Start by marking “Shout Out” as Want to Read:
Shout Out

Shout Out

Bold queer heroes seize the spotlight!

Join us on the adventures of young demon hunters, star-crossed Viking lovers, and cyberpunk street artists as we invite you into new worlds where brave heroes with diverse queer identities demonstrate the strength of their hearts and the power of their dreams!

Inside this book you’ll find eighteen LGBTQ2SIA+ stories crafted by award-win
Published May 2019 by TO Comix Press

To ask other readers questions about Shout Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shout Out

Start your review of Shout Out
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
What a fantastic collection of short stories! I adore positive queer rep in books, especially happy queer rep written by queer authors, so I jumped at the chance to read this anthology and I adored every moment of it. There are so many talented creators involved in the making of Shout Out, and so many lovable stories within it. I won't go into detail of every single story, but I would like to name off my favorites:

Amaranthine
In the introductory story, a garden spirit receives an unexpe
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
I definitely recommend! Check out my review on Quill & Quire here: https://quillandquire.com/review/shou... ...more
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Shout Out is an anthology unlike any other that I have read before. This graphic novel is diverse and full of interesting stories. If you are a fan of the genre, this is one book to check out!

I haven’t read that many graphic novels, but this book is something that really piqued my interest when I first heard about it. The concept is so fantastic and the amount of thought that has gone into its design is absolutely phenomenal. There is something for everyone to enjo
Maia
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: comics, lgbtq
I was very impressed by this collection of LGBTQ genre stories. Some standouts include one in which a teenage boy summons a demon to help him decide if he is gay; one of a Viking being reunited with his lover in Valhalla after a heroic death; one about an asexual and aromantic necromancer; one about rival food delivery service people (so much more at stake when you are racing against your ex); one about a nonbinary dentist to magical creatures who befriends a werewolf; and one about queer graffi ...more
Kathy
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is pure queer joy and I just want more of it.
Anne-Marie
I saw this randomly at Librarie Drawn & Quarterly in Montreal and am so glad I picked it up on a whim.

This is an absolutely amazing, feel-good, chock full of talented writers/artists/letterers, #ownvoices anthology of SFF queer/LGBTQ2SIA+ comics.
Each story features different love stories (most romantic, some platonic) in various science fiction and fantasy genres at the YA/teen level of appropriateness (basically nothing explicit).
It’s basically everything happy and lovely that you want to re
Sara
This anthology was everything I needed right now: great art, easy, adorable stories to dip in and out of and queer characters just living their best lives.

Here are my favourites:
-How To Summon a Demon
-Ergi
-Sunlight
-Show me your Teeth
-Shine so Bright
-Manicita and the Songkeeper (I want this one to be a full length graphic novel SO BAD)

Very excited to have a new list of authors and artists to check out!! And please, I want more anthologies like this!

Ps. The views expressed in this review are
The Sapphic Nerd
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oftentimes with anthologies, you never know what you’re going to get – a mix of creators means a mix of quality, right? Not so with Shout Out. Not only is there plenty of representation from all over the sex and gender spectrums, they’re good stories that show various cultures, time periods, alternate universes, fantasy worlds, relationship types and situations. These are stories young queer people can read and see themselves reflected in. Shout Out strives to inspire and bring hope and enjoymen ...more
Emily Forsyth
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

I always find anthologies so hard to rate because there’s some I really liked and some I didn’t, but they’re all so short that it’s hard to really say much about them. I enjoyed this though
Katy
I almost enjoyed the author bios as much as the stories themselves, because such a wonderfully interesting and diverse mix of humans brought this anthology into existence. SUCH a great selection of stories, most are very very short and come across as just punchy, bright queer little moments. It's a bit cutesy but I loved that, personally. A couple stories were misses for me but it was almost a sweep. Really great! ...more
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

With a tremendous and far-ranging roster of authors and artists, the Shout Out comics anthology is an exceptional read. Featuring "eighteen LGBTQ2SIA+ stories crafted by award-winning international creators", this momentous aimed-for-teens-and-up anthology includes stories by Killian Ng, Kelly and Nichole Matthews, Joamette Gil, Sunny Ôchumuk, Shaina Lu, Derrick Chow, Elodie Chen, and more phenomenal writers and artists. Shout Out contains a glorious mix of genre stories- everything from romance
Nico
My heart is full.

*Puts on announcer voice* Are you looking for happy and incredibly diverse Own Voices stories in many worlds of fantasy that make you want to cry with joy? Read. This. Book.

*clears throat* No really. I mean it. I will be shoving this anthology of LGBTQIA+ comics on every person I know, and maybe some strangers as well, just for good measure. The diversity and representation in here is absolutely off the charts, and it's published in Toronto. Yep, I'm officially beside myself.

I
Nicole Field
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gosh this was a gorgeously soft read that was able to be completed in a single afternoon. All of them revolve around queer characters and are written and illustrated by queer (mostly nonbinary) authors and artists.

I only knew a couple of the authors from this collection: Lindsay Smith, as well as the creator of The Wicked and the Divine. As is common for me with reading new creatives, the ones I'd never heard before were my favourite.

The first three in a row continued to be my favourite storie
Meepelous
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
An extremely creative and positive collection of queer stories, relationships are pretty central to the collection although I would not say that they are all romance. A whole spectrum of gender and sexuality are represented.

Race is another point of diversity in this book both as far as creators and characters.

Unless I missed something class was not really a focus of any of the stories. I'm even less sure if ability vs disability was touched on at all. My default is to kind of to assume no, but
Jim
What a fantastic series of shorts by some great writers and great artists! So much positivity!
Amanda
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gettin-graphic, ya, glbtq
This comic anthology is all of my jam. The comics are short, romantic and penned by some great writers and inked by just as great illustrators. They're like perfectly-sized bits of fluff. Highly recommend. ...more
Amanda
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great assortment of queer positive stories from some of my favorite writers and artists. Well done!
Andrew
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic collection of stories from an exciting array of voices.
Anthony
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really wonderful collection of short comics centered on LGBTQIA+ characters by queer creators. All genres and styles of relationships are depicted equally and without judgment.
Kara
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this anthology! I’m always wanting more happy queer stories and this was full of them.
Nathan Frechette
What an amazing and well-curated collection of shorts!
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, colourful, joyful, and diverse stories. A great anthology. The artwork was gorgeous - especially the colouring. The stories were fun and diverse, both in their subject matter and in their character makeup. Like any anthology some stories were stronger than others, but I overall really enjoyed this and want more people to read it.
Sabree Koonce
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not going to lie, I originally picked up this book because the cover was colorful and visually appealing. I am very glad that I did pick up this collection of short stories though because it was full of so many beautiful stories of queer representation. There were tear jerkers, fantastic adventures, invigorating battles, and so much more.
Kat
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Lots of fun and diverse short comics.
Soobie's scared
Well, I backed three anthologies by TO Comics and this one is the best so far. The others being Wayward Sisters: An Anthology of Monstrous Women and Wayward Kindred.

Amaranthine by Joamette Gil and Kelly & Nichole Matthews: ★★★
I like both the art and the plot. And there's a ghost, which is always a plus.

How to Summon a Demon by CJ Walker: ★★★★
The art isn't really my thing but this is probably the best story in the anthology.

The Name of the Forest by Day Irwin and Vivian Ng: ★★★
Good one. I like th
Shannon (That's So Poe)
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
This YA collection of queer SFF/superhero short comics has a lot to offer! The collection as a whole is focused on centering and uplifting queer characters as the heroes, celebrating their strength rather than just looking at their trauma. It's beautiful and heart-warming with absolutely stunning art. I particularly loved "How to Summon a Demon" by CJ Walker and "The Name of the Forest" by Day Irwin, illustrated by Vivian Ng. They both brought me such joy! There were a number of other comics in ...more
B
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every story was great and well formed. My expectations for anthologies has been raised thanks to this book and others collaborated with Nalo Hopkinson. Its perfectly uplifting stories were sweet and sentimental yet realistic.The diversity is all over the place and its to die for.
The stories ranged from futuristic to magic and yet each felt like they were driving toward the same goal. To call this anthology perfect is an understatement.Just read this book already
Lyle
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Credit changes 8 25 Apr 15, 2019 06:46PM

• A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities
  • Gender Queer
  • Immortal Souls (Power & Magic: Queer Witch Comic Anthology, #2)
  • Stage Dreams
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns
  • Wayward Kindred
  • Wayward Sisters: An Anthology of Monstrous Women
  • Group Chat - A Comics Anthology about Friendship and Found Family
  • The Impending Blindness of Billie Scott
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
  • Once Upon an Eid
  • Man-Eaters, Vol. 2
  • On a Sunbeam
  • Witchlight
  • The Maids & Deathwatch
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)

News & Interviews