Albom’s “Tuesdays With Morrie,” and when I saw that he had another new memoir coming out, I knew I wanted to read this one, and put my name on the list at my library.

The lessons he learned with Morrie, an old professor, are very different from the ones he learns from Chika, a young girl whose life
Linden
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Author Mitch Albom and his wife Janine run an orphanage in Haiti, and they received a call that one of their favorite children, 5 year old Chika, had something very wrong. The only MRI machine in Haiti identified a brain mass, so they brought Chika to Michigan to see if they could get treatment for her. She had a rare incurable brain tumor which attacks young children, but they tried everything, including extended stays in Germany for an experimental treatment. The book was very ...more
Jennifer Blankfein
I read this labor of love in one sitting and cried all the way through. Mitch Albom and his wife, Janine are incredibly special, and as lucky as Chika was to have them, this precious spitfire little girl gave this generous couple the beautiful gift of family. It is a must read....full review to come on Book Nation by Jen. https://booknationbyjen.com
Carol (Reading Ladies)
“What we carry defines who we are. And the effort we make is our legacy.” ~Mitch Albom

In Finding Chika: A Little Girl, An Earthquake, and the Making of a Family, Mitch Albom, well-known author of Tuesdays With Morrie, shares his life-changing experience of caring for Chika, a young Haitian orphan. She was born a few days before the devastating 2010 earthquake into a poverty-stricken family. When her mother died after giving birth to her baby brother, Dad found placements for all their children.
Kim Fox
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many feelings about this book. I knew after the first chapter that I would not be able to put it down. I finished it in just under six hours. The way @mitchalbom tells a story ,is what propelled me through this book. And this one will resonate with everyone! I don't like to write a synopsis in my reviews, so I will just say this... You will learn something about yourself when you read this book. It will touch your heart and yes, have tissues ready!

I received this ebook from Edelweiss for my
Rich Paz
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well done, Mr. Albom. I would have given this book 6 stars. This is the best book you've written so far and I love all your books. And this book really tells me who you are, sincere and authentic. I can't wait for your next book. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
☮Karen
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it

Oh boy, this is a sad one. Prior to borrowing it, I guess I didn't read the synopsis, because all I need to know is that if Mitch Albom wrote it, I want to read it. I didn't know he was telling the true story of when he and his wife brought a little Haitian girl back to America and into his Detroit home to pay for her medical bills for treatments she could not get at the orphanage in Haiti.

An orphanage that he himself operates, following the huge earthquake there in 2010.

Treatments
Carrie
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Update: I listened to the audiobook from the library after reading this book. The audiobook is amazing with snippets of Chika's voice. If you are going to read this, I recommend the audiobook.

Original Review:
This sentimental story is important and should be read, but this is not one of my favorite books by Mitch Albom. This just seems to lack the magic that I feel when I read his other books.

Books by Albom that I loved (5 Stars):
The Five People You Meet in Heaven
For One More Day
Tuesdays with
Sharon Huether
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
Chika Jeune was born a few days before the earthquake in Haiti. After her mother died she is taken to an orphanage in Port au Prince.

Mitch Albon and his wife Janie were caretakers at the orphanage.

Chika made such a impression to the couple who had no children of their own. When it was discovered
Chika had a physical problem; they took her back to Detroit Michigan to see a doctor there to find a cure for her condition. There was not a cure, but the had hope to keep Chika apart of their family
for
Laurene
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful heartbreaking novel. Mitch Albom puts his whole heart on display for his readers to experience the relationship he and his wife had with their daughter, Chika. Thank you, Chika, your story needed to be told.

"The most precious thing you can give someone is your time because you can never get it back. When you don't think about getting it back, you've given it in love."

"One of the best things a child can do for an adult is to draw them down, closer to the ground, for clearer
Gina
Mitch Albom is one of my favorite authors so it's no surprise this little book got 5 stars.

This is the story of Chika, a newborn when the horrific earthquake all but destroyed her native country of Haiti. Although she and her mother both survive, and without divulging spoilers, Chika does end up at an orphanage founded by Albom and his wife. It is there that they meet for the first time. A toddler and the people who would love her with all their might and take her back to the US with them.

The
Jill Jackman
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged enough to have been part of Chika’s love and life. Mitch, and his narrative allowed me to relive those years with both laughter and tears. ...more
Aura
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description
Why? Why do children die?
The thought of children with terminal illnesses is unbearable to me. Mitch Albom has written a book that is somewhat comforting because he lived the nightmare of the death of a child and the blessing of her life and joy. While they are here, we must be present. We must love each other. We must not take our time for granted. I thought this book was about an adoption of a little girl from Haiti. It was but it is also about having a child with a terminal brain tumor. I am
Lonni
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book, which I highly recommend. Mitch reads it himself and there are clips of Chicka talking, singing or laughing throughout. I think it’s is beautifully written. His description of being a parent and what it can do for you and your spouse is great. Plus having had a child who had severe medical issues he nailed so much how we felt through all of that process. I love when authors articulate the feelings I have or have had so well, in a way I couldn’t. I for sure cried more ...more
Leah Nadeau
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
From the author that brought you Tuesday's with Morrie you will also enjoy this book Finding Chika. Has the same sentimental life values and life lessons that go along with both books.

Finding Chika was interesting, sweet, and sad. It's about cherishing those that you love, valuing innocence, not giving up hope, and fighting.

Mitch and his wife Janine created an orphanage center in Haiti after the tragic earthquake because so many children were left unable to take care of themselves. They fall in
Carla Johnson-Hicks
From the time I read "Tuesdays with Morrie" I have been a Mitch Albom fan. I was happy to see this memoir, his first since Tuesdays. In Finding Chika, Albom tells of his and his wife's relationship with a young girl, Chika Jeune, whom he met at the Have Faith Haiti Mission and Orphanage in Port-au-Prince, which Albom directs and visits regularly. Chika, born only days after the 2010 Haitian earthquake, was brought to the orphanage when she was three, shortly after her mother died in childbirth. ...more
Linda
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Demora
My heart is full as are my eyes.
Jec
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to NETGALLEY for providing me with this most wonderful book.

This is a touching tribute to a child who capture the heart and soul of author Mitch Albom and his wife Janine. You will laugh...you will cry...but you will never forget the story of this very special family. Mr. Albom is honest and pulls no punches in his feelings and experiences in relating the story of how their little family came to be. The story is told in a very unique manner which makes this book a joy to read.
Swetha Amit
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Families are made not necessarily by birth but by unexpected circumstances.

‘Finding Chika’ emphasizes this fact and much more.

After Tuesdays with Morrie, author Mitch Albom returns with yet another memoir that tugs the strings of your heart.

Chika is a young orphan who was born 3 days before the Haiti earthquake in 2010. After losing her mother to death, Chika is admitted to Have Faith Haiti orphanage, which Mitch Albom operates in Port-au-Prince. Mitch and his wife Janine have no children of
Jim Puskas
Readers familiar with Mitch Albom, especially those who have read For One More Day or The Five People You Meet in Heaven will be prepared for his particular brand of magical realism. If that puts you off, it's unfortunate, because in all other respects this is a very fine book, one of his best. This is of course a deeply emotional story — I defy anyone to read it with a dry eye to the end — but it's also tremendously insightful, as expressed by Albom in six "lessons":
I am your protection
Time
Cindy Eliza
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mitch Albom never disappoints. I love this book so so so much. I think it is probably the best he has ever written. I had a tough time reading the ending few chapters as it reminded me so much of my late papa and what we went through together. This is a solid 5 stars from me.
Jena Henry
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am blessed to have had the opportunity to read this book prior to its release on November 5, 2019. To all the fans of Mitch Albom, and who isn’t a fan-his books have collectively sold more than 40 million copies- I can assure you that this non-fiction book is Mr. Albom at his best.

The book is subtitled “a little girl, an earthquake and the making of a family”. The little girl is Chika, a three year old child who was orphaned in the devastating earthquake in Haiti in 2010. As a result, Chika
C.J. Pacheco
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heartbreaking story that everyone should read, specially those who have, plan to or care for our precious little children. Chika was someone special to Albom and changed his life the same way they change our lives.
Beverly
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hi Mitch,
Thank you for sharing Chika with us just like how you shared Morrie.
Mike Bushman
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. Insightful. Brilliantly shared.

Not suitable for airport reading unless you are comfortable with having others watch you cry.
Christie Maliyackel
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book covers so many elements I value and think about often: spirituality, what defines “family”, the innocence / joy / fighting spirit of children and the fulfillment of service, no matter what that may look or feel like. Mitch Albom’s story is told so authentically, with such vivid descriptions of characters, places and experiences, that it makes the reader feel like they knew (or wish they knew) Chika.
Karen
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every book I have read by Albom I have thoroughly enjoyed, and this one is no exception. More than anything, I really liked how he described his little family, and discussed what makes up a family.
LiteraryMarie
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For years, Mitch Albom has graced us with fictional stories that made us think. Characters that stuck in our minds. Wisdom and quotes to last a lifetime. Finally, the bestselling author shares his own true story. The memoir is heartbreaking, joyful, sad yet full of life. Finding Chika is about a little girl, an earthquake, and the making of a family.

Chika is a young Haitian orphan born three days before the record-breaking devastating earthquake in 2010. By divine design (my words, not his),
Mark Walsworth
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Generally, when a book is read in one day, most would consider it to be a quick read. However, this is not a quick read, rather it is an emotional journey. A journey which pulls at your heart, so much so you have to keep going. It is worth the journey...Amen.

• Noel Street
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Stieg Larssons erfenis: Zijn jacht op de moordenaar van Olof Palme
  • Dear Edward
  • Where To Begin: A Small Book About Your Power to Create Big Change in Our Crazy World
  • Invisible as Air
  • The Guardians
  • Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • Amazon: How the World's Most Relentless Retailer Will Continue to Revolutionize Commerce
  • Running with Sherman
  • Unfollow: A Journey from Hatred to Hope
  • One Night Gone
  • Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society
  • Founded After Forty: How to start a business when you haven't got time to waste
  • Olive, Again
Mitchell David Albom is an author, journalist, screenwriter, playwright, radio and television broadcaster and musician. His books have collectively sold over 35 million copies worldwide; have been published in forty-one territories and in forty-two languages around the world; and have been made into Emmy Award-winning and critically-acclaimed television movies.
“What we carry defines who we are and the effort we make is our legacy.” 4 likes
“There are many kinds of selfishness in this world, but the most selfish is hoarding time, because none of us know how much we have, and it is an affront to God to assume there will be more.” 3 likes