Start by marking “The Dancing Girls (Detective Jo Fournier, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dancing Girls (Detective Jo Fournier, #1)

The Dancing Girls

(Detective Jo Fournier #1)

The light in her wide brown eyes dimmed as she drew her last breath. She might have been beautiful lying there on the floor, if it wasn’t for the purple marks on her neck and the angry red line on her finger where her wedding band used to be…

When Jeanine Hammond is found dead in a hotel in the picture-perfect town of Oakhust, newly-promoted Detective Jo Fournier is thrown
Published May 15th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Dancing Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dancing Girls

Teodora
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In case I haven't said it, I really love thrillers and, to be completely honest, this book too. It is very interesting, very well put together and it has that certain psychological suspense you'd like to receive from every single thriller you read if you are a fan of the genre.
Shelby
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Oakhurst, Massachusetts, a woman is found strangled in her hotel room. Detective Jo Fournier is called to the scene as lead on the case. Nothing was taken from the victim, no sign of sexual assault. The only thing missing was the victim’s wedding ring. Jo discovers the victim’s name is Jeanine Hammond, a married, middle-aged woman in town for a work conference. She’s seen entering her hotel room with a man in a fedora, but unfortunately, the security cameras don’t capture his face.

With not a
Lou
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dancing Girls is the first in the Jo Fournier series and newly appointed Lieutenant Jo has a twisted and disturbing case to solve. It explores the destruction caused by the grooming of those with vulnerabilities and the criminals who target this group specifically - a timely and very important topic. It won't be for everyone as it is quite an uncomfortable read in parts but getting behind Jo in her quest to bring sick, evil minds to justice and ensure those convicted will never be allowed to ...more
Toya
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
"You danced at my command. Ate and drank according to my whims. Rose to a fever pitch of desire because I willed it. And now, finally, you die."

Janine Hammond is found murdered in her hotel room, and the way in which her body is lying on the hotel floor gives it the appearance that she had been dancing. Lieutenant Jo Fournier and her team are called on scene to investigate this mysterious and gruesome murder. There’s no blood or sign of struggle in the hotel room. Apart from Janine Hammond’s mis
Robyn
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dancing Girls by M.M Chouinard is the first book in the Jo Fournier series and I have to say I was completely and thoroughly hooked right from the start.

Jo Fournier is the newly appointed Lieutenant thrust right into the murder of Jeanine Hammond. Found murdered in a hotel room, it is up to Jo to find the killer responsible for Jeanine’s death. But with no clues to go on, finding a murderer seems more like finding a needle in a haystack. As the months go by with no leads, the Hammond murder
Mandy White
The Dancing Girls by M M Chouinard is the first book to feature Detective Jo Fournier. The story is told from multiple points of views, including the Detective, the killer and the soon to be victims. It was a different book in that we hear things from all the main player. I hope the next book we learn more about Jo as I feel there wasn't too much about her this time around. She seems to be interesting character but I am sure there is so much more to her. I loved the twist at the end of this one ...more
Els
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow squared! This was a gem of a book and a truely wonderful start of a new series.

I loved the way the author gave background about victim and culprit and how you could follow how the muderer’s and victim’s minds worked.

You often see how criminals blame their oh so unlucky youth on every thing they do later on and you might think : ‘Yeah, yeah, bla bla bla’, but when you look back they might not always be wrong. Maybe the police should also punish parents, friends or other members of the family
Vanessa
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-x, xx
The Dancing Girls by M.M. Chouinard is the first book in the Detective Jo Fournier series and I just loved it. I was hooked and didn't want to put it down. I loved all the characters.

A body of a woman is found in a hotel room, Detective Jo Fournier and her team are called to investigate. Its a fast paced and well written throughout.
I loved the twist at the end and I look forward to the next book in the series. Just Brilliant!

Many thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for an advanced copy in exchang
Elaine Tomasso
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of The Dancing Girls, the first novel to feature Lieutenant Josette Fournier of the Oakhurst, New England PD.

When the body of Jeanine Hammond is found strangled in a hotel room Jo and her team get the case. Intense investigation gets them nowhere until they find links to other similar cases, not that anybody sees the same links except the team.

I enjoyed The Dancing Girls to a point. It is well conceived and written with just enou
Shell Baker
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy Freaking Hell when is the next book out?! From start to finish this book is just WOW! I cannot believe this is the authors debut novel, she has left no room for improvement.

It has been a long time since I have read a police procedure novel that has just wowed me, but this one certainly did. I love the fact that this story doesn’t just concentrate on the detective . In this story we get inside the killers head. who I found fascinating and disturbing. You guessed it….the killer is not a secre
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
The Dancing Girls is the first in this new series which follows the newly appointed to Lieutenant Jo Fournier, who has a very disturbing case to solve.

Married women are being found strangled in hotel rooms across the country. and the only thing that appears to be missing is their wedding rings. What is also strange, is that each woman is posed as if they were dancing!

No longer a detective and told to take a step back off the case does not sit well with Jo, who while on forced leave visiting her
Shkolnikjx
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an exciting triller that I will not soon forget. Had some difficulty falling asleep having read it. The writer depicts some super stressful situations that have a significant impact on the lives of the characters. I highly recommend this amazing book.
Clair
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
The Dancing Girls is the first in a new police procedural series featuring Detective Jo Fournier and its looking as though its going to be a good one!

Whilst this is a new series, the book manages the balance between the investigation itself and introducing its main characters very well. Sometimes the start of a series can be more about introductions and lacking in the actual investigation but that’s not the case here – as shown from the first chapter! The book opens in 2012 with the murder of Je
Julie Lacey
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a new crime series which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Jo is called to a hotel where a woman's body has been found. She had been strangled and her wedding ring seems to be missing.
Jo and her team start the investigation and don’t seem to have much to go on until another body is found.
It seems there is someone targeting lone women in hotel rooms but what is the link?
We then get an insight into the killer’s mind and it’s not a pretty place.
In his mind he’s doing nothing wrong
Jacqueline Murphy
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dancing Girls by M.M. Chouinard was a great debut to what is going to be a fantastic series.

When a married woman is found murdered in her hotel room, Lieutenant Jo Fournier and her team head to the scene. The only item missing appears to be her wedding ring, so doubtful it was robbery motivated, with little to go on, the case soon goes cold and Jo is told to put it into cold storage! What happened to Jeanine Hammond?

While on enforced leave she visits her Dad in New Orleans, Jo gets a call sa
Danielle Carter
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crime thrillers are usually predictable - the villain an obvious family member. However The Dancing Girls had me hooked - the characters were vivid and intriguing, the plot believable and well-paced and the twist at the end was not one I saw coming!

I also loved how vivid the settings were, I felt fully immersed!

I will definitely be picking up the next book for sure!
Gail
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*5 Stars*

Copy kindly received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a really interesting and good reads. It had really good characters. The ending of the book also surprised me. Shows how technology can be good yes, but also dangerous.
Jacqueline Murphy

While on enforced leave she visits her Dad in New Orleans, Jo gets a call sa
Kate Church
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Kate Church
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was well written and the characters were described well. I really enjoyed this book. The pace of the story was good. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone.
Amanda
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If there’s one thing that this Ginger Book Geek likes it’s discovering new authors. M. M. Chouinard is certainly a new author to me. I read the synopsis for ‘The Dancing Girls’ and it sounded just my kind of read- a dark, creepy crime novel with a baddy who makes your skin crawl and who sends a shiver down your spine. I couldn’t wait to begin reading and so I jumped straight in. Blimey, ‘The Dancing Girls’ is certainly a read and a half and I loved it but more about that in a bit.
Detective Jo Fo
Lel Budge
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Martin knew he wasn’t a psychopath. He’d done his research, so much so that he probably knew more about serial killers than most profilers did.”

Jeanine’s body is found in a hotel room, spangled and left lying on the floor..had she been posed or just fallen oddly?

Jo Fournier is called in to investigate along with her partner, Bob Arnett….They feel something is off about how the body is lying but can’t put their finger on it…

Then a second woman is found a few weeks later, Emily. Similarly posed,
Lel Budge
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookouture

Then a second woman is found a few weeks later, Emily. Similarly posed,
Lori
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by M.M. Chouinard and I really enjoyed it. I love a book that keeps you interested and has characters that you feel drawn to. Recently becoming the Lieutenant, Detective Jo Fournier and her detectives are on a new case. A housewife, teacher and mother was murdered while on a seminar trip. Detective Jo feels in her gut that there is something off about this killing. It doesn't feel random. The killer only took the victims wedding rings. They have a surveillance ph ...more
Toni
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the first book in the Detective Jo Fournier series. There wasn’t a ton of getting to know Jo Fournier in this book. She started off in charge and then realized part of the way into the book she was truly meant to be a detective and go after the criminal element. I didn’t feel like I learned a ton about her in this book but I was intrigued,

The mystery was simple enough. Crazy dude is killing women he met via World of Warcraft through the chats and later through Skype. He liked to make his
Vivienne
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to Bookouture for an eARC via NetGalley of M.M. Chouinard’s ‘The Dancing Girls’ in exchange for an honest review.

When the body of Jeanine Hammond is found in a hotel room in Oakhurst, Massachusetts newly promoted Lieutenant Josette (Jo) Fournier finds many aspects of the case perplexing. Jeanine was apparently a loving wife yet security footage captured her entering her room with a man who keeps his face hidden. Her wedding ring is missing and her body appears oddly posed.

Of course, a
Kelli Ann
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was granted early access for The Dancing Girls by M.M. Chouinard through NetGalley. Bookouture is set to publish this book on 05/15/19. If you are in the mood for a serial killer thriller, this is definitely for you!

Detective Jo Fournier is thrown into a mind boggling case when Jeanine Hammond is found dead in her hotel room with strange strangulation marks. This case soon connects to several cold cases and Jo begs for help solving them. The story follows her as the FBI rejects her, the suspec
Kelli Ann
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it

Susan
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Only every once in awhile does a murder mystery make me chuckle, a nice wicked hand-twisting chuckle. Ms. Chouinard's ending made me chuckle. A lot. But, before the reader gets there, they read about Martin, who after being abused by his mother, grows up to be a serial killer and World of Warcraft fanatic. Throughout the entire book I kept thinking how trite it was to have a plot where the killer meets his victims online. Don't we see that every day? But this was different. Sure Martin groomed t ...more
Denise
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recently promoted Lieutenant Josette (Jo) Fournier of the Oakhurst Country State Police Detective Unit in Massachusetts is keen to get back to what she does best, investigating crimes. But directing a team is her assignment and she longs to sink her teeth into a crime that looks to her as the work of a serial killer.

Janine Hammond was found in a hotel room. She'd been strangled. No signs of any type of assault. Since she was visiting from out of town, the detectives have few clues. The only thi
« previous 1 3 next »
M.M. Chouinard writes crime fiction (including suspense, procedurals, and cozies), and women's fiction. M.M. Chouinard's first fiction story was published in her local paper when she was eight, and she fell in love with Agatha Christie novels not long after. While pursuing a Ph.D in psychology and helping to found the first U.S. research university of the new millenium, the stories kept rattling a ...more