Start by marking “Catfishing on CatNet” as Want to Read:
Catfishing on CatNet

Catfishing on CatNet

How much does the internet know about YOU? A thought-provoking near future YA thriller that could not be more timely as it explores issues of online privacy, artificial intelligence, and the power and perils of social networks.

Because her mom is always on the move, Steph hasn’t lived anyplace longer than six months. Her only constant is an online community called CatNet—a

Published November 19th 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Catfishing on CatNet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catfishing on CatNet

Start your review of Catfishing on CatNet
Toni
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2019
As promised by the blurb, the story does go to some extent into thought-provoking questions on how much information about us is available to any serious hacker or an AI and how trusting we are of the good intentions of those who have become a member of our social network closer circle. But it isn't all dark and gloomy, quite the opposite. It is more about our fundamental desire to make friendships and find people we belong with.

Steph Taylor has changed six high schools. Her slightly paranoid
Helen Power
Synopsis
This book is marketed as a dark thriller. I mean, look at that cover (Which, by the way, is not the cover it had when I requested it through NetGalley. That cover had cute cyber-kitties on it). Doesn't this cover make the book look dark and spooky? Even the description and the initial reviews made it sound like a dark thriller about an AI that goes off its rocker.

On the contrary, this is a light book about a girl who's always been on the run with her mother. They always have to move to
Sherwood Smith
Steph Taylor has never really learned to make friends after she was yanked from her first at age seven. Even before then she has always been on the move, and always in the middle of the night. Never with a destination named. Her mother says it’s for their own safety, as Steph's father is a psychopath and convicted arsonist, and if they show up on the grid in any way, he will find them.

Steph has always accepted this, but of late she’s begun to question details that don’t add up. Especially as her
Inge

I don't actually remember requesting this book.

Blurb: "... a social media site where users upload cat pictures ..."

... But I can certainly guess why I did.

So this was quite fun! Don't get me wrong, most of the time it was pretty intense - there's a homicidal father on the loose, trying to find the MC and her mother, and the stakes are very high. There are car chase scenes and everything. I finished the book in two days.

But there's also the part with the human-like AI, which asks for
The Captain
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this young adult sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

I have only read two of Naomi Kritzer's shorter length stories. One was the "The Thing About Ghost Stories” which was nominated for the 2019 Hugo for novelettes. The other was "Cat Pictures Please" which won the 2016 Locus and Hugo awards for best short story. This book ties into the 2016 story.

Steph and her mom have been on the run from her father for
Peter Tillman
A first-rate YA action-adventure, based on Kritzer's award winning short “Cat Pictures Please,” still available online at http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/kritz.... If you missed it, a good introduction to the ideas she extended into her first novel. Which is not a subtle book, but well-written, and I liked the teens and their coming-of-age stories. Steph's Bad Dad is a bit much, and the confrontation at the end is, well, melodramatic. But still fun. I'll probably read the sequel. Recommended, ...more
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book so much and I am so glad I got read it.

The story revolves around Steph and the AI she befriends.

Steph's had a lonely life moving from place to place to escape her abusive father. Her only friends are on the social media sites CatNet.

This is a wonderful story about friendship, loyalty and a kind-hearted AI who just wants to look at kitty pics.
ReadBecca
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, lgbt
I requested and received a copy of this book for honest review, thanks to Netgalley, the publisher and author.

Catfishing on CatNet is the full length novel inspired by Kritzer's previous award darling short Cat Pictures Please. For me this reads like a cross between Eliza and Her Monsters (which I really enjoyed) and Murderbot (which I loved). We get three unique perspectives:
Steph - A high schooler who has been unable to put down roots anywhere, being moved to a new rural Midwestern town by her
Maria Haskins
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've loved Naomi Kritzer's short fiction for years. She has a remarkable talent for writing sharply observed, subtly funny, and quietly profound stories that show a deep appreciation for the human condition. Her Hugo Award winning story "Cat Pictures, Please", about a kind and considerate AI that wants to do the best it can for people (and also really, really likes cat pictures) is one such story. Out of that piece of short fiction grew this wonderful, near-future science fiction novel about ...more
Eeva
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have some major mixed feelings about this book.
On one hand it's not badly written and has a decent plot, but on the other it's weirdly written and the plot sometimes is just over the top.
Lindsay
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YA SF that ties into the Hugo-award winning short story Cat Pictures Please.

Steph Taylor is at a new high school, an experience she's had far too much of. Her mother moves them every few months in an effort to keep them both away from Steph's supposedly abusive and controlling father. who Steph doesn't actually remember. Constant moves means it's hard to make and keep friends, so Steph's friends are mostly online, on CatNet, a social network where animal pictures are currency. What Steph doesn't
Mark
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just a delightful read. I did the classic start-reading-late-evening-unable-to-stop-til-finished thing.

This is an...expansion?...of the idea that Kritzer used in her short story Cat Pictures Please, in which a benevolent AI tries to look after people in various ways, because it loves people, and in particular their internet cat pictures.

Catfishing on CatNet (pretty much my only criticism is that the new title is a bit silly!) expands significantly by telling the story of Steph, a teen girl whose
Arkadeb
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, science-fiction
Cute, fun, yet also thought provoking with shades of darkness
Just_ann_now
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, from-the-fcpl
If you read Kritzer's short story "Cat Pictures Please", you will love this book. If you did not read "Cat Pictures Please" , you will still love this book. If you love cats, computers, your friends who live in computers, you will love this book. I can't think of a reason why anybody would not love this book.
wishforagiraffe
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Really, really excellent. More thoughts to come.
Bonnie McDaniel
This is the novel-length expansion of Kritzer's charming Hugo-winning story, "Cat Pictures Please." The original was a funny, whimsical little story of a newly emergent artificial intelligence who wants to help people and look at cat pictures. This expansion has that, but it also asks pertinent questions about the ubiquitous intertwining of the internet into our lives, and how an AI develops a conscience and a set of ethics.

It's set just a few minutes (a decade or so) into the future, where 25%
Kris Sellgren
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, cats, five_stars
I loved this young adult science fiction novel about Steph, a teenage girl on the run from an abusive father, and the AI who cares about her. I picked it up because if there’s not a CatNet on the internet, there should be, and because NPR gave it an enthusiastic review. While there are cats in the story, the focus is on what information the internet collects about us and how to use this info for good or evil. There is a lot of suspense. At first Steph wonders if her mom’s paranoid, as they move ...more
Keeley
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what to expect with this book, but it ended up being an adorable high school caper. It centers around Steph, who has had to move over and over to keep from being found by her psycho stalker father. The only friends she really has are in an online group called CatNet. Steph usually doesn't get too attached to the people or places she'll have to move from, but she finds herself wanting to stay at her latest school when she meets Rachel. Will that be possible when Steph's very life ...more
Joy
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read that kept me interested and engaged the whole time. Near-future technothriller featuring likable teens in danger and a benevolent AI. Highly recommended.
Susan
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a YA (14 - 17 yr old) story and it is among the best that novels for age group offer.

It takes place in a near future where a teen girl and her mother are running from her abusive father but the story takes many twists and turns beyond that.

Lovely characters. Not cynical. Satisfying ending. I highly recommend it for a quick read.
Joanna Bennett
One thing that caught my attention when it came to this book was the cover. I love cats and well it sold me! I obviously knew it wasn’t about cats but hey, its eye catching. I was actually surprised by how much I liked this one. There were definitely some positives and I only had a few issues with it overall.

The book has a unique layout when it comes to its chapters. At times there is only dialogue that looks how text would appear in a chat room online. I thought that was interesting and
Lisa Wright
A YA thriller with a nerdy twist and an openness regarding gender identity. Teen-aged Steph doesn't remember a time when she and her mother weren't on the run from her father. Her only real friendships are with the people in her group on the CatNet website--a haven for animal loving outcasts. Things turn seriously dangerous when her mother falls ill And Steph realizes her father has picked up her trail and now her CatNet friends may be in danger, too. I really loved this!
Teresa
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4.5

Thank you to NetGalley, Macmillan-Tom Doherty Associates, and Naomi Kritzer for the opportunity to read Catfishing on CatNet in exchange for an honest review.

From the description, I figured this book would be a fun novel for teen readers, as it relates to their interest in social media, privacy, and social life. This book not only nails the description on the head, but was a highly unexpected page-turner that I just couldn't put down!

The novel has three different chapter perspectives: Steph
VexenReplica
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TW for: abuse (generally offscreen), stalking, gun violence. Thanks to Farra for informing me this is a thing!

Y'all, I generally don't like thrillers. But this, this was gold.

If you haven't already read Kritzer's "Cat Pictures Please," you should do so. If you are enamored by that, chances are you'll find this book to be engrossing. If her style isn't for you, then chances are this won't be your thing.

The story centers on Steph, a teenager traveling around the US to avoid her father. Her mom
lovebooks
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Do you know that the internet knows a lot about you? This book is about a mother and daughter running away from Steph’s dad. He’s a dangerous man. Steph never really had any real friends because she moved a lot. She goes online to a site called CatNet. She makes sure no one knows what she looks like or where she is. The chat room administrator is called CheshireCat. When Steph and her moms past life catches up with them her new friends help her find out the truth
lovebooks
Lily
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, 2019, arcs, lgbt
***Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me a free ARC in exchange for an honest review!***

This was such an interesting story and the book absolutely flew by. I was engaged from the very beginning, and the different perspectives were so unique.

I've never been a huge fan of science fiction, but this one sounded interesting enough for me to be able to give it a try and not hate it-- and I'm so glad that I did. It combined YA thriller with a sci-fi story of a sentient AI.

I suggest
C. S.
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, netgalley, lgbtq
Ok so here's the thing: I'm a slow reader. I read like I'm mining ore, which considering my physical fitness level (or lack thereof), means I'm really slow. I chip away at books gradually, a few pages here, a few pages there...

But when I find the right book, I read A LOT. Still slowly, but a lot.

So I ended up reading Catfishing on Catnet in a single day. Almost a single sitting, although I did take a two hour break to watch a game review by a YouTuber I follow and to, you know, EAT TO SUSTAIN
Didi Chanoch
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Naomi Kritzer's 2015 short story "Cat Pictures Please," which one the Hugo and Locus awards, was about an all powerful, all knowing AI that just wanted to help and only wanted cat pictures in return.

This book is an expansion of that idea. Not a sequel or a direct expansion of that story, but definitely a return to those themes. The AI here knows a LOT, but they (their pronouns are they/theirs), but not everything. And they still want to help people, but are very modest in their aspirations. They
Olivia
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So before you go into this book know that it is written with SJW-level political correctness, so if you can't stand that then this is not the book for you. It just really seems like the author was trying too hard to appeal to the millennial/gen-z population... but what do I know Naomi Kritzer might really think like that. Anyway, moving on.
Overall though, the book was okay. The plot was a bit far-fetched and really confusing at times, and it only really got interesting at the 75% mark so take
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • A Song for a New Day
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Unnatural Magic
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Love, Heather
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • You Can Only Yell at Me for One Thing at a Time: Rules for Couples
  • A Very Scalzi Christmas
  • Murder Off the Page: A 42nd Street Library Mystery
  • Refraction
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Last Bus to Everland