Start by marking “A Walking Shadow (Backstage Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
A Walking Shadow (Backstage Mystery #1)

A Walking Shadow (Backstage Mystery #1)

To achieve her heart’s desire, a novice actress may very well have to sell her soul.

In 1871, Lillian Nolan accepts a small role in Macbeth, and finally fulfills her dream of becoming an actress. That is until the renowned, but venomous, female star of the production is murdered onstage opening night. When her enraged spirit haunts the theater, Lillian is shocked to di
Published February 13th 2019 (first published June 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Walking Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Walking Shadow

Yvonne Davies
Written like a memoir for her great grandniece Agnes, Lillian Nolan tells the story of her first performance on stage when the famous Irene Davenport dies on stage. One thing I quickly realised was when Lillian was 17 years old, the life of an actress was not a respected trade and they were treated like 2nd rate citizens. You had to be brave to choose that career and have to have a thick thin, to ignore all the snide comments. Lillian was one such girl, not afraid to get what she wanted, she was ...more
Jessica Belmont
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Walking Shadow is a compelling historical novel with murder mystery and a bit of a paranormal twist. I am really starting to love well written historical novels and this one is fabulous!

It’s written like a memoir of Lillian’s first performance on stage with the famous Irene Davenport, who subsequently dies on stage. I loved hearing the story from Lillian’s point of view. She is headstrong and not afraid to go after what she wants.

Elizabeth Ireland has created a really compelling novel. Set in
Karen Cole
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Walking Shadow opens with a prologue which briefly introduces Irene Davenport, a celebrated actress who is making a return to Chicago, the city she despises and in which she began her career. Her opening night performance of Lady Macbeth is a triumph but the evening ends in a shocking tragedy which is observed by a young extra, Lillian Nolan, whose life is about to change in the most unexpected way.
The remainder of the book takes an epistolary form as the now eighty year old Lillian writes to
Steph Warren
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book with thanks to the author and Rachel Gilbey at Rachel’s Random Resources blog tours. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

A Walking Shadow is a cosy murder mystery with a few differences.

The obvious one is the ghostly aspect, as Lillian is sensitive to the spiritual world and therefore her amateur investigation into death at Macbeth is helped, or hindered by visions, voices and actual physical possession.

The narration is given to us directly in
FNM
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the Author and Rachel’s Random Resources for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Now this is a different sort of book then I usually go for but I’m sure glad I got the opportunity to read this! Written as a memoir we follow Lillian and her love for the theater before it takes a supernatural/murder mystery sort of twist. This did take me a bit to get into but this may of been due to this not being my typical sort of book. I enjoyed the writing and the pacin
Lel Budge
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Walking Shadow by Elizabeth Ireland is historical fiction, but with a twist……there’s murder and mystery…

It gradually unfolds into a very clever and engaging read….

Lillian is so excited, she has been offer a part in the Shakespeare play, Macbeth. But, then tragedy strikes as the leading lady is murdered.

Lillian can see her ghost and while terrified, she starts to investigate……who is the killer? And why?

This is told from Lillian’s perspective and is a memoir of her thespian life, the life backst
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
This is a great historical read with a twist of murder and mystery. I have to say that I enjoy Historical reads because I love History and this book takes you on such a ride that as your reading it you can't believe what is unfolding and you keep reading because you have to know what is going to happen next.

Lillian accepts a part in the Macbeth play and she is so excited. That is until the leading lady is murdered. It is then that Lillian's life is going to change because she can see and hear th
Christine Woinich
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Took a bit to get into but once I got involved, it was a heck of a ride. The spiritual aspect added some thrill to the backdrop of the Great Chicago Fire. I enjoyed how the story was told in a memoir. Lillian/Rosemary grew up during this story, and I look forward to her further adventures. She was such an innocent and helped solve a mystery that brought her into a great understanding of love, family, and life.

I received an ARC through Enticing Journey Book Promotions, and this is my unsolicited
Caroline Venables
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and the author’s knowledge of the theatre flows through the book as she tells the story of Lillian Nolan. A girl whose love for the stage, forced her family to disown her.

At the beginning of the book a great stage actress Irene Davenport dies on Lillian’s first night working in the theatre. It is ruled to be a tragic accident but Lillian soon learns that she has a role to play in finding who killed the actress.

A great read which covers lots of different genres, historical, mys
Patricia Bowen
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author's experience with and love for theater comes through on every page. Narrated by the protagonist, I felt like I was sitting at her side while she told the tale of her first big role, from the first shocking murder scene to the fiery, cinematic ending. Well done. Looking forward to the next in this series.
Derith Rolfe
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Not for me

This is enjoyable enough. Not spellbinding, but we'll written and moves along in a pleasant enough manner. However, it wasn't what I had expected from the description. I like to finish a book if I start it. But I really didn't care by the end. Which incidentally was a bot rushed,.
Patricia Gulley
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A story told as a memoir and seems it will continue into different parts of Rosemary/Lillian's life. A good enough ghost/mystery story taking place backstage of a theater, but when the mystery is solved it moves the character into the great fire of Chicago, which made me mostly skim through it.
Stephanie
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Note: I read this book under a different title - "A Walking Shadow").

I found the backdrop of a theatre in Chicago in the 1870s fascinating. It was interesting to see how little actresses were thought of in those days (which is such a difference from our celebrity culture now).

Irene Davenport, the leading lady of the times (and murder victim) was, to put it nicely, a vain, mean-spirited diva, but even so, the suspect list isn’t as forthcoming at the start of the story.

I really enjoyed seeing the
Robin Chalk
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engrossing historical mystery. Enjoyed it thoroughly!
BookLogix
Andi
mary craig
Rosemary Hughes
Mar 08, 2019
Elizabeth Ireland discovered her passion for theater early. After receiving undergraduate and graduate degrees in Theater, she accepted a teaching position in a vibrant performing arts department at a college in northern Illinois. For ten years, she taught, directed and ran front-of-house operations. American Theater History—particularly that of the 19th century—has always been of particular inter ...more