Start by marking “The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan” as Want to Read:
The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan

The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan

CHINA, 484 A.D.

A Warrior in Disguise
All her life, Mulan has trained for one purpose: to win the duel that every generation in her family must fight. If she prevails, she can reunite a pair of priceless heirloom swords separated decades earlier, and avenge her father, who was paralyzed in his own duel.

Then a messenger from the Emperor arrives, demanding that all families se
Expected publication: September 10th 2019 by Tu Books

Chaima ✨ شيماء
my heart says yes but my bank account says, "girl, you've got too many books on your cart for someone with 5 euros to their name"

but...A! MULAN! RETELLING!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
MULAN RETELLING!!!?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I really hope this is legit.

Ooo this finally has a title! The Magnolia part really makes me think of the Mulan Chinese drama I watched a while back.
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
Last time a book lured me in with the promise of a Mulan retelling, I was so disappointed because the storyline barely resembled Mulan, save for the fact that the heroine dressed as a boy (yes, Flame in the Mist, I'm looking at you). But this premise sounds more like an actual retelling. Written by a Chinese-American author who knows her shit. So, you'd better deliver me what you promise, book!

Simona Bartolotta
Sep 29, 2017 marked it as wishlist
Be still my beating heart.

description
Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell
FINALLY

This better be good. The last couple Mulan "retellings" I read were garbage. lol
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
Every woman has a great deal of experience presenting herself as someone other than who she is, since no girl is ever everything the world wants her to be.

OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS. This is, without a doubt, the BEST Mulan retelling I have ever read.

Granted, I don’t remember having read a huge number of Mulan retellings. But this one is definitely still the best, by any margin. It’s gloriously well-researched, with spectacular characterisation and writing, and though I’ve rounded down (because I
Cheryl Klein
This is the first novel I signed up as an editor at Lee & Low, and it has all the excellent things you want a Mulan retelling to have: a Mulan who's figuring out who she is, an epic sweep in the war against the Northerners, family drama, terrific fight scenes, romance. I've loved reading every draft, and I think readers will love it too.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Well I mean...I have more faith in this than the film adaptation currently in the works.
Brie
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually do early reviews, but when I do, it's because the book was very good. And this one is better than that.

This book is so sweet and elegant and with so much restraint. There's not an extra ounce of fat in it but just the right amount to give it all the flavor; everything has a reason to be, and the world is so seamlessly rendered that it was easy to just be in it and let the story take me where it wanted. Mulan is a wonderful heroine, and so are all the the other characters. The ro
Ivy
Jan 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: coming-soon-19
PLEASE. PLEASE. P L E A S E.

edit 1/31/19: title ALERT TITLE ALERT holy FORKING shirtballs. VERY VERY GOOD beautiful AHH flowers SHE i love MY WiFE baalllaaaddd and SWORDSSSSS

edit 3/8/19: cover ALERT. Jesus Christ this book could be used as a WEAPON. I LOVE HER. nUt.
♠️ TABI ♠️
Jul 13, 2018 marked it as to-read
While I was utterly annoyed and bored by her Sherlock retelling flop . . . anything Mulan will always call to me okay
Vic005
Sep 27, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: retellings, 2019
I NEED THIS NOW
Lenore .
May 03, 2019 marked it as im-a-dreamer-but-its-hard-to-sleep
Shelves: arc-2019
Excited to start my ARC soon!
Amélie Boucher
Apr 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
An own voices Mulan retelling? YES PLEASE
diana
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can anyone please tell me there's a sequel?!?
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Oh. My. God.

MULANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

Seriously, though. Don't disappoint me. *shakes fists at book*
Jaime
May 10, 2018 marked it as tbr-unreleased
04/04/19: I was correct, this is the greatest cover I've ever seen.

05/02/19: This title is so fucking amazing and I am now so hyped for the cover because I can just tell that it's going to be the greatest cover in existence.

08/09/18: It looks like Disney is going to disappoint me with their live-action movie so I'm gonna need this book to save me.
Samantha
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love a good retelling! Parts of this were slow pace, but I felt that the characters were done well. I also appreciated that Mulan pretending to be a bit was done in a way that felt more realistic, and also addressed the complications of going to the bathroom and bathing (though periods didn't come up). Overall an enjoyable retelling if your into that sort of thing!
♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
description

*SCREAMS*

AND DEFEAT THE HUNS!
AND GET OUR HANDS ON THIS BOOK

*twitches on the floor like an addict*
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
A summary, finally! This is one of my most anticipated reads this year because come on, it's Mulan, and again it's Mulan.
Carina Olsen
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-i-want
There is so much I loved about this that I do not know where to begin. This Mulan retelling was every kinds of epic. And I loved every moment of it. I'm a huge fan of Sherry. And of the Disney movie version of Mulan. And so I knew I would adore this book. Which I did. So happy about it. Because this book was perfect.

Writing down my feelings for this book will not be easy. Simply because my heart is so full of love, and that is the most difficult thing to find the words for. But gosh, how I will
J. Dominique
I received this book from the Goodreads giveaway, and I am so glad that I did!

When I first got the notification that I won the giveaway, I was just like, "oh cool," and didn't pay much attention to it. Then, when I actually got the book in, I was pleasantly surprised to see what it was about and that it was by an author I liked (and have actually met!).

So, when I first started this book, I wasn't sure what to expect, since most of my experience with Mulan is from Disney . . . although the first
Morgan
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

“We stand toe to toe, nothing but crossed blades between us.”

This book is full of things that I don’t normally love: instalove, being on a journey nearly the whole book, more males characters than female characters, and girl disguises herself as boy for reasons... But most of these things is handled in a unique way that made them either work for me or make sense and be okay.

This Mulan story is NOT a retelling of th
Roxanne
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a slow read but ultimately worth it.

I really enjoyed the thought out plot and bits of culture that shine through here as well as the family history between Mulan and Kai's family which added a lot to the story. The growth of their relationship is very subtle and although it's a bit more distant than I would like, it was still very sw
Jada Schaffer
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a twist on the tale of Mulan, one that I have adored all my life thanks to Disney. This book had an incredible amount of Chinese culture and nuance in it, making it somewhat difficult to read if you are not used to their way of speaking. I greatly enjoyed this story and am so excited to start recommending it to my students!
Breanna
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to receive an Advance Reader’s Copy of this book. I really liked it! It moves at a quick pace and is engaging. I like the different twist it takes on the Mulan story. It’s definitely for a young adult reader age group (12+) but I still enjoyed it.
Kelly
Jun 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
I see Mulan, I'm buying!

But please, please don't break my heart like Flame of the Mist. That book literally just pulled out real historic people's names and guh!! I'm annoyed all over again. PLS BE GOOD
Muhemed Masika
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Her sword such a small thing
She did wave suffice
The ballad of her song was sang in the night of her eve
Magnolia was the color left
Sarah ➖Goddess of Mischief➖
This book has no cover, no synopsis, no anything. But I add to my TBR because, seriously, Mulan retelling. That's all the reason I need.

UPDATE:

WE HAVE A COVER!!!! And DANG it's good!
Amy
Mar 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
Excerpt!!

Just got the newsletter today and omggg I can't wait!! September 10th can't come soon enough.

As I've been harping for awhile now into the void that is my Goodreads feed, EVERYTHING Sherry writes is gold so I have no doubts her retelling of Mulan will be amazing.

• Untitled
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie
  • The Half King (Untitled #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • What Monstrous Gods
  • Skyhunter
  • Untitled
  • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Ember Days
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Gallant
  • The King's Questioner
Because actual world domination is too much trouble, USA Today-bestselling author Sherry Thomas decided that her goal is life is to write every kind of book she enjoys reading. Thus far she has published romance, fantasy, mystery, and a wuxia-inspired duology. Her books regularly receive starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications, including such outlets as the New York Tim ...more