Start by marking “Boom: Mad Money, Mega Dealers, and the Rise of Contemporary Art” as Want to Read:
Boom: Mad Money, Mega Dealers, and the Rise of Contemporary Art

Boom: Mad Money, Mega Dealers, and the Rise of Contemporary Art

The meteoric rise of the largest unregulated financial market in the world-for contemporary art-is driven by a few passionate, guileful, and very hard-nosed dealers. They can make and break careers and fortunes.

The contemporary art market is an international juggernaut, throwing off multimillion-dollar deals as wealthy buyers move from fair to fair, auction to auction, pa
Published May 21st 2019 by PublicAffairs

To ask other readers questions about Boom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boom

Elliot Ackerman
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boom is not only a modern history of the art world, filled with rich details, revealing anecdotes, as compelling told by Shnayerson, but it's also an examination of mass culture and mass consciousness. While reading this book I couldn't help but feel as though the rarefied art world Shnayerson turned his eye to became a meta-narrative for the hype-culture our society has mutated into.
Melissa Marie
This is an illustrious book (pun intended) highlighting all of the major players of the contemporary art world. If you have an interest in the art world but are a beginner, this could be an overwhelming but at the same time, provides all of the history for you to get up-to-speed. Schnayerson shares the most exciting stories and lives of the most influential dealers, critics, and collectors. This is not to forget the artists who were the subject of this art period such as de Kooning, Rauschenberg ...more
Jonathan
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too long and too much detail about the boring minutiae of the business dealings and ups and downs of the big-shot New York art dealers of the post war period. The earlier sections were intersting but too much time on petty gossip - not even good gossip - about mega-dealer Larry Gagosian. I was hoping for a more jaundiced eye, such as that of Don Thompson's $12 Million Dollar Stuffed Shark. A google reminded me who author Shnayerson is: a Vanity Fair writer, a magazine which has some excellent wr ...more
Ellie
This book is a bit like learning algebra. You can’t skim over one chapter and expect to keep up with the remaining information that inevitably faces you.

I wanted to finish this book, I swear. However, I skimmed a bit in the first chapter and I never really got caught up. Yes, I could have gone back and reread everything again, but my heart was not in it.

I have a considerable love for fine artists and fine art in general. With that said, I struggled to connect to the artists, and gallery owners
Nicholas Mills
May 28, 2019
Tad Wisenor
Jun 19, 2019
And Tigers And Bears!
Jun 20, 2019
Nicole Whittaker
If you're not sure why certain artwork is so expensive, or how the price of art is determined, you should check out Boom. It's a fascinating read about the art market and the business of art, and I think those who don't understand art would find Boom very insightful.
Jean Vanderbilt
Janday
Apr 21, 2019
Rusty
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can’t imagine a more comprehensive or wonderfully written view of the modern and contemporary art world. In easy, fluid prose, Shnayerson takes the reader from the discriminating galleries and collectors of the freeing post-War era to the feeding frenzy of today’s gazillionaire buyers and cut-throat dealers. In that time, artists and their work were nearly transformed into carnival performers and hedge fund assets. Few pages go by without the appearance of riveting characters, their unique stori ...more
Andy
May 31, 2019
Patricia
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating history of the art world through the lens of the dealers and buyers who changed the game.
Cristie Underwood
May 27, 2019
Cristie Underwood
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author's painstaking research and attention to detail is obvious in the writing of this book. There were many facts that I only discovered after reading this!
marvin ross friedman