Start by marking “Bred” as Want to Read:
Bred

Bred

A coming-of-age romance inspired by Great Expectations

My life was irrevocably changed the moment I stepped foot inside Elena Alderman’s grand front doors. A lifeless tomb on the edge of Chicago’s Southside, the Alderman home sat in one of the city’s oldest and wealthiest neighborhoods, and Elena Alderman was the queen.

She was also mad.

Not the kind of madness that’s readi
Published May 10th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Bred, please sign up.
Ginger Scott Hi. I am glad you like the cover:) I have shared a few excerpts if that would help you decide if this will be a book for you or not. They are on my…moreHi. I am glad you like the cover:) I have shared a few excerpts if that would help you decide if this will be a book for you or not. They are on my Facebook page or you can always sample for free at release. I know not every book is for everyone. Thank you for considering mine, and I am glad you like the cover :)
Warmest, Ginger (less)

*****FOUR STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

At some point we began to rock our steps, and as Henry’s eyes reflect against the setting sun, the brown and green mix in a hypnotic gaze that stops my heart ever so briefly. It skips. I die, just for a breath. I die—and I come back.

BRED is Ginger Scott’s incredibly angsty version of one of her all-time favorite stories, ”Great Expectations” by Charles Dickens. This is a coming of age romance between two teenagers who are from completely opp
Akiko
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Coming-of-Age-Love, With a Sprinkle of Great Expectations Stars

13 year old Lily Ames lives in Chicago with her 27 year old 'aunt' Alice and her 28 year old 'uncle' Collin; her parents having recently died. Alice goes to a job interview, with Elena Alderman, the CEO of Havisham Industrial, and Lily tags along and meets a boy the same age as her, named Henry Alderman.

Henry Alderman was taught young, by his 'adopted' mom, that he should never give his heart away, and he should always be selfish
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
Not sure what exactly I thought I was getting into with this one, but this book surprised me, Nicely!! An enjoyable, angsty read. Started off slow but once you got in, you couldn't wait to see what happens next. Definitely a recommend from me!!!

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
The Book Bee
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
REVIEW: 4 .5 STARS
"He smells like a man of the world, yet home. He tastes familiar, and new."

Ok. I admit I have been told to read Ginger Scott for quite some time. I am reader-enough to admit that much. But the fact that she was YA worried me and clean YA even more. I like the heavy angst and the emotional turmoil in books -that grit that makes your stomach clench and your insides twist, and that's hard to capture in YA, sometimes . I have recently started reading more YA because I am finding
TeriLyn
**Bred generously provided in exchange for an honest review.**

5 "This is what you wanted." Stars

Ginger Scott does it again. In spades. This wondrously complex story quite possibly could be my favorite Ginger Scott to date. Taking on a such a beloved classic is a beast but Scott fearlessly executed her story and provided something familiar yet wholly unique. She delves into the raw, gritty, most uncomfortable parts of a beloved, classic tale and then exploits those most vulnerable parts in creati
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
Inspired by Dickens' Great Expectations, Ginger Scott delivers a story full of heartache, loneliness, and deceit in Bred. While I admit I've not read Dickens myself, I was completely swept away in this story that felt a bit darker, a bit more somber than anything this author has written before.

This story took me back to when I first read Waiting on the Sidelines, a story set in high school where our heroine remains on the outskirts while our hero enjoys the spoils of being the popular athlete o
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Henry + Lily = life.
Stephanie
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Friends are enemies in disguise.”

Henry Alderman and Lily Ames two lost souls. They are so similar in some ways and yet so far apart in others. Circumstances bring them together and tear them apart. We watch them grow both physically and emotionally.

“Be careful with your heart, Lily.” Henry has been bred to win…with room for very little else.

…”You’re playing a game you aren’t bred to win.”

Bred is a coming-of-age romance inspired by Great Expectations. I have never read Great Expectations so I
Jen
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
It takes a gifted kind of writer to create a spin-off of Great Expectations. Ginger Scott pours magic into her words and bled them on to the pages of her latest novel. Bred is simply amazing. It has an old-world feel to it and once I started reading, I couldn’t put it down.

Henry + Lily come from opposite backgrounds, yet have a lot in common. Henry is privileged, and is expected to go on to do great things. Bred to care about himself more than anyone or anything else, he truly believe
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
RTC
Ali
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I finished Bred while wide awake in the wee hours of the morning and I've been waffling on feelings all day.

On one hand, I loved much of it and I was, truly, absorbed in the story of Lily (innocent, kind, awkward) and Henry (the exact opposite). On the other hand, it was SO INNOCENT that I kept having to pause and remind myself how young these characters really are.

The tale, a spin on Dicken's Great Expectations, starts when these two are only 13 and ends only a quick several years later. A lo
Bookgasms Book Blog
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shelly
As far as books that are inspired by classics go, Ms. Scott has done an excellent, respectful job with her take on Great Expectations. She made me feel some ways about some characters. All of the ways, as it turns out, about all of the characters - and while most of those ways fell into the realm of uncomfortable, I believe that was intentional and true to this classic storyline.

With the exception of the delightful friends Lily managed to make at school, each of the main characters took their t
Claypot_Reads -  Michelle
You know those authors that could write a grocery list and you'd read it - that's Ginger Scott for me. I finished this book a few days ago & was waiting to write my review as I needed to get my head around how much I enjoyed it.

Inspired by Great Expectations it's one heck of a read.

Jam packed with heart ache, loneliness and deception it had me powering through the pages and getting annoyed when I was interrupted as I NEEDED to know what was coming next. I yelled. I teared up and I smiled d
Ali Dean
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one special book. Ginger's writing has always been exceptional but she takes it to the next level with Bred. It had been a long time since I'd read Great Expectations but all the feels from when I first read it in my high school days came flooding back. You don't need to remember all the details from the original to enjoy this, though it certainly makes the retelling more intriguing.

This book is a true coming of age, and Ginger writes it so well that no extra drama is necessary to ignit
Anne OK
Love that cover and it's perfect for the Henry's character on the pages of this novel. More than I expected -- kept me involved from start to finish. I wish there had been more!

FULL REVIEW TO COME.
Michelle
4.5 Stars!
Once again Ginger Scott has giving me a wonderful read. I love this women and love her books!! This wasn’t one of my favorites from her but I still very much loved this one.
The only thing I wish about this read was that she gave us an epilogue. It’s something that I hate in books. I want my epilogues. lol
If you love angsty ya books this ones for you:))
queen_of_the_books_18
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ll start off by saying that this wasn’t what I was expecting from Bred, and it took me a little while to get into it properly.

Inspired by Great expectations, Ginger Scott has just delivered an angsty romance full of secrets and deceit. A coming of age story that centres around Lily and Henry, two people that are from completely different worlds , that their friendship let alone a relationship shouldn’t work.

But this story shows you that anything is possible and your first love just could be
Brittany Hively
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ginger Scott knocks this classic retelling out of the park!

Bred is a re-telling of Great Expectations. I have never read Great Expectations, but you can bet I will be soon if the story is half as good as Ginger Scott's, Bred.

This cover attracted me immediately and I knew I wanted to check this book out. As soon as I got it, I dove in and was sucked right in! My reading time is slim this days between life, but I was staying up as late as my eyes would let me to read this book.

I never knew what
Polly
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of build up to a lackluster ending
AJ
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it

Based on the Dickens classic, Great Expectations, Ginger Scott’s latest standalone is a heartbreaking, angsty and intriguing coming-of-age story with a slow burning YA romance that is complicated but beautiful.

Lily’s whole world changed after the death of her parents. She was sent to live with distant relatives who, though treat her well, are lacking in providing love and support. She is quiet, lonely, and a little bit lost, but she finds happiness and inspiration when she attends a jo
Julie
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Whether you are a fan of the Young Adult genre or the classics, you’ll love Bred by Ginger Scott. Her re-envisioning of the Dickens classic, Great Expectations is amazing!

As a teen, the assigned classics were more likely to be Conrad, Bradbury, and Orwell rather than Dickens, Bronte or Wilde.   I read more Victorian-era classics when my children were in school than I did as a teen.  The more modern classics were easier to read, but they lacked robust drama. If more of the classics were re-imagin
Na
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Not sure what to think of it... Review to come soon
Cassie
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
 Bred by Ginger Scott is one of the classic retellings this year and I think she may have chosen the best of the lot. Dickens' Great Expectations is jammed with emotion and lessons still relevant today. Her modern take took us to a fun and rewarding role reversal as the “Pip” in this story is female and the Estella of this story is male. Taking on a Dicken’s work is not an easy task and yet Scott delivered with grace and the perfect “Easter eggs” of the classic tale woven throughout.

Lily Ames ak
Kristen Kehoe
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. I always hesitate to read modern retellings or imaginings because even if the writing is perfect, there are so many feelings already present for the original story line...however...however, I was gladly sucked into this story, Ms. Scott, and never was there a moment where I was worrying about if the story was straying too far or staying too close. I saw these characters for who and what they are: representatives of someone we once knew...they are the version we see today, and ...more
Melissa H
⭐⭐⭐

A retelling of Great Expectations and a book that I honestly didn’t have too many options on before I picked it up. It was on Kindle Unlimited so I figured I’d give it a go.

TBH I wanted more from this book. The ending felt extremely rushed and the whole book was much slower paced. I wish there was more explanation at the ending.

The book did keep me hooked and I wanted to know what was going to happen next; it kept me up pretty late the first night I was reading it. I know what the character
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I started reading this book, I felt an instant connection to the characters. Henry and Lily have a special bond/relationship that not only captures your heart, but also your attention. Although they have very different backgrounds, their beliefs and feelings reflect their similar interests and struggles. I was constantly intrigued by the twists and turns in this story, and how these two navigated through the challenging times, while discovering how love plays an important role in ...more
Jessica
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love me some angst and this book delivers. I simply fell along with Lily. I felt how tortured Henry was. Adored Lily's friends. Despised Elena.
Darlene Avery
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bred by Ginger Scott is a complex and thought provoking coming of age story that will have readers captivated.

I love the complexity of this storyline that is woven with innocence and the need to not only succeed but to prove oneself.

Unlikely friendships are formed, that will change the whole dynamics of how each character views their life, and will create a world filled with hope.

I throughly enjoyed watching these characters grow and evolve.

4.5 Stars
Grace
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

Love and deception are the heart of this story, a retelling of the classic, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

Going into this book, I did something probably a lot of other readers haven't done, I read Great Expectations. I've been slowly working my way through the classics, and this one was on my list. When I saw that Bred was loosely based on it, I thought it was the perfect time to tackle it. Having read both books so closely together, I can confirm that the connections between t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ginger Scott is an Amazon-bestselling, Goodreads Choice Award and Rita award-nominated author of several young and new adult romances, including Waiting on the Sidelines, This Is Falling, Wild Reckless, The Hard Count, Cry Baby and Bred.

A sucker for a good romance, Ginger’s other passion is sports, and she often blends the two in her stories. (She’s also a sucker for a hot quarterback, catcher, pi
“I think you’re worth everything.” 0 likes