Start by marking “Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)” as Want to Read:
Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)

Sword of Kings

(The Last Kingdom #12)

An oath of loyalty.
Two warring kings.
A destiny he didn’t choose…

England is in turmoil as Vikings and Saxons battle for territory. Rumours build about the fatal sickness of the King, and the country awaits an heir.

A violent clash at sea forces the warrior lord Uhtred to lead his men from his Northumbrian fortress to London and plunge into the eye of the storm. For two kings
Published November 26th 2019 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Sword of Kings, please sign up.
Alasandra Alawine I don't see any mention of an Egbert or Edgar on page 31. In fact page 31 consist of Egil (one of Uhtred's men) discussing what they should do with th…moreI don't see any mention of an Egbert or Edgar on page 31. In fact page 31 consist of Egil (one of Uhtred's men) discussing what they should do with the prisoners and boats. I think you mean page 43. And yes it does look like a proof reader let this name change slip through. Although I suppose it could be put down to it being a fake name so the men might be confused about who is being called what. But I think most likely some spell check program didn't recognize the name Egbert and changed it to Edgar and the proof reader didn't catch it. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ashley I noticed this too and was hoping for an answer. Sorry that I do not have this myself but probably assume this was a typo.

Start your review of Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
Thomas
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars for another well written story in the Saxon Stories series. This book has Uhtred of Bebbanburg, going south from Bebbanburg to fulfill an oath to kill two men, one of whom is Aethelhelm the Younger and would be king of Wessex. He fights some fierce battles and almost dies but survives.
Bernard Cornwell writes the best battle scenes of any historical fiction writer currently writing books.
He describes in vivid detail the shield wall and weapons used in 10th century England.
This was a libr
Ace
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uhtred is back baby. Oaths to honour, damsels in distress and a bloody, stinky, shield wall. I'm fairly certain I could read another 10 more of these, keep 'em coming Mr Cornwell. ...more
Lucia
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Not many authors are able to write 12 books series and still keep it engaging and thrilling read. Bernard Cornwell can.

The Saxon Stories is the best historical fiction series I have ever read and my fascination with main character Uhtred grows with every instalment. If you are new to this series, do yourself a favor and give it a chance as soon as possible. (You may read my spoiler-free review of previous books here.) If you are familiar with our pagan warlord extraordinaire, do not hesitate to
Dana Ilie
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I want the next one.... Please!!!!
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I’m a little depressed after finishing this. I just realized I have to wait at least another year for a new Uhtred book. Also – I think the tone of these books is getting darker.

In Sword of Kings, Uhtred is called upon for help from Edward’s queen, Eadigfu. She believes Aethelhem and her step-son Aelfweard are plotting against her and her children. She sends for Uhtred, seeking his protection against their mutual enemies. And Uhtred, feeling restless, and also suspicious of a plot against him, a
Rob
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 12 in the last Kingdom series published 2019.
4 lively stars.
Twelve books in and Uhtred of Bebbanburg is starting to get a bit long in the tooth but the same can’t be said about his continuing adventures.

On the death of King Edward the country that was to be the united country of England is thrown into utter confusion. On his deathbed Edward decreed that his kingdom should be split in two those being the Kingdoms of Wessex and Mercia. Aethelstan, Edward’s son supposedly born out of wedlock,
Bill Lynas
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bernard Cornwell's legendary creation Uhtred of Bebbanburg returns for the 12th novel in The Last Kingdom series.
Cornwell brings us the usual mixture of historical fact & fiction, wonderful characters (old & new) & superb action. After only a few pages I already felt totally immersed in Uhtred's world. As Uhtred gets older he finds it harder to fight, but with his trusty weapons (Serpent Breath & Wasp Sting) he is still a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.
Sword of Kings is another fi
Clemens Schoonderwoert
This very captivating book is the 12th instalment of the excellent "Last Kingdom" series by the formidable author, Bernard Cornwell. (This series has also been adapted for TV/Film)

The historical details concerning this book has been meticulously researched and documented, with Place Names and a well-drawn map of Wessex, East Anglia and Mercia at the beginning of the book, while at the back you'll notice a well detailed Historical Note and general explanations concerning Uhtred's story.

Story-tell
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, year-2019
Well here I am I’m finally caught up with the saga of Uhtred of Bebbanburg! This installment was actually really enjoyable & the whole series has become a bit of a comfort read for me over the last two years. I’m sad there isn’t more waiting for me but I’ll do my best to be patient while Mr. Cornwell writes more about my dude & his crazy adventures!
Kathleen
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This 12th offering in Cornwell’s Saxon historical fiction series encompasses the death of King Edward the Elder (871-924) to the crowning of Æthalstan as his successor. Cornwell’s fictional hero Uhtred of Bebbanburg has sworn an oath to support Edward’s son Æthalstan. Unfortunately, Edward decided to split his kingdom between his two sons—bequeathing Mercia to Æthalstan, and West Saxon and Wessex to Ælfweard.

Of course, Cornwell has the two brothers vying to rule all three areas as their father d
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Harper for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

i will be completely honest... this looks like a book i would never in a million years read... so... this is awkward...

sorry, HarperCollins...

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Paul
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't give a lot of fives, but Sword of Kings tops others in this series to which I have given fours. Solid 4.5 stars, rounded up.
So deep into this long series, and the story still grips me.
Plenty of action, plenty of personality, very engaging.
I loved it! And I finished it in a week, which for me, is really something.
Edward
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Uhtred is the best. Onto the last! RTC.
Susan Johnson
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness. Uhtred is back and in one of the best books of the series. It reminded me why I fell in love with him. It is action packed and Uhtred is at his most cunning. When he leads 180 men against 2000 in Lundene (London), I held my breath the entire time. The story is full of battles and skirmishes and even a humiliating episode for Uhtred. It has everything.

I have to admit that I didn't know much about English history except for the Tudors before reading this series. Alfred and his vi
Andy
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Onto book 12 in the saga, lets hope it’s a rip-roaring ride!

That it is and most enjoyable too as it’s a fast-moving yarn with likeable characters old & new. This one’s pace actually reminded me of the earlier novels which I’ve enjoyed the most. There jus seemed to be more going on & you never quite knew how events were going to unfold. Uthred seems a more considered warrior too in this tale I noted, certainly more cautious & careful with his men’s lives which came through in the text to me.

Cert
Stephen
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed this latest in the series and doesn't disappoint in the development of england birth and Alfred's dream ...more
Benj
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I found this book a bit of a non-event, I'm afraid. Nothing happened that hadn't already happened in all the previous books, and nothing really moved forward in the history of the developing English kingdom. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading it, but it felt more like a place-holder.

I was struck by a thought, though. Uhtred took part in Alfred's decisive battle of Edington in 878 AD (in The Pale Horseman). This books takes place in the year that Alfred's son Edward died, 924 AD, which is 46 y
Kathy
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another successful battle-filled tale following one of my favorite characters, Uhtred, who manages some miraculous escapes from death as he is compelled to follow his oaths.
I am thrilled to learn there will be more Uhtred to look forward to as I love this series from one of my favorite authors.

Library Loan
Matt
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Uthred, son of Uthred.

I don't get tired about his adventures, are they formulaic? Yes. Are they literary masterpieces? No. Do they scratch an itch for violent dark age historical fiction? For me, yes.
Nazzarena
I can't believe I must wait another year for book #13. ...more
Terri
review to come
Laura Tenfingers
I wasn't sure if I'd be down with another Uhtred, even though this has been one of my favourite series, but how old is he now? And honestly, how many times does he have to explain a shield wall to us? Twelve times it seems... He does write so you can read it without having read the previous books, but it's a bit repetitive if you've gone the distance with Uhtred the Priest-killer.

However, despite my unease, it turned out to be an enjoyable read as always. It's definitely formulaic, but Cornwell
Paul
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il still enjoying the hell out of this series. After 12 books I’m still absolutely hooked. Can’t wait for the 13th and final instalment later this year. Better than real life.
Sarah Mazza
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
In this book Uhtred is old, tired and indecisive. Almost all of his earlier passion for life and quick wit is gone. I felt like this book was only going through the motions. The plot didn’t grab at me and the characters were just meandering around without direction. While this was my least favourite book of the Saxon series, it was still a Bernard Cornwell book, and a mediocre Bernard Cornwell book is better than no Bernard Cornwell book. In all of this being said, I had a huge book hangover aft ...more
Chris F
Another great story in this excellent series. A welcome return to form by this wonderful author when the previous one it the series seemed a little like he was just going through the motions.
Donna
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is #12 in the Saxon Stories series. Oh, how I have enjoyed these books. What fun! They have all been 4-5 stars for me. I love Uhtred, his story, and his mission. I like that even though he is guided by some inner moral code, he still manages to do the unexpected. Every time I read the next one, I often wonder where the next one will go....I feel the same with this one. But the author, Bernard Cornwell, is a master at dropping bread crumbs throughout the entire story, which in turn are ...more
Scott  Hitchcock
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
3.0*'s

One of the truly mediocre chapters in this tale.
Sherrie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Uhtred of Bebbenburg is back, older but I don't think wiser, but still fighting for what he believes is right. Enjoyed this, book 12 of the series, wonder how many to come before he is too old to fight and has to retire! ...more
Wai Zin
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm a really big fan of Bernard Cornwell. But this book, it's just an Ok book for me.

As usual battle scenes are very vivid. And I really enjoy sea battle.

But story line is nothing to be thrill about.

My opinion only, this series is stretching a bit too far.
Amanda Hupe
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
POSSIBLE SPOILERS! I AM WARNING YOU NOW.

Well, I am all caught up. Sword of Kings by Bernard Cornwell is the 12th book in the Saxon Stories series. Book 13 is expected to come out this year, and time cannot go fast enough. Uhtred has been in this position before and he didn’t expect to be in it again. Life finally started to make sense. Then King Edward dies. Now the two possible heirs to the throne are at war and once again, Uhtred must choose a side. Only one can be King and the other will die.

• Traitors of Rome (Eagle #18)
  • Wolf of Wessex
  • Fortress of Fury (The Bernicia Chronicles, #7)
  • A Stormy Peace (Lieutenant Oliver Anson Book 4)
  • The Serpent Sword (Bernicia Chronicles #1)
  • Cross of Fire (Master of War, #6)
  • Altar of Blood (Empire, #9)
  • Now You See Them (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery, #5)
  • Storm of Steel (The Bernicia Chronicles, #6)
  • Back to Battle (Captain Kelly Maguire, #3)
  • Borderlands (DCI Ryan Mysteries #14)
  • Lancelot (The Arthurian Tales, #1)
  • The Promise of Pain (Thomas Berrington #7)
  • The Shrine (Eagles of Rome, #0.5)
  • Black Quarry Farm (DI Angus Henderson, #8)
  • The Cross and the Curse (The Bernicia Chronicles, #2)
  • Lionheart
  • Emperor of Rome (Vespasian, #9)
Cornwell was born in London in 1944. His father was a Canadian airman, and his mother, who was English, a member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. He was adopted and brought up in Essex by the Wiggins family, who were members of the Peculiar People, a strict Protestant sect who banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine. After he left them, he changed his name to his birth mother's maiden n ...more

The Last Kingdom (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
  • The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories, #2)
  • Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3)
  • Sword Song (The Saxon Stories, #4)
  • The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5)
  • Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6)
  • The Pagan Lord (The Saxon Stories, #7)
  • The Empty Throne (The Saxon Stories, #8)
  • Warriors of the Storm (The Saxon Stories, #9)
  • The Flame Bearer (The Saxon Stories, #10)