Jump to ratings and reviews

Dream Duet #1

I Dream of Spiders

The move to the remote town of Quarry Hill, Pennsylvania was supposed to help Griffin McGuire start over and forget the two people who betrayed him. As a paramedic at the local hospital, he would still have to interact with people, but the rest of the time he could hole himself away in the secluded cabin he was renting. It was perfect. For the first time in over a year, he felt like he could finally breathe.

That was until he met her.

A woman who doesn’t know her own name or why she was covered in blood and standing in the middle of the road when he found her. Griffin knows he should contact the police, but something is preventing him from going to the authorities. It doesn’t take long for him to realize that he was correct in trusting his instincts. Every time she falls asleep, she dreams and another memory is unlocked. Memories that are horrific and make him want to protect and hide her from the world.

ebook

First published March 19, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Elle Keating

11 books135 followers
Elle Keating is the author of romance books in many different genres including romantic suspense, contemporary romance, paranormal romance, and taboo romance.

Elle grew up in a small suburb in south Jersey, just minutes from Philadelphia. She moved to Pennsylvania but less than two years later, she came running back. Some people call Jersey the Armpit of America, but Elle proudly calls it home and for that reason, you will always find a little bit of Philly and a whole lot of Jersey in her novels.

When Elle isn’t torturing her heroes and heroines (don’t worry, there’s always a happily ever after), she is a public school administrator and enjoys spending time with her husband and 3 children in New Jersey.

For more on Elle and her books, visit ellekeating.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (4%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 19 of 19 reviews
Profile Image for Bex (Beckie Bookworm).
1,867 reviews1,193 followers
March 24, 2019

image5-1.jpeg

3.5 Stars.
So this was an interesting read that I enjoyed.
The title here really caught my attention and I thought it really stood out from the rest of the book names in this particular genre: very original and unique I would have picked it up to investigate further just based on the name alone.
This is a romantic suspense mainly told in dual POV: I say mainly as there is some slight input here from the baddie himself which did give some further clarification into what is actually occurring on both sides of the fence here.
So basic premise Griffen while licking his wounds and anticipating a fresh start in a quiet, nothing happens town manages to almost run a mystery girl over on his way back from the shops.
She's covered in blood from head to toe and when Griffen mentions contacting the police for assistance she is spooked and runs into the nearby woods, he gives chase to assist her (he's a trained paramedic) and she falls and bangs her head on a rock.
Because of a gut feeling and her apparent fear of the law Griff decides to ring his buddy whos a doctor at the local hospital instead: but when The mystery girl awakens she can't remember anything, not even her own name.
So the two mains here Griffen and Clare well as much as I enjoyed this I would have had a deeper overall connection if Griffen wasn't such a douche to Clare (Griff's name for her).
I did struggle to like him mainly because of his unreasonable attitude to Clare.
It's hardly her fault what his ex did to him but she seems to be paying the price for it regardless of that particular fact.
I do understand his lack of trust in woman, though I do think it's a tad unreasonable to blame a whole female-sex for the actions of one bad apple.
I also didn't like the fact that he seemed to be blaming her for his own physical attraction like it was her fault, that well wound me up.
The final nail in the coffin for old Griff was his constant blowing hot and cold with Clare: I found this extremely tiresome indeed.
What I did applaud was the fact that he wasn't a player and didn't sleep around as this seems to be the common norm in books recently, I enjoyed that he was a tad more choosy with his intimate encounters: it really made a welcome change.
So Clare herself I adored she was feisty, self-sufficient and a really likeable individual.
She even managed to forgive Griffen's unnecessary bluster and hot air.
I really appreciated her don't let them grind you down temperament it was refreshing, also she didn't lie around feeling sorry for herself (which she had every right to considering the circumstances here)
You found yourself rooting for her just because you wanted her to catch a break.
So the Mystery surrounding everything here was my favourite part of the story.
I also liked how this was set up further for Tia's (a girl Clare met during her ordeal) future story to be told and that should definitely be an intriguing but heartbreaking one.
One final thought here I did think the finale we are given was slightly anti-climatic.
I just was expected much more than that and was slightly disappointed with how events played out.
I really felt there was no proper closure other than the standard and I would have liked to explore the why and whatnots more in-depth.
So on reflection, this was mostly an enjoyable read: I did have a few slight niggles but I still found myself invested overall and needing to know the outcome here.
This was also really well written and as I said with that particular title how could you not give this a chance.
This gets a thumbs up from my camp.
I voluntary reviewed a copy of "I dream of Spiders".
All opinions expressed here are entirely my own.

image4-1

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com
Profile Image for Kate.
2,047 reviews308 followers
March 14, 2019
3 do we really want to dream of spiders? Stars

Griffin moves out to Quarry Hill to run from his past and what he survived. Got to say I did not see that coming (nice twist there Ms. Keating) the physical wounds might have healed but the emotionally scars are still real.

One night when coming back from the store he nearly runs a woman covered in blood over with his truck. Stopping to ask if she is alright, she runs off knocks her head and then she can’t remember her name and suffers from amnesia. She just knows that the police cannot be involved.

Clare (given by Griffin because we can hardly call her?) wakes up in the hospital with no memory. Griffin takes her in and slowly she starts to remember things but not enough until she goes to Philly.

I liked Clare she is strong yet vulnerable, but she also did think things through doesn’t matter if she had amnesia or not. Seriously you don’t know who is after you or why you got kidnapped but what the hell let us bugger off to Philly.

She is a virgin and he is NOT a manwhore. How about that?

I loved Griffin he has the whole tortured Hero thing going on but what this guy absolutely needed was more closure. One sentence to me does not equate closure. But he is all about the heroine, he is dedicated, loyal and overprotective.

There are some instalust moments going on here especially as the heroine is all for the Hero but I guess seeing as she can’t remember I would probably be all in as well.

I’m a mixed bag of everything when it comes to this book. It has suspense but, in my opinion, drama was created were none was necessary, the Hero behaving like a douche one too many times. Getting back to the suspense and at times it kept me on the age of my seat but here I think that the author could have fleshed some things out. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the writing in this one and the plot.

At the end I was desperate to know if Trent would get back and yes, he will. I can’t wait to read his and Tia’s story.

photo New ARC_zpsdpyxs3wn.jpg
Profile Image for Natasha.
473 reviews25 followers
March 13, 2019
Griffin moves to a small Pennsylvanian town, to get away from his past. What he didn't expect is to meet a girl covered in blood standing in the middle of the road, who doesn't even know her own name. Griffin trys to help her recover her memories piece by piece. What happened to her? What was she running from? And why did she say no police, before she tried running from him?
This romantic thriller was filled with so many questions that you had to continue reading to find the answers to. Does the unknown girl ever get her memories back? And why did Griffin feel the need to live secluded in the woods away from town, and people? You have to pick up this story to find the answers to these, and so many more questions. It was suspenseful, and a little dark and twisted. 4⭐ out of 5⭐.
Profile Image for Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?).
696 reviews172 followers
November 27, 2021
DNF at 12%

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I Dream of Spiders was too unbelievable for me. She wakes up with no memories and very serious injuries, and one of her first thoughts is how attractive someone is. "Even through the fuzziness and the mind-numbing pain, I know this man isn’t just handsome, but stunning." A random guy's appearance should have been the furthest thing from her mind.

Also, Griffin was a creeper. He takes her home after their secret visit to the hospital, because she doesn't want him to involve the police. He doesn't know why, she doesn't know why, but the man trusts his gut. More often than not, Griffin's gut alters the direction of the story. Ah, but it gets worse. He helps her take a shower, thinking she's coherent enough to agree, but she doesn't remember anything about it. She was also super unstable in the shower, and his sole focus should have been on helping her. Instead, he has to make a comment about his dick.

"With her back to me I was able to keep it together, making sure my focus was on cleaning her soiled skin and matted hair; that was until I turned her in my arms. With her eyes half-shut she stumbled, causing her full tits to mash against my soaked through t-shirt. I felt her nipples pebble as I steadied her. My cock twitched, which surprised the shit out of me since there hasn’t been any movement down there in over a year."

Nope. One, she doesn't remember what happened (the night he found her or the shower). She's vulnerable and has injuries she cannot explain, and she's also terrified of the police for some reason. Griffin should have kept his hands to himself, or at least waited until she could shower on her own. Even if she really needed a bath, he could have kept his manbits under control and kept his thoughts from wandering. They shouldn't have been thoughts in the first place!

I was somewhat curious about the girl's past and what brought her to a dark road in the middle of nowhere, but these two characters were just too much ugh.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin' | Amazon | Pinterest
Profile Image for Mel.
708 reviews61 followers
March 19, 2019
3 stars!

Griffin is an ex navy medic who finds himself in Quarry Hill, PA escaping his past and working as a paramedic. No one but his best friend knows his name or what went down a year earlier and he wants to keep it that way. One night on the way home from the store he comes across a woman covered in blood. Griffin tries to help her but she flees and ends up falling and hitting her head. When she wakes with amnesia, she doesn’t know who she is or who she is running from, only that she can’t go to the police.

I Dream of Spiders weaves suspense and romance into a web of mystery. First, we have Griffin and his past that isn’t revealed right away. When we find out what he experienced, it is shocking. I had no idea it was going to be that bad and I completely understand why refuses to let his guard down. Then, there is the mystery woman. Somehow she sneaks into Griffin’s heart and he feels things he hasn’t felt in so long. He wants to protect her from her past and won’t let anyone harm her even though he doesn’t know what they are dealing with.

The woman, who Griffin names Clare since she can’t remember her real name, is strong yet vulnerable. She knows nothing about her past but knows something bad happened. Her fear doesn’t overshadow her need for answers though and I loved her determination even if it leads her to make some questionable decisions.

We get bits and pieces of her past through flashbacks but only enough to wet our palette. I couldn’t wait to discover what she was running from and what she went through. Just when I think I have it figured out new twists are revealed. It’s darker than I expected and I was curious to see how everything would play out.

By the end, while the mystery was captivating, it wrapped up a little too easily and I would have liked to see more. Also, the romance could have been deeper. It felt rushed and I didn’t feel a strong connection between the characters. I wanted to see more feels to back up the love they felt instead of just words. The emotion just wasn’t there.

Overall, I Dream of Spiders was entertaining and enjoyable. I’ll admit that I am really curious about Trent and will definitely be checking out I Fade Away coming Fall 2019.

*ARC generously provided by the author and Inkslinger PR in exchange for an honest review*

March 29, 2019

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An eARC was provided via Inkslinger PR and the Author as part of the Blog Tour. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Trigger Warnings: Physical Abuse, Sexual Abuse, Torture, Violence.

I Dream of Spiders is a romantic thriller with twists and turns + a whole lot of drama that keeps the readers on their toes.

Griffin has moved away from civilization to a small town
to try and move past from a past and the trauma; emotional and physical, that he went through.

But one night, on the way back home, he almost runs over a woman covered in blood. And if that wasn’t surprising enough, the fact that she desperate enough to make sure that he doesn’t call the cops, gets his hackles right up. So, with the help of his best friend, Trent, makes sure she gets the medical help she needs under the radar.

But it’s when she wakes up with no memory that ends up being the start of something that neither Griffin nor Clare (the name that Griffin gives the nameless girl) – and the fact that there is an instant attraction between them complicates the matter even more.

Here’s where I have mixed feelings about the book – the suspense in the plot is edgy; and we also get multiple POVs including that of the bad guy (yes, we already know who the bad guy is!); but what makes it better is that we get to know exactly what happened to Clare as we go along the story.

But what I didn’t enjoy was the unnecessary drama between Clare and Griffin – I get that Griffin was reticent about opening up after the betrayal he just suffered through and with Clare’s memory an uncertainty – but it was unnecessarily dragged on when it could have been sorted out with a simple communication. (In fact, what irritated me was the reveal about Griffin’s past didn’t come from him, but from Trent.)

The climax as well, ended up being rushed – yet it was a suspense that I definitely enjoyed and that Trent will be getting his chance at happiness with Tia is something I am definitely looking forward to.

For more reviews visit For The Love of Fictional Worlds :)

Do come join us at For The Fictional Worlds Facebook Page
| Twitter | Instagram  | Goodreads  | Amazon |
Profile Image for Heather,.
71 reviews1 follower
April 1, 2019
Elle Keating is a new to me author. I’ve heard of her work, but I have never had the chance to indulge until now. I Dream of Spiders kept me entertained and I never found myself bored. I honestly didn’t know what was going to happen, I love when a book is unpredictable.

Griffin McGuire is on the run from his past. He moves to a small secluded town so he can have a fresh start. His Navy buddy has a cabin out in the woods he doesn’t really want to deal with, so Griffin jumps at the chance and moves in. It’s far enough away from people but close enough to his new job as a paramedic for the town hospital.

Suffering from PTSD, Griffin is not looking for a relationship or a companionship for that matter. That is until he finds a woman in the road that is bloody and can’t remember who she is. She is scared and lost so he takes her in with hopes to nurse her back to normal….but what is normal?
Profile Image for A.J. Andersen.
Author 6 books289 followers
March 21, 2019
InkSlinger PR provided me a copy of I Dream of Spiders in return for my honest review. Elle Keating is a new to me author... I wish I had discovered her books sooner!

I Dream of Spiders was riveting! I could hardly out it down. Just the right amount of suspense, passion and love. It was great!!!
Profile Image for Kristen Johnson.
1,167 reviews50 followers
March 26, 2019
I Dream of Spiders was my first book by Elle Keating, but I'm sure it won't be my last. Keating delivers a wonderfully suspenseful novel within the pages of this book, one that not only draws you in, but captivates even further with every flip of the page.

Griffin's struggling to move on with his life after dealing with some major stuff, He needs to hide himself away for a little while to work through his pain and anger and figure out what he's going to do next, so his friends cabin in the middle of nowhere seems like the perfect place to be, until he almost runs over a woman in the road kicking off quite the mystery.

The story takes us on a wandering path, learning more about Griffin and what he's been through while also trying to figure out what our mystery woman has been through, who she's running from, and what happened to her. The story is written with quite the mysterious tone, but gives little details here and there, allowing you to piece things together without offering up the whole answer so keeping you hooked from page to page.

I loved the interspersed POVs in this book, because it really helped me dig deeper into the story and learn these characters more.

With it's mysterious edge, an undeniable connection and attraction between these two characters and a story that will keep you guessing, I Dream Of Spiders will keep you guessing as you wait to find out if our mystery woman ever learns the truth and what will become of her and Griffin if and when she does.

I was provided an early copy of this book but this review and all thoughts are mine.
Profile Image for Misty (Reds Romance Reviews).
2,890 reviews6 followers
December 10, 2019
After the last couple of years that he has had Griffin McGuire is ready for some much needed peace and quiet and his friends secluded cabin seems to be the perfect place to land. Coming to Quarry Hill holds a lot of hope for a fresh start, it's a place where no one knows him or the dramatic past that he carries with him. For the first time in a long time he sees the possibility of a life without all the pain, hatred and loss he's harbored for so long... and it feels good.

But just as he is about to get settled into his new life and start his new job, a beautiful lost soul wanders into his life and turns it upside down. As much as he wants to avoid the drama and danger that surrounds her, he just can't seem to convince himself to stay away from her... she needs saving and he wants to be the one to rescue her.

I Dream of Spiders is an emotionally charged romantic suspense tale that will have you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. It didn't take long for these characters sneak into my heart, and steal my attention, their story was so captivating. What they brought to the pages was impossible not to get wrapped up in, their story was rough on the heart at times... but there were also moments that brought some joy to it too. I am anxious to see how Trent's story unfolds, if it is anything like this one then I know I am bound to love it! I really enjoyed what I found between the pages of this one, it had suspense to keep me engaged, steamy moments to curl the toes, and tender moments to squeeze the heart. Highly recommend!

I requested an advanced copy of this title from the publisher, and I am voluntarily leaving my honest opinion.
Profile Image for Brandy Roberts.
2,028 reviews46 followers
March 25, 2019
I thought I dream of spiders was really interesting story it would be the first one that I've read by the Elle Keating and I'm excited to read more by her . The way the characters meet had my attention and held on I wanted to discover what happened and what was going to happen . Lets just say Griffin and the heroine both haven't had a pleasant past when it's reveled what things they were faced with my heart really broke for them so happy they found each other . I'm a fan of an amnesia plot they are so intriguing and the author did such a good job with this one . I hope to read more about these characters and the secondary ones in the future .
I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book
****************************************
hero=9 heroine=9 secondary characters=9
Chemistry=8 steam=6 romance=6
humor=3 darkness level=4 action=3 mystery=4
enjoyment=10 angst=3 story line=10 Story ending=9
character development=10 pacing=10
cover=10 Blurb =10 Stars =4
Is this part of a series = no but I hope so
Can it be read as a standalone = yes
would I recommend this book=yes
would I re read this book=yes
would I read future books by this author= yes
Profile Image for 2OCC Reviews.
3,428 reviews238 followers
March 21, 2019
I had to sit on this book a while after reading it because I have no clue how to review it. It is a very intense romantic suspense novel. I loved the characters. Both of the main characters had their own issues and I liked seeing them come to terms with them and working on becoming their better selves. Griffin was awesome. I really loved his friendship with Trent and then how well he took care of the heroine. I’m not going to put a name for her because it was a while before she really got one in the book. It helps feed the suspense aspect too.

The amnesia plot is always fun. The author was able to put us in the heroine head and made my heart break for her. Everything that she is going through, remembering..... it was all just beautifully done. Now I did struggle with feeling the love between the two mains. I mean sure, they had this awesome attraction but once we got to the whole feelings of love..... it sadly just wasn’t super believable to me. Even with that I really liked the story and look forward to seeing Trent get a book. 4 stars #2OCCJD
Profile Image for Myra Espino .
1,167 reviews64 followers
March 19, 2019
I Dream Of Spiders, interesting read.
The story started ok, but as the story goes I was curious on what happened to the heroine - how she ended up with no memories and all. I was having some speculations on the spiders and I was right. Anyway, Griffin I am not really a fan of him. He's hot one minute and then cold the next. I sometimes want to smack the living shit out of him on some parts. Lol. Tho I love his friend Trent more. The heroine, she's ok. Love her spirit. The story, it was ok. Not much boom factor like the ones that I'm used to. I can't explain what but I was looking for something in this book.
Overall, it's an ok read. Interesting and intriguing.
Looking forward to reading Trent's story. :)
Profile Image for Sharrice.
1,187 reviews64 followers
April 7, 2019
Griffin left the service to be with his wife and start a family. He never expected to be betrayed by the two people in his life he trusted more than anything.

Now moving to a remote town with his friend from the service he'll do anything to start over and not form any attachments. That is until he almost runs over a girl covered in blood.

The girl, who Griffin names Clare, doesn't remember who she is or where she came from. She has no memory beyond waking up in the hospital with Griffin. When she dreams she has flashbacks, flashbacks about her life and the sex trafficking ring going on in Griffin's new town.

I Dream of Spiders was a fine book. I didn't like how Griffin was constantly a dick all the time, and while I understood his motives, it didn't make me like him much. My other huge dislike was the whole romance stuff. Like it felt very rushed. I get finding someone attractive, but to just jump into having sex after you've been traumatized it felt icky to me in all the wrong ways.

Overall, again a fine book I wouldn't necessarily recommend to rush and pick up. It's unique and has decent enough pacing with lots of mystery that was both terrifying and engaging to figure out.
Profile Image for Beverly Southern Babes Book Blog.
429 reviews13 followers
April 1, 2019
This is the first book I’ve read by this author, an I really enjoyed the story. I liked the flow of the story and how well the characters went together. Griffin and Clare’s story will keep you on the edge of your seat.

What would you do if you almost hit a woman with your truck? Well you get out and find way more then you thought you would. Griffin moved to a new town to start over let the past stay in the past. He starts a new job soon and is looking forward to moving on with his life. Then a mystery woman pops out of the woods and his life is turned upside down. Never in a million years did Griff think he would let a woman in his life again. Especially one that has no idea who she is. The road is a bumpy one, twist and turns I didn’t see coming. Sad and beautiful all at the same time.
Displaying 1 - 19 of 19 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.