Start by marking “Fresh Princess” as Want to Read:
Fresh Princess

Fresh Princess

Based on The Fresh Prince created by Will Smith, Destiny is the Fresh Princess.

Meet Destiny—a cool, energetic, and strong-willed young girl who approaches every day with her own signature style! That is, until she moves to a brand-new neighborhood, where nothing looks quite the same as it did at her old house.

Even with new challenges and new friends to make, Destiny always
Published April 2nd 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Fresh Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh Princess

Start your review of Fresh Princess
Abigail
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Moving That Feature an African-American Family
Denene Millner, author of the adult Hotlanta series, turns to children's books with this new story, inspired by actor Will Smith and his hit television show, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Destiny, a young girl nicknamed the "Fresh Princess" by her family, must face her biggest challenge yet when her family moves to Philadelphia. Feeling shy and insecure at first, she initially refuses to join the local neighborhood children in their game of Double Dutch. Encouraged by her father and sister ...more
Destinee Sutton
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very disappointed this isn't a little girl version of the lyrics to Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme. It's perfectly fine how it is, but I wish it went like this:

Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there,
I'll tell you how I became PRINCESS of a town called Bel Air.

I mean, don't you want that book?! I certainly do. I'd been looking forward to this and I feel a little cheated.

Instead of moving out of West
Amy Layton
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Inspired by Will Smith'sFresh Prince,Fresh Princess tells the tale of a young jump-roper faced with the prospect of moving to a new place. Where she used to have confidence, she now feels shy--and she doesn't feel quite ready to start jump-roping or double-dutching with the neighbor kids yet. But with fun, colorful illustrations and a fantastic rhyming scheme, Millner and Jose construct a wonderful story that shows the delights to be found in new neighborhoods. Great for grades K-2, and ...more
Matthew Noe
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was adorable
LaShana Avery
Delightful

A very cute book about being brave and conquering your fears. I’d recommend this book to anyone who is moving their little ones to a new city or school.
Mandy
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Childrens picture book. This book's title is unfortunate in my opinion. Many of my generation that grew up watching "The Fresh Prince" on TV spent a lot of time learning the words and the beat of the theme song, trying to keep up with the pace as Will Smith rapped on the screen. I thought this book would be a cute book about a modern girl, with words set to that theme song. Nope. A young black girl moves with her family to West Philadelphia. It's a decent story, about not wanting to move but ...more
Natasha Brown
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a decent book overall. I did not go into this with expectations that it would "rhyme" with the theme song of the show (because the show itself was so much more than just the theme song). As with all books, I kept in mind that this is indeed a CHILDREN'S picture book. As much as I like to tout how cool my 5 & 6-year-old girls are, and their love of all things 90's, they have never seen the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, so the fact that this children's story is not a cute "hip-hop" rhyme, ...more
Maddie Luscy
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Contemporary Realistic Fiction
Awards: None
Audience: 1st-3rd grade
A. The author helped me to relate to the character by making her just like a regular kid. She was scared about moving to a new city and she got boo-boos and tummy aches like every girl her age does. Also, the author shows us from the very beginning that she is a daddy's girl. The author lets us see that she is a princess stuck in an ordinary world who loves to jumprope.
B. The main topic present in this book is friends. When
Nava Rubinstein
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: realistic
Awards: N/A
Grade levels: K-3rd

Summary: Destiny is a special and fresh little girl. Fresh means you're "Brave", have "your own style" and are "supersmart". She loves her family and her life, but she feels terribly sad when she must move away to a new city and away from all her friends. Will Destiny adjust and make new friends?

Review: This book is lovely as it features a powerful little girl who is a POC. She moves to a new house which is something many children can relate to, and shows that it is
Raven Black
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The story is solid, but the moving story has been done before. However, it is a little different this time, but you still get the "upset about moving" and the "jitters" trying to make new friends. The fact that this family is black, but this is not an "issue" they just "are" (the normalcy of this is very refreshing). The fact you also get to see a city will be accessible to kids who live in the city or will be moving. You do have to keep an eye on the illustrations as they will give you some ...more
Amanda
Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Let me start out by saying that I grew up with "Fresh Prince" and loved his swagger, charm, and style. I expected the same from this book, and did NOT find it at all. The entire concept Felt Forced. Blech.

Let me try to be a bit kinder, I thought. I like the art! And then it came to me: if I try to think about this all in Reverse then this book is kind of sort of okay-ish: Fresh Prince moved from West Philly, and Fresh Princess is moving to West Philly. He had confidence; she has none. He had
Nadia L. Hohn
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anthony
Inspired by the Sit-Com Fresh Prince, this story follows a young girl named Destiny who has flair and style. But when she moves to a new neighborhood and becomes the "new girl" she has to figure a way to adjust and make new friends. When a double dutch jump rope, and several girls appear outside her window, the opportunity presents itself for friendship.
Monique
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally, I can walk into the bookstore and see books with characters that look like me. I was excited to read this one before I shared it with my toddlers...my heart is overjoyed. The positive images, words that inspired and introduction to the sitcom Fresh Price will give us hours of conversation. Well done, Denene Milner.
Shacoria
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book has very beautiful illustrations, but other than that nothing about it really stood out to me. It's just your typical fish out of water type of story with a little girl moving to a new place and having to learn to fit in. Also, the only connection I saw between this book and the Fresh Prince is that they both involve Philadelphia.
Mychal Threets
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book that highlights how much of a worry growing up is, and looking for friends. Terrific depictions! Will Smith would be extremely proud of this book. Only thing missing is the dice in the mirror.
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
With Will Smith (The Fresh Prince) as inspiration for this story -- a little girl named Destiny is called Fresh Princess by her dad. When the family moves to a new house in a different city, Fresh Princess has to find her brave self and a way to fit in. She can do it! Great illustrations.
Kelly
Cute book.
Jnase1
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute book!
HerBrina Shepherd
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so adorable! Amazing messages and illustrations throughout! Great read from a child that had to move to a new city.
Rebecca
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it

Such a beautiful book. This is so well written and the pictures are great. I look forward to getting more books by Denene Millner.
Molly
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
A little disappointing.
Nicole
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a cute book to empower children to be themselves.
Susan
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute picture book that might help elementary age kids with a move to a new house.
Stephanie
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read at B&N to myself while A read Fancy Nancy.
Gabrielle
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I still love this. And the little details just make it so much better.
Nay-nay
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book for children and adults. Sometimes we get scared of new places and people, this book helps you to understand that it's okay and change can be a good thing.
Alison N
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet story about being brave and getting out of your comfort zone, with some great illustrations and some love for West Philadelphia. Super fresh!
Holly Letson
This was cute and all, but I was quite disappointed that it wasn't a girl version of the song lyrics or the TV series.

• Hair Love
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao
  • How to Read a Book
  • The Bell Rang
New York Times best-selling author Denene Millner is an award-winning journalist whose insightful and captivating pieces have secured her foothold in the entertainment, parenting, social media and book publishing industries. The former Parenting magazine columnist has penned 25 books, including Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man, co-written with Steve Harvey, an upcoming memoir with actress Taraji ...more