Start by marking “Goniąc czarne jednorożce. Jak polski Wilk z Wall Street został afrykańskim terrorystą” as Want to Read:

Milioner, celebryta, partner Wicemiss Świata, self-made-biznesmen Marek Zmysłowski zbudował Amazona Afryki i stał się jedną z najbardziej znanych postaci afrykańskiej branży IT. Pewnego dnia okazało się jednak, że jest też poszukiwanym przez Interpol międzynarodowym zbiegiem. Jak do tego doszło?

Zanim Zmysłowski wylądował w Nigerii, zrobił błyskawiczną karierę i łatwą kasę
Published February 27th 2019 by Agora S.A.

Be the first to ask a question about Goniąc czarne jednorożce. Jak polski Wilk z Wall Street został afrykańskim terrorystą

Start your review of Goniąc czarne jednorożce. Jak polski Wilk z Wall Street został afrykańskim terrorystą
Marek Zmyslowski
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Average book written by average scribbler, jokes not funny. Didn't read it.
Grzegorz Stachyra
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling,inspiring and breathtaking biography written by the most spectacular Polish businessman.
Really recommend it for everyone who achieved success and also for everyone who has not enough power or inspiration.This book has changed my point of view ,it gave me optimism and wings.
Well done Marek
Congratulation!
Daniel
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was sent a free English copy of the book by the author because I liked Chaos Monkey. Thanks, Marek!

Marek is a Pole who was a nerd but left school to become one of the best sellers of Insurance products in a small town in Poland. Then he built an online funeral service in Poland. That did not sit well with the Funeral Mafia. Then he took investor money and went to Nigeria to build the biggest hotel booking business of that country, Jovago. He became a media star in Nigeria. Things were hard in
Rosie Amber
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Chasing Black Unicorns is an autobiography about internet entrepreneur Marek Zmysłowski.

After growing up in Poland and finding success as a salesman, he learnt how to create start-up businesses. He went on to create his own online funeral services company, which provided him with a very steep learning curve because of the way that funerals had traditionally been run. His drive to succeed in commerce then led him to a large international company and the opportunity to head their start-up o
Matt Kelland
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Reading this was a very timely reminder of why I'm glad I no longer work for tech startups and don't have anything to do with VCs. It was a good time in my life, until I realized it wasn't. The story of how Marek Zmysłowski built up several companies is in equal parts comedy and horror.

I have to admit I felt very ambivalent throughout a lot of this. On the one hand, I had little interest in his playboy antics. The drugs, booze, women, fast cars, all that stuff, just left me waiting for him to g
Collins Chijioke
This book made my mind travel through the numerous scene. Awesome read and accurate description of Nigeria especially especially her police force and weddings. Humour is found in every chapter and careful description of African culture and tribes. Highly recommended for all entrepreneurs who wish to invest in Africa.
Craigd
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really a great book, but I got to give it 4 stars because there is this great build up to just an ending. The book opens with Marek gettin arrested and we have 90% of the book building up to the arrest. Then we are slammed through the arrest and court cases in the last 10%. Really felt like his publisher is sitting behind him say, "yea, yeah, good enough just end it so we can push it out."
Michał Okoński
Amazing book, different perspective of living in the difficult environment. Funny, full of adventures and good tips about startups.
Maciej Borowiak
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I think of Zmysłowski, another Polish book writer comes to my mind - a famous, journalist and great story-teller Ryszard Kapuściński. Kapuściński was a first Polish correspondent to cover Africa - its people, customs and geographical features. Zmysłowski is the first Polish entrepreneur to do business on the continent. Both of them reveal secrets but from a slightly different angle and time perspective. Zmysłowski has had extensive experience in insurance and finances.

Nevertheless, his boo
Piotr Gajda
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is very good. In the literary layer, this may not be a masterpiece, but the value lies elsewhere. Marek's story is a record of experience and his path as an entrepreneur. Light, very interesting and inspirational. In addition, an attentive reader - entrepreneur will find many tips for himself. A must have!
Jerzy Lipinski
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What's nice about this book is that it's based in the real world. There are no "magic bullets" or other forms of snake oil being sold here. The book is honest that some parts of running a startup are terrible and that you'll probably have to struggle to get by. Grate portion knowledge of Africa's business potential. Highly recommended.
Michał Anulewicz
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story about totally different culture and reality than European. Shares a lot of interesting adventures of a self-made man from Poland who has the courage to show the world how things should be done. Great person and nice man.
Zauberin
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books about Africa, start-ups and building successful business from scratch. The author has a great sense of humor, lots of interesting stories to tell and really builds up the tension when describing some of his frightening experiences. Honestly recommend!
Lukas Glowa
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you will not be able to break away. It draws you, takes suspense and teaches. The book inspires, shows the backstage of business and personal development. I highly recommend!
Marcel
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story! To be inspired You don’t have to read about famous silicon valley hero. Just read about polish enterprenauer in Nigeria.
Pawel
cool story bro
Gunner Laine Hardy
Interesting work, it’s an understatement to call it bill Browder’s red notice meets Nigeria! It’s written with great humor and in a honest and insightful way.
Trung Nguyen Dang
The first part reads like the author's fun and eye-opening business and life adventures in Africa. The second part reads like a smaller-scale of the book "Red Notice" by Bill Browder. The author actually had a Red Notice on him after falling out with a an Indian business partner in Nigeria.

Captivating and funny stories. Highly recommended for everyone. You can read to learn how to do business in Africa or just for fun.
Carl
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you arent too PC and enjoy a bit bro a fun story
Marcin Machnio
Interesting, smart and inspiring. I recommend to everyone as one of the most interesting business books with a fast-paced action and extraordinary history.
Aline
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marek's book is fantastic! The story is inspiring, interesting, full of details and the fact that it is a real story makes you don't want to stop reading. I like books like that, which add value to my life and make me want more! Amazing book.
Marcin
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before I started reading this book I heard some bad informations about Marek. Mostly
focused on his law problems in Africa. Now when I closed this book I still can't be sure is those news real or fake, but I know that Marek is a good writer and have gone through a lot of fascinating adventures. He described it in entertaining way with a lot of humor.
I openly recommend this book. It helped me in very tough situation.
Ahmad Piraiee
"Chasing Black Unicorns" is in essence, an autobiography ( or a memoir as it provides a more intimate relationship to the writer's memories, feelings, and emotions than a chronological telling of one's experience), a swiss army knife for life. You learn all the benefits of working, from a gay bar to working on a MacBook and drink a Soy latte. From difficulties in central Europe to the heart of Africa. From selling insurance to running a multimillion-dollar company. But beyond that, how to live o ...more
NormaCenva
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This was so interesting! And very unusual.
A wild-ride of a read for sure.
Enjoyable, educational and funny at times.
Recommended!
Daliso Ngoma
I’d have to say it was a good book to read in getting a European perspective on Africa, or Nigeria to be exact. This I would like to add would be in respect to building an e-commerce business from scratch with the backing of Rocket Internet.

One of the gripes I had were the various types such as grammar but also figures in terms of numbers where extra zeros were added and not making much sense.

Marek has a comedic way of how he approached his life in the book, and like most biographies it gave mor
Wojciech Myszka
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book is awesome! Marek is sharing lot of moments from his life at the early stage of book, showing that life is not straight path andyou need to learn a lot before you start achiving your first sucesses. during reading this book you will also find many funny moments. You can also learn about how Africa really is from this book. I strongly reccomed to read the book or listen to audiobook.
Andrzej Jasina
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have applied for a General Surgery Internship in Kigali, Rwanda, one week after finishing this book. I just got accepted and will spend there 4 months next year. I have never left Europe until now and the most exotic journey of my life was one week all inclusive trip to Corfu in Greece. This is the kind of impact this book had on me. And let it be my review.
Feyishara
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read
Oskeed Edogun
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains information from sales to business and technology. Its a must have for both African and foreign enterpreneurs.
Vijay Ivaturi
This book covers the journey of Marek Zmyslowski right from his college days to his initial work as financial adviser in Europe and finally to his adventures of running a hotel booking business in Africa. Marek brings a lot of wit into the narrative and makes an honest attempt to lighten the seriousness of situations he had to go through. The book also gives a high level view of what typically happens in bigger firms that are brains behind such startups.

But the narrative takes a long time to co

• My Storm Chasing Journal: With A Cute Unicorn, Blank Lined Notebook Journal Gift Idea With Black Background Cover
  • Siła Pędu - Lech Kaniuk
  • Zaufanie, czyli waluta przyszłości. Moja droga od zera do 7 milionów z bloga
  • Art of Freedom: The Life and Climbs of Voytek Kurtyka
  • Emigracja
  • Gad. Spowiedź klawisza
  • Statystycznie rzecz biorąc, czyli ile trzeba zjeść czekolady, żeby dostać Nobla?
  • Nie ma
  • Horyzont
  • Finansowy ninja
  • A ja żem jej powiedziała...
  • Humans: A Brief History of How We F*cked It All Up
  • Powrót z Bambuko
Marek Zmysłowski is a Polish-born entrepreneur and executive, focused on online businesses in Frontier and Emerging Markets.

He co-founded HotelOnline.co, a Hospitality Technology Company, and Jumia Travel, Africa’s Biggest Hotel Booking Portal, with backing from Rocket Internet and Goldman Sachs. In 2014, he was chosen as one of the Ten Most Important People in Tech by IT News Africa Magazine. He

News & Interviews