Start by marking “Bred” as Want to Read:
Bred

Bred

A coming-of-age romance inspired by Great Expectations

My life was irrevocably changed the moment I stepped foot inside Elena Alderman’s grand front doors. A lifeless tomb on the edge of Chicago’s Southside, the Alderman home sat in one of the city’s oldest and wealthiest neighborhoods, and Elena Alderman was the queen.

She was also mad.

Not the kind of madness that’s readi
Expected publication: May 10th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Bred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bred

*****FOUR STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

At some point we began to rock our steps, and as Henry’s eyes reflect against the setting sun, the brown and green mix in a hypnotic gaze that stops my heart ever so briefly. It skips. I die, just for a breath. I die—and I come back.

BRED is Ginger Scott’s incredibly angsty version of one of her all-time favorite stories, ”Great Expectations” by Charles Dickens. This is a coming of age romance between two teenagers who are from completely opp
Akiko
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Coming-of-Age-Love, With a Sprinkle of Great Expectations Stars

13 year old Lily Ames lives in Chicago with her 27 year old 'aunt' Alice and her 28 year old 'uncle' Collin; her parents having recently died. Alice goes to a job interview, with Elena Alderman, the CEO of Havisham Industrial, and Lily tags along and meets a boy the same age as her, named Henry Alderman.

Henry Alderman was taught young, by his 'adopted' mom, that he should never give his heart away, and he should always be selfish
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
Inspired by Dickens' Great Expectations, Ginger Scott delivers a story full of heartache, loneliness, and deceit in Bred. While I admit I've not read Dickens myself, I was completely swept away in this story that felt a bit darker, a bit more somber than anything this author has written before.

This story took me back to when I first read Waiting on the Sidelines, a story set in high school where our heroine remains on the outskirts while our hero enjoys the spoils of being the popular athlete o
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
❤❤

description

Bookgasms Book Blog
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shelly
As far as books that are inspired by classics go, Ms. Scott has done an excellent, respectful job with her take on Great Expectations. She made me feel some ways about some characters. All of the ways, as it turns out, about all of the characters - and while most of those ways fell into the realm of uncomfortable, I believe that was intentional and true to this classic storyline.

With the exception of the delightful friends Lily managed to make at school, each of the main characters took their t
Ali
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I finished Bred while wide awake in the wee hours of the morning and I've been waffling on feelings all day.

On one hand, I loved much of it and I was, truly, absorbed in the story of Lily (innocent, kind, awkward) and Henry (the exact opposite). On the other hand, it was SO INNOCENT that I kept having to pause and remind myself how young these characters really are.

The tale, a spin on Dicken's Great Expectations, starts when these two are only 13 and ends only a quick several years later. A lo
L.J. Shen
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Henry + Lily = life.
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I started reading this book, I felt an instant connection to the characters. Henry and Lily have a special bond/relationship that not only captures your heart, but also your attention. Although they have very different backgrounds, their beliefs and feelings reflect their similar interests and struggles. I was constantly intrigued by the twists and turns in this story, and how these two navigated through the challenging times, while discovering how love plays an important role in ...more
Darlene Avery
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bred by Ginger Scott is a complex and thought provoking coming of age story that will have readers captivated.

I love the complexity of this storyline that is woven with innocence and the need to not only succeed but to prove oneself.

Unlikely friendships are formed, that will change the whole dynamics of how each character views their life, and will create a world filled with hope.

I throughly enjoyed watching these characters grow and evolve.

4.5 Stars
Paula D
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a deep amazing story! To sum it up it’s about control and what depths people will go out to ruin you. Lily and Henry come from different worlds. But Lily is so strong and loving her personality amazes me throughout this book. Henry I feel sorry for him and wanna just hold him and weep. But maybe them meeting will changed there lives. 5/5 stars
Alyson Santos
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emotional, beautiful, and crafted to perfection, Bred is everything I love about reading. I couldn’t put it down as I got lost in exploring that part of us that will always be fighting for significance—and the souls of those we love.
Brittany Hively
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ginger Scott knocks this classic retelling out of the park!

Bred is a re-telling of Great Expectations. I have never read Great Expectations, but you can bet I will be soon if the story is half as good as Ginger Scott's, Bred.

This cover attracted me immediately and I knew I wanted to check this book out. As soon as I got it, I dove in and was sucked right in! My reading time is slim this days between life, but I was staying up as late as my eyes would let me to read this book.

I never knew what
Zilpha Owens
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Innocent Stars

I don’t know much about the classics that this story is loosely based on, but I do like to read romance so I found myself slightly captivated by the story of Henry Alderman and Lily Ames. Their relationship grows slowly. They start out as somewhat friends on opposite ends of the financial spectrum who want to be more but can’t seem to have it due to outside influences and manipulation. Themes of family, good and evil, rich and poor span the novel.

Admittedly Young Adult is not
LianaReads blog
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-5-stars, arc, april-19
New to me author and a great book to start with.
Honestly, my feelings are mixed and all over the places right now. I don't know what to say exactly because this book definitely wasn't what i expected and in a good way.
A great writing and storyteller, with characters development so good with every page, turned and the feelings,the moments that Henry and Lily spend together from the first second they meet to the last page, from the unwanted interventions of his mother and everything that life thro
Catty Jane
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
*** ARC Received for Honest Review ***

4 stars

I can't even tell you the whys or hows of how much I truly fell in love with Lily and Henry. This isn't your typical overly exaggerated, angsty teenage coming of age book. Don't get me wrong there is drama, but most of the angst comes from them simply being kids, not that the drama is truly that serious. I think that is what I fell in love with.

Typically I love the over top drama, but this was written in such a way that I kept reading always waiting f
Belinda M
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a word, and to borrow one that Ginger Scott used in her acknowledgment - bleak. I wasn’t quite sure how the story would unfold. The characters such as her guardian, Alice and Henry’s adoptive mother, Elena were so cold. No one seemed to have any ounce of happiness. It was just so odd. The few pure moments of joy were like sudden colour yo the grey of the rest of the story. This doesn’t mean that I didn’t like it, just that it was different. I’ve never read Great Expectations which the author ...more
Sarah N
Tarah Hodges-Wilkins
rated it it was ok
Keri Loves Books
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
They were friends by circumstance. They formed a bond based on mutal respect, but they were destined to become more.

Henry is trapped in a life that has been completely planned out for him. He’s been taught to take whatever he wants without feelings. Feelings are for the weak.

Lily hasn’t had much of a life since her parents died. Forced to live with a distant relation, she was nothing more than an obligation. But she always had hope.

Lily and Henry meet when her caregiver gets a job working for He
Avid Reader
Ruthie Emtage
Emily Francis
Yenny Smith
Feb 19, 2019
Ginger Scott is an Amazon-bestselling, Goodreads Choice Award and Rita award-nominated author of several young and new adult romances, including Waiting on the Sidelines, This Is Falling, Wild Reckless, The Hard Count, Cry Baby and Bred.

A sucker for a good romance, Ginger’s other passion is sports, and she often blends the two in her stories. (She’s also a sucker for a hot quarterback, catcher, pi