Start by marking “Black Hammer, Vol. 4: Age of Doom Part Two” as Want to Read:
Black Hammer, Vol. 4: Age of Doom Part Two

Black Hammer, Vol. 4: Age of Doom Part Two

(Black Hammer #4)

The Eisner Award-winning superhero saga continues with this two-part mystery that will change the world forever!

After learning how they got trapped on the farmworld, our heroes find themselves with everything they thought they wanted. Yet not everything is right just yet and it takes the strong resolve of the new Black Hammer to get the team back together, as shocking
Published December 31st 2019 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Black Hammer, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Hammer, Vol. 4

Start your review of Black Hammer, Vol. 4: Age of Doom Part Two
David Schaafsma
Well, I shouldn't really say much about the specifics in the resolution of. . . the series? this arc? (it's not clear to me if this is the finish) but I have to say, with all the time I have invested in this series and in all the spin-offs so far, I have to say I am at this moment disappointed. So it's a tale of "getting the band back together" one more time, to plan to face Anti-God one more time, and we find out why they were initially imprisoned on "the farm" outside Spiral City and by whom, ...more
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
Underwhelming. While the idea behind the ending is somewhat adequate, it was truly unimpressive. I can't tell if Jeff Lemire should continue the main run now that everything is cleanly wrapped up or just stick to spin-off titles set in this universe...

Yours truly,

Lashaan | Blogger and Book Reviewer
Official blog: https://bookidote.com/
Chris Lemmerman
…Is that it?

After all the build-up, all the struggles, all the random detours and spin-off mini-series, that’s the ending we get? I’m disappointed to say the least. Without going into spoiler territory, I didn’t think this was going to be the end of the series. Given that Black Hammer has already relaunched once, I thought this was just going to be the end of this era, and then we’d get a new series next year or something. But no, this is apparently it.

It just feels like a jip. These
Chris Greensmith
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: black-hammer
"Hey, bitch, nice house."
This was good, I hated the art from the first two issues, and that whole story seemed a bit too meta and silly for me. The ending, or non-ending was good, happy/sad. I am intrigued as to what is next...
Jamie Connolly
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Black hammer is literally literally perfect. 5 stars.
Jesús
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Following in Mark Millar’s footsteps, Jeff Lemire now seemingly writes every one of his creator-owned books as though it’s a TV pitch. In the case of Black Hammer, I wouldn’t mind its television aspirations so much if I didn’t also get the sense that it wears its “prestige” badge a little too proudly on its sleeve.

Nevertheless, this concluding (for now) arc of the main Black Hammer book ties up a lot of loose threads—albeit in eye-rolling and unsatisfying ways.

[Read in single issues]
Jennifer Casas Carreño
The ending to the series was not what I expected. It felt slightly underwhelming from all the built up/reveals beautifully done in the third volume. Regardless, it will remain one of my favorite series. One of the main factors is that it is essentially a meta parody off the idea of superheroes and you can tell Jeff Lemire is a fan of the genre. I greatly enjoyed that aspect of it. Black Hammer didn't take itself seriously, which made it all the more fun to read; it was self-aware. It truly felt ...more
Alexander Peterhans
Black Hammer feels like its losing steam in this volume. The story is going in circles ((view spoiler)), and I wasn't impressed by the ending.

To be more specific, (view spoiler)
47Time
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
In this volume theartwork decided to suck more than the story. Almost. Then there's the names. Holy crap, they couldn't be more ridiculous. Is this comic a parody? Can't be. Parodies aresometimes funny and this awful comic has nothing going for it. The characters, thedialogue (if 'Oink! Oink!' and 'Quack! Quack' are dialogue), the ridiculousplot, thedeus ex machinas. Everything sucks and the flashbacks are back with a vengeance. This feels like the story that is going to make me stop reading ...more
Jakub Kvíz
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I don't know... Maybe it's reading it on a monthly basis but the whole Age of Doom didn't do the trick for me. I am not saying it's bad or anything but it felt kinda repetitive (which might be the point).

The ending was nice but I wouldn't mind Lemire to wrapping this for good. At least the "farm" storyline.
M
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Jeff Lemire and Dean Ormston bring their uniquely entertaining Black Hammer series to its conclusion with Part Two of the Age of Doom. With the illusion surrounding their farm lives shattered, the team is trapped on Colonel Weird’s shuttle. Entertaining their true reality, the team is dropped into a new world that wipes their memories. Only the robotic Talky-Walky remembers, and must reach out to gather the others before the arrival of the Anti-God. Despite the early premise of mystery and ...more
Alexander Peterhans
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
(Wow, donked one star off my initial rating and poof, my first review disappeared..)

Disappointingly weak ending, especially after spending so much time with these characters. Basically another iteration of (view spoiler).

I have never been convinced by the we-have-to-balance-good-and-evil idea of the Black Hammer universe, it feels arbitrary and too easily accepted by everyone involved. And then there's the moment where Madame Dragonfly explains why she
Justin
Jan 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Sesana
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
So Lemire read Morrison's ultimate "what's a fourth wall?" moment in Animal Man and said, "I can do that, too!" And he did. And those issues, which all firmly live beyond the fourth wall, are the best part of the book. But then we apparently had to wrap things up, and it just felt rushed. I can see where this must have been planned out, but I still feel like something, and I'm not sure what, is missing.
Fraser Sherman
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I would have bet good money Lemire wouldn't stick the landing — that it would be closer to the triteness of Dr. Star than the fun of V2. But it worked.
In Part One, Lucy led the good guys out of the village and back into reality. But it turns out there are a few hitches: Col. Weird's in one world, Lucy's in a Spiral City with no superheroes and no hope. And the others? Well, you'll see ...
Not quite what I was expecting, but it worked.
Mychele
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 WOW it’s the end. This is one of my favorite graphic novels and I’m sad to see this arc end. From the beginning I was hooked and waiting for this last volume was painful but I made it. Jeff and Dean told a well balanced story with the right amount of Oh Sh*t moments and cliffhangers but I’m going to be honest I’m not a fan of the ending. It was too neat and very happily ever after. But all in all good. ...more
Bryce Perry
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Bryan Miller
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art of Black Hammer is gorgeous. The storytelling is inspired (by the history of comics--mostly DC--and that's a good thing.) This is a love story homage to all the great stories that have come before.
READ'N
A feeble conclusion to what started out as a great comic book series. I can only hope this isn't the true ending of Black Hammer and Lemire returns to pen a more fitting resolution for our heroes.
Oliver Miller
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
this has been an incredible, interesting, and beautiful series. i can't wait for the concluding issue in september.
Doris Raines
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HAMMER TIME.
Chris Neumann
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-comic-books
Very sad to see this run end. But what a beautiful ending. One of the best comic series in recent memory.
Nate
Sep 21, 2019 added it
Not much to say about this one except that it’s a great continuation of the main Black Hammer storyline. Some mysteries are solved, more are revealed, and I can’t wait to see what happens next. At times the storytelling in this volume is decompressed, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of it. Black Hammer remains a fascinating and gleeful homage to superhero comics that I can’t get enough of.
Josh
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Very weird and truly remarkable.
Jesse Richards
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
These 4 volumes constitute one of the best superhero stories I've ever read.
Bárbara
It's a great story but I can't say that I love it. Not the happy ending I expected.
Nicholas Ahlhelm
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hard not to spoil something with a review, so I'll just say this offered a quite satisfying conclusion to the saga.
John
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Time is a circle.
Sarah Sammis
Black Hammer, Volume 4: Age of Doom Part Two by Jeff Lemire is the conclusion of the series. Seen in its entirety, Black Hammer uses a cinematic narrative structure where the ending is an altered/re-contextualized but recognizable version of the opening.

When examined in terms of the road narrative spectrum, we see the transformation more clearly defined. The first two volumes are from the spectrum's point of view, stable. Both volumes are confined within the tale of scarecrow/minotaur traveling
Doug
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one. Quite a cool twist, and I loved the Sandman-esque journey through Hell and Storyville.

• House of X / Powers of X
  • Doomsday Clock Part 1
  • Farmhand, Vol. 2: Thorne in the Flesh
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door
  • Doomsday Clock
Jeff Lemire is a New York Times bestselling and award winning author, and creator of the acclaimed graphic novels Sweet Tooth, Essex County, The Underwater Welder, Trillium, Plutona, Black Hammer, Descender, Royal City, and Gideon Falls. His upcoming projects include a host of series and original graphic novels, including the fantasy series Ascender with Dustin Nguyen.

Black Hammer (4 books)