Start by marking “Possessed” as Want to Read:
Possessed

Possessed

When a blood-soaked man is discovered with the word Baal-Berith scored into his flesh, the bewildered police call on expert Professor Matt Hunter to assist. Before long, a gruesome discovery is made and Hunter is drawn into a frenzied murder investigation.

Published February 20th 2020 by Allison & Busby

To ask other readers questions about Possessed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Possessed

Start your review of Possessed
Liz Barnsley
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh another heart pounding novel here from Peter Laws featuring Matt Hunter, ex minister now supernatural debunker, whose “stage presence” in these stories is second to none. Both funny and fascinating he gets called in whenever things get, erm, a tiny bit weird.

Well things are most definitely weird in this instalment, as it seems demonic possession is on the rise- with a brutal murder in the mix, plus a claim that the demon did it, with his usual eye roll and tendency towards the more lo
 Reading Reindeer 2021 On Proxima Centauri
Matt Hunter #4

British Matt Hunter is a former Baptist minister who lost his faith and now serves as a professor of Sociology of Religion. A very erudite and highly educated individual with deep knowledge of ancient and historical texts, both medieval and arcane, Hunter also exhibits an occasional lowbrow humor which provides comic relief in a very serious novel.

Called in as an "expert" due to the combination of his ministerial background, his erudition, and his current position as Professor, he
Kate
Absolutely superb - genuinely thrilling, chilling, exciting and intriguing and also written with a great deal of wit and warmth. Matt Hunter is a terrific hero and here he is tested to his limits. What a fantastic story! I've enjoyed all of these books but I think this one could well be my favourite. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights. ...more
peggy
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A new author for me and WOW WHAT A READ!!!!!
Gripping, scary, atmospheric and utterly bloody brilliant. This is the fourth book in the Matt Hunter series a priest who plays amateur detective with shall I say things that go bump in the night but SO much more. I have enjoyed this book so much I have purchased the others in this series so I can read them from the start. A MUST READ and so highly recommended.
Thanks to Allison and Busby and Netgalley for the ARC.
Gordon Mcghie
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
After a run of reading a run of crime novels it was a welcome change of tone to pick up Possessed and let some demonic possession into my reading.

This chilling tale puts Professor Matt Hunter back into the thick of the action as he faces the horror of a brutal murder and then the even more alarming prospect of a reality television show seeking to exorcise demons from a group of individuals who believe they are each possessed.

Matt is initially asked to assist the police after a suspect showing si
Emma
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All of my reviews can be found at https://damppebbles.com/

I chose to read and review an eARC copy of Possessed but that has in no way influenced my review.

It was around this time last year that I first discovered how utterly brilliant Laws’ writing is. I picked up a copy of Purged, the first book in the Matt Hunter series, and devoured it in a few short sittings. I have a bit of a thing for crime/horror crossover novels so the books Laws writes really appeal to me. My plan, as bookish plans norm
Angela Watt
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I'll start by saying that I love the books by Peter Laws, and this one was not an exception. I've read all four in the Matt Hunter series and raced through them.

Each book has been a page-turner, but this one is a real thrill ride. The first chapter starts with what appears to be a pretty typical early morning village scene and then turns into something quite horrific. It reminded me very much of some of the Horror movies I've watched where evil turns up in the most routine and mundane places une
Lee Franklin
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Contrary Reader
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I bloody loved this book- and now have the long wait to book five coming out to wonder how much darker Matt Hunter’s life is going to get.

It has it all, tension- fear- humour and reflection. Just hopefully not shadowy ones with pointed ears
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
Review for 'Possessed ' by Peter Laws

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Allison & Busby publishing.

This is the first book that I have read by this author. It most definitely won't be my last and I've already added all his other books to my wishlists. This is the fourth book in the 'Matt Hunter' series but can easily be read as a standalone which is what I did with no problems at all.

Written in 3 parts with 64 chapters. The chapters are approx 3 to 5 pages long, so ideal if you want to read '
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review for 'Possessed ' by Peter Laws

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Allison & Busby publishing.

Heather Mashnouk brandon
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You know how you yell at the fool in the horror movie going to investigate the strange noise?

Yeah, you might find yourself yelling at characters in this book for the same reason. When a catatonic man covered in blood is brought in to a police station, they are baffled by an odd name carved into his stomach. So they call in expert Matt Hunter to help them determine what on earth is going on. What begins as a John Doe case quickly turns into a murder investigation further fueled by the belief that
Jane
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Demons, whispering from the shadows, names carved into vulnerable flesh. Memories, whispering slithering, tormenting, suggesting. Welcome to Possessed, the forth in Peter Laws’ Matt Hunter series, combining the everyday with the esoteric

Possessed is a great addition to the Matt Hunter stable, eminently readable, gleefully gory, yet holding a deeper resonance that makes you think even after the screaming stops. It switches between the lens of reality, and the distortion of the subconscious. It ta
Hannelore Cheney
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Allison and Busby for the eARC.
Professor Matt Hunter is called in by the local police because they're baffled and hope he can shed some light on the bloodied man who has just killed his wife in a horrific way. He seems to believe he's possessed and Matt is a bit of an expert on the subject of demons, not believing in them but looking for mental health issues instead. The case takes quite a turn, involving the media, a pastor and several others who believe they are also po
Billie
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With a fury of media interest in the case, and the emerging link to a documentary on demonic possession, Hunter is unable to escape a dark world of exorcism and violence … even when events spiral frighteningly out of control.

This is a brilliant
darin chew
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Professor Matt Hunter is called in by the local police to investigate when an unidentified and blood soaked man is discovered with the name Baal-Berith scored into his flesh.

As an atheist ex-minister and expert on religion, Matt can shed light on the ancient Canaanite demon known as the spirit of blasphemy and murder, but as he's drawn into a frenzied murder investigation when a widely known American exorcist appears on the scene. Matt's scientific rationalism is tested against blind faith in w
Stephanie
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Possessed is the fourth book in the Matt Hunter series and the first that I have read. I had no issues about joining this series late apart from a need to know what happened to his mother and to know more about his wife Wren but I will read those earlier books, this was a book I really enjoyed.

Matt was a character that I really liked. Funny, down to earth and the only one involved in the exorcism show who managed to keep a level head. It’s something that I don’t know if I could achieve with the
Sue Blanchard
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thankyou to NetGalley, Allison and Busby and the author, Peter Laws, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of Possessed in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I was so excited to receive a copy of this book. I have read and enjoyed the other books in the Matt Hunter series, so I knew Possessed was going to be an incredible read. I was not disappointed.
The characters, the narrative and the settings were rich in detail and draws you in. I had to read this book in one sitting as it w
Annarella
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's the first book I read in this series and won't surely be the last as I found it excellent.
It's scary, gripping, enthralling and it makes you feel scared and curious about what will come next.
I loved the style of writing, the amazing world building and the well thought cast of characters.
it was an excellent read, highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Karen Perkins
Darkly Disturbing and Gruesomely gripping

In Possessed, Peter Laws takes his readers by the hand and leads them into a dark labyrinth constructed of an original blend of murder and exorcism, media and demons, religion and psychology. His characters are so real, I tried to take them by the hand and pull them out again!
A thought provoking blend of crime and horror, and an utterly compelling read/listen. I loved it!
Mary Lou Rounds
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first started this book, I did not think I would like the story or plot, but I kept reading. And, I was wrong about my preview opinion! It is a very interesting view into human understanding of the human mind, and pre-expectations of solutions to problems of the mind by diverse groups. It was well researched, and well written in my opinion. Well worth the read!
Louie Jordan
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5* but rounding up to 4. Probably one of the better ‘paranormal’ thrillers I’ve read, however it didn’t quite get me in the end. No real ‘twists’ but I thoroughly enjoyed the first part to this book, definitely freaked me out.

Picked it up randomly in a 3 for £5 deal at ‘The Works’ - so it was nice surprise!
Phil
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good, entertaining story. A definite page turner
It is part of a series but can be read quite happily as a standalone as no previous knowledge of the characters is required in order to thoroughly enjoy the book .
LimeCream
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this horror/mystery. Gripped from the first page, I read this at one sitting.

Blinking brilliant book.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for allowing me to read a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Kathryn Garner
Feb 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
Not my cup of tea. Too gory,muddled and unrealistic. A murder triangle wrapped up in demon mumbo jumbo.
Rachel N
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*5 stars!!
Simona
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this - will go back and start with Bk 1
Kevin Lucia
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, just like all the others. Review on CDONLINE coming soon.
Kathleen Robson
Feb 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Overall good. Quite scary at times, too many new characters parachuted in towards the end. Worth a read.
Genevieve  Paquette
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Best one yet. Cracking story, great mystery with a satisfying conclusion, and a few interesting twists. I'm not sure how long a series based on debunking religion based mysteries can last, but I'm definitely up for more.
I'm interested to see if this was the end if the bunny demon arc or not. Is there really something supernatural out there? Is that the endgame? Or will we discover that it's all down to apophenia, or like, a brain tumor, or toxic mold spores? I'm hedging my bets.

• Purged (Matt Hunter, #1)
  • The Friend Zone (The Friend Zone, #1)
  • Unleashed (Matt Hunter, #2)
  • Dear Edward
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • House of Shadows (Ghosts and Shadows,#1)
  • The Sundial: A Ghost Story for Christmas
  • The Old Nurse's Story
  • Unsinkable: My Story
  • The Burning Men (DI Alex Finn, #1)
  • The Alibi Girl
  • After the Accident
  • Blacklands (Exmoor Trilogy #1)
  • The Guest List