Start by marking “Mom's Perfect Boyfriend” as Want to Read:
Mom's Perfect Boyfriend

Mom's Perfect Boyfriend

(Smart Companions #1)

A smart romantic comedy about mothers and daughters, and the hilarious consequences of a white lie.

Crystal has trouble saying no to her lonely, single mother. For 25 years, it wasn't a problem. But when one small mistake leaves Crystal jilted, homeless and unemployed, she has to move back in with the one person who caused it all: her mother.

Soon Crystal is suc

Published July 16th 2019 by Galbadia Press

To ask other readers questions about Mom's Perfect Boyfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mom's Perfect Boyfriend

Start your review of Mom's Perfect Boyfriend
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This book was really strange, but not necessarily in a bad way. It took a pretty long time (45%ish) for the cyborg-boyfriend stuff to actually come into play and tbh once it did, nothing totally interesting really even happened? But with that being said I wouldn't necessarily call it a detriment as I did still have a fun time reading this. I enjoyed being dropped into the slice of life-ness of it all. One thing I would like to note though that did kind of rub me wrong was that the characters REA ...more
Toni
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A very short and light-hearted book about mother-daughter reltionships and the pitfalls of trying to please overly demanding parents. It will definitely make a perfect summer read. I loved the form - mostly e-mails, chat, text messages and diary entries. The book was fast-paced and flowed nicely, so I never had a dull moment reading it.

Thank you to Edelweiss and Galbadia Pressfor the ARC provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Mom’s Perfect Boyfriend is a funny and beautiful story that focuses on the loving mother-daughter relationship and presents issues in a comedic, but loving way.

Crystal planned an amazing holiday with her boyfriend, but her mother decides to join them last minute. Crystal is having great difficulties to say no to her mother and this causes her to become single, homeless and unemployed. And now, living with her mother is the only option she has
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was a fun read! I decided to pick this one up because I thought it sounded like the perfect light summer read. I found this to be a really fast-moving book largely because of the way that it was told. This story is presented through text messages, emails, letters, and journal entries. All of these things come together to tell the story from different perspectives.

Crystal and her mother, Margot, are at the core of this story. Th
René
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Actually 3.5 stars.

I won a copy of this book in a raffle and it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for-- a lighthearted, funny, and somewhat silly summer read. Though the plot is somewhat predictable, the characters are certainly relatable and it had me laughing out loud several times.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants a fun weekend read.
Princess
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this from Galbadia Press in exchange for my honest review.
This was a cute, fast read. It explores the relationships between mothers and daughters and also refinding yourself. My only complaint was that the character of Lisa said “aww” to much. Other than that it was a very enjoyable read
Toya
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, rom-com, romance
Mom’s Perfect Boyfriend is a quick read that delves into the messy topic of mother-daughter relationships. Following an unexpected breakup, Crystal invites her mother to join her and her boyfriend David on their Hawaiian vacation. By the end of the vacation, Crystal finds herself unexpectedly single. David decides that he needs space, and Crystal realizes that she needs to find a life outside of pleasing her mother 24/7.

Just when Crystal doesn’t think things could get any worse for her, her comp
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
What a super cute concept for writing a book! There's no "real" prose in this - most is told through various forms of communication including diary entries, text messages, a novel in progress, and emails. It's kind of romantic comedy, and fun look into technology of the future, that is also a fast paced look at mothers and daughters, and their relationships.

Crystal is feeling a bit overwhelmed by her needy mom. So when she signs up for her sisters new work project - a type of experiment with "sm
Mikaela (Booklover1974)
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars rounded up

A cute and a little predicable story that's a perfect light read.
Crystal is trying to find a companion/boyfriend for her mom, who seems lonely, and signs her mom up for being a tester for a robot that looks and acts like a man, without her mom knowing... So when her mom comes home with a boyfriend, she doesn't know it's a robot :)

The story is told in the form of texts, emails and diary entries, which is a fun mix. It was skillfully done by the author.

Bookish Anki

Thanks to Galbadia Press for sending me the ARC in exchange for my review.

I loved & enjoyed reading this book so much. I finished it in a day.

The story is told in form of text, journal entries & emails. It was quick read, funny, emotional & filled with lot of excitement. Once I started reading, it was so interesting that I couldn’t put it aside like literally, I had to know what happened next

Mom’s Perfect Boyfriend also throws light on their mother-daughter relationship, the generation gap & tho
Debbie
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot! It was a quick, quirky light read about a somewhat dysfunctional family. It explores relationships between a couple of generations of mothers and daughters. This book will make a perfect summer read - i found it to have a unique storyline. The entire book is written through text messages, instant messages, journal entries and emails. I liked this format - it made it quick and easy to read. I also love the amazing cover!
Agi
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases, 2019

After her mother hijacks Crystal and her partner's holidays to Hawaii, he decides he needs to take a break. Then Crystal looses her job and, as a result, her home as well, so she decides to move with her mother and focus on finishing her Rapunzel based novel. Is this going to work out? As her mother needs a lot of attention and is very interested in her daughter's life, Crystal decides Margot simply needs a distraction - she signs her mother up as a test person for a "Smart Companion" robot tria
Stuti
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
📍Genre- Romantic Comedy

📍Recommendation- Should Read

🔆Storyline- Crystal’s life is going on perfect. She has a job, a fiancee, a beautiful apartment and is writing a book. Although the only tension in her life is her mother. She loves her and finds it really hard to say no to her, which is also creating problems in her relationship but she has a decided to limit interaction with her and she’s sure it’ll work out.

But then she loses her job, her fiancee, her apartment and, well, she’s pretty skeptic
Gerry Bradshaw
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Mom's Perfect Boyfriend is a fun easy read about a mother-daughter relationship.

When Crystal finds herself in a messy situation - her partner decides they should take a break, after Crystal's mother hijacks their vacation, she looses her job and eventually looses her home as well - she decides to take time off to write on her novel-idea, a continuation of Rapunzel, and does so at her mothers place. That is a recipe for disaster, as her mother takes up lots of her time and nerves, so she actuall
Emilie Hrabak
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Holy cow, was I charmed with this book! I immediately fell in love with the cover (which I know, you can't judge a book by its cover) because it was so unique, so I was very excited to dive into the book.

I love how the book is set up through emails and other chats, and not your traditional story-format. I laughed numerous times while reading and the characters were so enjoyable and likable.

I am very excited to s
Caity
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect fun summer read. The android aspect of the book is amazing, it manages the perfect balance between crazy sci fi and actually... maybe not that far off. It's so easy to suspend your disbelief and be sucked right into the thick of it. Not only is the whole situation laugh out loud funny but the book also has so much heart in the characters. The main characters are the mother and daughter who obviously love each other just as much as they drive each other crazy. Added to this mix ...more
Kristin
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was adorable, hilarious, and at some points I had to stop reading and make sure the conversations in the book were not actual conversations I had with my own mother. The story line was unique, and I really, really must know if "Tricerarapture" will ever truly be an actual book, because a romance novel based on dinosaurs??? Lol
Vicki (MyArmchairAdventures)
3.75 Stars!

{ partner | @galbadiapress }

Mom’s Perfect Boyfriend by @crystalhemmingway is due out on July 16th. A fresh, uniquely formatted story told via email exchanges, IM, texts and diary entries, this was a fun read that in a surprising twist is somewhat autobiographical. Even though it reads quickly and with a light, romantic comedy feel, Mom’s Perfect Boyfriend covers the complicated relationships between moms and daughters.

Crystal’s fiancé needs a break from their relationship almost the
Julia
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Absolutely loved the format of this book. Very 21st century. Emails, journal entries, messages, novel excerpts make up the story of this novel.

Made for a quick and cozy read.
Danika Stone
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute and quirky story told through a variety of interfaces, Mom’s Perfect Boyfriend is a modern take on the classic beach read. Fast paced and funny, it explores the complexities of relationships without ever losing its sense of humor.
Isobel
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Cute epistolary read. This novel includes romance, but is not a romance novel; I would say it is more about family and understanding. It reads quickly, and with a quirky sense of humor that makes the entire implausible book worth the read.

Recommend!
Rachel
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ⭐️

A hilarious story between a mother and her daughters written in epistolary format makes for an easy summer read. Between the creative creation of a Boople Android, Margot’s marshmallow baking gig, and Crystal’s velociraptor erotica, the story becomes most alive in their journal entries. I feel as if there could be more character development and a more engaging first half; the Boople chats were casual (as they were meant to be), but I personally could’ve done without the plentiful “aws,” “l
Tiffany
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 ⭐ rounded up
Linda Hepworth
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Crystal Hemmingway’s inability to resist the ceaseless demands of her lonely, single mother leads to her boyfriend, David, deciding that he wants to take time out from their relationship, and instead spend a few months hiking the 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail with an old friend. When Crystal is then made redundant, and David’s contribution to the rent on their apartment fails to materialise, she is forced to move back home to live with her mother, Margot. However, she wants to make positive use ...more
Michelle Boyea
Quirky Mom Books
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Does your Mom drive you crazy at times?! This book captures perfectly the modern relationship between independent child and overbearing mom. I absolutely loved this book. It was super light hearted and funny. The characters were each complex in their own way even through the different methods the story was told: emails, texts, journal entries and letters.

Author @crystalhemmingway writes the Crystal character in a way that I felt as if I was reading journal entries from my own life. I completely
Ahana M Rao (Heart’s Content)
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, edelweiss
*Received an ARC from publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.*

When I read the Author’s Note in this book, I pretty much strapped on my seatbelt, curled my fingers around (imaginary) oh-shit bars and prepared for the ride. However, Mom’s Perfect Boyfriend hadn’t been a rush of exhilaration and laughter as I imagined it would be. And perhaps because of that, I took awhile to lose myself in the rhythm of this book.

No, this book was…quite realistic. I can’t define it any other way
Jennifer M.
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-ebook, 2019-reads
Thanks so much to the publishers and NetGalley for the advanced copy in exchange for my review! Pub Date July 16, 2019!

What an incredibly fun and silly way to spend a few hours! (Well, okay. I didn't finish it in a few hours. But this was a very fast read, even for someone who is as slow of a reader as I am, so if I hadn't had to work yesterday I probably could have finished it within just a few hours.)

This book is all told through the form of texts, instant messages, emails, journal entries,
Chyina Powell
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Received as an ARC in return for an honest review.

Hemmingway's forthcoming novel was extremely funny and interesting. "Mom's Perfect Boyfriend" is a story about a girl named Crystal and her overbearing mother who can't seem to go ten minutes without texting or calling one of her two daughters. Crystal finally gets sick of not having time to herself and always being guilt-tripped into acting like her mom's assistant, buying her groceries and finding items she loses around the house. So, when she
BookTrib.com
Mom’s Perfect Boyfriend (Galbadia Press) is more than a contemporary romance: it’s futuristic. It imagines a time very close to the present in which robots may be more than the machines we know—they could be personal companions.

And none too soon for our protagonist’s mother. Crystal Hemmingway (yes, the author and the main character share a name) is a fiancée and technical writer—until a disastrous “romantic” trip to Hawaii (in which her mother Margot joins) leads to a “break”, and a company lay
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Been There, Married That
  • The New Husband
  • On the Corner of Love and Hate (Hopeless Romantics, #1)
  • The Accidental Life Swap
  • A Royal Christmas Wish: An Enchanting Christmas Romance from Hallmark Publishing
  • Twenty-one Truths About Love
  • Not Like the Movies (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #2)
  • That's What Frenemies Are For
  • The Plus One
  • The Night Swim
  • The Woman in the Park
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
Crystal Hemmingway is a corporate washout and novelist. She lives in Los Angeles with her favorite person and two cats. In her spare time, Crystal enjoys binge-watching TV shows, eating sugary cereals, and pretending to write at coffee shops.