Start by marking “Testing Business Ideas” as Want to Read:

Testing Business Ideas

A practical guide to effective business model testing

7 out of 10 new products fail to deliver on expectations. Testing Business Ideas aims to reverse that statistic. In the tradition of Alex Osterwalder's global bestseller Business Model Generation, this practical guide contains a library of hands-on techniques for rapidly testing new business ideas.

Published November 6th 2019 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Testing Business Ideas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Testing Business Ideas

Start your review of Testing Business Ideas
Ahmad hosseini
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management, startup
Book provides a step by step way to generate idea and convert it to a viable business.
Book explains a lot of methods and tools for testing business idea and examines pros and cons of each of them in details. It also give some advice for how and when to use them. Story board, product box, speed boat, card sorting, and boomrang are some of these methods and tools.
There are a lot of useful graphs and tables at the book that help you to use introduced methods ans tools.
Dr. Tobias Christian Fischer
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of entrepreneurial books and I like this one especially. It gives you hands-on advices for the start till the feedback loop. It’s easy and do-able.
Laura Montini
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I found the first parts of this book (Design & Test), including the artifacts and examples, much more informative than the largest section of this book — Experiments. The book glossed over the Experiments section too much to be useful. I was familiar with many of these experiment types. For the ones I wasn’t, I was left wondering what their purpose was and how they really worked. I liked whenever the book tried to explain the experiments through case studies, which is how I best learn, but these ...more
Thibaut Van Spaandonck
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Another entrepreneurship classic! Very interesting read on how to test business ideas by providing a very large library of testing experiments. Quite counter intuitively, the book seems more fit for large enterprises than for solopreneurs/entrepreneurs just getting started with something. While many experiments still apply to these, many others require an established, pluridisciplinary team, which is sometimes frustrating for the one getting started with limited resources.

While a very interestin
Christoph
Mar 28, 2021 rated it liked it
I'm a little bit torn about this book. For readers who are new to Lean Business methods, the book probably gives a good intro, frameworks, and mindset to get started. But every aspect is not deep enough explored, to be really actionable. For example, I don't believe that a team is ready to create meaningful insights just by reading this book.
For people who are already experienced in lean prototyping, this book is a nice collection of experiments and is a good read, but in a way just a collection
Kaspars Koo
If you are new to testing business ideas and don't know how to do it, then this is an excellent read.
If you already have some experience with customer interviews, mockups, storyboards, marketing campaigns, and similar ways to test your ideas, then this could be an ok book to have on your table to leaf through for inspiration from time to time.
Probably one of the better ones of Strategyzer books, however, I was hoping for a bit more new ideas and the structure didn't really work for me either.
Peter
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect handbook for testing business ideas, hypotheses, features, products and general data collection on new ventures. The writers present the information in a lean, rich, infographic style that is very easy to reference and interesting. You could read the whole book in a sitting but the real value is in returning when testing hypotheses. One should definitely revisit to look at processes and insights when testing.
Gerard Chiva
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
David Bland and Alex Osterwalder made a great job on putting together a huge repository of all sort of experiments you can run and combine in order to develop a winning business model.

The first part of the book is basically a summary of two previous Alex's books. So before reading this I would recommend you read the previous ones.

Highly recommended for product managers, product teams and entrepreneurs.
Juan Manuel Vera
Great book, as usual....

I really enjoyed this book as all from Strategyzer collection.
the book is a necessary complement of the other two.
Id like te explanation and tips of each one of the experiments and techniques.
Certainly is not a deep book but is a reference book for get ideas and a motivation to go further
Marina Ha
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This became a book that I keep on my desk and open often. I love the visual aspect of this book - helps explain a larger team the approach to testing the business ideas. I also appreciate the authors took the time to structure business idea testing - what often becomes a very messy process.
You do need to have the context of why you want to test the business ideas, how to generate them etc.
GEORGIOS GAVRIIL
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very comprehensive list of potential experiments to be employed for testing business ideas, I wish however that there were more case studies included to highlight the intricacies of each method. Reading this book, helps you select and prioritize these methods but does not actually give you the skillset to actually execute these experiments since each method is only given a summary view.
Yannick
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent companion to the two other great books. Would have been a 5 star if the evidence scale had been consistent when comparing the different testing tools. If you know a bit about stats and social research though, it won't be an issue. ...more
Alex Gostev
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice visual vocabulary of methods for testing business hypothesis. Each method listed in a concise manner and should be researched further before it's applied. The book lays on the surface, not digging deep, though doing the job well. ...more
Jens Poder
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant and practical guide

This book shows you how to execute effectively when developing and testing products. From assumptions mapping to doing experiments in order to remove uncertainty about your business idea. This book will help you all the way.
Ricardo
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great guide to test ideas before expending lots of money

These guide offer options more available and affordable for both businesses and entrepreneurs to test basic aspects of their ideas and sea if it is worth it to move forward before spending money and other resources
Nacho Bassino
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: product, business
A great summary of the experimentation process, with details and examples for multiple types of experiments.
The book is amazingly organized, and experiments are grouped and linked to show you how to use them in each context.
AnxnAnia
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good ideas and structure. But not as awesome as business model canvas and value prop.
coolwind
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
A quite comprehensive hand book of experiment methods.
Bastian
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Great ideas for testing. But too academic in its approach (too many templates and structure).
kurt swakhoven
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great guide

Clear overveiw of techniques, methods and when to apply. Easy to read and links various concepts very well. Not available on e-reader
Kevin Jarvis
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lots of great practical advice. A library of test approaches to turn to when looking to validate any kind of assumptions in product design.
Jig
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Very simple and enclycopedic but some nuggets here will be effective for practice. Something to review as a refresher and inspiration for practitioners but not enough content to go deep.
Jeremy Tay
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great handbook on testing business ideas.
Michael
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple yet powerful method for designing and strenghtening your entrepreneurial project. A reference.
Johann Botha
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good resource to test ideas before you make huge investments!
Frederico Andrade
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ultimate summary and must-have toolkit for people working with innovation.
Salma
Dec 17, 2020 rated it liked it
A good resource for entrepreneurs. Simple and easy to follow.
Robert Jan
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best guidance on experiments I've read (or perhaps better: looked at, as the strength is in the images, not in the text). ...more
Mika Myllymäki
Apr 01, 2021 rated it liked it
The book was great. It just repeats the content from other books in the strategyzer series. There was only few new ideas.
Alfred Nash
May 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A GREAT book. I'm incorporating the ideas from it in my work. I HIGHLY recommend this. ...more

• Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • The Invincible Company: How to Constantly Reinvent Your Organization with Inspiration From the World's Best Business Models
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Business Model Generation
  • Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • The C Programming Language
  • Things As They Really Are
  • Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable… about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
  • Occultist (Saga Online #1)
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Empowered: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Products
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty
  • Shade's First Rule (Divine Apostasy, #1)
  • Gladiators of Warsong (A Hundred Halls: Gamemakers Online, #2)
  • Rebellion (Shadow Sun, #3)
  • Information Dashboard Design: The Effective Visual Communication of Data
See top shelves…
I founded Precoil to help companies find product market fit using lean startup, design thinking and business model innovation. I power the testing practice with my friends over at Strategyzer.

I've helped teams move fast and validate things at companies such as GE, Toyota, Adobe, HP and Behr just to name a few. I've worked with hundreds of teams all around the world and consider myself very lucky

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...
“It’s no surprise that children raised in this style of educational system become adults who often struggle with the idea of being wrong. The culture of rewarding who is right and penalizing who is wrong extends into their businesses. They’ve been conditioned to look for that one right answer.” 0 likes