Start by marking “The Lost Diary of M” as Want to Read:
The Lost Diary of M

The Lost Diary of M

An engrossing debut novel that cannily reimagines the extraordinary life and mysterious death of bohemian Georgetown socialite Mary Pinchot Meyer secret lover of JFK, ex-wife of a CIA chief, sexual adventurer, LSD explorer and early feminist living by her own rules.

She was a longtime lover of JFK.

She was the ex-wife of a CIA chief.

She was the sister-in-law of the
Published February 25th 2020 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Diary of M, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Diary of M

Start your review of The Lost Diary of M
Marialyce
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are times in a fictional recounting of a real person you wonder what is true and what is in the fiction category. I kept on thinking in reading this book, that even if a small portion of this fictionalized diary was true, how scary our world was. It was a time when a nuclear holocaust seemed to be our future. In school, I do remember hiding under our desks for our bomb drills (ridiculous really) and seeing on television the escalation of tensions, and always the videos captured of that ...more
Christine Cazeneuve
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First thank you to Paul Wolfe and Harper Collins for an e-ARC copy of the book in exchange for an honest opinion of the book.

Why am I not surprised I have never heard of Mary Pinchot, I don't think it is because I was born in 1959 so I was young when Kennedy was shot but we never hear about the women behind great men. This is a terrific and intriguing book and is about the relationship between Mary and Jack from their first encounter to their last.

Mary is a woman, not ahead of her time because
Davida Chazan
The premise of this book was to invent or create a diary written by Mary Pinchot, a woman who was apparently one of JFK's lovers, whose murder is unsolved to this day. Wolfe is a marvelous writer, and his prose is beautiful. However, I'm not sure that he carried it off completely. Find out what I liked and didn't like in my #bookreview of this novel on my blog here. https://tcl-bookreviews.com/2020/02/2...
Onceinabluemoon
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Didn't read the synopsis and went in blind, found it wildly entertaining, but then googled Mary and was stunned this was a real Washington woman. After lots of research I jumped back in much more enlightened and thoroughly enjoyed my fictitious musings. Fascinating look at historical events through creative writing.
Jamie Rutland Gillespie
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was born in 1960 and I had never even heard of Mary Pinchot Meyer until I read this book. It is written as a fictional diary (not the actual diary of Ms. Meyer), which I thought was an interesting and fresh idea. It seems that Ms. Pinchot was a "wild child" at heart. She used drugs and was very free spirited. According to this fictional diary, JFK confided in his mistress (who was also the ex-wife of a CIA agent).

After I read a few chapters of this book, I honestly could not put it down. It
Tina
Some of this book I found very boring and some of it I found very good. I loved the ending. After I finish it I am glad I read it, but it is not a book I will remember as the time passes. I won an arc of this book from a goodreads giveaway, but this review is 100% my own opinion.
Grace
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like a good conspiracy theory (or was it just the truth?), this book is an excellent read. Although familiar with JFK having affairs, I knew next to nothing about the artist Mary Pinchot Meyer. "The Lost Diary of M: A Novel" paints a picture of what the final years of Mary's life might have looked like.

Regardless of whether or not you buy into the conspiracy theories about the CIA's transgressions, this book provides a glimpse back to what life was like in DC during the Kennedy
Samantha
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book did nothing for me really. The true story of the life and death of Mary Pinchot Meyer fascinates me. But this diary form of her life is just so grandiose that it was kind of hard to read. Her intimate moments with JFK were what allowed me give this book two stars instead of just one.
Tammy Adams
Would love to know how much, if any, of this is true.
Sarah Beth
I received an uncorrected proof copy of this novel from HarperCollins.

Written as a fictional diary, this novel explores the secret life of Mary Pinchot Meyer, who was a longtime lover of President John F. Kennedy and who was mysteriously murdered a year after his death. This novel depicts Mary as unrestricted by society's typical rules surrounding women. She is divorced, sleeps with the married president, strips down to her skin and dives in pools at parties, and is an ardent advocate of the
Becky
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2020
Thank you to the publisher for my free copy of this book.

The Lost Diary of M is a fictional account of Mary Pinchot Meyer's diary. Meyer was a mistress of JFK's during his presidency - I don't think that is officially confirmed but it was widely known. Meyer's ex-husband was Cord Meyer of the CIA and she ran in circles with other CIA wives, artists in Washington DC (she was a painter) and other socialites. Meyer was mysteriously murdered in 1964. Her life was very much out of the public eye and
Kathleen Gray
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wolfe has made a good effort at illuminating the life of Mary Pinchot Meyer, who is one of the lesser known but no less important enduring conspiracy theory mysteries of Washington. Whew. She had incredible connections in DC, the most obvious of which is, of course, her affair with President Kennedy. This is a fictionalized diary- she actually did keep a diary which has never been found- and while it's mostly focused on her relationship and thoughts about JFK, you might also find yourself doing ...more
Lovely Loveday
The Lost Diary of M: A Novel by Paul Wolfe is a captivating historical fiction that pulls you in from the beginning. A story that is full of mystery and intrigue that is sure to keep you turning pages. The Lost Diary of M is an engrossing story about the extraordinary life and mysterious death of bohemian Georgetown socialite Mary Pinchot Meyer. The secret lover of JFK and x-wife of a CIA chief shares shocking diary entries and are sure to shock you to your core. Secrets that remained hidden ...more
Judith Sherrod
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The List Diary of M

I couldn't put it down. From page one until the end! This might be a work of fiction but it certainly hit the marks of history. I urge you to read it and enjoy it. I was in DC during some of the Kennedy Presidency and this brings back so many memories. Enough said. Please READ !!
Moira
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read. Its a debut novel that reimagines an extraordinary life and mysterious death of a well known DC socialite. The ex-wife of a high ranking CIA agent, lover of a president, student of Timothy Leary - the 60s unfold in a behind the scenes fashion in diary entries over a four year period. ...more
Rick
Mar 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Just another book pimping the JFK assassination.
One relevant sentence from the next-to-last page:
"It is a strange brand of tragedy to be aware of crimes
of immense proportions but crimes you cannot stop
because you care first for for the survival of the Company,
and second for the survival of the nation."
Lea
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
The true story of the life and death of Mary Pinchot Meyer appears to be very interesting but the format of this book lost me. I know it is supposed to read like a dairy but it just did not flow and was so disjointed. I could not connect with the writing style.
Catherine
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any story about JFK and his mistresses will intrigue me. I know its fiction, but I did learn a lot about some of the socialites and key players surrounding JFK. And like any good historical fiction, it prompted me to google information about Mary Pinchot Meyers. ...more
Sonja
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Disappointing!
Val Sprague
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
It was just ok, kind of slow. The story was interesting, but it lacked something.
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an unexpectedly strange and engrossing novel, so much better and richer than I was expecting. 4.5 stars
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise that falls flat. This book didn't work for me. I found myself skimming diary entries until the next time Mary saw Jack. Their interactions weren't that interesting, either.
Cynthia
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Overall pretty good and a fast read. It got boring towards the middle.
Mar 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Terrible. Not worth the time it took to read.
Darlene Cruz
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With historical and political overtone add a very personal relationship between MS. M and JFK you got something to keep you reading. Jackie in Paris, Jack feeling frisky, hmm.... there's more to the than the roar of the Atlantic surf.
Steve Mckinney
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this in a goodreads giveaway contest and did not have high expextations. However it turned out to be the most fascinating book I have red this year. Mary gives you a peek into the lives of some very famous and fascinating people. This one is well worth your time.
Ron Frampton
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story of another person involved this JFK that dies mysteriously.
Andrea
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Saint X
  • The Girl in White Gloves
  • The Prized Girl
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Lady Clementine
  • The Other Mrs.
  • Creatures
  • The Regrets
  • Me
  • When We Were Vikings
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • The Pathless Journey: Thoughts on the Nature and Development of Consciousness and Self-Awareness (#1)
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)
  • And They Called It Camelot: A Novel of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
  • The Amateurs
  • Immortal Born (Argeneau #30)