Start by marking “The Dancing Girls (Detective Jo Fournier, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dancing Girls (Detective Jo Fournier, #1)

The Dancing Girls

(Detective Jo Fournier #1)

When Jeanine Hammond is found dead in a hotel in the picture-perfect town of Oakhust, newly-promoted Detective Jo Fournier is thrown into a disturbing case. Who would murder this shy, loving wife and leave her body posed like a ballerina?

Jo wants to know why Jeanine’s husband is so controlling about money, and where Jeanine’s wedding ring is, but before she and her team ca
Published May 15th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Dancing Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dancing Girls

Start your review of The Dancing Girls (Detective Jo Fournier, #1)
 Teodora
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
In case I haven't said it, I really love thrillers and, to be completely honest, this book too. It is very interesting, very well put together and it has that certain psychological suspense you'd like to receive from every single thriller you read if you are a fan of the genre.
Mandy White
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Dancing Girls by M M Chouinard is the first book to feature Detective Jo Fournier. The story is told from multiple points of views, including the Detective, the killer and the soon to be victims. It was a different book in that we hear things from all the main player. I hope the next book we learn more about Jo as I feel there wasn't too much about her this time around. She seems to be interesting character but I am sure there is so much more to her. I loved the twist at the end of this one ...more
Shelby
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Oakhurst, Massachusetts, a woman is found strangled in her hotel room. Detective Jo Fournier is called to the scene as lead on the case. Nothing was taken from the victim, no sign of sexual assault. The only thing missing was the victim’s wedding ring. Jo discovers the victim’s name is Jeanine Hammond, a married, middle-aged woman in town for a work conference. She’s seen entering her hotel room with a man in a fedora, but unfortunately, the security cameras don’t capture his face.

With not a
Luvtoread
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This storyline follows Lieutenant Jo Fournier as she tracks a killer preying on discontented married women. Jo has only been a lieutenant a short while and misses the everyday out on the street detective work that she really loves doing. When she has the opportunity to be assigned to this case, Jo puts everything she has into finding this killer who she believes may be a serial killer but unfortunately no-one else seems to agree with her opinions.

This book was easy to read but it was not an edg
Luvtoread

This book was easy to read but it was not an edg
Lou
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dancing Girls is the first in the Jo Fournier series and newly appointed Lieutenant Jo has a twisted and disturbing case to solve. It explores the destruction caused by the grooming of those with vulnerabilities and the criminals who target this group specifically - a timely and very important topic. It won't be for everyone as it is quite an uncomfortable read in parts but getting behind Jo in her quest to bring sick, evil minds to justice and ensure those convicted will never be allowed to ...more
Toya (the reading chemist)
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
"You danced at my command. Ate and drank according to my whims. Rose to a fever pitch of desire because I willed it. And now, finally, you die."

Janine Hammond is found murdered in her hotel room, and the way in which her body is lying on the hotel floor gives it the appearance that she had been dancing. Lieutenant Jo Fournier and her team are called on scene to investigate this mysterious and gruesome murder. There’s no blood or sign of struggle in the hotel room. Apart from Janine Hammond’s mis
Richard
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
An impressive debut.
A police procedural which demonstrates how hard detectives have it if criminal try to avoid mistakes and murder random strangers.
I was immediately drawn to the lead detective having taken one final promotion is frustrated by the gap that crates and which isolates her from grunt work.
This is a wonderfully simple book but filled with crimes that no-one has the time or resources to solve. Jo leads a team of two in their own time to understand the senseless murder of a young woma
susan p poole
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story is about a serial killer who finds his targets through a game on the internet, for me that was my first hurdle as I know nothing of such games and even less of the jargon, Jo is the police detective on the case of the killings, it was for me boring and like a game of tennis back and forth from Martin and Jo, jo 1 Martin 0, and so on, no real twists or turns until near the end when things took a different turn, and then left me thinking there would be a sequel, needless to say I won't ...more
Jennifer Haslinger
Jan 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book wasn’t good at all! I couldn’t get past all the “gaming” talk. I gave up on it halfway through, and I never do that.
Elaine Tomasso
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of The Dancing Girls, the first novel to feature Lieutenant Josette Fournier of the Oakhurst, New England PD.

When the body of Jeanine Hammond is found strangled in a hotel room Jo and her team get the case. Intense investigation gets them nowhere until they find links to other similar cases, not that anybody sees the same links except the team.

I enjoyed The Dancing Girls to a point. It is well conceived and written with just enou
Denise
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recently promoted Lieutenant Josette (Jo) Fournier of the Oakhurst County State Police Detective Unit in Massachusetts is keen to get back to what she does best, investigating crimes. But directing a team is her assignment and she longs to sink her teeth into a crime that looks to her as the work of a serial killer.

Janine Hammond was found in a hotel room. She'd been strangled. No signs of any type of assault. Since she was visiting from out of town, the detectives have few clues. The only thin
Toni
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
This is the first book in the Detective Jo Fournier series. There wasn’t a ton of getting to know Jo Fournier in this book. She started off in charge and then realized part of the way into the book she was truly meant to be a detective and go after the criminal element. I didn’t feel like I learned a ton about her in this book but I was intrigued,

The mystery was simple enough. Crazy dude is killing women he met via World of Warcraft through the chats and later through Skype. He liked to make his
Els
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow squared! This was a gem of a book and a truely wonderful start of a new series.

I loved the way the author gave background about victim and culprit and how you could follow how the muderer’s and victim’s minds worked.

You often see how criminals blame their oh so unlucky youth on every thing they do later on and you might think : ‘Yeah, yeah, bla bla bla’, but when you look back they might not always be wrong. Maybe the police should also punish parents, friends or other members of the family
Marissa Bunce
Oct 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
There were zero redeemable qualities about this book. Every character was unlikable in some aspect and the "villain" and his story were just gross. The author clearly just picked the most disturbing problems she could think of in an attempt to write a thriller. I felt obligated to finish it but the ending somehow made the book even worse, which I truly didn't think was possible.
Susan
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Honestly I just didn't care for this book, at all.
Having just finished "The Dutch House" which I loved and still think about, I was hoping for a good take me in quickly thriller.
This book just didn't do it for me - on any level. :(
kim d. hinkle
Oct 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Middle of the road.

Nothing special. Sure have no idea where all the rage reviews come from. The "gaming" talk boring. At least it was a cheap book.
Robyn
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dancing Girls by M.M Chouinard is the first book in the Jo Fournier series and I have to say I was completely and thoroughly hooked right from the start.

Jo Fournier is the newly appointed Lieutenant thrust right into the murder of Jeanine Hammond. Found murdered in a hotel room, it is up to Jo to find the killer responsible for Jeanine’s death. But with no clues to go on, finding a murderer seems more like finding a needle in a haystack. As the months go by with no leads, the Hammond murder
Vanessa
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-x, xx
The Dancing Girls by M.M. Chouinard is the first book in the Detective Jo Fournier series and I just loved it. I was hooked and didn't want to put it down. I loved all the characters.

A body of a woman is found in a hotel room, Detective Jo Fournier and her team are called to investigate. Its a fast paced and well written throughout.
I loved the twist at the end and I look forward to the next book in the series. Just Brilliant!

Many thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for an advanced copy in exchang
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
The Dancing Girls is the first in this new series which follows the newly appointed to Lieutenant Jo Fournier, who has a very disturbing case to solve.

Married women are being found strangled in hotel rooms across the country. and the only thing that appears to be missing is their wedding rings. What is also strange, is that each woman is posed as if they were dancing!

No longer a detective and told to take a step back off the case does not sit well with Jo, who while on forced leave visiting her
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
The Dancing Girls introduces us to Detective Jo Fournier in the start of a brand new series and what a start it is.
When the body of a woman is found in a hotel room, strangled, Jo and her team are stumped. There doesn’t seem to be any reason for the killing, the victim Jeanine was a married woman, her husband and friends don’t believe she would have an affair, she had no enemies so why was she found strangled, positioned like a ballerina and her wedding ring taken?
Told from multiple points of vi
Shell Baker
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy Freaking Hell when is the next book out?! From start to finish this book is just WOW! I cannot believe this is the authors debut novel, she has left no room for improvement.

It has been a long time since I have read a police procedure novel that has just wowed me, but this one certainly did. I love the fact that this story doesn’t just concentrate on the detective . In this story we get inside the killers head. who I found fascinating and disturbing. You guessed it….the killer is not a secre
Julie Lacey
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a new crime series which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Jo is called to a hotel where a woman's body has been found. She had been strangled and her wedding ring seems to be missing.
Jo and her team start the investigation and don’t seem to have much to go on until another body is found.
It seems there is someone targeting lone women in hotel rooms but what is the link?
We then get an insight into the killer’s mind and it’s not a pretty place.
In his mind he’s doing nothing wrong
Shkolnikjx
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an exciting triller that I will not soon forget. Had some difficulty falling asleep having read it. The writer depicts some super stressful situations that have a significant impact on the lives of the characters. I highly recommend this amazing book.
Clair
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
The Dancing Girls is the first in a new police procedural series featuring Detective Jo Fournier and its looking as though its going to be a good one!

Whilst this is a new series, the book manages the balance between the investigation itself and introducing its main characters very well. Sometimes the start of a series can be more about introductions and lacking in the actual investigation but that’s not the case here – as shown from the first chapter! The book opens in 2012 with the murder of Je
Monica Mac
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a book!! I don't think I drew a full breath for the entire time I was reading this book and I took it everywhere I went because I just wanted to know what happened next and needed to read it at every opportunity!

Jo Fournier has been newly promoted but she isn't sure that this is what she wants. She is a practical, hands-on kind of person and being a Lieutenant is a little too much about paperwork and less about getting stuck into a case. She has a great team though, and between the thr
Cindy
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This first book in a police procedure series gives us just as much time spent on the killers POV and finishes with twist you will not see coming.
Jacqueline Murphy
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dancing Girls by M.M. Chouinard was a great debut to what is going to be a fantastic series.

When a married woman is found murdered in her hotel room, Lieutenant Jo Fournier and her team head to the scene. The only item missing appears to be her wedding ring, so doubtful it was robbery motivated, with little to go on, the case soon goes cold and Jo is told to put it into cold storage! What happened to Jeanine Hammond?

While on enforced leave she visits her Dad in New Orleans, Jo gets a call sa
Gail
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*5 Stars*

Copy kindly received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a really interesting and good reads. It had really good characters. The ending of the book also surprised me. Shows how technology can be good yes, but also dangerous.
Jacqueline Murphy

While on enforced leave she visits her Dad in New Orleans, Jo gets a call sa

• Her Daughter's Cry: An absolutely gripping crime thriller
  • Murder in the Fens (A Tara Thorpe Mystery #4)
  • Cradle to Grave (Detective Kay Hunter #8)
  • Killer on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #4)
  • Dead of Night
  • The Marriage Betrayal
  • Deadly Games (A Cavendish & Walker Novel, #1)
  • At Your Door (DCI Anna Tate, #2)
  • Deluded (DI Sara Ramsey, #4)
  • Slice
  • First Blood (DI Kim Stone, #0.5)
  • Penitent (DI Munro & DS West #9)
  • The Last Wife
  • The Midnight Wife
  • The Lies We Hide
  • Don't Tell
  • The Child in the Tree (DI Helena Stratton #3)
  • Sleeping Beauties
M.M. Chouinard writes crime fiction (including suspense, procedurals, and cozies), and women's fiction. M.M. Chouinard's first fiction story was published in her local paper when she was eight, and she fell in love with Agatha Christie novels not long after. While pursuing a Ph.D in psychology and helping to found the first U.S. research university of the new millenium, the stories kept rattling a ...more

Detective Jo Fournier (3 books)
  • Taken to the Grave (Detective Jo Fournier, #2)
  • Her Daughter's Cry