Start by marking “Blossoms in Autumn” as Want to Read:
Blossoms in Autumn

Blossoms in Autumn

Ulysses, a middle-aged widower, is forced into early retirement from his moving job. At a loss for what to do next, the course of his life is changed by a chance encounter with a fellow lonely soul at, of all places, his son's OB/GYN office. Mediterranea, who recently lost her mother, runs a cheese shop that she took over when her beloved Corsican father died years earlier ...more
Published March 20th 2019 by Europe Comics

To ask other readers questions about Blossoms in Autumn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blossoms in Autumn

♥ Sandi ❣
5 stars Thanks to NetGalley and Europe Comics for allowing me to read and review this graphic ARC. Publishes March 20, 2019.

Such a wonderful open graphic, written with flare in a European style. The author, Zidrou, actually Benoît Drousie of Brussels, has brought a wonderful story to light with an abundance of human emotions, open to the thoughts and actions of middle aged adults. European Comics is definitely more unimpeded in their views of sex than we are here in the States, but this graphic
MissBecka
That was weird and a fair bit more depressing than I expected.
The illustrations were fantastic and honest in the details with many wonderful one liners to be found throughout.

Thank you NetGalley and Europe Comics for this DRC.
Richard
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was truly moved by this story.
It is a boy meets girl romance with a twist.
For nine months the woman (61) has been nursing and caring for her dying mother. With her passing she becomes the head of the family and feels her age; unmarried, childless, there she seems little prospect for her life and looking at her sagging body she feels her time has been and gone.
Meanwhile, the man, (60 ish) is tired from his years moving other people’s belongings. The financial downturn has left fewer house move
Marianne
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blossoms in Autumn is a graphic novel by Zidrou. It is illustrated by Aimee de Jongh. Mediterranea and Ulysses are both grieving. Ulysses Varennes, at fifty-nine, has been retrenched from his job as a removalist. Sixty-one-year-old Mediterranea Solenza has just lost her mother after nine months of devoted care. Life for both of them is suddenly emptier. And each has been rudely made aware of their advancing age.

Mediterranea has her cheese shop, but the tactics Ulysses employs to fill his day ar
Didi
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: French graphic novels
This graphic novel surprised me with it's fairytale ambiance. The main characters are sixty year olds and that's refreshingly rare. Why don't we have more stories with main characters that are over 50? Anyway this graphic novel has wonderful artwork and great story telling, in spite of the the ending which isn't very realistic but an interesting touch. I still loved it. It's mainly about getting old and how it effects people differently. It's also about falling in love when you believe that it i ...more
Ije the Devourer of Books
I loved this. It is a beautiful story about a widower who is made redundant at 59. He then has to find a new way of living and he struggles but copes. He then bumps into a 62 year old former model who runs her own cheese shop and a friendship develops between the two of them.

And as the friendship deepens love emerges and the two of them decide to grasp all that life still has to offer them and they do this despite the moaning of the man's son and daughter in law and why not?

Why should older peop
Etienne
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-acheter
This was better then what I expected!! This isn't about old people naked like the cover made me think, this book is about two older persons (59 and 62... I think) who are searching for a reason to continue living and then finding one. This is a book about love, about life, about getting old and I find myself deeply touch by it. I'm no way near that age (I'm 31 has I read it), but I see the future me in those characters and it made me thing a lot about getting old, without kid and all that came w ...more
René Paquin
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bande-dessinee
Magnifique et touchante BD!
PattyMacDotComma
3.5~4★
“You know, Mediterranea, I can’t get my head around the fact that now . . . you’re the oldest Solenza.”

Trust a younger brother to cheer you up! This is an interesting and timely graphic novel. The characters are recognisable, normal, everyday people of older middle age you could easily know. They have both hit bitter reality checks and are having trouble dealing with life.

Mediterranea’s mother has just died, and she, not her brother, is the one who has been caring for her, so now, she’s n
Caroline Tessier
C'est une des plus belles bd que j'ai lu! C'était magnifiquement écrit et illustré.
Loredana (Bookinista08)
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***ARC found on NetGalley, so many thanks for this opportunity to read and enjoy this graphic novel!***

This was such a lovely surprise for me! Apart from the ending, which was too good to be true (though I admit it is not impossible in real life), the whole of this graphic novel was crazy good! So refreshing to read about the life and love story of two almost-old people. It's something that does exist, but is almost never portrayed in films or books or songs. It should! It's just a stage in life
Elle♣
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
3 stars

*Thank you to the author and Netgalley for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

An interesting graphic novel. I thought it was okay, just not my kind of thing. It was pretty bleak.
prettybooks
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
17/20

Le message transmis par cette BD, c’est que l’on peut être jeune, même à 60 ans. Qu’il n’y a pas d’âge pour être heureux et que la vie peut nous surprendre même quand on pensait que l’on avait tout vu, tout vécu. C’est un ouvrage plein d’espoir, de tendresse et d’amour.

Ma chronique : https://myprettybooks.wordpress.com/2...
Audrey Martel
Le message est beau, le dessin est beau, les sentiments sont bons, mais la conclusion est... spéciale. C'est touchant tout de même.
Valéria.
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
It started really nice, the beginning was interesting, kind of poetic and I was waiting when the two of them are going to meet. Then they met. They fell in love. They had sex. To this point, it was a nice romance story about two old folks, kind and funny. And then, I don't know if the author got hit or something, (view spoiler) Besides that, I did not find it extraordinary in any way, it w ...more
Melanie Brault
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
« Depuis quand les feuilles d’automne remontent-elles dans les arbres?!? ». Quelle belle BD!!!
Kayla
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blossoms in Autumn is a heart warming, unique story that that tells the story of love at an old age. Mediterranea has become the oldest member of her family after the death of her mother. Ulysses is forced into retirement after his company “downsizes”. Both are dealing with the effects of society thinking they are too old. They find eachother and decided to spend their days being “old” together with a few surprises along the way.
Rogene Carter
A very philosophical and entertaining look at aging and sudden miracles that can change your whole life.
Kaitlin Mooney
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I picked up this graphic novel in Angoulême at the Museum and Library of Comics bookstore. Its in french, and after spending some time in france and realizing I couldn't even master saying "Sorry I don't speak French" in french I know that I don't know french. However there is something universal about graphic novels and the subject matter of old* people having sex really interested me. I am just trying to find out what my body is going to look like so I am not surprised.

The story is conveyed b
Hgrxanger
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C’est beau, c’est doux. C’est plein de poésie et de lyrisme. C’est une bande-dessinée que j’ai acheté par hasard, qui vient de me mettre du baume au coeur et me faire du bien. C’est une invitation à la tendresse, et ça fait du bien.
Fátima
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this story because there are not many opportunities for readers to get hold of a love story about an older couple. I loved the colors in this book and the art in general with simple language that spoke to me at every page. The themes in this book are also quite interesting: ageism, loneliness, generations clash and sex in old age which was interesting to read about, seeing all the ways it changed the characters and the way they saw themselves. The two main characters have to l ...more
Sakina
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Il n'y a pas d'âge pour découvrir ou redécouvrir les sentiments amoureux et s'épanouir dans une relation amoureuse saine. Une histoire que j'ai trouvée touchante et véritablement magnifique.

Ulysse et Méditéranée ont vécu des vies très distinctes. Chacun de leur côté, ils tentent de se remémorer les maigres raisons qui les maintiennent en vie. Lors d'une visite à la clinique, ils se choisiront.

Les dessins sont superbes, vraiment superbe. La finale pourrait en surprendre plus d'un, mais de mon c
Koen Claeys
In het begin genoot ik van de monologen, de treffende tekeningen, de observaties over oud worden als alleenstaande.... als de 2 elkaar ontmoeten wordt het meer een Disney-vertelling van 2 perfecte bejaarden die je ook op promo-foto's van verzorgingstehuizen kan aantreffen. De vrouw blijkt dan nog een carrière als fotomodel te hebben gehad. Persoonlijk had ik meer meegeleefd met 2 doordeweekse ouderen. Deze strip wordt finaal de nek omgedraaid wanneer alle potentiële inleving helemaal de grond wo ...more
Corinna
Can love blossom in autumn? When Ulysses and Mediterranea meet, they find each other in the "autumn" of their life: he lost his job and she lost her mother.. But together they can heal their wounds and create a new life for themselves (60 is the new 40, right?!)
The artwork is simply wonderful!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy, in exchange for an honest review
Cindy
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Blij dat dit boek me werd aangeraden. Bij momenten confronterend, maar vooral met veel liefde, gevoel en respect getekend en geschreven. Geen vijf sterren omdat ik bij het einde toch wat vraagtekens had...
Elizabeth Mellen
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so good! So many romances leave out this age group, and it was sweet to see them fall for each other

(Warning, this is explicit - there’s lots of nudity, sexual and non-sexual - so if that bothers you it might be best to avoid this)
Trevor
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a delightful read, this was a great uplifting story about to older people who find love and happiness.

The illustrations were great, telling so much of the story, and accompanied by precise text, made for a great read.

I'd love to read more books like this.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Nina
A lovely tale full of poignancy, though sadly with a few some odd duck choices that rubbed me the wrong way. The overarching plot is two senior citizens falling in love and realizing that, far from being over, their lives are only just beginning. Once they stumble across each other, there are endearing flirtations, tender physical intimacy, and a courtship that is beautifully unselfconscious.

Possibly even more powerful is the first third of the book, in which the lives of the forcibly retired tr
Mathilde
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd-manga
Je suis un peu décontenancée par ma lecture, j’ai tellement entendu du bien de cette bande dessinée que je m’attendais à une autre histoire, une autre orientation.

De ce fait, je n’ai pas autant apprécié ma lecture que je le pensais, et cela, à cause de la fin. Car l’histoire est superbe et le message qui est passé est très beau. Mais cette fin était-elle vraiment nécessaire ? Je n’en ai pas compris le besoin.Elle laisse un sentiment bizarre, irréelle alors que justement, j’aurais eu envie que l’
Kate
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, graphicnovel
the eARC did not have any l's so I hope that is something that is fixed before publication!
very cute story of falling in love at any age though I find the twist to be a little unbelievable
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct the title of a book 2 16 Jun 03, 2018 05:17AM