Start by marking “It All Comes Back to You” as Want to Read:
It All Comes Back to You

It All Comes Back to You

Alabama, 1947.

War's over, cherry-print dresses, parking above the city lights, swing dancing.

Beautiful, seventeen-year-old Violet lives in a perfect world.
Everybody loves her.

In 2012, she's still beautiful, charming, and surrounded by admirers.

Veronica "Ronni" Johnson, licensed practical nurse and aspiring writer, meets the captivating Violet in the assisted
Published August 28th 2018 by The Art of Dixie (first published August 27th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about It All Comes Back to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It All Comes Back to You

Start your review of It All Comes Back to You
Elizabeth
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will be your next book club read, you'll learn from it, and you might get in an argument with your friends about perception of some of the plot elements. A cordial, "Bless your heart" insult kind of Southern tiff. But then everyone with sip some wine and laugh it off.

I donated sleep to this book and it was totally warranted. I crave books that challenge me, contain deep and meaningful themes and color authentic and rich characters. This book has all of those attributes in addition to being
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
You have a knack for painting pictures with words. Youʹre obliged to use it.

This wonderful book alternates between the past and present. Ronni is trying to write a book about Violet's life and her loves and losses. Ronni's side of the story also includes a little romance and her job working in a nursing home, where she met Violet. I especially enjoyed the parts of the book detailing Violet's life. Being taken back to post-war Alabama was exceptional. I could have read a whole novel on Violet's
Sharon Naylor Toris
So completely engaging from the start, with richly-painted characters and realistic presence in each time period. Violet is entrancing and strong, the center of our focus, and we hold on to so much hope for her. Author has painted rich scenery and carries us on a lovely cadence. Some excellent surprises and a stellar ending make this an excellent read. One of my favorite stories this year.
Edna
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It All Comes Back To You
By Beth Duke

Thank you, NetGalley for the opportunity to read this amazing book. I would have not found it otherwise.

Alternating chapters between Homecoming Queen Violet in 1947 and can't-quite-find-her-crown Ronni in the present, IT ALL COMES BACK TO YOU is Southern Fiction at its hilarious, warm, sad, outrageous, uplifting, and stunning best. In the tradition of Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and Olive Kitteridge, Duke delivers an unforgettable elderly character to
Alicia Miller
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, netgalley
This easily had me staying up way too late to finish and I don't regret a single moment. The story is so well written and heart wrenching and full of surprises, I didn't want to put it down! The characters are lovable and I felt like I was living their lives along with them. Excellent book!

Thank you to Netgalley, the publishers, and Beth Duke for the opportunity to read this amazing story!
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Southern fiction and our book group chose this and Where the Crawdads Sing for this year. Both are great examples of the literary tradition of the South, lush with details and characters you can’t forget. This book left me so sadly missing the two women, Violet and Ronni, who had become like friends. I hope there is a sequel to this. One of my favorite books of the last ten years!
margaret aderholdt
An outstanding book that captured my imagination from the start. A heartwarming story that reminds us of the special family and friends who circle in and out of our lives.

An outstanding book that reminds us that life is full of surprises!
I became so attached to the characters that I hated to see it end.
I look forward to reading more from Beth Duke in the future.
Darlene Richards
Finished at 3 am. Really good book and different from anything I’ve read. I love the dual storylines with Violet and Ronni. I recommend this book!
Alex (Gadget Girl 71)
Ronni is a nurse who works in an old people’s home/assisted living. She loves her job and the people she cares for, but she has aspirations to be an author. She is very insecure and holds a lot of hurt in her heart. Taken away from her mother and put in care all Ronni wants is to be loved, she if finally adopted at the age of 16, but encounters heartbreak again when they both pass away.

Ronni has a favourite in the home/assisted living. Violet who even in old age is still stunningly beautiful,
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Hard to say how I felt about this book. It was definitely a good story, especially that little ending bit (you'll be wondering why the book is called that right up to the end). But there's just something in it that didn't hook me. The story is quite sad, and then there's the whole thing of me being skeptical of lifelong love stories when the people are not together. So I think it's just me! And you might love it.

The book is wistful, sad and it has some very strong characters that I truly admired
The Cats’ Mother
It has taken me over nine days to finish this book, which is very unusual, and while part of that is just life getting busy for various reasons, I will admit that had it not been a review copy, I would’ve abandoned it once it became clear that it’s fundamentally a romance novel disguised as a Lovely Book. It’s been a difficult week here in New Zealand, and perhaps if I had switched to something more gripping for distraction, and returned to it later, I might have enjoyed it more. Or maybe it was ...more
Liz
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved everything about this book! Our book group read it this month, and Duke is a new author for me, but I am adding all her books to my TBR. Violet is a character I will never forget, and Ronni feels like an old friend. I disagreed with most of my group, though! Chet is the most fascinating character of all. I guess most people have different feelings about him, but he just made the book for me. Layered and nuanced and I could NOT put it down. Read this!
Rissa
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, nook
It all comes back to you
Violet has her life together while Ronni needs help figuring out what she is supposed to be doing with her life. Ronni wants to be a writer and violet convinces her to start that process. It had potential but didnt get there.

The story was slow and I didnt connect with the characters. The ending, the very, very last few pages ending was good and we finally get to see why the title is the way it is but it took awhile to build up and get there.
This book didnt do it for
Jane
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It All Comes Back To You is a book that should be read and shared. The synopsis barely scratches the surface of this complex endearing, unexpected story. Readers will be drawn into Violet’s life story and hope that Ronni finds her voice and her happy ever after. The author evokes southern life of the mid last century and readers unfamiliar with those times will see that even as mores loosened over the ensuing years, the longings of humanity has remained largely the same. I received a copy of ...more
Keitha Kirk
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beth Duke has done it again!!! I received my book today and didn't put it down until I finished it. Set in my hometown of Anniston, Calhoun Co., AL it is remarkably accurate in the location and the history. Showing Violet the Arches was a wonderful idea (and those from Anniston know what I am talking about, and it's not the McDonald's arches). You will laugh, smile, and cry. As I told Beth, the book shows the true meaning of the question, "What if...?".
Annarella
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A charming, well written, and enthralling book.
I requested because I was attracted by the cover and the synopsis, was hooked since the first pages.
I loved the characters, well written and fleshed out, the setting and the plot.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC
Els
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I knooow better than to read this kind of book. Should have dnf'ed at 20% like I meant to. Nicht mein typ. At all. Plus . . . there were a few problematic issues.
Amy Bruno
This year is shaping up to be one of my best years of reading yet! I've been super lucky with books this year and have found some true gems. And now I can add It All Comes Back to You to that list!

Ronni works at an upscale Nursing Home when a patient that she was close to, Violet, passes away and leaves her an inheritance in her will. There's a stipulation to the inheritance though. Ronni must write a book within one year based on Violet's life using the letters that Violet left to Ronni. She
Holly
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
It All Comes Back to You is an enjoyable read that will keep your attention. There are many emotions the reader will feel while reading this book - happiness, sadness, surprise, and some anger for starters. Duke weaves together two stories of strong women, one taking place in the 1940s/1950s and the other is current day. Topical themes are explored in It All Comes Back to You, such as adoption, domestic abuse, mother/daughter relationships, and aging.

The story centers around Ronni, a nurse who
Rebecca Brannon
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everyone has a story but not every story is told. This book not only tells the story but it pulls you inside and makes you wish you could live within. Taking place in the Heart of Dixie, It All Comes Back To You tells the story of Violet, a feisty older lady who has taken over Fairfield Springs nursing home and Ronni the young nurse that Violet takes under her wing. Both searching for a love once lost, but instead finding friendship and strength in each other. The duel timeline allows the reader ...more
Cheryl Brown
I read this book in several hours, I couldn't put it down the characters seem like friends that you wanted to comfort and help. The story of Violet and Ronnie takes us back to the late forties and fifties while Ronnie is a woman of today yet the bond of friendship these two forge is beautiful, both women have led a life with trauma but still get up every morning and go on with life. What we learn of their lives bring tears to your eyes but the strength they share flows right into you. This is ...more
Paul Hackley
Jun 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is possibly the worst book that I ever held in my hands. I didn’t read all of it, it made me sick to think that I would waste my time reading that stupid book any further than 62 pages. The writing is so bad; it’s like, duh, are you in middle school? And the plot is the worst;, if you couldn’t guess it was the Chet kid, then you’re just not paying attention. I think the blurb reviews on the back cover were totally made up out of thin air by the author so she could sell her book. I ...more
Judy
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The two main characters in this story are Violet and Ronni. What an interesting story they each have. Just when I think I know where the story is going – nope, a little surprise shows up. This story deals with some unpleasant aspects of life, but told in a way you feel it and it’s very life like. I got caught up in the story and with these characters. I felt their heartache and their joys. I loved this story, the characters and the surprises. I think you will too.

Susan
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m truthfully quite surprised by the high ratings on this book. While the story itself was decent (albeit way too unrealistic in spots), the writing came off as very juvenile. This may be because I listened to the book and the narrator was absolutely horrendous and annoying (terrible faux southern accent and way way too cutesy and flippant) but I really just think this isn’t a great book. With so many great books out there, I’d recommend skipping this one. ...more
Amanda Horne
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had been saving this book for a weekend that I could just sit down and enjoy some good reading time...and I was so happy that I did! The writing is beautiful and the story so engaging that I could not put it down and completed reading it in a day. Such an enjoyable day. I miss the characters, and the humor already. Thank you, Beth, I will be re-reading this again soon.
Ashleigh Myers
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Waited until after book group to write a review, because I knew we’d argue a lot over this one. The more I think about the plot and the characters, the more I’ve decided it’s a 5 star book instead of 4. The Well Read Ladies couldn’t agree on one character (is he good or bad?), no spoilers, but we agreed it was a good read.
Toya
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It All Comes Back to You is definitely one of those books that is perfect for book clubs because everyone is going to react differently to the plot elements and the conversation surrounding it would be really eye-opening. Alas, I don’t have a book club (yet!).

The story alternates between two POVs: present day Ronni and 1947 Homecoming Queen Violet. Ronni’s story focuses on how she started her job at the nursing home where she eventually meets Violet as well as her desire to be loved;
HollyLovesBooks
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a sweet, lovely Southern tale. It is good timing for me. I am currently caring for my aging grandmother in a nursing facility who is equally mentally sharp and southern. This was a delightful read. We are also both readers so this is a poignant book from that standpoint as well.
Living in a small southern town, it is fun to read a book with this setting. I appreciate the language and the dialogue.

Beautiful cover as well!

#ItAllComesBackToYou #NetGalley
Cathy Ring
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Beth Duke’s book and loved each one. However, there is something purely magical about this one. It captured my attention in the first chapter and by the 2nd, I couldn’t put it down! Every character starting with Violet reminds me of someone I’ve known. I recommended the book to several of my friends and we planned to read it as a Book Club selection but several health issues popped up and while they were stuck at home each of my friends picked up the book and finished it in 2 ...more
Susie Stephenson
I love a good 'can't put it down' book! Thanks, Beth Duke. I felt I could absolutely relate to the quirky characters and that was evident from the very first page. I enjoyed this book very much and look forward to reading more!
Goodreads Librari...: Please help! 6 31 Feb 20, 2019 06:53AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please Update Kindle Cover 3 15 Feb 13, 2019 12:03PM

• When We Believed in Mermaids
  • Stay
  • Where The Story Starts
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • The Family Journal
  • A Day Without Mama (Tom the Good Book 1)
  • Have You Seen Luis Velez?
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
  • Winter Cottage
  • The Empty Nesters
  • Last Day
  • The Art of Inheriting Secrets

Beth Dial Duke is an Amazon #1 Best Selling author and the recipient of short story awards on two continents.
She is eyeing the other five.
Beth lives in the mountains of her native Alabama with her husband, one real dog, one ornamental dog, and a flock of fluffy pet chickens.
She loves reading, writing, and not arithmetic.
Baking is a hobby, with semi-pro cupcakes and amateur macarons a specialty.
“You should always walk like you have a crown on your head, Ronni. You are beautiful when you radiate confidence. Remember that.” 2 likes
“I started collecting something of my own: words.” 1 likes